Start by marking “The Mitford Murders (Mitford Murders #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mitford Murders (Mitford Murders #1)

The Mitford Murders

(Mitford Murders #1)

It's 1919, and Louisa Cannon dreams of escaping her life of poverty in London, and most of all her oppressive and dangerous uncle.

Louisa's salvation is a position within the Mitford household at Asthall Manor, in the Oxfordshire countryside. There she will become nurserymaid, chaperone and confidante to the Mitford sisters, especially sixteen-year-old Nancy - an acerbic, b
Published September 14th 2017 by Sphere

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'As she moved along, stately but sure, like the Lusitania departing from Liverpool, she thought she recognized a figure out of the corner of her eye. It gave Florence a start. Did he know she would be at Victoria? The man was slight, angular and frayed at the edges - a wooden life raft to her ocean liner. His back was half turned away and his hat was pulled down low so that she couldn't be sure if he had seen her. Florence picked up the pace, her heart quickening. She spotted her Porter ...more
Susan
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vine
I am a great lover of Golden Age mysteries, but often feel that modern novels which attempt to recreate that period feel, sometimes suffer from an attempt to make them modern and appeal to modern readers. In some ways, this novel is a good example of a mystery, set in the period 1919 – 1921, yet which is aimed at a modern audience and attempts to make the crime more realistic; yet, in doing so, loses some of the charm of those books.

Louisa Cannon lives with her washerwoman mother, and her unscr
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
The Mitford Murders by Jessica Fellowes is a historical murder mystery novel that came into my hands through a family member who I often trade books with. I was initially intrigued by the surname of the author of this book, Jessica Fellowes. A quick search of Jessica Fellowes revealed that she is connected to Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey fame, she is his niece. Further connections to Downton Abbey came to light as I discovered that Jessica Fello
Constantinos Sikabrok
Θετικά στοιχεία
- Οι περιγραφές του βιβλίου σε βάζουν στο κλίμα της εποχής μετά τον πόλεμο (1920).
- Οι χαρακτήρες του έργου φαίνονταν φυσικοί για την εποχή.

Αρνητικά στοιχεία
- Το κίνητρο του δολοφόνου δεν μου φάνηκε ισχυρό για τον φόνο (άποψή μου)
Chari
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Con una trama basada en un crimen real sin resolver en el que la autora involucra a la conocida familia Mitford y en la que da resolución a la ficción creada, resulta una opción más dentro de las de lecturas de entretenimiento.
Brenda
Louisa Cannon lived with her mother, both quietly working for others as a seamstress and washerwoman. Things had been hard since her father died, but it had become much worse when her uncle arrived. Louisa was frightened of him, and her mother was too cowed to speak up. So Louisa kept out of his way while she dreamed of escape. One thing led to another and suddenly Louisa had the opportunity to work in Asthall Manor with the Mitford family – she would be a governess of sorts to the six children ...more
Maine Colonial
Oct 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
As someone who’s been reading about the Mitford family for years, I just couldn’t resist buying this book. But I wish I had.

Much of the story plays out at the Mitfords’ estate in 1920, when the eldest child, Nancy, is 16 and the youngest, Deborah is born. Our main character, Louisa Cannon, age 18, has fled dire circumstances in London and been taken on as a nursery maid. Nancy latches on to Louisa because she is starved for variety and the companionship of someone close to her own age.

The Nancy
Sheryl
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I’ve read by this author; she's built quite a following over her "Downtown Abby" books. I love historical mysteries primarily set in post-war Britain. This book did not disappoint; the way Ms. Fellowes weaved the facts of the case with her own brand of fiction made this a terrific mystery. I must confess, I had no idea this book was based on a true story until I finished the book and read the author’s notes.
Florence Nightingale Shore was a war nurse whose God Mother you
Myrna
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was largely a book of fiction but based on real events and people after WWI. I liked Louisa and the Nancy Mitford story more than the murder mystery of Nightingale. Good book but I didn’t love like I was hoping. 3.5 stars!
Josephine Quealy
*cue Cartman voice* Ah’m talkin’ fifth-season Night Court LAME.

