Start by marking “Theatrical” as Want to Read:
Theatrical

Theatrical

Hope dreams of working backstage in a theatre, and shes determined to make it without the help of her famous costume designer mum. So when she lands an internship on a major production, she tells no one. But with a stroppy Hollywood star and his hot young understudy upstaging Hopes focus, shes soon struggling to keep her cool and her secret.

Gorgeously fresh, funny and
Published June 28th 2018 by Usborne Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Theatrical, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theatrical

Start your review of Theatrical
Warda
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love books that explore passions and the excitement and nerves and the changes characters go through as they make their dream a reality and this book explored that through theatre.
Thoroughly enjoyed it!
Sylvie
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: theatre-geeks
3.5 out of 5 Stars!!

Because sometimes, it's the things that nobody notices which deserve noticing.

The first time I saw this book in a bookstore was a month ago so obviously I developed an interest in it, because: a) the cover is the cutest, b) it's a YA contemporary (one can never go wrong with a YA con.), c) I was already familiar with the author's other book (tho I have yet to read it) and d) Apparently Maggie Harcourt is the UK version of Rainbow Rowell.
And because of all this reasons I
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Family, passion, secrets, pressure, theatre.

Honestly, it's magical and lovely and wonderful and I want to read it again already.
Aditi ~ A Thousand Words A Million Books
AS SEEN ON: A THOUSAND WORDS A MILLION BOOKS

I received a review copy from Usbourne in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.

If you dont already know, Maggie Harcourts second novel, Unconventional was one of my ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE reads of 2017. It was adorkable, awkward, filled with RIDICULOUSLY cute moments, authors and being locked in convention centres! Absolutely stunning, and a MUST read.

As soon as I was done, I stalked Maggie Harcourts Goodreads
Jaime Arkin
I absolutely loved Maggie's book Unconventional so when I saw she had a new book out I had to grab it! I say this a lot, but I don't know why I waited so long to read it!

This book is a love letter to all those who work in theater - both on and backstage. I was never really a theater person but have recently for reasons (Hamilton) become more and more interested in it and seeing the performances. I never really thought about all the things that go into getting a show ready for opening night and
zainab
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Usborne for sending me the physical copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

I have this weird rule regarding contemporaries; never read a contemporary book longer than 250 pages. Why? Because most of the times they are dragged and end up getting boring and dull. But, thats not the case when it comes to Theatrical. Its easily one of the best Contemporaries I have read this year and has kind of. sort of, restored my faith in them.

Theatrical is about Hope a 17 years old Theater
Stacey (prettybooks)
I love contemporary YA about careers! As in Nina LaCour's Everything Leads to You (about a film set designer) and Maggie Harcourt's Unconventional (about a film and comic book conventions assistant), I adored delving backstage and being part of all the little details and secrets of the theatre industry. It makes me wonder about the career I could've had I already work in the book industry, which is just as magical, but I love hearing about other careers in the arts.

Continue reading this
stefiereads
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.
Review is coming! :)
But if you havent, please pre-ordered this book! ♥
Emma
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
There were so many things I enjoyed about Theatrical and a few I didn't. Honestly she annoyed me with her lower than low self esteem and for the first three quarters of the book I felt like nothing happened. But after speaking to a friend about it I persevered and quite frankly I ended up loving it!

Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Review to come :)
Nav 💁🏾
I came across Theatrical whilst browsing the library website. YA contemporary is one of my favourite and most read genres so I'm always excited to discover another book in this genre. I was also intrigued by the cover and it had me wondering what this book could be about.

Plot
We first meet Hope as she attends her interview for a stage management placement which she succeeds in getting. However, she keeps it a secret from everyone apart from her best friend as her Mum is very well known in the
Aimee
This is my second Maggie Harcourt book and it has a lot in common with the first. It's cute and fluffy, with interesting characters and a decent story. There are a few tropes and a few eye-roll moments that were just too cute to be real, but nothing unforgivable. The romance was really sweet and I liked both characters, and I especially liked that it doesn't overpower the main storyline about Hope taking on a new challenge and proving to everyone - and herself - that she can do it.

