Start by marking “The Hush” as Want to Read:
The Hush

The Hush

Chester is on the road, searching every town for clues about his father and why he disappeared.

But when he's caught accidentally – and illegally – connecting with the Song as he plays his beloved fiddle, Chester is sentenced to death. Only a licensed Songshaper can bend music to their will. The axe is about to fall . . .

But there is someone else watching Chester. Someone
Published June 6th 2017 by Sky Pony Press (first published March 2nd 2015)

Abbie | ab_reads
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you @skyhorsepub for sending this book my way in exchange for an honest review!
The Hush is a unique, musical fantasy novel where Music is both a powerful tool and a potential weapon; those found using music to practise sorcery without a license are condemned to death. Chester Hayes finds himself narrowly escaping a death sentence only to be initiated into a notorious gang of thieves...
This novel is so much fun! The gang are a Robin Hood-esque band who misuse Music to steal from the rich
Atlas
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the Hush. Its rain was not water, but shadow: a rain of leftover sorcery

* * * * .5
4.5 / 5

There are two things that I loved about The Hush: first, it's essentially a group teen heist novel (think more YA Six of Crows), which I didn't know when I picked it up, and secondly, the idea of the Song, Music, and the Hush is super cool. This book was fantastic and, though it is a standalone, I hope Melki-Wegner returns to write more in this universe.

For Chester, a song was more than just music.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
4 Stars.
The Hush is a imaginative, engaging and enthralling fantasy, with elements of suspense and science fiction. Skye is one of my favourite authors, she creates vivid worlds in which readers can fully immerse themselves, likable characters and is an advocate for creating strong, but flawed heroines. She makes reading effortless and simply entertaining.

Told as a third person narrative, it follows both Chester and the Nightfall Gang, Susannah, Sam, Dot and the fabulous Travis. They know all to
Maddison
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woooooow this book was super good! Music + magic. Two of my favourite things, and both together in the same book. And what's cooler, the Music makes the magic! Such an awesome idea. I also like the (view spoiler) It was definitely more family-orientated than couple-orientated. I did get rather confused when (view spoiler) ...more
Nara
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aaaaand here is yet another severely underrated novel from an Australian author! Skye Melki-Wegner has created yet another book with a fantastic world, great characters, a unique magic system and an action-filled plot.

The magic system is quite a creative one: the use of music to produce magic and to hack into "The Hush", a sort of shadow world which is a parallel of the real one. I do have to say though, the world building probably wasn't the best in terms of how the rules of the magic system we
Sabrina
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read
"Sometimes I think true strength is admitting when you're vulnerable."

Aww what a beautiful cover and story :)
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

In THE HUSH, there’s music and there’s Music. One is magical, there other isn’t. Untrained Musicians (capital M) are considered blasphemers. They are hunted down and executed since the only people that should harness the Song are Songshapers. So much of THE HUSH is balanced on the world-building. If you're not completely enthralled then the ending of the novel loses its impact. The book is full of description but I never got a real sense of the world.
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book and chose to review it. This in no way impacts my opinion.

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Full review to come on Books and Ladders!
Kara
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's always an exciting thing when a book catches you by surprise in a totally unexpected way. I didn't expect a thing from The Hush; in fact, I'm trying to make my way through the books I am behind on quickly, and I was prepared to DNF this one. Instead, I found myself enraptured by like page ten. It really is that good.

The Hush was first published in Australia, and I do believe this is the author's first published work in America. I'm really thankful, and I hope they publish more because she h
SAB
I didn't really know what to expect when I picked up this book, but I think it deserves a solid 3 stars for originality.

Magic in this world is created by songs, music and rhythms which is something I've never seen before. I have no musical knowledge, but it was explained simply enough to follow, though you would probably get more out of it (particularly the musical metaphors) if you have a background in music.

For me, the plot and world-building were stronger than the characters. The Hush and the
Carlos
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I literally could not put down this book! I was walking on the street reading it!
Debbie
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was unexpected. I fell headfirst int this novel and whenever I surfaced, I felt lost. Melki-Wegner has crafted some of the most spectacular world-building I've come across in a long while. The magic system is based on music, but it's a lot more than what it first appears. I really wanted to see more of the world because it was absolutely fascinating.

