Start by marking “Jugnu” as Want to Read:
Jugnu

Read Book

Jugnu

Zayd Abbas Rizvi, out on parole, wants to escape the suspicious eyes of the world and concentrate on rebuilding his future. He zeroes in on Kasauli, a small, quaint hill town.

Contrary to his expectations though, he is unable to find peace in the skirmish around the guest house, the antics of a three-year-old, and the deep, sad eyes of his mother. As he battles the demons
Kindle Edition, First
Published March 18th 2017 by Amazon KDP

To ask other readers questions about Jugnu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jugnu

Start your review of Jugnu
Adite
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you want to read a boy meets girl kind of straightforward romance, do not read this review any further. Ruchi Singh's latest book -- Jugnu -- is a romance that delves deeper. Yes there are those moments of fluttering hearts and emotional ups and downs but they are anchored in real world dilemmas. Ashima, the protagonist is very much a real woman with real problems: a husband she loves who has been missing in action for four years since the Kargil War, looking after a little son and her husban ...more
Shilpa Garg
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have been reading Ruchi’s blog where she writes flash fiction and have read her books Take 2 and Heart & Hots. And I truly admire her writing skills. When I came across her recent book, Jugnu, I had to read it. And boy, was I impressed! In fact, Jugnu is her best work till date.
Jugnu is more than a romance. It is an emotional ride with vivid and evocative writing. I was literally sucked into this story from the very first chapter. The characters are well etched and the story is realistic and
Devika Fernando
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some years ago, I read Ruchi Singh’s romance novel “Take 2”, and it left a lasting impressing. Imagine how excited I was to learn that she’s just released a new book! And I have to say, “Jugnu” didn’t disappoint in the least. In fact, it exceeded my already high expectations and I loved it even more than her previous book.

This book, to me, is so much more than a love story, although at the heart of it is indeed love – a forbidden, darling, sometimes innocent, sometimes volatile, often secret kin
S
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVED it! It's amazing how seamlessly & effortlessly the writer has dealt with sensitive social issues like young man falling for an older woman, criminal & widow rehabilitation and last but not the least inter-religion love/marriage. This is definitely a MUST-READ love story & I hope/pray this is soon made into a movie as well :-) ...more
Tulika
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jugnu by Ruchi Singh reminded me what absolute joy a well-written romance can be. Yet, to call this one just a romance would a bit of an injustice. While a love story is central to the narrative there is lots more to enjoy and savour.

Out on parole Zayd Abbas Rizvi heads off to Kasuali with his laptop for some peace and quiet. The plan is to keep to himself and avoid trouble of any kind. He finds lodging at a guest house run by the petite, ghost-chasing, sad-eyed Ashima, mom to a delightful three
D.R. Downer
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The battery meter on my tab is bright red in color right now, and I'm still ignoring the 1% warning on it. Yes, 1% battery left. It was 65%, when I started reading 'Jugnu'. Ruchi Singh, I shall hold you responsible if my tab dies of malnutrition. What I'm trying to say here is that once you start reading it, you shall not be able to put the book down, not even for charging the tab...or yourself. That reminds me, I'm yet to have my dinner.

On a serious note, this book definitely is among the best
Leena Varghese
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
I usually choose a book on the basis of pure instinct, rarely on the basis of reviews. Who doesn’t love fireflies and the umpteen metaphors that come to mind when you see them against the dark blue night in a forest? The title and the blurb instantly caught my attention. And so did Zayd who seems to leap out of the book to arrest your attention.

The prose is beautiful. The love that simmers between the main characters Zayd and Ashima is both intense and mellow at the same time. Every word is so
Tarang Sinha
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Jugnu is a pleasant and meaningful love story. I loved the character of Zayd - flawed yet sensitive & intense. The very special connection between Ashima and Zayd is beautiful and convincing.

Smart writing. Engaging & entertaining. If you like reading love stories, read Jugnu.
Shantala  (Shanaya Tales)
Before I get into this review, I want to mention something about the star rating right away – this book holds the distinction of being the first indie romance to get 5 stars from me. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that I haven’t ever read anything better than this. I have indeed read some other books which were equally good.

