Start by marking “Finding Gobi: The True Story of a Little Dog and an Incredible Journey” as Want to Read:
Finding Gobi: The True Story of a Little Dog and an Incredible Journey

Finding Gobi: The True Story of a Little Dog and an Incredible Journey

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  8,143 ratings  ·  1,002 reviews
Like A Streecat Named Bob before it, Finding Gobi is a truly heart-warming story for animal lovers worldwide…

In 2016, Dion Leonard, a seasoned ultramarathon runner, unexpectedly stumbled across a little stray dog while competing in a gruelling 155 mile race across the Gobi Desert. The lovable pup, who earned the name ‘Gobi’, proved that what she lacked in size, she more

Published June 1st 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Finding Gobi, please sign up.

·  8,143 ratings  ·  1,002 reviews

Start your review of Finding Gobi: The True Story of a Little Dog and an Incredible Journey
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
5 beautiful, determined stars to Finding Gobi!

In 2016, Dion Leonard was participating in a race across the Gobi Desert, over 155 miles in fact, when he found a stray dog who kept up with him step for step, over 80 miles. That alone had me in tears just thinking about the determination of the dog to keep up with a human with whom she had quickly bonded.

Later, it was Leonard’s determination to reunite with Gobi that made my heart ache and flutter. A story of love between humans and dogs,
Carol
Gotta Love Gobi!

The story begins when Dion Leonard takes a trip to China from Edinburgh to participate in a grueling 150 mile six-day seven-stage race in the excruciating heat of desert and dangerous mountain terrain....."the biggest race of his short running career." That unforgiving land is where Gobi appears out of the blue, looks Dion in the eyes and adopts him as her own....so cool.

The first half of the novel is pretty much dedicated to the race itself (quite interesting), its

BookHound 🐾
I absolutely loved this book! It has got to be the cutest dog story that I've read (and that's saying a lot since I've read quite a few!)!
Right from the moment the reader meets Gobi, you're instantly in love with the wee pup. The distances that Gobi traveled, as well as all that she went through in her journey was amazing to read.
By the end of the book, it left you cheering for the author and wee Gobi.
Definitely a feel-good read! :)
Lisa
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 2016 Dion Leonard was running ultra marathons in the Gobi desert the race was 1555 miles long he picked up a stray that kept pace with him over 89 miles my heart was melting Dion felt a bond come between them that he didn't want to give up.

Leonard then takes it upon himself to make sure he doesn't lose Gobi again what he & his wife Lucja try & get him into his hometown of Edinburgh that is like jumping over hoops both wouldn't give up hope.

All I will say now is this book is a story of
Brenda
Dion Leonard, an Australian living in Edinburgh, Scotland, was in China for the 155-mile race through the Gobi Desert when a small brown ball of fluff with big eyes attached herself to him. As he ran each leg of the race, the dog kept pace with him. At one stage they crossed a water course, and when she called to him from the bank, Dion turned and picked her up, carrying her across. When it was obvious the little dog would remain by his side, he named her Gobi – her courage and tenacity was ...more
Kirsti
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yep, here's another one! Most people who follow my reviews soon realize I read A LOT of animal memoir books. As soon as one becomes available, I must have it! They almost never fail to disappoint, and this one was no exception.

Dion Leonard is an extreme runner, after taking up the sport because his girlfriend/wife became interested in running as a sport and encouraged him to join her. Not one to take things by halves, Dion found himself competing at an elite level, racing some top notch runners
Sean Peters
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What Can I say.... I missed this story and the internet chaos the first time around...

But I am so happy with this book I know the story thankfully!

This his an incredible heart warming, touching, fantastic story, with warmth, humble that touches your heart, more so if like me you are an animal lover....

I understand fully how the love of an animal can touch your heart, so much and would have done exactly the same as Dion....

This is not only a story of an incredible dog, but of an incredible
Sharon

Whilst competing in a 155 mile race through the Gobi desert in China Ultramarathon runner, Dion Leonard comes across a stray dog. Little did Deon know that this cute little stray would follow right beside him throughout his race. Over the course of the race Deon becomes very attached to the stray and ends up calling her, Gobi.

Once the race was completed, Dion and his wife knew they couldn't leave Gobi behind, but getting her out of the country would be a challenge. Whilst attempting to work out
Diane in Australia
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Diane in Australia by: Chyina
Shelves: nonfiction-dogs
Very sweet book about a man who falls in love ... with a stray dog ... and all the dramas he went through in order to bring that dog home with him.