The plot was fast-paced, the characters likable and sympathetic. I was rooting for Chester, Susannah, and the rest of the gang the entire book.
Stacie Boren
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book from Half Priced Books to read. All opinions are my own. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 The Hush by Skye Kelli Wegner. An amazing fantasy written about two magical worlds that operates on Music. Three teens begin an outlaw gang that travels back and forth between good and evil parts of the world playing Robin Hood basically. Until they rescue an unlicensed songshaper that will lead them on the most impossible mission ever. His rescue and recruitment into their gang costs more than the impossible he ...more
Klara
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved the Hush. The main character searches for his father, surviving only by playing the fiddle. In a small town, he is confronted with his own abilities. Unfortunately for him, his abilities are considered blasphemy and so he is arrested. Through a series of events, he finds himself in the middle of the Hush, a mysterious un-world in which dangers loom at every corner. The Nightfall Gang has dragged him there, though what for? Soon, he will have the opportunity to get everything he ev ...more
Kris
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fiandfantasy
I stayed up late to finish this one. Excellent worldbuilding. Although the idea of music as a source of magic isn't original by any means, the author gives it a nice twist and the idea of the Songshapers controlling music (and using is for societal and religious control) was well done. It's a typical "teen ensemble against authority motif" and could use more character development but on the whole I thoroughly enjoyed it and would certainly seek out other works by this author.
Briauna Clay
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a violinist, this book felt like a perfect read for me. Can a book understand a person? Because if so, this one understood me. It's an incredible story of perserverance, secrets, surprises, twists and turns. It has characters that seem real, and people who I would want in my life. This book is definitely a must-read, especially for all those musicians out there!
Angeli Reads
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A musical twist of what reminded me of Stranger Things! There were parts here that made me hold my breath from suspense. I've never read a book with a darker take on music and musical instruments. It was definitely a unique experience reading this.
Katie Thomas
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually really enjoyed this book. It was confusing and slow in the beginning but picks up. I wish there had been more romance in it, there were a few hints of possible romance, but nothing big like a confession or a kiss. I really hope the author decides to write a sequel to this book about life afterward. But regardless, this book was very action packed and a good read.
Chrissi
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love music, magic and Skye’s previous novels so it’s no big surprise I absolutely adored this book. I was hooked from the spine-tingling prologue to the beautifully sweet epilogue. Skye has created a magnificent world once again using magic as subtly as a composer weaves harmonies through a song to create a masterpiece. This new stand alone novel is set in a fantasy world where Music (with a capital M) is magic and only licensed Songshapers can connect to the Song (the heartbeat of the world) ...more
Casey Frank
I enjoyed the world building and felt like the idea of music vs Music was an interesting concept. I was occasionally confused by the setting, often forgetting that it was supposed to feel like a Western. For some reason I wanted to mentally default to more common fantasy settings that feel more Arthurian.
Most of the characters were well-formed, allowing me to root for their plans. There were some surprising reveals that were interesting, but felt a little hard to connect to given how concise th
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
Finished this a while back now and didn't right a review cause I'm apparently a lazy sod. The important part is i recall my feelings about the book. It reminded me kind of like a YA version of Mistborn, I'm not really sure why cause they dont have all that in common but i feel like its a compliment anyways cause Mistborn is an amazing book/series.

The Idea behind this book is incredible, not executed quite as well as it could have been but in its own right still a really fun and enjoyable read. I
Charlie
Rating: 3.5
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. After all, it's kind of Firefly for YA readers, with Musical Magic! I absolutely loved Melki-Wegner's Chasing the Valley series - they were definitely in my favourite books of last year! I ended this book, though, feeling a bit disappointed.

While I really liked the concept behind The Hush, there were some elements that didn't work for me. The romance was one of the biggest - I can understand why it was included, but didn't feel like i
Heather
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I wondered whether I would connect with this book or not, but "The Hush" quickly turned into a very enjoyable read with a nice mix of fantasy, Sci-fi and music. The world Melki-Wegner created was vivid and detailed where music and magic were fiercely entwined. At the same time, this world was familiar as it had many Wild West elements including saloons, guns, cowboy boots, carriages, sacks of gold, griddlecakes, horses (although these ones could fly), sheriffs and cornfields.

I really li
Abi
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iceygirl05
A good book. I Stopped reading for a while since I became quite bored of it, and I had to force myself to continue reading.It sort of dragged on, but I would recommend it for a read!
K.L. Hallam
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“There were creatures in the Hush, creatures of twisted magic, formed from the remnants of real-world sorcery. The Hush was a dumping ground for the leftovers. The residual, dregs of Music and broken tunes …”

A musician traveling with his fiddle, and searching for his father, enters the town of Hamlin. Pegasi patrol the skies. He hopes the locals will like his music enough, he’ll be able to eat that night, and he sets up in the local saloon. Never expecting what would happen when he plays the fid
Dorine White
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chester, a young fiddler, is looking for his missing father. He is traveling the countryside searching Inns for information about 'The Missing', people who become ill and suddenly vanish. Chester's only clue are his father's last words, "The Hush."

One night while playing, he accidentally hooks into The Song, the true magic of his world. It is illegal to use The Song unless one is trained and schooled. Chester is arrested and sentenced to death. Luck is with him when a member of the notorious Nig
Haley |  mythoughtsareabook

One hell of a read if you ask me.

I received The Hush by Australian author Skye Melki-Wegner in the Once Upon a Book Club subscription box and I really didn't know what to expect upon starting it. This book follows Chester Hays as he navigates life in a world that is fueled by Music, a type of magic that derives from the Song, the life force behind life.

Definitely a page turner. I found myself reading well into the night and always needing to know what is
Anna Tan
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy, e-books
Chester Hays is a musician—a very good musician. But he hasn’t been (and doesn’t have the money to) audition at the Conservatorium. Which means he isn’t a Songshaper and he shouldn’t be able to connect to the Song or play Music—that special sort that was made of sorcery and secrets—but he can. And he doesn’t know how. Or how to stop it. Travelling from town to town in search of his missing father, Chester makes a terrible mistake out of pride—and suddenly he finds himself on the run from the aut ...more
Amarinske
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

wow so good

Chester can tap into the Song, the magical essence of his world, without being a Songshaper, without ever training. He just can, and it's illegal.
One evening in a tavern, he takes on the challenge of playing one of the most difficult songs (The Nightfall duet, renamed after the infamous Nightfall gang) in existence and gets caught to be executed the next morning at dawn. Just before the axe falls, he gets saved and brought into The Hush. A shadow world, and a place only a few
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Red Wind (The Kingdom of the Lost, #1)
  • Unwanted
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • Lifespan of Starlight
  • The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
  • Welcome To Orphancorp
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • Ice Breaker (The Hidden, #1)
  • How to Bee
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • Grimsdon (Grimsdon, #1)
  • Song of the Slums
  • Fearless (Avena, #3)
  • The Road to Winter (Winter, #1)
  • The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery (A Train to impossible places, #1)
  • Day Boy
  • Where the Woods End
  • In the Dark Spaces
Hello and thanks for visiting my Goodreads profile! I'm a writer of fantasy/ adventure books from Melbourne, Australia.

If you'd like to get in touch, please come and say hi on Twitter, Facebook or my website.