Start by marking “Burn (Romance in Ridgeport, #1)” as Want to Read:
Burn (Romance in Ridgeport, #1)

Burn

(Romance in Ridgeport #1)

Chloe Addison is on the verge of a promising career in real estate development until an explosion destroys her first major project and casts suspicion on her in an arson investigation. Her career is suddenly at risk—and possibly her life.

Firefighter Ryan Monroe wants a spot on the arson team, and getting close to Chloe might be the best way to solve his first investigatio
Published May 1st 2017 by Entangled Publishing (Select Suspense) (first published April 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burn

Start your review of Burn (Romance in Ridgeport, #1)
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
3/5 stars

I received this advanced reader copy in exchange for a fair and honest review through netgalley.

This story followed twenty-four year old real-estate developer Chloe Addison, who in the beginning of the story finds herself in hot water when a development she is in charge of burns down under suspicious circumstances—her being the main and only suspect.

Later that night at a bar, Chloe runs into the twenty-six year old out-of-this-world hot fire-fighter, Ryan Monroe who is involved in the case.

3/5 stars

As the two begin to get to know each other, they also have to fight the suspicion that Chloe is behind the string of arson attacks, all on her ex-boyfriend and boss’ buildings. This story was full of shifty people, relationship angst and lots and LOTS of secrets.

This book had me reading to the very last page to find out what happened, so many of the secrets that I had a feeling were there, took so long to be aired out but it only added to anticipation I felt throughout most of the book.

I found Chloe’s character to be extremely frustrating. Half the time I really enjoyed Chloe but the other half, she had me wanting to pull my hair out. There was a real imbalance with how she was portrayed, she was either meek and incapable of wiping her own ass without Ryan there to give her instructions or she was yelling at her boss and being an all-round badass. There just wasn’t enough cohesion; it was almost like two different characters.

This is also what I would call a traditional damsel in distress kind of romance story, with Chloe running to and relying on Ryan despite only knowing him for a week or two. I personally didn’t have a problem with this as I don’t mind a good damsel story, but I felt like this story really played into that and the insta-love trope.

Ryan was an extremely lovable (super hot fireman) character, he was humorous, protective and did I mention hot? Honestly though, he was probably one of my favourite characters and he always spiced up the boring parts with his dialog.

“His mom had called him a hopeless romantic. Jeremy had called him a hopeless idiot.”

I think this sums Ryan up pretty well, I think you would either see his actions as romantic or idiotic. And as much as I hate to say it, some of the time when I weighed the risks of their relationship and his actions, I thought Ryan seemed to be a little bit delusional—I mean he admitted that he was ‘falling in love’ with Chloe after knowing her for a week (all the while he was still internally debating whether or not she had set the fires).

The plot was pretty fast paced and interesting, with the whole mystery of who was really setting the fires and framing Chloe. It didn’t have me guessing to the end because I don’t think there was enough characters, with only three real possibilities, but I think the author did a good job of leaving false trails and creating doubt.

There wasn't too many other important character other than Ryan's best friend Jeremy and Chloe's best friend Lizzie.

“Lizzie released Chloe’s arm and stepped aside, smoothing her skirt as several of the employees turned to look in her direction. Her anxious movements convinced Chloe she was trying to avoid guilt by association.”

It frustrated me that Chloe was even friends with Lizzie from the beginning, she was a shallow and self-centred female character. I love to see strong female sticking up for each other, but Lizzie just fell a little flat, seeming to be more of a cliché than a character.

There was no real emphasise on female friendship and support throughout this book with Chloe and Lizzie being the only two female characters (there were a few other females mentioned briefly in a few chapters but they weren’t reoccurring characters) in a book filled to the brim with male characters. All male fire-fighters, police officers and high-ranking real-estate developers, I just wish there had been more female representation.

This was an enjoyable and cutesy read but not one I would probably pick up again, leaning a little too much onto the cliche and well ridden track.