Dion was running in a 5-day marathon across China's Gobi Desert when he first met the canine love-of-his-life. She attached herself to him at the start of the race, and kept up with him for almost 80 miles (128 km). He is soon wrapped around her little paw, and can't even consider abandoning her when the marathon finishes. So, the process of bringing
Kerri
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This really was an amazing story. I already knew most of it, though I can't recall whether that was from an article online, a news story, I'm not sure, but anyway I knew the basics.
However there was a lot I didn't know, in particular, just how many people around the world, but especially in China, banded together to help him find this dog. Look at her face - irresistible! It's incredible that she found him, and even more incredible that she was found after she went missing (I don't think
Julie
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
It's 4am and I just finished this book. A beautiful story of doggy devotion and perseverance. Dion's determination to save his little friend and to give her a forever home is inspirational. If you love dogs you absolutely must read this.
Lauren Blakely
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mad huge big extraordinary love for this story! A great book for all ages! A story of hope, love, kindness and generosity!!!! And dogs!!!!!!!!
Pat
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This true story was so heartwarming and a perfect antidote to the recent dark and bleak books I had read.

Dion Leonard, an Australian living in Edinburgh, had only been distance running for a few years when he went to China to compete in the Gobi ultra marathon - 155 miles over seven gruelling days (it makes me feel ill just thinking about it). In the desert the daytime temperatures got up to 130 degrees Fahrenheit or even higher so its a real test of endurance. On this race he encountered a
Swaroop
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Finding Gobi" is a rollercoaster and thrilling ride. This book is well written and an interesting read. This is another example of how dogged determination and faith will always have a positive result and an outcome.

The heartwarming story of Dion Leonard and Gobi. It represents the amazing connection between a human being and a dog and also shows how things can be achieved and accomplished when people work together, with a common goal.

It does feel many a time, that the whole story is too good
Natalie Ward
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So lucky to be able to read an advance copy of this book. I've followed the story from the very start and it is not just inspirational but heartwarming to know there are people that care this much. Beautiful story.
MaryG2E
5s
Ex-pat Australian Dion Leonard is an ultra marathon runner, who takes part in 5 day races staged in extreme settings. Like the Sahara, Kalahari and Gobi Deserts. Early in the 2016 event his path crosses that of a cute, skinny little terrier, who then follows him through exceptionally harsh conditions. He names the appealing little stray ‘Gobi’ after the region in which he is competing. By the end of the race, he has decided that he will do his best to adopt Gobi and take her home to Edinburgh.
Andrea
This book gave me a bit more than I expected. I remember when Dion and Gobi were in the news as an unlikely ultra-marathon running duo in the far west of China, but if I thought I knew the story, I was wrong! The book covers the race, a bit of Dion's backstory, and then a lot of the book is spent on what happened in between the finish of the Xinjiang race and Dion's arrival back in the UK with Gobi. Despite knowing there would be a happy ending, there were times I was feeling the stress and ...more
Erin
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is something positively heartwarming and uplifting about these kinds of animals stories. Where a human is irreversibly and irrevocably changed through a connection with an animal.

Finding Gobi is one such story, a little dog who saw a human and chose him as her own. Healing him and finding a warm and loving home in the process.
Anne ✨
A feel-good true tale about an ultra-marathon runner (think 155 miles across the Gobi Desert) and his experience when a little stray dog starts hanging out with him throughout his desert race, and the two form a special bond. The book covers a wide timeline: from the author's troubled childhood in Australia - to becoming an ultra-marathon runner and living and training in Scotland - to his Gobi Desert race, and the adventures around the little dog he named Gobi.

This book is a combination memoir
Taylor B
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having followed Dion and Gobi's story since it broke last year, when it was announced that there was going to be a book about their journey, I knew I had to read it.

I will admit, I am not normally a fan of non-fiction books. However, the story was just so captivating that I had to know more. And boy, did I get it!

I was on the edge of my seat for most of the book. The twists, the turns, the sadness, the triumph... All of it utterly engrossed me, from the first page to the very last. I laughed, I
Donna
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
What a cute little dog, just look at that face. I love the cover. This was a sweet story about a how a dog wiggled his way into the heart of a passing by runner and then into the hearts of many across the world. I loved that part of this story. It is a feel-good, do-the-right-thing kind of story. The runner, Dion, eventually becomes Gobi's owner, after many hoops to jump through.

