Start by marking “A Sherlock Holmes Mystery: The Man with the Twisted Lip” as Want to Read:
A Sherlock Holmes Mystery: The Man with the Twisted Lip

A Sherlock Holmes Mystery: The Man with the Twisted Lip

This one's a little ugly. Now Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson must solve the mystery of the Man With the Twisted Lip. Ouch.
Published March 15th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 1891)

Aishu Rehman
The Man with the Twisted Lip is a short story that deals with the abduction, and presumed murder, of the rich investor, Neville St Clair. The abduction had been observed by Neville St Clair’s wife, and although the police had arrested a suspect, the beggar, Hugh Boone, Sherlock Holmes had been retained to uncover all of the events.

This short story is one with many twists and turns, and sees Holmes and Dr Watson, travelling from an opium den in London, down to Kent, and back to London again.

Argua
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

3.5 stars for this Sherlock Holmes short story, another in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes collection I've been slowly working my way through, which you can read online or download for free here at Project Gutenberg.

In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," Dr. Watson, at the tearful request of one of his wife's friends, goes to an opium den, the Bar of Gold, to extract her husband from his two-day drug binge. While there, he's hailed by a very wrinkled, thin old man with an opium pipe dangling betwe
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Perfect length for a cuppa.

Well, that was definitely an intriguing one!

I definitely enjoyed it, and I also how Holmes was very almost fooled. It was such a clever plot and a clever story.
Andrew
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so I come to the end of my Penguin 60s run, well for now at least.

Now we turn to Conan Doyle and his most famous creation Sherlock Holmes. Now this is where I sit and ponder for a second. Considering the number of stories he wrote genuinely on Mr Holmes the question is how do you choose just two stories to go in to this slim book and two which will fit. That is a question I suspect I will never find out.

But two you get and fit they most certainly do. Both I think show side of Sherlock Holme
Dani
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Man with the Twisted Lip" is the sixth story in the The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes story collection, the third publication in the Sherlock Holmes series (after the first two novels, so the first story collection).

Holmes and Watson investigate the disappearance of a man who's wife is sure she saw him in the window above an opium den, but when the police arrived to investigate they found only a filthy beggar, and her husbands jacket weighed down with coins at the bottom of the Thames.

T
Jason Koivu
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a mind-bending mystery, but a wonderful story filled with devilish details. I love that Conan Doyle created a drug using/abusing main character at the height of the uptight Victorian era and in this particular story was relatively lavish with his description of an opium den and its patrons. The real essence of The Man... is its heart. The ending is quite sweet in its way.
LydiaMae
The one with the disappearing husband and the now suspected-murderer beggar man with the twisted lip.
(view spoiler)
IDK, I was expecting something different and more complicatedly simple...
Jaksen
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another so-so in the Holmes canon. (I am presently reading all the Sherlock Holmes stories.)

Okay, this mystery starts at Dr. Watson's house when a woman bursts in wanting the good doctor to go fetch her husband who is believed to be hanging out in an opium den. (There's a lot of info. about such places in the annotated version I'm reading.) So off he goes and who does he find in said den?

Jason Donoghue
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Conan Doyle seems to have captured my attention and admiration with Sherlock Holmes. Now this story is not as good as a scandal in Bohemia but it's a enjoyable read.
Franci
Oooh!! What a twist!!
I did see it coming though, being such a Sherlock fan and all...
But still, great mystery, loved it.
Jason Parent
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one surprise me. Simple, but I didn't guess it.
Allie (alliecatreads)
This definitely went in an unexpected direction...
Crime Addict Sifat
The Man with the Twisted Lip is a short story that arrangements with the kidnapping, and assumed murder, of the rich financial specialist, Neville St Clair. The snatching had been seen by Neville St Clair's significant other, and in spite of the fact that the police had captured a suspect, the homeless person, Hugh Boone, Sherlock Holmes had been held to reveal the majority of the occasions.

