Start by marking “The Poison of Love” as Want to Read:
The Poison of Love

The Poison of Love

Published (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Poison of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poison of Love

Start your review of The Poison of Love
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked reading the portrayal of how a person can break down mentally in the worse ways possible because of someone they truly cared about.

The storyline has been crafted so well that it is just impossible to let of this book once you start reading the first page.
The characters are so well built; the plot is so engaging and gruesome that it reaches the core of bitterness that your heart hides and the secret sadness your mind needs to reveal comes alive while reading this book.
This is how much I l
Khyati Gautam
"Love is like milk. With the passage of time, it sours, splits, and becomes poison."

The Poison of Love by K. R. Meera is a contemporary novel set around its protagonist Tulsi and her decayed, eventually dead, love. This book presents the story of a woman who fell in love with a philanderer, loses her sheen over the years, only to live and die a wretched human in the end.

Tulsi, you fell in love with Madhav. You were enraptured by his envious charm, his twinkling eyes, his mushy romance. You, stra
Saif Sayed
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Poison of Love by K.R. Meera is a short novel, originally published as Meera-saadhu in Malayalam and later translated to English by Ministhy S. This novella has recently gained quite a fame after it was translated. After reading a lot of positive reviews and recommendations from friends, I finally decided to read it..

If you haven't read the novella and are planning to read it, please close this review and go back!

*Spoilers ahead*

I don’t know how to begin this, I have so much to say about thi
Vijetha
31st May 2017:

This is not a happy book. There's not one happy scene. (I know its not a bad thing, read on) And you are going to experience crazy load of (unwanted) emotions while reading it - pity for the lady and her plight, annoyance towards the writer for her repeated usage of 'tonsured head'/'scratched my now bald head' in every single paragraph in the second half of the book thereby disrupting the flow of the story, clear hatred towards the erstwhile pitied lady for doing what she does ((v
Resh (The Book Satchel)
A simple story of a talented woman giving up her career and job prospects to marry (elope) for love only to end up with a philandering husband. The book begins with our protagonist living her life in Vrindavan as a Meera sadhu and is told in a set of flashbacks.

The prose is spare, which is Meera's style of writing. I liked the subtle symbolisms in the book. Tulsi decides to become a Meera sadhu and spends her days worshipping Krishna, the god well known for loving many women. Coincidentally, Mad
Ankita
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Translated from the Malayalam by Ministhy S. The Poison Of Love presents us with the story of Tulsi who forsakes her family and a bright career for Madhav. A philanderer in the truest sense, Madhav swept her off her feet with the fake promises and sugar-coated romantic talks. She runs off a day before her wedding to marry him, leaving behind her loving family and fiancé to seek the everlasting excitement Madhav talked of.

K.R. Meera’s portrayal of the moonstruck woman’s transition to a forlorn an
Madhulika Liddle
Ants are omnipresent in KR Meera’s The Poison of Love. Visually, of course, since each chapter of the book is preceded by a striking black page with illustrations, in white, of ants. Ants, slowly gathering. Ants, beginning to swarm. Ants, forming armies, turning ominous by dint of their sheer numbers.

But the visual element is only a small part of the book; ants feature prominently in the story itself. Armies of ants, devouring corpses, coming together in their thousands to take over the dead an
Sonali Dabade
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
4.5 stars!

Raw, intense, hard-hitting, heartbreaking, this novella took the wind out of me! I wasn't expecting to get pummeled in the gut at 1:30 in the night, but okay and thank you very much, I did, and now I'm not okay. I don't want to say what exactly this book is about because doing that will sort of give away the plot given how short the book is. But READ IT!

P.S. I'm so glad my 24-hr readathon has had 3 amazing books so far!
Em*bedded-in-books*
Vitriolic.
Awesomely awful ... or rather.... awfully awesome.
Focuses upon the corrosive nature of physical attraction disguised as love, which is capable of destroying promising lives.
Central character is TuIsi, a promising IIT student who is fatally attracted to Madhav, a philandering journalist, who claims with pride, his previous 27 conquests. Tulsi soon finds out that she's not his final stop.. and is devastated and deranged at his behaviour.

