Start by marking “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

A brand new edition of this essential companion to the Harry Potter stories, with a new foreword from J.K. Rowling (writing as Newt Scamander), and 6 new beasts! It is read by Eddie Redmayne who plays Newt in the new movie.

***Important note: This is an updated version of the originally released "textbook" by this name, not the new screenplay.***

A set textbook at Hogwarts
Audiobook, 2 pages
Published March 14th 2017 by Pottermore from J.K. Rowling

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Start your review of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Lauren Stoolfire
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I smiled all the way through Eddie Redmayne's reading of this HP tie-in audiobook while in character as Newt Scamander.

Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
I read this book for the BookTubeAThon 2017 (Challenge #5: Finish a book completely outdoors)

I would like to take this opportunity to reassure Muggle purchasers that the amusing creatures described hereafter are fictional and cannot hurt you.To wizards, I say merely: Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.

Actual rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

A quick read made all the better by Eddie Redmayne - aka Newt - reading it!
I actually think I would not have enjoyed this as much if I had bought it as a
Tracey
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
There's a few cute descriptions of creatures from the Harry Potter universe. It didn't do much for me, but nothing was wrong with it.
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This audiobook was everything.
Read by Eddie Redmayne made it perfect.
There's extra beasts as well.
And sound effects of the beasts.
Ahh man it was so good!
Melissa ~ Missy (FrayedBooks)
I listened to the 2017 audiobook narrated by Eddie Redmayne and it was a fun, quick listen! I learned a little more about the beasts of the wizarding world and had a pleasant, lovely, beautiful voice reading it to me ;)
Tijana
Loved it even more because it was read by the adorable and amazing Eddie Redmayne <3

description
Shaun
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I listened to the audiobook version of this. If you're a die-hard Potter fan, you'll like this. But to me this was the equivalent of listening to mundane facts about cows, horses, pigs, chickens, goats, etc along with the accompanying barnyard noises. It was a little boring.
Fefyy Antela
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This audiobook is PURE MAGIC!

Eddie Redmayne as narrator is simply EPIC.

I love it when people commits.
katerina ☕
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
3/5 stars.

Update 23/11/2018: Listening to the audiobook made me enjoy this book a lot more, so I'm changing my rating to 4/5 stars. :)
Megan (PastelyakReads)
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5/5 for Eddie Redmayne.

Also, having the animal sound effects was quite awesome.
Sophia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun, quick little book.
Mizzio Batista
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The most interesting text book ever written! (Until we get 'Hogwarts:A History', of course.)

It amazes me how Rowling can make a book of fake information enjoyable.**** I found each entry as interesting as the last, and loved all the beasts; from ones I've never heard of, to the ones that played significant roles in the 'Harry Potter' and 'FBAWTFT' series.

The foreword has made me even more excited for the 'FBAWTFT' movie series. It was so vague, but had enough to really suck you into where the
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
I listened to the audio book of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them read by Eddie Redmayne in the car on the way to Sydney for Christmas this year. The book is nothing like the movie of the same name. What I found instead was a meta fiction style text book from Hogwarts Library written of course by the talented JK Rowling in the guise of Newt Scamander.

Published in 2001, this is a guide book to the magical creatures in the Harry Potter universe. After an introduction about the differences
Jen
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british
Hey, a book by Newt!

What?

Oh, riiiiight. He's just a fictional author. Well, I knew that. But still!

Yes, yes, and yes. I just had to listen to this audiobook because why wouldn't I?

So I like the way it is presented, I love the fact that it exists and gives you an impression of what Hogwarts and the world of Harry Potter might look like and I'm over the moon that this list of fantastic beasts gave birth to the actual Fantastic Beasts series that's under development as of now.

However, this book is
Karla
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is basically a tiny encyclopedia of various magical creatures. All I can tell you is that the audio book narrated by Eddie Redmayne is absolutely 100% worth it. It's JUST like hearing Newt from the Fantastic Beasts movies telling you in loving detail about all his favorite animals. You will seriously feel no regret after hearing the audio book verison of this book.
Alexis
In a nutshell: Your Potterverse ultimate dictionary of beasts.

