Start by marking “Sentient” as Want to Read:
Sentient

Sentient

Survivors from an almost absolute genocide flee through space/time to make an attempt at propagating their species. The architects of their race's destruction realize that their mission was incomplete. The resulting conflict will be waged on our home planet where a troubled physicist, his young neighbor, and an artificial intelligence may prove to be key in deciding the ou ...more
Paperback
Published March 14th 2017 by Sinister Grin Press

To ask other readers questions about Sentient, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sentient

Start your review of Sentient
J. Kahele
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This definitely was not a normal read for me

But it didn't make it less interesting. This was probably the most thought out and complexly written sci-fi story I have ever read, yet the writing was smooth and easy to follow. I know my words seem confusing, but if you read it you would understand
S. Thomas
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is a really cool book that Ancient Alien theorists will enjoy. Humanity’s parent race altered their Earth bound children to hide from a civilization that has formed a telepathic collective whose only mission is to conquer and subjugate. The last survivor of Aaden, humanity’s first home, arrives in the present day, one hundred thousand years after his fellow colonists lived and died. A beacon from the enemy also made the journey.

There were a handful of really interesting plot-threads woven i
Zachry Wheeler
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not every day that you find an author that can glide between rhythmic prose, effective humor, and subject matter knowledge. In the sci-fi world especially, you usually get one at the expense of the others. Not so here. Victor Acquista is packaged talent, a wordsmith that can tease your brain and make you laugh in the same paragraph.

Sentient is a unique and compelling read. It's not the rat-a-tat romp that a lot of modern sci-fi has devolved into. It requires you to think about the narrative
Patricia Grigg
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of the book threw me a tad. The sudden shifting from what appeared to be one story on to a different one seemed too abrupt. However, as I became familiar with the characters, the idea of what the author was doing became clear. So, I'm warning readers to stay with the book until you get the feel of things.

Overall, the story was original in thinking, and that appealed to me a great deal. I recommend you, the readers, give Sentient a read. My thanks to the author.
Ann Thomas
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, especially the thought that we might all have the potential to be telepathic. The difference when people communicate telepathically is clearly shown, and the difference it makes in a society. The motivations and schemes of the different groups makes a fascinating read. Highly Recommended.
Lauren Stafford
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joyce Hertzoff
Good premise with some good characters, but needed all kinds of editing.
Richard Stevko
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you don’t like science fiction;
If you are uneasy in the first five minutes of spaghetti westerns;
If you can’t wait for something to happen in Kabuki;
Then you definitely should wait for Victor Acquista’s SENTIENT to be turned into a movie. “Turned into...” has not happened, yet; but the story line of this first novel certainly seems to be headed in that direction. And, a good movie it will be. BUT, if you don’t read this book, you’ll miss:
• the masterly plot construction in which at least two
Amber Rose
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received a review copy of this book from the author**

I love sci-fi reads, but the one problem I always have with them is the weird and often complicated names for everything. It distracts me and I tend to focus more on the right way of pronouncing a word than on the rest of the book. Thankfully with Sentient, events though there were some weird names, it didn't become distracting. I really liked how the author was able to make his story flow seamlessly. It was a good read and I wouldn't mind
J.J. Amaworo
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Sentient" is a superb debut, a rollicking sci-fi saga that combines action and philosophy, visionary ideas, and prescient social critique. In creating an alien world with its own cosmology and rituals, the author sheds light on our own struggling little planet, and does so with humor and style. Excellent! ...more
Carolyn A Vick
Jun 11, 2018
Det Cornforth
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mind blowing

Pretty good read. I recommend you read this book. My only problem I have is that the end felt somewhat rushed. As if you were fed up writing the story and wanted to finish it to perhaps start another project.
I did particularly like the ending where poverty and famine and homelessness was alleviated, and done away with. If only this could happen now. Greed has no place in this world.
Randy
May 12, 2019
Eric Craig
Mar 17, 2017
Karen
rated it did not like it
Oct 16, 2016
Ducky
Apr 29, 2017
R.J. Mirabal
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique approach to science fiction adding a strong social commentary. I like most of the characters such as the contemporary Earth humans (especially Jeremy and his teen neighbor Nathan), Aniys who is definitely a well crafted character, and the T'tox people are also interesting because they're villains, of course! The various plotlines mesh very well leading to an exciting, if a bit too brief conclusion.
The writing is crisp and clear and only near the end is the message explicitly expressed mor
Andrew Wallace
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What drew me in to this novel at first was its wholly sympathetic treatment of mental illness, or, to put it more accurately, a specific and unusual psychological condition. Not since Elizabeth Moon’s ‘Speed of Dark’ has the subject been explored with such resonant, humorous insight. In this case it is schizophrenia, so often the preserve of cheap schlock horror of an unhelpfully inaccurate kind. Doctor Jeremy Strickland lives in suburban America next door to his young surfer dude neighbour, one ...more
Michael Dudley
Feb 04, 2017

• Ascending (The Vardeshi Saga, #1)
  • Bright Shards (The Vardeshi Saga, #2)
  • Mars, The 51st State (The Artifact Series Book 4)
  • Prelude to Extinction
  • BEMs: Bug Eyed Monsters (New Frontiers #4)
  • The Ship (New Frontiers #1)
  • The Watcher II: The Time of Suppression
  • MARS: The Martian Autonomous Republic of Sol (New Frontiers #5)
  • NFI: New Frontiers, Incorporated (New Frontiers #2)
  • Amy and the Star Ranger (Confederation Tales Book 3)
  • Old Secrets (The Survivors #13)
  • Catching Ultrawoman (Confederation Tales Book 2)
  • Shapechanger's Birth (Shapechanger Tales)
  • Pirates (New Frontiers #6)
  • Shapechanger's Progress (Shapechanger Tales)
  • A Door Into Time: An Alex Hawk Time Travel Adventure
  • The Super Olympian: Bloodhound (Shapechanger Tales)
  • Rebellion (Omega Force #11)

News & Interviews