Though for some weird reason, silly-past-me only gave 4.5 stars as the highest rating in this genre. Stupid, I know! But when it came to this book, I just couldn’t d
Nikita (Njkinny's Blog)
Rating: 4.5/5

Jugnu by Ruchi Singh is her latest offering and a book that takes us to the lovely hill station of Kasauli. This is the story of Zayd and Ashima, two souls scarred by their traumatic pasts who are brought together by destiny and love.

I enjoy Ruchi Singh's writing style and had thoroughly enjoyed her previous book, Take 2. So when she offered her latest to me to read and review, I just could not resist despite my huge load of pending books.

Thi
Sunita Saldhana
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I barely registered the rain or the fact that my dog had come and settled on the bed besides me as I read the book. I was lost in Kasauli. Ruchi Singh has a wonderful way of describing places that is more poetic than prose. I could see the mountains and the sun shining through the trees. I could smell the fresh air. As I said I was lost in the book from the first page itself.

The characters are portrayed brilliantly. I half expected them to come right out of the pages and talk to me. Not just Zay
S
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very different yet intense love story. Absolutely loved the flow , plot, characters and storyline. Definitely a worth read an extremely beautiful story of two people who have been through their shares of pain. Loved how brilliantly the author capture both protagonists characters. Loved the writing style it was just pulls the readers in . A gripping and enthralling love story . Definitely will be reading more stories by this author . A must read !!
Archie
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is second book I have read from Ruchi and I can say that while reading the stories you feel you are experiencing it first hand. The dilemma faced by Ashima is justified and at the same time true justice has been done to Zayd.
Sudesna Ghosh
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Engaging plot and memorable characters. I loved the emotion in it.
Reet Singh
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I first read the excerpt of Jugnu, I was startled to note that the author had jumped right into a set of seemingly unsurmountable challenges: a convict-hero out on parole, a widow who refuses to be widowed, her young child, an unforgiving, racist mother-in-law, and a snatch of evil villains. How on earth is she going to sort everything out, I wondered?

Well, she did it! She picked a scenic locale, Kasauli, to amp up the romantic atmosphere; then added a heavy dose of chemistry that drew the
Ruhani
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love story with a difference.. Liked the contrast between characters..so different but yet so same

Liked the characters their difficult lives but yet their zest to live a happy life with responsibility...I liked the religion contrast as people try to discriminate only because of cast...Love is love irrespective of which religion it belongs!!!
Jennifer Thompson
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read the novel in a single session. It is so engaging that once I picked it up I simply could not put it down till I reached the end.

Ruchi Singh has etched out the characters in this novel so vividly that you completely fall in love with them. The emotions are captured beautifully and draws you in and keeps you invested in the story.

The story has a 'happily ever after' ending with all the twists and turns of events and emotions in between. I love this novel!

This is another well crafted love stor
Preethi Venugopala
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this refreshing, poignant and well written story.

Ashima and Zayd, both are battling with their bitter past. They meet and gradually become each other's solace.

But they have many things that come in between them. Did their love stand a chance when pitted against the barriers put forth by faith, morals, fate and insecurities?

Ruchi's writing is vivid and the characters come alive in the pages of the book, endearing themselves to the reader.

Recommended to all those who love a well written ro
M.V. Kasi
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming love story!

I loved the sweet and slow build up of love story between the protagonists. The characterization of Zayn was awesome. I fell in love with him along with Ashima!
A.
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In our society, a person’s character is determined by his/her religion. Muslims are always looked down with a hint of suspicion and if anyone falls in love with a Muslim boy/girl then…

Jugnu is a firefly which glows in dark. Usually title of a book is based either or any of the protagonist or on the theme/plot of the story. But in this case, I wondered what the relation of a firefly with the story is? I kept reading to know the relation of Jugnu with a love story, but when I finally found the a
Kala Ravi Sarathy
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I am reading by author Ruchi Singh, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. The title is unique and the blurb hints at a difficult romance. The book is also unusual in that, most romances don’t start off with what looks like an obstacles strewn plot. But the amazing characterization of the undeniably attractive, hazel-eyed Zayd and the demure Ashima drew me right into the heart of the story. The scenic beauty of Kasauli and its serenity subtly shines throughout. As the boo ...more
Nidhi
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I rate romance novels on these 5 criteria:

1. Was it a fast read- yes it was. So fast that i finished it in a day. Bonus that it was an easy read too. It was flowing so smoothly that i had a hard time putting it away.
2. Were the character well etched and realistic- yes they were. A huge thumbs up to Ruchi for that. Very well described and plenty of background information made it easy to relate to all characters.
3. Was it romantic and believable- yes. It was a subtle romance which was apt for thi
Paromita Goswami
Life always gives a second chance and one should accept it with open hands. Jugnu by Ruchi Singh is also an emotional roller coaster ride of two people who lost their first love in tragic incident. In the awesome hill town of Kausali the two people meet and their relationships blossoms amid so much constraints. I loved the way the author had touched each aspect a woman goes through before taking the plunge.