Notes: There's a nice little intro about Newt, and I liked hearing about beasts I haven't seen on the movies (yet) and hearing about some familiar creatures, but otherwise, just a quick reference book, if anything.
Jenn
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the paperback years ago, but I wanted to try listening to the audiobook instead of re-reading it. "Newt" was a great narrator and the sound effects were perfect. I finished it in one sitting. Can't wait to see the new illustrated version.
Sara
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was an ok book when I first read the original one, but after listening to the new edition audiobook read by Eddie Redmayne I quite fell in love. And it's made better by its ties to the movie. Well done JK and mr Redmayne!
Brianna Benton
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really interesting! I especially loved about learning how the Golden Snitch originated. Love that the audiobook was narrated by the actor who plays Newt Scamander!
Melissa Carter
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Listening to Eddie read this book added so much more, even though its only an hour and a bit long he adds so much to the experience
Amber
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THAT EDDIE READ THIS TO ME, 3 TO 5 STARST JUST BECAUSE OF THAT AND THE SOUND EFFECTS. AND EDDIE
Keith
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The A-Z of Fantastic Beasts, narrated by Eddie Redmayne. A short fun read but for a very worthwhile cause
Chloe (thelastcolour)
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
finally listened to the audiobook and i could listen to eddie redmayne talk all day <3
Catherine Winters
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the combination of back story and wizarding world knowledge (i.e. learning about a variety of beasts). I listened with Phil.
Melissa Bishop
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was ok but not what I expected. I had hoped it would be the book version of the movie but it is an encyclopedia of magical beasts.
Heather
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend listening to the audiobook, read by Eddie Redmayne.
Court
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Review for audiobook edition.

I read the original "textbook" back when it first came out. It was a fun little guide that I quite enjoyed at the time, so, when it was announced Eddie Redmayne would be reading a re-issued version, I had to get my hands on a copy. They could have gotten anyone to read it, but the fact they got "Newt" to read "his book" just makes for all the better experience, in my opinion.

This is, honestly, my first ever completed audiobook. I've tried a few times in the past to
Gemma Collins
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are a few changes to Fantastic Beast in this audio version compared to the book that was originally published. There is no intro by Dumbledore, but several new beasts have been added. Not the end of the world.

When I bought this book on Audible, I almost rolled my eyes clean out of my head at all the complaints that were along the lines of 'this isn't a story, it's a text book! 1 star!' Yep, it's a text book. It's used at Hogwarts. But that considered, Eddie Redmayne does such a good job of
Anna Bay
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This was such a cute little book with an A to Z of the fantastic beasts in the magic world. I would really like to own a physical copy of this book, I bet it’s a cute little thing to have!

Normally I don’t listen to books since I can’t focus on it. But when I saw Eddie was narrating this one I had to give it a try. And I absolutely love it, for some reason because of the lightness of it I found it easy and excising to listen, but Jesus Christ, how do you come up with so many different animals o:
Mel Schofield
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans
Eddie Redmayne is a gift to mankind. Listening to 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' with Newt's voice was incredible, and it is amazing how Eddie Redmayne was able to capture the character of Newt purely through vocal ability. Having Eddie Redmayne read the audiobook created a sense of familiarity with the textbook, and it also further suggests to the Harry Potter fan community that the stories are real (and really, what more can you want from stories of magical realism). I wish there ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic, #0)
  • Lanny
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health
  • Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters
  • Delay, Don't Deny: Living an Intermittent Fasting Lifestyle
  • Five ​Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns, #4)
  • The Land I Lost (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #7)
  • The Science of Getting Rich
  • Breathing: The Master Key to Self Healing
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Where The Story Starts
  • Possessed (Pagan Light Book 1)
  • You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
  • A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 1 [Tongari bōshi no atelier 1]
  • The Program (The Program, #1)
  • Samtidigt i New York
"Newt Scamander" is the fictional author given by J.K. Rowling for Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them.

Newton Artemis Fido "Newt" Scamander, O.M. (Second Class), was a famed Magizoologist and author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Early in life, Scamander developed an interest in magical Creatures, influenced by his mother's breeding of hippogriffs. He attended Hogwarts School of