HEA? (view spoiler)
To be published 1st of May, 2017.
Kate's Corner
2.5 Stars

This book had the potential to be more. So much more. There is a good amount of angst and trying to figure out who could have been behind it keeps you on your toes. The author writes well and she keeps the story going without any hitch or anything. Add in a sexy firefighter and you are in heaven. Ryan is a fantastic Hero. There are twists and turns to the story.

Yet. The damsel in distress trope doesn’t always work. Here it did and it didn’t. There was so much push and pull between the
Naima Simone
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First: hot firefighters. I could end this review right here. LOL! But there just so happens to be a really good book involving the sexy firefighters. The story starts with a bang as Chloe Addison, hopeful and excited about her career and a new development project, is caught in a deliberately set fire. Ryan Monroe, fireman and arson investigator-in-training, shows up at the scene and is part of the team investigating the fire. Almost immediately, his superior is suspicious of Chloe, and as events ...more
Mg ♥ The Bookishmedialite
Some heroines are so frustrating. Oh, hello Chloe.
Dísir
The conflict of interest is apparent from the start and it was what pulled me in at first: Ryan is part of the arson investigation and Chloe a person-of-interest, but that doesn’t stop him from seeking her out. The former is still hurting from his previous relationship and the latter is a timid, broken woman intimidated by her boss (who’s also an abusive ex-lover) but unable to get anywhere in the current situation though she seems in sore need of a fresh, new start.

I wasn’t entirely sure how t
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC of this novel and I really enjoyed it! Chloe and Ryan are both trying to recover from tragic events in their past. When Chloe becomes a person of interest in an arson investigation, Ryan risks his job as a firefighter to help her. The chemistry between them is off the charts from the get-go, despite a number of twists and turns that threaten to break them apart. I also really liked the mystery in this book, which kept me guessing right up to the very end. ...more
Romance Novel Giveaways Lauren Seiberling
Well I never expected THAT!

First of all, you will NEVER guess who was causing the explosions. I was so surprised!

Nextly, this was a great read! Chloe was a little down on herself and lacking self-esteem, which is understandable given the horrendous past she had to endure. But, she tried her best to be strong and carry on.

Enter Ryan, someone with an equally tragic past, depending on your viewpoint, and his loyalty to Chloe, in spite of the allegations of arson
Alison Bliss
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved BURN! I couldn't help but sympathize with Chloe. The poor woman had some issues with her self-esteem after being in an abusive relationship, and she was inundated by allegations of arson. Yikes! She was in big trouble. But who better to help her out of it than a hot firefighter, right? And even though Ryan had his own tragic past to deal with, he was all the things a hot firefighting hero should be: heroic, protective, caring, loyal, and sexy as all get-out! And the mystery was titillati ...more
Konny
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Burn by Dawn Altieri is a contemporary romance novel, a stand-alone.
Meet Chloe Addison, assistant project manager of a development company and Ryan Monroe, firefighter and - inspector.
Chloe is person of interest in a fire investigation, her boss is an ex and not so nice.
She meet Ryan and sparks fly. She has a major crush on him, but whats with Ryan? What is his intention?
Secrets and lies threaten to destroy their relationship. Is their love strong enough?
I liked Bur
Karen
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

BURN is a solid and entertaining debut novel by Dawn Altieri. What can be better than starting off with a story featuring hot and sexy firefighters?
Chloe's life has been a roller coaster lately. She loves her career, but her boss is her ex boyfriend who hasn't made things easy for her. He is a total jerk. One night after a meeting, she is nearly injured in a fire at a new development that they have been working on. After dealing with the authorities, she and her roommate g
J.B.
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this! Debut author, but you'd never know it! Well written, tightly-plotted, perfectly paced, delicious romance! Altieri keeps you guessing until the very end about who might 'have done it' and honestly, I was rooting for more than one 'villain' to get what was coming to them! I don't know fire-fighting but it certainly seems the author did her research (or knows her stuff). I've already followed this author on amazon and look forward to more in this series!
melissafandomworld
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Ahh! Writing this review was so hard becase I feel so contradictive about this book.