The one thing that seemed off was that it felt 'overthought' at times. One example is when it comes to Gobi's story,
Sharon
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, memoirs
I find a book like this tough to rate, because the rating is more reflective of the subject material, which I was drawn to, rather than the actual narrative or writing.

Did I love reading about little Gobi and her indomitable warrior spirit? Absolutely. The passages describing her latching on to ultra marathon runner Dion Leonard, ultimately following him 77 of the 155-mile desert run across the Gobi desert, put an ear to ear grin on my face and warmed my heart. It's the reason I picked up this
Ann R
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
To be trusted so much by a living creature is a powerful thing, especially when you know it could choose to leave at any time. But Gobi never showed any signs of wanting to be anywhere other than right by my side. -Dion Leonard

For dog lovers who are seeking an inspirational, feel-good type of story, well, I think this one qualifies. The story begins in China, during an ultra marathon in the Gobi desert. Not the type of conditions that usually leads to a dog seemingly appearing our of nowhere and
Jenny
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Finding Gobi is a true story of courage and love between a man and his furry companion. Marathon runner Dion Leonard went to China to compete in the 155-mile race across the Gobi Desert. Dion Leonard started to think about giving up in his quest to run across the Gobi Desert when he came across a little stray dog. The readers of Finding Gobi will continue to follow to see how meeting this little stray dog changed Dion Leonard life.

I loved reading Finding Gobi. While reading Finding Gobi, I
Shayne Bauer
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an amazing story! I was initially intrigued by the author running a 150 mile race, but add in the detail of this adorable little canine joining him, and I was hooked!

The journey (literal and figurative!) that these two took together is simply incredible. I was amazed at all that Dion Leonard had to go through to bring Gobi home. I'm so glad they found each other.

This is an inspiring story that is simply written, yet it manages to adequately capture the heartache and the triumphs that the
Linda
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Of course this was five stars, especially with a cover like that! This little dog is simply amazing, and the sheer number of people, and strangers at that, who devoted their time to ensuring this little dog's safety was astounding. Go Gobi Go!! :)
Cheese
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This story was kinda brain candy, a sweet little story about an ultra runner and how a dog won his heart and thousands of others by running alongside him in the Gobi desert ultra marathon.

Enough to keep me entertained on my daily commute into work.
Peter Derk
In this moment, Pete learned the hard lesson about the difference between wanting to pet a dog and wanting to read a really long book about one.
Lata
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2019-read
I couldn’t put this book down! I had to know all the twists and turns Dion Leonard, his wife Lucja and the hardy and so affectionate little stray dog Gobi had to go through before they could bring Gobi home to Scotland.
I was worried this would be a cloyingly sentimental recounting, but it wasn’t. Instead, it’s a terrific story about the unbelievable kindness of several wonderful people in China who gave Dion incredible support and guidance though the administrative process of adopting a dog
Susan
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is primarily about the author that is an excellent runner, not about Gobi.

• Bilbo the Lifeguard Dog: A True Story of Friendship and Heroism
  • Arthur: The dog who crossed the jungle to find a home
  • A Dog Called Hope: The wounded warrior and the dog who dared to love him
  • Težak slučaj u Blagdangradu
  • Pedeset cigareta za Elenu
  • Will You Love Me? The Rescue Dog that Rescued Me: A Foster Tails Story
  • It's All About Treo: Life And War With The World's Bravest Dog
  • Sherlock: The Fire Brigade Dog
  • Michelle Obama - Quotes to Live By (Little Book)
  • Priče o neustrašivim hrvatskim ženama
  • Arthur: Der Hund, der den Dschungel durchquerte, um ein Zuhause zu finden
  • Endal: How One Extraordinary Dog Brought a Family Back from the Brink
  • Fabulous Finn: The Brave Police Dog Who Came Back from the Brink
  • Biserna sestra
  • Sasha
  • Kupit ćemo pjesnika
  • Able Seacat Simon: The Wartime Hero of the High Seas
  • Blockbuster
Dion Leonard is a 41 year old Australian who lives in Edinburgh, Scotland with his wife Lucja. Dion has not only completed but competed in some of the world’s toughest ultra marathons across the planet’s most inhospitable landscapes. This includes running across the brutal Moroccan Sahara desert twice in the 250km Marathon Des Sables and also twice across South Africa's Kalahari Desert, also ...more
“Any place can be all right,” he’d say, “as long as you accept what’s wrong with it.” 3 likes
“But there are days when the voices calling me to quit shout louder than the voices calling me to keep on going. Those are the toughest days of all.” 1 likes