Start by marking “No Wrong Turns: Cycling the World, Part One: Paris to Sydney” as Want to Read:
No Wrong Turns: Cycling the World, Part One: Paris to Sydney

No Wrong Turns: Cycling the World, Part One: Paris to Sydney

“...the most amazing trip around the world you will ever read about...”

When Chris Pountney pedals away from the Eiffel Tower he is doing more than just going for a bike ride. It is the start of an ambitious attempt to become perhaps the first person ever to circumnavigate the planet using only a bicycle and boats. With a list of seven challenges to guide him (but no real
Published March 16th 2017

To ask other readers questions about No Wrong Turns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Wrong Turns

Full Tilt by Dervla MurphyCatfish and Mandala by Andrew X. PhamMoods Of Future Joys by Alastair HumphreysMiles from Nowhere by Barbara SavageThunder  Sunshine by Alastair Humphreys
Bike Travel
57 books — 44 voters
The Secret Race by Tyler HamiltonThe Rider by Tim KrabbéRacing Through the Dark by David MillarSlaying the Badger by Richard  MooreThe Death of Marco Pantani by Matt Rendell
Best Cycling Books
275 books — 209 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of No Wrong Turns: Cycling the World, Part One: Paris to Sydney
Alex Tracey
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read a great deal of overly-hyped cycle touring books telling tales of long round the world trips, this lesser known one is by far the best. With laugh out loud moments throughout and a brilliant lighthearted writing style it kept me hooked until the last page.

Very excited for part 2!
Sierra Cook
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
very humorous, light-hearted and very interesting, some parts were a bit slow and could become boring, but it was a really fun read and I enjoyed it a lot.
He took his time remembering encounters and small details and also giving us a wonderful point of view.
Ahaseri
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book worth reading for everyone who loves the bike and likes to relax while reading. After reading this book, I was inspired and decided to buy a best balance bike https://bikesist.com/best-balance-bikes-for-kids/ for a child about which he had dreamed for so long, but earlier we could not allow it. I realized that the child simply must have his own bike. ...more
lynn
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tears

Thank you Chris. You bought tears to my eyes as you described the reasons to travel and seek adventure. It is so true, nothing can be predicted it is one day at a time and so very important to stop and smell the roses along the way. You bought back memories of my adventures travelling with my soul Mate I wish us all many more. Thankyou
Özgür Nevres
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on the subject of traveling by bike. It's really exciting and also carries a good sense of humor. I strongly suggest the booki
Sven
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Funny and light book about around-the-world travel by bike.

The author is essentially describing a succession of scenes that happened during his own bike journey. He's never taking himself too seriously and rather focuses on the moments when his own clumsiness, childishness or naivety trigger funny situations.

Through his story, he also offers a specific (and I dare hope authentic) view on the places he goes through and of the people that live there, typical real lives in no way extraordinary, t
Nicholas Evans
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An enthralling read that gets the pace and detail just right. I am a keen cyclist and this made me even keener to get out on my bike and explore. Chris Pountney gives a very honest and human description of the places and people he visits, at no point does the book feel the need to over-dramatize or sensationalize events (unlike some in the adventure genre) because the journey itself is exciting enough. Already looking forward to reading part two.
Grant Barrett
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming and fun read

I enjoyed this travel log book. The author is charming in a familiar British way and his rules make the book a very interesting ride. Great for those who wish to travel the world and dream of doing so in two wheels.
Travelalong2
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really one of the best books I have read. I held my breath, I laughed, I cried, I got inspired. Yes, I think that is the most important thing one book or human being can do to another - inspire them to go out and experience things for themselves. I've never been a couch-potato but Chris is inspiring me to push my limits a bit more. Thank you for that. Can't wait to start Into The Sunrise.
Nancy
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly entertaining adventures. Laugh out loud in many parts. I ordered Part 2 as soon as I finished the first one because I didn’t want Chris’ story to end.
Kyle
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terribly entertaining, and while it is certainly somewhat lacking without the picture that were originally on the blog, that can be forgiven.
Russell Johnson/Brenda
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Never a Dull Chapter

My wife and I have done a little bike touring but we have enjoyed traveling around the world vicariously through each and every chapter. The ups and downs of each country, the unbiased evaluations of each culture and the excitement leading up to each new chapter have kept us engaged through halfway around the world.

We can’t wait to read the next book, starting tomorrow!!!
Scott Peach
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable journey

A great read that takes you right along with Chris as he wanders from country to country, sometimes racing to the next before his visa expires. An ordinary guy doing an extraordinary thing and living his dream in doing so. Looking forward to reading the sequel!
Nancy Chambers
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny and insightful adventure story

I really enjoyed reading this book and am looking forward to reading the second part. It is well written, funny and kept me wanting to turn the pages to see what adventures Chris had continued to have. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Grahame
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!