The character of Ashima, a mother, a daughter-in-law, a manager, a wife has been portrayed
Reshma Ranjan
Pulling your heart strings!!!
A very different love story, yes ‘love story’, I like to term this book a ‘love story’ instead of romance. Instead of an alpha male as normal in romances here we have a very young man out on a parole, running from his past and trying to find his solace in writing. And a woman who is stuck in a space where she is struggling without an answer about her past. Amidst all this is the small fluttering heart unaware of all the turmoil’s around him. The moments in this book
Sudha Nair
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the chemistry between Zayd and Ashima in the perfectly romantic setting of a hill town called Kasauli.
The bonding between Zayd and Ashima's son, Rishabh, was portrayed beautifully. Ashima's loss was palpable throughout the story. It was evident that the final choices both the main characters had to make were difficult but it was a huge relief to see them face their demons with courage and faith. Last, but not the least, loved the title of this book. Jugnu was an enjoyable breezy read!
Shraddha Sahi
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a well crafted story, written beautifully. The characters are not stereotypical and you find yourself slowly drawn into their lives. Great setting and situations. Was reminded of Anuja Chauhan's books. I'd love to read a prequel!
Komal Bhorapkar
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written story

The wave of emotions experienced by both the main characters are very well depicted. A very emotional and touchy story.
Anita
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The most important ingredient in any romantic tale is a magical connect between the protagonists that leaves you wanting for more. The author has woven the magic well between Zayd and Ashima. A non-stop and spellbinding read - recommended for all true romantics!
Ahana Mukherjee
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can you love two men at the same time with the same intensity? A question that, is not to be brushed aside with a sneer. It's a dilemma, which has plagued us from time immemorial and has kept us awake many a nights.
But yes, one of them is the forbidden love. But isn’t the forbidden fruit the more delicious of the lot? Just a thought, not be pondered much about.
In Jugnu (Firefly) too, Ashmi is torn between the love of her life, her husband, Rohit and the sudden whiff of fresh air Zayd. What mak
Inderpreet Uppal
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After a long time, I have read a book that made me fall in love with love. Yes, #Jugnu is a book that touches on a few sensitive issues but it lays open the raw need of a human being – the need to be loved, to be accepted. Whether it was Zayd or Ashima both were yearning for that elusive feeling of being cherished.

I am kicking myself that I took so long to read it!! Don’t make the same mistake, read it now! You cannot put it down!

I am a fan of Ruchi’s writing since I had read Take 2 and of cours

• A Marriage Knot: a tangled love story
  • Her Prince Charming
  • Her Protector
  • The Devil’s Kiss: A Dark Romance
  • Just The Way You Are (Soulmates, #1)
  • An Unusual Honeymoon
  • Wedding Shenanigans: Or, how Rayna grapples with heartbreak, scandal and a hot hotelier
  • Accidental Husband: A Passionate Love Story
  • BREAKING ALL THE RULES (SEHGAL FAMILY AND FRIENDS SAGA Book 3)
  • The Missing Bride: Her Love Started Where His Ended....
  • The Girl at the Wedding: A Prequel to 'Without you' (Sreepuram Series Book 0)
  • Arjun's Penance
  • Ex Factor (Wallflower Series Book 3)
  • Destiny's Girl
  • Pretend To Be Mine: A Marriage Contract Romance
  • The Captive
  • Dr. Heartquaker
  • The Runaway Bridegroom (Marriages Made in India)
Author of the bestselling romantic thriller ‘The Bodyguard’, Ruchi Singh is an IT professional and novelist writing stories under Romance and Suspense genre. She is a bilingual author and writes in both Hindi and English. Her other notable published novels are ‘Jugnu (Firefly)’ and ‘Guardian Angel’.

Winner of the Times Of India WriteIndia Season 1, she began her writing career writing short stories