Start by marking “Death Be Not Proud” as Want to Read:
Death Be Not Proud

Death Be Not Proud

(A Fairy Tale Retold #4)

Moonshine liquor, jazz-fuelled dancing, and the risk of a police raid—these are all in a night's work for cabaret singer Ruby Black. But when a rugby star mistakes her for a dead girl, Ruby's life threatens to become briefer and more exciting than she bargained for.

Two years ago, schoolgirl Wu Xue Bai was brutally murdered. Now, Ruby herself is in danger. Who killed Xue
Published March 27th 2017 by Bocfodder Press

To ask other readers questions about Death Be Not Proud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Be Not Proud

Start your review of Death Be Not Proud
Suzannah
Mar 18, 2017 marked it as my-books  ·  (Review from the author)
Coming soon in Kindle ebook and SUPER cute illustrated paperback! ;)
Breezy
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This may have been the first mystery/thriller that I've actually read, and it was LOVELY. It kept me up late into the night and was well worth it. Suzannah's way of weaving together fairy tales, poetry, history is absolutely delightful.
Schuyler
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This little beauty came in the mail last week, and after a happy Easter Sunday of worshipping and eating a tasty lunch with family, I cracked it open and polished it off. This is the third time I've polished off the story itself (the first couple of times by beta reading), and it's like a really good chocolate cake--better each successive time you eat it.

In fact, this is my favorite Rowntree fairy tale retelling thus far.

This is the kind of story that I most love. It's suspenseful and
Christina
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Death be not Proud is a short novella set in 1920's New Zealand. Part murder mystery and part fairy tale, this fast paced story had me glued to the pages--I finished it in one afternoon. I loved the references to poets and other novelists, loved how Rowntree kept me guessing until the very end. First person narration is often used to lull the reader into a sense of security, but I found myself wondering what Ruby Black wasn’t telling me. And, despite having a large cast of characters for such a ...more
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I sighed when I closed it... that's always a good sign : D
Kara
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced, clever retelling of a familiar fairy tale. I had fun guessing which one.
Hayden
A fast-paced, mind-bending read. I love Suzannah's writing, and this book is a throwback to the vintage thrillers and mysteries that have made such excellent classic films. I was literally on the edge of my seat at one point, which is a rarity for me!
J.M. Stengl
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this jazz-age murder mystery set in New Zealand. The first-person narrator keeps the reader guessing and sometimes quite confused! It is a fast-moving, complex novella that never really slows down.
I always love this author's fairy-tale retellings. Each one is a glimpse of history, beautifully written and full of surprises.
Follis Wood
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This book came highly recommended by my daughter, so I picked it up with some enthusiasm. Rowntree has an eye for detail, and her setting is finely detailed with the kind of writing I sometimes do, but usually forget to do.
This is part of her rebooted fairy story series, and it wasn't entirely clear to me which fairy tale was being covered. It might be sleeping beauty, but it has elements of the wizard's heart — or, at least, it leads one to believe that it has.
I enjoyed the book, but not as
Cela Day
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was fun in two ways: as a tale of suspense, and also as a treasure hunt - the treasures being subtle allusions to the original Snow White, which are cleverly worked into the plot and characterizations. As I read I kept thinking I'd love to see this made into a movie; I could imagine watching it on Masterpiece Theatre. The setting is spectacularly beautiful, and it would be so interesting to see what a good director would do with many of the scenes, especially those involving the lake. ...more
Sophia Field
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED Death Be Not Proud. Rowntree won me to fairy tale retellings with Rakshasa's Bride. But I think she has written a new competitor for my outright favourite.

Like the best of Rowntree's work, Death Be Not Proud was extremely hard to put down. The first-person storytelling brilliantly trapped me in a world of just-enough-information, keeping me guessing right up to the breathtaking finish. And then, at last, the 'aha' moment came, and I could only laugh and wonder at the fairy tale
Nina Clare
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A tantalising mystery set in 1920's New Zealand, which also happens to be a clever retelling of Snow White. Suzannah Rowntree does a fabulous job of blending historical stories and fairy tales in her novellas, this one was a real page turner.
Jazzy [ jazbooked ]
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Since it was based on a true story, it was pretty cool. However, it was still hard to follow along and I felt like a lot of stuff was either irrelevant in the plot or just vague. Nothing special!
Raquel Evans
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A retelling of (view spoiler) set in New Zealand. This is my favorite that I've read by the author so far. Complex and twisty, just a little bit dark. This one has some mild violence (especially discussion of a murder that took place before the story opens), so probably not recommended for very young or extremely sensitive readers, but still nothing I would consider to be major content.
Karen
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another well-written and interesting story from Rowntree. And yet another period and location I am currently unfamiliar with and would now like to investigate.
Jill
Sara
Oct 19, 2018
Kristin Ael
Dec 25, 2017

• A Fine Gentleman (The Jonquil Brothers #4)
  • Frostbite (The Dragonian, #3)
  • Taken
  • The Gift
  • The Chocolate Rose (Amour et Chocolat, #3; La Vie en Roses, #0.5)
  • Masque (Two Monarchies Sequence, #3.5)
  • Cobweb Bride (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #1)
  • Once: Six Historically Inspired Fairytales
  • Sweet Remembrance: The Little Match Girl Retelling
  • Bridal Jitters (Ghost Hunters, #0.5)
  • Bellamy and The Brute (Bellamy and the Brute, #1)
  • The Mountain of the Wolf (Historical Fairytales #3)
  • Darius: Lord of Pleasures (Lonely Lords, #1)
  • Loving Lieutenant Lancaster (The Lancaster Family, #4)
  • The Heart of a Vicar (The Jonquil Brothers #6)
  • With Blossoms Gold (Fairytale Novellas, #1)
  • Wolfskin
  • She But Sleepeth
Hi! I live in a big house in rural Australia with my awesome parents and siblings, writing historical fantasy fiction. You can visit me online at https://suzannahrowntree.site

If you like the mythic fantasy of Stephen Lawhead, S. A. Chakraborty or Naomi Novik, you'll probably like my stories too!

GOODREADS FRIEND POLICY: I'm afraid I don't accept every single friend request I receive, unless we

A Fairy Tale Retold (6 books)
  • The Rakshasa's Bride
  • The Prince of Fishes
  • The Bells of Paradise
  • Ten Thousand Thorns (A Fairy Tale Retold, #5)
  • The City Beyond the Glass