Another little
KatForsyth
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-general
I LOVED this. Admittedly it contains everything I love - it's set in a theatre, and contains endless info about how things work backstage; there's a cute romance that's lovely but isn't the centre of our MC's whole world, she has to hide her job from her family, so there's all sorts of lying and sneaking around; there's a famous film actor making his stage debut in a play that sounds more than a little like Harry Potter, so she has to deal with him, too - it's like Maggie Harcourt IS ME (only ...more
Jeannine Marie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A delightfully heartwarming light read! Fast paced, full of feelings and theater drama. This book made me appreciate theater more and the work that goes into it to release something magnificent and out of this world.

Hope Parker the MC wants to escape the shadow of who her mother is in the theater industry and build a name of her own- to prove herself worthy without any connections. Throughout the story it showcases Hope's growth, she was able to prove herself to her coworkers with every issue
Bella
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot of fun! I loved reading about the theatre and all the backstage stuff, and the characters were so great. I liked the romance and the friendships that were made, and the exploration of family and what that means as well. At a few moments I even teared up towards the end - so much joy! Its such a happy book and I really enjoyed it.

Only gave it 4 stars because there was a patch in the middle that I found a little slow and I slumped, but it picked right back up at the end.
Kayla Burton
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think calling this The UKs answer to Rainbow Rowell is not fair to this book because those are huge shoes to fill and I was not bawling at any point reading this, so not totally accurate. I really liked this book. It was a lot of fun and about theater in a way that non actors can appreciate! ...more
Kelly
Reading Theatrical is like a long, warm hug from a best friend. It was absolutely everything I needed and I was so content curled up with this beauty (I mean, LOOK at that cover!!).

Theatrical is Hopes story. Hope is a theatre lover and her passion runs through her veins, thats clear to see from the very beginning. She helps out behind the scenes at her local theatre but has just been given an internship as deputy stage manager on a top secret but very exciting new production it even has a
Boo
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
As an obsessive theatre fan, I loved this book so much and appreciated every single one of the references! Especially as someone who often volunteers backstage.
Mara
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars

I was introduced to Maggie Harcourt about two-ish years ago trough Unconventional, which I really enjoyed. It has been a while, however, and I was nervous to pick this book up. Because what if it disappoints? Well, it did not disappoint, but it didn't blow me away either.

Things I liked:
* No miscommunication, for once. I didn't have to spend half a book watching two characters dance around each other because of a misunderstanding.
* The romance was adorable
* The plot did go into
Fay Pretty
Its not life and death.
He blinks at me, then sniffs. You know as well as anyone that theatre is much more important that that.

This book is warm, fuzzy and exactly what I needed.

Some of my favourite memories have been made in a drama studio with my two best friends and a heavily notated script and whilst theyve gone on to be the best actors Ive ever met (yes, thank you for noticing my heavy bias and proud mum tones), its been a while since Ive been on stage. Opening this book was like stepping
Ellesha
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books, 2018
Okay so, I didn't really know what to expect from this book other than a story about a girl who's into theatre along with a cliche love story.

BUT, I was wrong! This book is so so good and I loved every single second of reading this book. It had a few cliches thrown in there, but at the same time it was original and different, approaching these cliches in a new and refreshing way. I love the story of this book; It's simply just about a girl who wants to make it as a stage manager, however, the
Martha

Hope dreams of working backstage at the theatre, yet she wants to prove that she belongs without the help of her famous costumer designer mother. She receives an internship and is suddenly thrust into a busy schedule of managing not only her new job, but also a stroppy Hollywood star and his handsome understudy.

First of all, I loved the theatre aspect of the story. Reading it, I felt immersed in the theatre life and this was fun to read about.

Theatrical was a coming-of-age story
Felicity  Wishes
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it

As a theatre kid, I am an absolute sucker for any book about theatre, and this one definitely fitted the bill.

