Start by marking “Prince Caspian (Evergreen Library)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Prince Caspian

C.S. Lewis

Prince Caspian (The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  282,105 Ratings  ·  4,987 Reviews
The Pevensie siblings are back to help a prince denied his rightful throne as he gathers an army in a desperate attempt to rid his land of a false king. But in the end, it is a battle of honor between two men alone that will decide the fate of an entire world.
Published by Collins (first published October 15th 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Prince Caspian, please sign up.

Susan Prudhomme I think you have me beat, Andromeda, although I don't keep count. It was fun re-reading it this time, because I was reminded of all the ways the movie…moreI think you have me beat, Andromeda, although I don't keep count. It was fun re-reading it this time, because I was reminded of all the ways the movie departed from it. Also because it's a better story than I remembered. I usually go for The Horse and His Boy, or The Magician's Nephew.(less)
Colin It is the order in which they were originally published, it was only later that publishers decided to order them in chronological order of events,…moreIt is the order in which they were originally published, it was only later that publishers decided to order them in chronological order of events, claiming that this was Lewis' own recommendation, although this is disputed (eg. by CS Lewis expert Alister Mcgrath thinks it is misleading to claim Lewis wanted people to read them in that order). (less)

Patrick
I read this aloud to my older boy, age 6.

It's a good book, and he enjoyed it, but didn't ring the bell in the same way Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe did. I think the biggest reason for this, was that it wasn't as accessible to him.

The first issue was the non-linear story. Which has the potential to confuse. Later, Lewis splits the party in a way that divides the action in the story.

But the biggest issue is that the characters lapse into archaic, courtly English when the a bunch of the people are
P
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, classics
“Things never happen the same way twice.”

Admittedly Prince Caspian was boring at first for I didn't like the symbolic meaning of the whole book. It was hard to read and that incredible ending nearly shut me out from enjoying, it's abrupt and unsatisfied at all. Although I quie liked the movie, the book is so much different. The pace is excruciatingly slow. I didn't like the over-descriptive narration talking about everything including flowers, sky, and trees.

“Wouldn't it be dreadful if some
Whitney Atkinson
I'm mad at myself because I wanted to read the first of the Narnia series before reading this one for class, but I didn't quite make it.

I loved this story because I love Lucy and Aslan and Caspian, but there were a lot of side characters who I didn't care much about and the villain in this book wasn't so interesting. Nevertheless, a muuuuch easier read than Lord of the Rings!!
Ahmad Sharabiani
Prince Caspian: the return to Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
عنوان: ماجراهای نارنیا - کتاب 2: شاهزاده کاسپین؛ نویسنده: کلاویو استیپلز لوئیس ( 1898 - 1963 ) مترجم: امید اقتداری؛ منوچهر کریم زاده؛ تهران، 1379؛ در 208 ص؛ شابک: 9647100043؛ چاپ سوم 1384؛ هفت جلد در 1368 صفحه؛ موضوع: داستانهای خیال انگیز برای نوجوانان از نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 20 م
مترجم: پیمان اسماعیلیان خامنه؛ تهران، قدیانی، 1386؛ در 284 ص؛ شابک: 9644178521؛
مترجم: مهناز داوودی؛ تهران، پنجره، 1387؛ در 200 ص؛ شابک: 9789648890877؛
خرسه
Sophia Triad
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, lions, royal
One year has passed since Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy went to Narnia through an old Wardrobe and met the bad white witch and the righteous lion. Now they are sitting on a seat at a railway station with trunks and playboxes piled up round them on their way to school.

But Narnia needs them back.
More precisely PRINCE CASPIAN, the true king of Narnia needs them back.

And the children are ready for a new adventure in the land that thousand - years ago they used to be Kings and Queens themselves.
Dannii Elle
This is my fourth journey into the fantastical lands of Narnia, as I have chosen to read the series in chronological rather than publication order.

From the very first line I knew I was sure to love this book as it details the return of the Pevensie children from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the most famous and my most beloved Narnia tale. Only one year later in the human world, and centuries later in Narnian time, the children return to find their beloved castle an ivy-clad ruin and th
Elaina
Ahhh!! I just love these books so much!! ^_^ They make you feel like you are watching a movie in your head while you are reading every word! (If that makes any sense lol) I love the little bits of humor that C.S. Lewis through in every once and a while like this quote,

“That's the worst of girls," said Edmund to Peter and the Dwarf. "They never can carry a map in their heads."
"That's because our heads have something inside them," said Lucy.”

I don't know why I love that quote so much, but I do :p
Amanda
November 19, 2008. I've read these books a zillion and one times and surely I shall read them a zillion more. Because every single time, I realize new truths and find more honor in their pages.

Today, I've read a passage that I find disturbing and quite out of character for CS Lewis:

p.72 "Shall we go farther up for you, up to the crags? There's an Ogre or two and a Hag that we could introduce you to, up there." "Certainly not," said Caspian. "I should think not, indeed," said Trufflehunter. "We
Erin
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian reunites readers with Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy who find themselves traveling back to Narnia. But this Narnia is different from the one which they left. In fact, many years have passed and their time in Narnia has become something of a legend that no one quite believes to be true. That also includes the great lion known as Aslan. The quartet soon become entwined with the fate of a young man known as Prince Caspian. Caspian is fleeing from ...more
Edmund or Peter??? 18 107 Dec 12, 2017 05:40PM
UCAS English 10 H...: September Reading Assignment 1 9 Oct 16, 2017 07:46PM
UCAS English 10 H...: September Reading Assignment 1 5 Oct 15, 2017 12:02PM
All the Books!: Prince Caspian 1 5 May 24, 2017 05:13AM
  • Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic, #2)
  • Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain #4)
  • Winter Holiday (Swallows and Amazons, #4)
  • The Legend of Luke (Redwall, #12)
  • The Tombs of Anak (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #3)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • Farmer Boy (Little House, #3)
  • Greenwitch (The Dark Is Rising, #3)
  • The Chestnut King (100 Cupboards, #3)
  • The Lantern Bearers
  • Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom, #2)
  • The Princess and Curdie
  • The Silver Hand (The Song of Albion, #2)
  • The Lost Princess of Oz (Oz, #11)

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
More about C.S. Lewis...

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
"That's because our heads have something inside them," said Lucy.”
1293 likes