She goes psychotic, does things a mother would nev
Vikalp Trivedi
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
She sits in the garden where it is believed that Krishna and Radha do raasleela. She sits and sing out bhajans as loud as her hardly alive body allows her to. So loud that it should disturb the devine lovers during their raasleela. She does it because she loathes every love story except her own.

She is Meera Mai - a Meera Sadhu, head shaven, mouth toothless, frail and deteriorating body which is wrapped in a dirty white saree. But more importantly she is one of those ten thousand creatures of Vr
Padmaja (thebookishtales)
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The poison of love is translated from the Malayalam by Ministhy J. Originally published in Malayalam as “Meera Sadhu”

“Love is like milk. With the passage of time, it sours, splits and becomes poison.”

It’s a beautifully haunting book about Tulsi, an IIT graduate who is swept off her feet by the charismatic Madhav, and they elope and marry.

Madhav’s idea of love is totally different. He sees it as an offering or alms which he gives to various women. He has had 27 girlfriends before he married Tulsi
Arya V Reghu
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Terrible to notice an IIT Graduate never having enough brains to think . Maybe that's what love does to people; burning even their commonsense? The book is dedicated to “all the Meeras of Vrindavan,” Meera a lady who blindly left everything for her devotion/desire?

Emotionally draining . A contemporary taking inspirations from the most familiar characters from and within the Dwaparayuga. The most relating aspects of Rahda-Krishna and Meera bhai . I loved how horrific and depressed I got after rea
Simran Sharma (Craartology)
The Poison of Love, is a short book about Tulsi, a successful IIT graduate who makes the wrong choice while selecting her life partner. She elopes with the man of her dreams only to realise that she has ruined her life and that of her family due to this decision.

Tulsi's and Madhav don't have a happy marriage for very long. Unpleasant circumstances induce her; into taking some drastic and horrifying decisions which make her lose all that she has.

Penance and vengeance simultaneously become the sol
Rebecca
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Tormenting!!!! More tormenting is the fact that this is happening all around me...
Siddharth
Leaves an angry red welt across your torso. 3.5 stars.
Prabha Cr
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
K. R. Meera’s ‘The Poison of Love’ is the unfortunate story of an IIT educated girl. The protagonist Tulsi meets an attractive gentleman Madhav. She was swept off her feet by this self confessed experienced lover of many girl friends. She chose to run away and marry him ditching her parents, sisters and her impending arranged marriage. She was convinced that he was bestowing love on all those women who were turned down by their lovers and husbands. He continued with his game even after marriage, ...more
Mridula Gupta
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Tulsi loves Madhav. She elopes with him and they get married in a temple. Madhav is a journalist- a damn famous one. Tulsi is or rather was, a bright student from IIT with record marks and a promising future. She gives it all up for Madhav. In years to come, they make two sweet babies- Unni and Kanna. Sounds great right? Some great decisions and a happy life?

12 years later Tulsi is not Tusli anymore. She is Meera
Aritri Chatterjee
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Books like these bring out all your scars and you bleed profusely as you read. After finishing this read, I am going to auto-buy all her other novellas.
Paulami
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The ants in the illustrations before each chapter reminded me of One Hundred Years of Solitude and the significance that they held there as well. K R Meera fills the novella with pangs of heartache. Though I felt that the language was inadequate as times, I still enjoyed it. The story delves into areas which might put us in an uncomfortable position and thus making it more interesting to read through it. One shuns their moral compass when they delve into heartache so deep and vengeful. We witnes ...more
Kinjal Parekh
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting because it was so hard to put it unread half way.

My heart ached while reading. It is a 100 page long novella written with nothing but excellence. The story in this book is so brutal and powerfully penned that I couldn't help myself but feel heary hearted.
The very 1st line, the opening, is in fact so perfect and catching that you would want to read more of it.

I loved reading every line of this book
Anukriti Malik
I'll rate it once I settle with the story. It's discomforting.
Vidhya Thakkar
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovedd itt!! The poison of love is translated from the Malayalam by Ministhy J. published as “Meera Sadhu”. It’s a story of Tulsi and Madhav. It’s their journey from friendship to marriage and their life later. Will they have a successful marriage?

