Start by marking “The Forging of a Black Community: Seattle's Central District from 1870 Through the Civil Rights Era” as Want to Read:

The Forging of a Black Community: Seattle's Central District from 1870 Through the Civil Rights Era (Emil and Kathleen Sick Series in Western History and Biography)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Through much of the twentieth century, black Seattle was synonymous with the Central District - a four-square-mile section near the geographic center of the city. Quintard Taylor explores the evolution of this community from its first few residents in the 1870s to a population of nearly forty thousand in 1970. With events such as the massive influx of rural African America ...more
Published July 1st 1994 by University of Washington Press (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Forging of a Black Community, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forging of a Black Community

fletch
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone familiar with Seattle
Excellent and enlightening case history of the Central District: "Racial toleration is meaningless if people are excluded from the vital economic center and relegated to the margins of the urban economy. Seattle, whether in the 1870s or the 1960s, provided substantive evidence of the limits of a racial liberalism incompatible with economic inclusion. Indeed Seattle's apparent success, and its underlying failure, in its race relations paradigm has been its meticulously crafted image which promote ...more
Josephine Ensign
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating, troubling, and illuminating, this now almost classic narrative history is a must-read for anyone calling Seattle home.
Faye
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
The best thing about this text was the angle of the scholarship. Meaning, it explored a relatively un-researched population. I found the account too sterile and academic. I guess I prefer my scholarship in the narrative and I was spoiled because I read this right after Leon Litwack's Trouble in Mind.
Phillip
Dense with information but easy to follow and well organized. Brings outsiders perspective to Local History
Mike
Sep 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really don't read enough history books to know, but I think this is a pretty solid book.
Enrique
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoy his lectures on the UW channel here in Seattle. I need to read more of his works so that I might see what else he knows about Seattle's rich history.
Abby
Jan 05, 2011
Billie
Aug 09, 2013
Andrew
rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2012
Cori
May 25, 2014
Taylor Curtis
Jan 15, 2015

Emil and Kathleen Sick Series in Western History and Biography (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Great Columbia Plain: A Historical Geography, 1805-1910
  • Mills and Markets: A History of the Pacific Coast Lumber Industry to 1900
  • Radical Heritage: Labor, Socialism, and Reform in Washington and British Columbia, 1885-1917
  • The Battle for Butte: Mining and Politics on the Northern Frontier, 1864-1906
  • Warren G. Magnuson and the Shaping of Twentieth-Century America
  • The Atomic West (Emil and Kathleen Sick Lecture-Book Series in Western History and Biography)
  • Power & Place in the North American West