I loved the focus on backstage and stage management work, it was really refreshing and those guys definitely need more credit for what they do. I liked Luke as a love interest, he was really sweet, and I liked how he wasn't an extroverted actor and was very down to earth. I found that to be something that matched with my experiences of acting.

I thought that the writing style
Faroukh Naseem
Jan 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
There are 8 stars on the cover of this book, I want to give it none. Im going to try my level best to not sound mean here but I had high escapist hopes from this book.
#theguywiththebookreview presents Theatrical by Maggie Harcourt.
I read this book mid December when I wanted something light, silly and fun. @sumaiyya.books joined me in reading it and boy did we discuss the crap out of it!
I liked the easy natured writing of the book, nothing too serious. Simple plot, nothing too exciting and
Zarina
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel like Maggie Harcourt and I could be best friends as we love so many of the same things! The first book I read by her hand, Unconventional, was all about fan conventions (from which I've been to many in my day and while I haven't been in a while, the way she described the buzzing atmosphere and community feel among fans made me nearly book myself a flight to San Diego Comic Con!). And this time around she delves into the wonderful world of theatre; another of my passions.

You may remember
sugarxspice
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked Maggie Harcourt's Unconventional, so I was keen to read Theatrical. Sadly, it was nowhere near as good and I wasn't a fan.
Theatrical was very slow-paced, with no substantial interaction between the main character and love interest until 3/4 through the book.

The story seemed to go by slowly, with every minute detail being documented. I found it boring for the most part, maybe because I don't have a passion for theatre.
I enjoyed the book more towards the end, with Hope feeling more
Reina Tan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
i like the theatre vibes in this book. how maggie's write down everything about theatre really made feel like...

i am one of staff on Earl's.

thing i disappointed was... i can't get along with the main characters easily. it took around 300+ pages to have a great relationship with them. even that, their story caught my emotion.

i smiled. i freaked out. i felt any emotion caused by this book.

if you ask me, who's my favorite character in this book?

i proudly introduce George Soo to you. because, hell
Stephanie
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Contemporary isn't always my cup of tea, I know this.
However, when it comes to Maggie Harcourt I can't help but enjoy every moment.
Theatrical looked at the subject from a little explorer point of view.
Stage Management.
The usual is actors/music/tech folk.
It was refreshing and very enjoyable to see a new side of theatre. Even if Hope was an intern.
A cute read and I look forward to Maggie's next release.
Anjalee
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know if it's that I just finished reading a 5* book before this, or that I'm not massively into theatre (despite having worked in one), but I just...didnt get the hype surrounding this book. Sure it was cute, and reasonably enjoyable but I wasn't invested in it. The final third picked up but overall I felt myself needing more. Plus there were a few typos and errors in my copy which only added to the amateurish feel. To summarise, it was good but not great.
Zuzana
I love this book so much I cannot put it in words ! Just the perfect mixture of romance, laughter and finding your true self ! Adorable. Sweet. Brilliant. My favourite book by Maggie Harcourt by far ! I thought I loved Unconventional but I didnt know what love affair with a book was like until I discovered Theatrical !! I couldnt put it down ! Im so much in love with Luke and Hope ... beautiful ! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
This book is actually amazing 1 3 Dec 18, 2018 11:15AM

• Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • Floored
  • Only Love Can Break Your Heart
  • Under a Dancing Star
  • What Magic Is This?
  • Rosie Loves Jack
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Slay
  • Bookshop Girl (Bookshop ​Girl, #1)
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • A Sky Painted Gold
  • How to Write a Love Story
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • Meat Market
  • The Island
  • Call It What You Want
  • Songs About A Boy (Songs About A Girl, #3)
Maggie Harcourt was born and raised in Wales, where she grew up dreaming of summer road trips and telling stories for a living. As well as studying Medieval Literature at UCL, Maggie has variously worked as a PA, a hotel chambermaid and for a French chef before realising her dreams and beginning to write full time.

She now lives just outside Bath, UK, where she can usually be found in a bookshop or