When you pick up the book, calm down and start it with a fresh mind as you’re going to feel various emotions at the same time. Sometimes you’ll feel Love is an illusion, sometimes, you’ll Love, LOVE, sometimes You’ll Hate LOVE.

Be prepared to witness th
Roshan Singh
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Always the same, he serves his love in lethal doses,
For, love is Narcissus at the water's edge, haunted
By its own lonely face, and yet it must seek at last
An end, a pure, total freedom, it must will the mirrors
To shatter and the kind night to erase the water."
-The old playhouse

This book, spanning just a little over hundred pages is a devastating tale of what Kamala Das calls lethal doses of love. I was also reminded of T.S. Eliot's 'Gerontion' while reading this. Love, when becomes the s
Pratikhya Moharana
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The poison of love by K.R. Meera.
🌟🌟🌟🌟.5/5
The poison of love is one of those books which would make you hate and love the protagonist at the same moment. The kind of person that would make you feel hell and heaven at the exact same moment. Tulsi perfectly defines the above statement. The girl who loved Madhav with all her soul. The girl who sacrificed everything for her beloved. She received love but she even recieved betrayal. But even after that she loved him. Tulsi took revenge with love. T
Anuradha Mohankumar
I just finished reading this book and I am so overwhelmed with emotions that I thought I should immediately write a review before the feelings settle in leaving a hole in my heart. Tulsi is in love with Madhav, but is Madhav really the man that he claims to be. With every sentence you feel her anguish, her sadness. As you delve into the book, you lose yourself into it becoming one with Tulsi, crying with her, feeling bad for her.

This book left me heartbroken. Tulsi's story is the story of every
Saiesha
I read this in one sitting last night and I was really perplexed as to how am I supposed to react to it. I didn't love it too much but I didn't hate it as well. The story is about a woman named, Tulsi, who sacrifices everything for love and in turn, it doesn't do any good for her. Her husband is a typical f*ck boi and his dialogues made my eye roll so hard. But I liked how I saw so many women I know in her, the ones who go all out for their relationships, sacrifice themselves in order to be ther ...more
Vipin Goyal
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love is undefinable, everyone has his own perception. The poison of love is elixir that makes you immortal. Love is milk as well

as curd,butter,cheese, butter milk, and numerous other forms of milk all of which turn into poison with the passage of time and turn of events. Every woman is Radha with a longing soul.To be Meera is easy but turmoil of Radha was far greater. What is more hard to face reality or illusion. This is the story of a run away bride who destroyed five lives.What a waste of be
Smriti
Chilled me to the bone.
Book Hunt With Us
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it
"Poison of love" by K. R. Meera is a tiny book that can really shock your system with it's mind shattering twist.😲 I started off with this book because it was my mom's favorite in our native language! Alright, let's dive in then!🤓

This story is about Thulsi, a girl who dumps her rage on her husband and lover-Madhav. Even after her husband 'confessed' that he is no longer involved in any affairs to be with Thulsi, he continued to cheat on her and eventually, decided to marry someone else.😒 However
Simant | Flipping Through the Pages
Full review on: FLIPPING THROUGH THE PAGES

Tulsi is the main protagonist of this book and the story starts in Vrindavan where she is a Meera sadhu now. The story then continues in flashbacks, switching between past and present. When Tulsi was young, she was a talented woman who had a bright career ahead of her and was about to marry her fiance. But then there was Madhav to whom she was strongly attracted and thus leaves her fiance and marries Madhav.

Madhav had 27 girlfriends in past and Tulsi was

• Poonachi: Or the Story of a Black Goat
  • Eating Wasps
  • Trial by Silence
  • Tongue-in-Cheek: The Funny Side of Life
K.R. Meera is an Indian author, who writes in Malayalam. She won Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award in 2009 for her short-story, Ave Maria.She has also been noted as a screenplay writer of 4 serials.
Meera was born in Sasthamkotta, Kollam district in Kerala.She worked as a journalist in Malayala Manorama, later resigned to concentrate more on writing. She is also a well-known column-writer in Malayalam