The story-line development was interesting. There was a serious background story present with both leads for example. And there was an interesting 'present day' story-line with some mystery woven into it, that keeps you guessing on how the plot will turn out in the end and that made it a fast-paced read from beginning until end.

The firefighter-elements were a joy to read about. I love to read about g
books are love
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Received in exchange for a honest review.

This was good. I liked how even when Ryan had reason to doubt Chloe he still looked inside himself and trusted his gut and believed she was innocent. Can’t always say that about Chloe. She was not always that way when it came to Ryan but she did have some bad relationships in the past to bring her dow the wrong path and have her wary.

The story has two characters that you fall in love with in Ryan and Chloe. Ryan is trying to go fur
Cathy Skendrovich
As soon as I saw the cover to Burn, I knew I wanted to read it. It's so provocative. And the book itself is a joy to read!
First off, the characters Chloe and Ryan have so much chemistry it's a wonder they don't set the pages aflame.

Chloe is a small town girl with a big secret. She's trying to escape her past. Instead, once she meets fireman Ryan, she is forced to confront it.
Ryan is the epitome of how I see real-life firemen: heroes. He's brave, kind, selfless, and hot. But Ryan has a pa
Books Laid Bare
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars
I am in two minds as to where I can pitch this review, for two reasons
1. Because I don’t want to give any of the storyline away because it is the depth of the story that is its biggest asset
2. If I am being honest I would have to say that because I struggled somewhat with the characters.
I appreciated not only what they had been through but also continued to experience but I wasn’t entirely sure whether I liked either of them.
I wanted to and I didn’t hate them, they just
Kathy Rouchelle
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Burn. Just what to say about this book. First, it is well written with a great storyline that is intriguing in it mystery surrounding an arson investigation. The little problem comes in with the storyline between the two lead characters Chloe and Ryan. It was a bit too much angst, too much "should I, could I". There were times it just worked on my last nerve, but I did understand both their sides, I just wish they could have come to some sort of decision a bit quicker.

The mystery of
Jennifer Pierson
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chloe Addison is working hard at a promising career in real estate development, when an explosion destroys her first major project, leaving her the prime suspect in an arson investigation. Now her career is at big risk, not to mention her life in danger. Ryan Monroe is a firefighter that is trying to get a position on the arson team when he meets Chloe. Now he's convinced that getting close to her is the best way to solve his first investigation. What he doesn't count on is his attraction to her ...more
Kourtney Brennan
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
** I received a copy of this book in a giveaway for a fair and honest review**

I actually really enjoyed this book despite not being huge into romance novels. The story kept me entertained from the first page to the last, and I loved that a mystery was added into the romance. As to who was starting the fires, I pointed the finger at several different people multiple times throughout the story, and could NOT believe the ending. I seriously didn't see it coming!!

I really enj
Kari Hansen
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chloe is a real estate developer and although she loves her job her boss/ex-boyfriend is someone she could do without. When the latest project she is working on goes up in smoke due to arson she is considered a suspect.

Ryan is a firefighter who is training to be an investigator. Although the Chief believes that Chloe may be responsible Ryan isn’t so sure.

They meet again through friends and their attraction and connection is immediate. Ryan has a tragic past and hasn’t bee
Dana Busenbark
This was my first book by this Author. It was a suspsenseful and mysterious read with a hint or romance or two. Who is Chloe Addison? Who is Ryan Monroe? What do each of them do for a living? What happens with Chloe's work that puts her in the crosshairs of an investigation? When her past comes out, thanks to Zack, what does Ryan think? What does he do? What does she tell him if anything? Who is Christopher? What about Lizzie and Blake? This is really a good read. You're going to have to read to ...more
Karla Brandenburg
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Chloe is an up and coming real estate developer, escaping a troubled past. Ryan is a firefighter (and who doesn't love firefighters!) trying to leave the ghosts of his past mistakes behind. Can either of them learn to trust again?

The conflicts and the suspense were well done, the characters believable. Ms. Altieri gave us several red herrings as we had to guess "whodunit" and brought everything to a satisfying conclusion. Well done!