This was a dreary effort and I’ll not be delving further into the series. A drippy heroine, a plodding plot, and having Nancy saying ‘Farve’ every five seconds does not conjure up the world of the Mitfords. There’s a plot twist revealed halfway through that you’ll probably see coming and, even if you don’t, will NOT have you clutching your pearls. You’ll also most likely guess the killer. Utter drivel.
Carmen
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, 4-estrellas
Me ha gustado muchísimo y he disfrutado leyendo y viendo hacia dónde me encaminaba la escritora. Creo que esa mezcla de narrativa con misterio e investigación funciona muy bien y consigue una novela muy atractiva para diferentes tipos de lectores.

Opinión completa en el blog
Ivy
Als ich von dem Verlag gefragt wurde, ob ich nicht Interesse hätte, das neue Buch von Jessica Fellowes zu lesen, war ich anfangs etwas skeptisch. Ich muss gestehen, ich war noch nie ein großer Fan von historischen Romanen, tue ich mich – aus irgendeinem Grund – immer schwer damit, in diese Geschichten einzutauchen. Doch die Mischung aus Krimi und Historischer Roman machten mich neugierig. Außerdem hatte ich mir dieses Jahr fest vorgenommen, meinen literarischen Horizont zu erweitern und mich auc ...more
Giulia Capacchietti
Florence Nightingale Shore, stimatissima infermiera di guerra, viene trovata in fin di vita su un treno per Warrior Square. Morirà poco dopo. Nello stesso giorno Louisa Cannon salta giù dal treno in corsa per sfuggire allo zio, che vorrebbe farla prostituire e conosce Guy Sullivan, giovane agente della Polizia Ferroviaria. Insieme, e con la complicità della giovanissima Nancy Mitford, presso la cui famiglia Louisa andrà a lavorare, indagheranno sul misterioso assassinio di Florence.
Si tratta di
Angie
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, netgalley
3.5 stars, rounded up

A fun period mystery, based upon a real unsolved murder, with plenty of appearances of real people from the era.

It grabbed me from the beginning, with the murder of Florence Nightingale Shore. As it still remains a mystery today, I couldn’t wait to see where the story went. I’m also fascinated by the the Mitford sisters and looked forward to reading about them. Although I enjoyed the story, I think it could’ve been even better with more details. I would classify this as a
Brenda Kittelty
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Do yourself a favour... and give this overly long, nonsensical insult to the mystery/crime genre a really wide berth. Anyone who can make the famously eccentric Mitford family appear so dull and boring deserves some sort of reverse commendation. And to pin the based-on-real-events-murder on an actual person, whom the author admits was blameless in her epilogue, is sailing close to the winds of defamation and slander. This book was ten kinds of crap. Why in the hell did I persist?
Ange
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, books-i-own, mystery
*2.5 stars
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
The Mitford sisters have fascinated me for more than a decade, I read biographies, autobiographies, their letters, Nancy Mitford's novels etc. I don't think I am an expert, but I am familiar, so I think the main reason I found this book hard to deal with was the fact that I simply could not see any point in bringing the Mitfords into this otherwise fine murder mystery.

The setting is 1919/1920 and a young girl from London tries to escape from her evil uncle and is glad to get a job as nursery ma
Lindsay
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Oh my Lord, this book is BAD! I don’t know if I’m more bothered that the crime element was so weak it would have struggled to make an engaging novella, or that the Mitfords have somehow been reduced to insipid blandness.

Don’t even get me started on the ending - you CANNOT just decide that an actual real person who was never even charged let alone suspected, was guilty of the murder. A real person who was a good friend. Who was involved in running the memorial to Florence Nightingale Shore. That’
Aylavella
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
3,5 estrellas
Mi reseña: http://elmundodeaylavella.blogspot.co...
Joanne D'Arcy
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Mitford Sisters have always fascinated me. How six women made such an impact on social and political history throughout the twentieth century. The people they knew and associated with jump from the pages of a history book.

When I first saw this title, I was intrigued. even more so when I learnt the author is related to Julian Fellowes* of Downton Abbey fame. There must be a storytelling gene somewhere in them there Fellowes!

But whilst this is a story, this is also a book based in reality, bas
Holly
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
I was hoping to love this one but, unfortunately, I didn't. I was expecting a cozy mystery with the possible involvement of the Mitford sisters. It was kinda like that but just not quite what I wanted. Let me first say that this wasn't badly written. Jessica Fellowes can write, and I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy this series. However, I think for me everything seemed bland. Bland characters and a bland plot.