This short story is unified with many wanders aimlessly, and sees Holmes and Dr Watson, going from an opi
Rebeka Várnagy
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I love this series but it's a lot more predictable than I thought it would be
Kathrin
Sherlock's explanation of how he solved the case: "by sitting upon five pillows and consuming an ounce of shag." I want to see more of the process!
Bonnie Gleckler Clark
Once again Sherlock solves the mystery at hand. Poor Neville St. Clair has disappeared and a dirty bigger name of Boone is taken into custody foe possible murder. It seems that St. Clair’s wife doesn’t think her husband is dead and therefore asked Holmes to find out what actually happened to St. Clair.
Holmes resolves the disappearance of St. Clair and convinces the police not to press charges.
Florencia
A couple of weeks ago, we were discussing literary criticism in class and one of my professors said writers like Agatha Christie or Arthur Conan Doyle weren't as good as Raymond Chandler and others - whose names I don't recall now since I'm not into crime/mystery fiction that much - because they didn't focus on the psychological aspect of the mystery, so the narrative became this mechanical thing with similar problems solved by an outstanding intellect. I haven't read much but I see his point. A ...more
Eye of Sauron
One of the better SH short stories, especially within The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The mystery isn't too difficult to figure out, but the whole scenario is imaginatively concocted and used in pretty much every Sherlock reboot ever made.
Z.S. Diamanti
Not my favorite Sherlock Holmes story. It seems that Holmes manages to find the miracle answer while Watson sleeps. Generally, the reader gets a little more of the deduction process from other Sherlock Holmes stories. Still, interesting enough to read through this short adventure.
Coenraad
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Semiotics in action. Conan Doyle prefigured this literary and philosophical school; no wonder Umberto Eco named his great monk-sleuth in THE NAME OF THE ROSE William of Baskerville. From the slightest indications Sherlock Holmes manages to unravel astounding mysteries. As I'm working my way through the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, as recorded and narrated by his trusty sidekick Dr. Watson, this small selection of two tales was a delectable side dish. For readers not familiar w ...more
Jade
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has to be a favourite of mine because of the immense mystery it has compared to the others! We are confronted by one mystery solved by Mr Watson then Holmes appears! And since unfolds from there.
So many twists it held which attained my attention well, and as many have said: perfect length for a cuppa.
Ragne
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, crime
This time, Sherlock Holmes solves the mystery without the reader being privy to the process. I prefer stories where I can follow the reasoning as it happens, and where the detective does something more that sit on a bunch of pillows during the night while Dr. Watson sleeps. However, the case is rather unusual, and fun.
Amanda Lila
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes was a fun ride full of interesting mysteries that I mostly solved with easy but still story by story this eccentric detective grew on me and I found myself truly enjoying a book after a long reading slump that was on and off during the whole year.
Jeff Yoak
This is a short and sweet little Holmes mystery. Again, as I reread the series, I'm amazed at how few really of them actually give you the materials to figure things out yourself. The stories are less impressive when it is just a story of Holmes having a magic ability to ferret out the truth.
Cande ♥
This is one of the very very few times that I solved the case before Holmes explained it, but it was a good story <3
Daren
The Penguin 60s version has two short stories - The Man with the Twisted Lip and The Adventure of the Devil's Foot.
Both short stories are good, both told by Watson, both with twists.
Ashrakat Deyab
Wooh! That was unexpected!

Favorite quote: "It's better to learn wisdom late than never to learn it at all."
Katie Greenwood
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a super short story in the Sherlock Holmes series and I really enjoyed it. It was one on my Victorian Lit course but by the time it came around to reading it I'd already planned what I was doing for my exam. I did want to read it though, just not under such constrained limits. It didn't take me long to get through this and all the time through reading I couldn't help but see Robert Downey Jr, specifically the false nose scene.

I was surprised by how much I was giggling reading this little
Rajan
A very mysterious story of my most favorite fictitious character of all time, Sherlock Holmes.
Gaze
Holmes meets Watson in rather acute circumstances and they go investigating the "murder" of Neville. But Holmes being Holmes notices that something is amiss and stays up all night until he catches the killer. The twist at the end is one I certainly did not see coming and it really brings up social issues at the time of writing which is interesting. The mystery is well rounded and left until the very end when we find out. Overall, a short read which had me hooked 2 pages in, one for the ages and ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• FCBD: Infinity
  • Mighty Avengers, Volume 1: No Single Hero
  • Beyond the Wall of Sleep
  • The Looking Glass
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism re
“…but it is better to learn wisdom late than never to learn it at all.” 43 likes
“Now, Watson,' said Holmes, (...) 'you'll come with me, won't you?'
'If I can be of use.'
'Oh, a trusty comrade is always of use. And a chronicler still more so. My room at The Cedars is a double-bedded one.'
(...)
'You have a grand gift of silence, Watson,' said he. 'It makes you quite invaluable as a companion. Pon my word, it is a great thing for me to have someone to talk to, for my own thoughts are not over-pleasant.”
7 likes