Wow!!! Yes this book has a Wow factor. Chris keeps you alive the whole journey, you feel like you are riding with him.
Rayad Jahoor
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book because I am a fan of bike touring and was hoping for some inspiration on my future tours.

It was inspirational and gave a great insight into travelling the world and experiencing different cultures.

It also helped to remind us that life is not about the destination but the journey.
Marty Nicholas
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite a good, satisfying story. Very well written by a quirky, likeable guy...a real favorite.
Jim Lavis
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an unusually long, 500-page, travel memoir through Asia. It was unique in a sense that I’ve never read any memoirs that traveled through these remote countries in Asia. The author, Chris, started at the Eiffel Tower in Paris and traveled to Australia by bicycle and by boat. I’m not sure why he limited himself to these two modes of transportation, other than to do something challenging that he felt would possibly turned into a movie.

Chris had a lot of guts to make these trips. So many of
Steve In Ludlow
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
In a pretty crowded category (self published accounts of long distance cycle journeys) this was a pleasing journey, well told. One of the twists with No Wrong Turns is the author's self imposed rule to avoid any motorised transport (apart from boats for water crossings) which threw in a few curve balls along the way when crises including severe tooth ache and visa imposed deadlines would have been alleviated by the odd lift in a car. The journey is immense and even though most of the routes he t ...more
Maria
Dec 08, 2017 added it
Wow!! What a journey..

This is one book not to miss if you love travel and or cycling. But the places they end up in are just crazy. When Chris met Dea everything was even more amazing as Dea started to blog on their website and the fantastic journey continued. I recommend this documentation of an awesome journey around the most exciting and at times dangerous parts of our incredible planet. You won't be disappointed. Can't wait for Part 2.
Iain Beech
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Found this book by chance whilst searching on my Kindle for travel books. What a find, absolutely loved reading this book, interesting, informative, hilarious, moving,great love story, just could nt wait to pick it back up each day and read about Chris and his amazing journey, he’s living his dream to travel the world and allowing me to dream along with him. Not quite at the end yet so I am delighted to see there’s a part 2. I promise you wont be disappointed! Brilliant
Gracel lee
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good

Thanks for your fascinating, interesting book. When I was young I would have loved to do the same, but life steered me in a different direction.
Not sure you were perfectly honest about seeing the Platapus though as they are a rare animal.
Enjoy your life and I am looking forward to reading book two
gebennett
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read

Quirky, candid, interesting and well written. I am a bit wary of long distance cycling books. Some are great but often they get bogged down in the day to day tedium. This book however held my interest and was a joy to read.
J M Banicki
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Different kind of travel.

I really enjoyed traveling with Chris on this journey. I like travel books and I enjoy the ones that show me the out of the ordinary. Thanks Chris for a great ride.
Joyce A. Wendeln
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Part Two Will Be Read But

It is the Christmas Season and there is much to do. I have a great deal to mull over in what I have read so far. It has been our trip as I feel as I have peddled every mile with him.
Ros
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't ride a bike, but I do love books about travel and Chris's journey so far has kept me engrossed. He's set himself challenges and determined to complete them all with a beautiful girl by his side. I'm off to read the second book now.
Teena A. Bell
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun reading!

The travel and adventure sound great. The way places and people are described sound humorous and engaging. Looking forward to the rest of the journey.
Simon Barnes
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good Cycling Travelogue

A very enjoyable read. Can't wait for the second installment to see if Chris makes the complete circumnavigation of the world on his trusty bike.
mark watkin
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing
Ben Twoonezero
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good well written book by a amusing traveller, I will look forward to his future works.

• 50 Shades Of The USA: One woman's 11,000 mile cycling adventure through every state of America
  • Travels with Rachel: In Search of South America
  • One Man and His Bike
  • Tuk-Tuk for Two: Two strangers, one unforgettable tuk-tuk race romantic comedy through India (Weird Travel Book 3)
  • Don't Come Back: a travel adventure of bad-tempered baboons, black magic, and breakups.
  • The Reluctant Expat: Part Four - Settling Down
  • The Reluctant Expat: Part Three - Getting Ahead
  • High and Low: How I Hiked Away From Depression Across Scotland (Outdoor Adventure Book 6)
  • Don’t Go There: From Chernobyl to North Korea—one man’s quest to lose himself and find everyone else in the world’s strangest places
  • No Place Like Home, Thank God: A 22,000 Mile Bicycle Ride Around Europe
  • How Not to Get Married: Confessions of a Wedding Photographer
  • Biking Broken Europe: 6,000 Miles through an Unstable Continent
  • my little bike ride
  • Hungry for Miles: Cycling across Europe on One Pound a Day
  • The Reluctant Expat: Part One - Surprised by Spain
  • The Beardless Adventurer and her inconvenience: A first-time cycle trip across Europe
  • The Reluctant Expat: Part Two - Finding my Feet