I'd issue a warning to those people who
Marcia
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
A first book by this author that I would consider romantic suspense. A woman with an abusive past is a suspect in arson fires. One of the firefighters with a past of his own falls for her...

Overall I liked this book and I would have given it a higher score except that I didn't feel right about Chloe, I felt like she should have a bit more emotional baggage or something... I don't know what just that she should be more messed up like her roommate. Just my opinion. I think many people will like t
Becky Burciaga
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An intense ride that provides drama, surprises, heartbreak, and heartwarming romance. That's a lot packed into one story, but I can honestly say...it was a fantastic book from beginning to end.

The author has done a remarkable job of creating such realistic imagery that you can feel yourself experiencing the action first hand. I've enjoyed her writing and hope to find more of her books in the future.

This ARC book was complimentary, provided by the Publisher and NetGalley. I am voluntarily provi
Nika Dixon
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm 100% a Romantic Suspense junkie and BURN fed my addiction very nicely! Threaded within the growing romance between Chloe and Ryan, is a wonderfully twisty plot that leaves you guessing all the way to the end.
Rose Boniello
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found a new author to enjoy!

Chloe and Ryan both have fire stories as part of their lives. Good story, good writing, very likable characters. Suspense, romance, danger, rescue. This book has it all. Loved the fire department guys!
Ashley Carr, LSoR
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is the first story I've read by Ms. Altieri and I have mixed feelings about this book. I just couldn't really connect to Chloe. Ryan is a sexy firefighter with a protective streak and he is much more of a relatable character for me. I especially had a hard time investing in them as a couple with all the secrets they keep from each other and only giving a little tidbits of their past to each other. Overall I give the suspense factor an A+. For the sake of not giving any
Crystal
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Burn is a good story. It has suspenseful, intrique, and it flowed at a good pace, I read it all at once. It will keep you guessing till the end. The characters Ryan and Chloe were likeable, and they both had troubled pasts. Good entertaining read!
Chasny Dove Nichols
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. It kept my attention, I couldn't wait to see how it ended.
Sue
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hot, sexy firefighters. What’s not to love? A nice romance with a bit of suspense thrown in. I enjoyed this book and look forward to the next one.
Ann White
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like suspense and sizzling chemistry, read this book! Looking forward to seeing what comes next from Dawn Alteri!
Tall, Dark & Deadly: Giveaway - Best 1st Book Finalist! 5 12 Oct 06, 2017 07:57PM
Bargain Basement: $20 Amazon Gift Card 1 4 May 05, 2017 03:30PM

• Bound to Serve (Dangerous Liaisons, #1)
  • Locked, Loaded, & Lying
  • On Her Six (Under Covers, #1)
  • Sinful Secrets
  • Untrue Colors (True Lies, #1)
  • How to Tempt an Earl
  • Hard to Protect (Black Ops Heros #3)
  • The Bouquet List
  • Viable Threat (Outbreak Task Force, #1)
  • His Reluctant Rancher (Three River Ranch, #2)
  • Resisting Her Rival (Stealing the Heart, #2)
  • Willing Target
  • Kissing Her Crush (Sugar City, #2)
  • The Bad Boy Next Door (Kendrick Place #2)
  • Guarding His Heart (Half Moon Bay #3)
  • Special Forces Savior (Omega Sector: Critical Response #1)
  • Make Me Beg (Men of Gold Mountain, #2)
  • Seducing the Fireman (Risky Business #3)
2017 New Jersey Romance Writers Golden Leaf Finalist, Best First Book
2018 Heart of Denver Romance Writers Aspen Gold Runner-Up, Best Romantic Suspense

*Sign up for my newsletter for information on future publications*

A lifelong resident of northern New Jersey, Dawn Altieri has been scribbling stories practically since birth. After re
“What if you get called to a fire?”
His eyes raked over her as he prepared to devour her. “Let it burn.” 0 likes
“You seriously have a Dalmatian? Is that, like, mandatory for a firefighter?” 0 likes