Start by marking “Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses” as Want to Read:

Welcome to Texas barbecue. They love to make it. They love to eat it. And they love to argue about it-igniting as many feuds as fires from Houston to El Paso. Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook delivers both a practical cookbook and a guided tour of Texas barbecue lore, giving readers straightforward advice right from the pit masters themselves. Their time-honored tips, ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook

Start your review of Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses
Eric Mesa
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have yet to make any of the recipes in this book, although I have added many to my internal wiki where I keep track of recipes I'd like to make and notes on recipes I have made. What makes this book special and warranted the 4 star rating is that it's a book documenting the past and present of Texas Barbecue. So while my treasured Meathead BBQ book is about the science of cooking, this one doesn't really guide you to BBQ; it assumes anyone who buys this book is already enough of a BBQ nerd.

It
Ben
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
A nice combo of Texas bbq tour and cookbook with some history thrown in. Usually in a cookbook I like large color photos of the food and there really weren’t any in this but instead lots of historical bbq photos which was kind of different and cool.
Clark
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awesome history lesson, not to mention all the cooking tips. Very interesting the way it is presented. Learned so much.
Kelly M W Morman
Lover of Texas Barbeque!

Great recipes but really loved the history and the pictures. I can see why the writer is a 3 time James Beard winner.
Paul
Jun 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book if you like barbeque. In addition to some great recipes, it includes a little history, mentions several wonderful barbeque "joints", and gives some good pointers for the do-it-yourself-ers. I've tried several of the recipies, and have not been disappointed yet. I'm a traditionalist, so I like smoked beef brisket, only salt and pepper for a rub, and no sauce (jusk like Kreuz's in Lockhart). I'm convinced that the beer-can chicken is the best way to cook a chicken. Some of ...more
Tim
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The history of barbecue in Texas.
Not being American my knowledge of BBQ, or BBC as they spell it, is limited but I found this fascinating.
Lots of period B & W photos, recipes, heroes from past and present, BBC restaurant recommendations etc., combine to make an exceptional book.
Just wish, like other US BBC books that I own, meat was as cheap in the UK as there !
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Haven't quite finished it or tried any of the recipes, but most of them sound really good and authentic. My only complaint so far is that there appears to be more history than recipes, but hey- there's a lot to learning barbeque in Texas...
J.C.
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good compilation of recipes from the biggies of Texas BBQ. Some useful history too.
Bill Lenoir
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is no one kind of barbecue in Texas. This is a great way to delve into this wonderful food.
Daniel
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great recipes and even more interesting historical background about them. The explanations of the regional styles of BBQ within Texas are the best that I've read.
Michelle
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
WOO! WOO! There will be some great BBQ's at my house this summer! Great recipes and tips
Brent Barnard
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love how Walsh gives readers such a feel for the history and varieties of TX barbecue - interspersed with savory recipes and techniques. (Actually most of his books work in this way.) Great book!
DAVE BONNER
Apr 15, 2018
Nancy
Sep 01, 2012
Junhong
rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2018
May 27, 2008
Bill Costlow
Jan 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Hallowe'en Party (Hercule Poirot, #39)
  • Michigan Murders
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • Pitmaster: Recipes, Techniques, and Barbecue Wisdom
  • A Dictionary of Family History: The Genealogists' ABC
  • Project Smoke: Seven Steps to Smoked Food Nirvana, Plus 100 Irresistible Recipes from Classic (Slam-Dunk Brisket) to Adventurous (Smoked Bacon-Bourbon Apple Crisp)
  • The New Geography of Jobs
  • So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
  • America Walks Into a Bar: A Spirited History of Taverns and Saloons, Speakeasies and Grog Shops
  • Texas Slow Cooker: 125 Recipes for the Lone Star State's Very Best Dishes, All Slow-Cooked to Perfection
  • The Deep State: The Fall of the Constitution and the Rise of a Shadow Government
  • When Women Ruled the World: Six Queens of Egypt
  • The Best Pasta Cookbook: 100 Classic Pasta Recipes
  • Superfood Soups: Fast and Easy Soup and Broth Recipes for Natural Weight Loss and Detox (Free Gift - Superfood Smoothies): Healthy Recipes for Weight Loss (Souping, Soup Diet and Cleanse Book 1)
  • Colonial Spirits: A Toast to Our Drunken History
  • Old Man Drinks: Recipes, Advice, and Barstool Wisdom
  • Zahav: A World of Israeli Cooking
  • Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy
Robb Walsh is the author of four previous Texas cookbooks, including The Tex-Mex Cookbook. He is also the food critic for the Houston Press.