Start by marking “King Alice” as Want to Read:
King Alice

King Alice

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Alice and her family are stuck indoors on a snowy day. Alice loves to read, and when her dad suggests that she make her own book, she snaps out of her "I'm bored" mode and makes up a story that lasts till the lights go out later that night.
Published September 25th 2018 by Feiwel Friends

To ask other readers questions about King Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Alice

Abigail
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for New Picture-Books About Imaginative Play & Storytelling
It's a Snow Day, and Alice wants to play. Declaring herself King Alice - king, not queen, she tells her father - her initial ideas (making sparkly muffins, prettifying her dad) aren't greeted with much enthusiasm by her family. Then she proposes making a book about the adventures of King Alice and her brave knights, and everyone - her mother and father, and her baby sibling - get in on the act...

The latest picture-book from author/illustrator Matthew Cordell, who won the Caldecott Medal last yea
Laura McLoughlin
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Went to a book signing at our local library for this author's Wolf in the Snow and he read this one out loud to the kids.

A fun book about the stress of keeping kids entertained during a snow day when you are stuck in the house.
Stacy Fetters
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
What to do? What to do? Snow days are still my favorite days and this brought back some great childhood memories.

Very imaginative and attention grabbing.
Air
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
This had the potential to be an amazing, inspiring, adorable book. I was honestly disappointed, though. It wasn't awful, and the artwork was cute enough, but it didn't feel like a story.
Emma (Miss Print)
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This was thinner in plot than I expected. I like the juxtaposition between Cordell's "actual" artwork and the art that Alice creates for her book. Cordell captures that bossy-but-endearing small child vibe perfectly with Alice. (I love when she screams IDEA! before announcing her next plans.) This is a fun slice-of-life kind of story and a cute depiction of a parent and child (trying to) chill together on a snow day when Alice decides they should make a book about King Alice and her adventures. ...more
Paul  Hankins
A snow day presents both opportunity and challenge for a creative girl and her patient father who spend the day celebrating imagination and family. I love this book for Cordell's ability to create plaid pants without having to use a "grid" and his ability to code switch between the artist, Matthew Cordell, and the alter-artist/main character, Alice.
Tracy
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Thanks to the publisher for the review copy. All opinions are my own.

As Minnesotans, we can appreciate the dad in KING ALICE. It's another snow day and he cannot begin to imagine what the family will do. But King Alice knows! Yes, that's KING Alice. She brainstorms idea after idea, crafting a unique story as she chugs along. There are so many ideas in this book that it will require several reads for kids and families to take it all in. The real-life scenarios are contrasted with Alice's stories,
Krissy Neddo
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Loved Bob not Bob! This one not so much. Really busy and the illustrations were a bit too scratchy especially when combined with a disjointed story about a loud, demanding child. I felt like I was screamed at while I read it. Thank goodness the father finally put Alice in timeout. No wonder parents can't wait to send their kids back to school after a snow day. Yikes! Go outside and play in the snow!
Ilse O'Brien
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Matthew Cordell manages to capture both parent and child points-of-view and experiences through this slice of a snow day at home. Throw in a little narrative writing process, a lot of humor, some irony, and plenty of illustrations worth a second and third look...and you’ve got yourself another winner. Parents and kids will both enjoy this one.
Cat Fithian
Fun book, best shared one-on-one or with small groups because of the small illustrations, high detail and dense text in parts. I like the childlike illustrations, the child writing the book of her own and the open, real situation of a child being out of control with creativity and handling a timeout.
Raven Black
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I think the only books I've liked Cordell's illustrations in is Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie by Julie Sternberg. This book is his from illustration to text and I, sadly, find nothing in it I like. The characters are lacking something for me. The story is flat. It is too busy overall. I am sure, however, that people will enjoy it. I'm just not the audience for it.
Barb Keltner
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gs-level
Love this cute book, the creative main character, and her patient (most of the time) dad! Great illustrations too. Too good to read just once -- the illustrations deserve to be studied to be thoroughly enjoyed.
Abby
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The main character and her Dad write a book imaginatively based on their indoor snow day adventures. Reminds me a bit of Interrupting Chicken for imagination, Daddy/daughter dynamic, humor and use of crayon drawings. Features a biracial family.
Sara Lechner
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Same illustration style as Wolf in the Snow- ink pen drawings, watercolor fill in
Alice can be seen as a role model for the reader
-encourage to write their own stories
-be creative
-take charge
Relatable
-snow day
Jess
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
November 2018 - Ben was instantly a fan of this one. The silly humor, the visual gags, or the way it mirrors children's imaginations - some combination of these things hits the spot. We've read it over and over.
Annese
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
OMG, this was little me! Making messes and writing stories, in no particular order. The little kid in me loved that King Alice, THE FIRST, is all over the place. The OCD adult me just wanted her to sit down and finish at least one thing.
Cynthia
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice story about entertaining a child on a snow day. Illustrations show Alice's "book" and what is actually happening at home. Not much of a plot but cute and relatable for anyone who has tried to keep a young child occupied when stuck inside.
Pam
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The concept is better than the implementation in this book. The characters are flat. The illustrations are the best part of the book.
King Alice has another snow day and takes advantage of this to write a book about her day. Her family helps but don't show a lot of emotion.
Paulette
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Imagine a snow bound family, a determined little girl, and a dad willing to create a kingdom to remember if only for one day. Fun illustrations and a great story about the power of imagination. Another great picture book from the Caldecott Medal winner Matthew Cordell.
Elaine
Gender roles be damned in this book featuring a sassy girl and her adoring and obedient, sometimes reluctantly, father. She begins the snow day by declaring herself King Alice. "Queen Alice?" No, she's clearly the king. And Dad is her co-author for the King Alice and Princess Dad stories.
Ashlee Tominey
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A day stuck inside revolves around imaginary play, many meals, and many messes. Funny and sweet. Includes a toot scene. Love the mix of harried and sublime depictions of family (isn't that what life is with a kid?).
Kaitlin
Loved Wolf in the Snow and was so excited when I saw the title of this book. But the focus was mostly on entertaining Alice for an entire snow day, with a quick glossing over of her insistence she be called King rather than Queen. Still a fun story, but definitely not what I was expecting.
Rachel
Captures the child point of view perfectly, fun and playful love the progression of the illustrations with the text
Erika
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Now this is one adorably precocious kid! I wish patience to the parents raising such a gifted and rambunctious child!
Peter
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful sketches with watercolor. What could be better than a little girl declaring herself king and then writing a book about her day? A great book for snow days. :)
Lisa D
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ute book! I love it!
Leah RI
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
5 stars on the illustrations for this one and 4 on the story - I really liked it, but it didn't quite knock it out of the park. Still, I would absolutely recommend this as a read-a-loud.
Lori
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Imaginative, and might be nice to inspire reluctant writers. Alice finds inspiration for writing all throughout her day.
Marcie
I can see 1st-3rd grade teachers using this after a snow day as a writing prompt.
Syntha Green
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A delightfully imaginative story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Matthew Cordell is the acclaimed author and illustrator of the 2018 Caldecott winner Wolf in the Snow. He is also the author and illustrator of Trouble Gum and the illustrator of If the S in Moose Comes Loose, Toot Toot Zoom!, Mighty Casey, Righty and Lefty, and Toby and the Snowflakes, which was written by his wife. Matthew lives in the suburbs of Chicago with his wife, writer Julie Halpern, and ...more