We open to Florence Nightingale Shore being murdered--which is a real life murder tha
Roman Clodia
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
It was probably only a matter of time before someone turned Nancy Mitford into a detective! This is set between 1919-21 when Nancy is 16-18 with a climax at her coming-out ball. She's bright and sassy, with some traces of her famous wit but Fellowes gets away with it by making her so young. The other 'Mitford gals' are more or less children and babies and don't play much part in this. The main characters are Louisa, a run-away working-class nanny and friend to Nancy, and her romantic interest, a ...more
Booklunatic
4 Sterne

Downton Abbey meets Miss Marple - oder so. Sehr charmant, sehr unterhaltsam. Und was beschaulich beginnt, nimmt ab der Hälfte nochmal so richtig an Fahrt und Spannung auf. Und zu guter Letzt, als man die Auflösung schon beinahe in trockenen Tüchern wähnt, folgt sogar noch eine spektakuläre Wendung...
Ksenia (vaenn)
"Аґатою Крісті" "Мітфордські вбивства" таки не стали, хоча іноді дуже старалися. Власне, цей роман не є ані старосвітським cosy mystery, ані сучасним соціальним детективом-трилером зі стилістикою more dark, more realistic. Але балансувати між ними пробує. З перемінним успіхом.

Що привертає увагу:

* з динамікою та щільністю подій - біда-біда, ні, це не Пуаро, і навіть не міс Марпл;

*розпорошеність сюжетних ліній і часте перемикання між ними. Взагалі, суто структурно "Мітфордські вбивства" з їхніми м
Vebuma
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5* Es entretenido y te va relatando todo como si fuera una serie. Los capítulos cortos a modo de escenas. Me ha entretenido.
Emjy
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Un excellent Golden Mystery qui nous plonge dans le Londres des années 20 et nous entraîne jusqu'à Asthall Manor, le domaine de la famille Mitford. Ce polar est en fait multi genres. En plus d'une enquête policière intrigante et menée avec adresse, le roman se révèle aussi une comédie anglaise pleine d'humour, de rythme et d'émotion. A classer indéniablement parmi les satires upstairs / downstairs typiquement british, on y suit en effet le parcours de la jeune nanny des Mitford, de 2 ans ans plu ...more
Kathy
Aug 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
not for me - a young woman being violently treated by her drunken uncle is not something I care to proceed with and find the number of positive reviews hard to swallow
Nicpoń
Nie jestem wielkim fanem kryminałów w stylu retro i po ten chwyciłem tylko dlatego, że jest tam data moich urodzin.
„Morderstwo w pociągu” to książka zainspirowana prawdziwymi postaciami i wydarzeniami, o czym dowiedziałem się pod koniec książki. Historia skupia się wokół morderstwa na Florence, byłej sanitariuszki. W sprawę angażują się przedstawiciele różnych klas społecznych, m.in. policjant kolejowy, opiekunka dla dzieci i panna z dobrego domu. Drogi bohaterów w różnych momentach się przecina
Reta Anna Maria
Ihan ok romaani. Arvasin käänteitä hiukan etuajassa, mikä vähän latisti lukukokemusta.
Leer En el Sur
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entretenida novela de misterio con ese toque que me recordó las clásicas novelas del género.
  • A Proposal to Die For (Lady Alkmene #1)
  • April in Paris, 1921 (A Kiki Button Mystery, #1)
  • A Different Kind of Evil
  • Fall of Angels (An Inspector Redfyre Mystery #1)
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • The Baker Street Four, Vol. 1
  • Theft of Life (Crowther and Westerman, #5)
  • Murder Most Malicious (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in an English Village (Beryl and Edwina Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1)
  • Death in the Stars (Kate Shackleton, #9)
  • The Secrets of Wishtide
  • A Killer in King's Cove (Lane Winslow #1)
  • The Poisonous Seed (Frances Doughty, #1)
  • The Ripper's Shadow (Victorian Mystery #1)
  • The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries #1)
  • Death of a Robber Baron
  • Death at Thorburn Hall (Drew Farthering Mystery #6)

Mitford Murders (3 books)
  • Bright Young Dead (The Mitford Murders #2)
  • Cruel Bodies (Mitford Murders #3)