Start by marking “Don't Wake Up” as Want to Read:
Don't Wake Up

Don't Wake Up

Alex Taylor wakes up tied to an operating table.

The man who stands over her isn't a doctor.

The offer he makes her is utterly unspeakable.

But when Alex re-awakens, she's unharmed - and no one believes her horrifying story. Ostracised by her colleagues, her family and her partner, she begins to wonder if she really is losing her mind.
Published May 25th 2017 by Bonnier Zaffre (first published May 18th 2017)

Start your review of Don't Wake Up
Kaceey
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well-crafted thriller!

Dr. Alex Taylor awakens to find herself alone in an operating room. Strapped down to the operating table with only a sheet covering her otherwise naked body, she has no idea how she got here. Why is she here? Suddenly she sees someone in the room with her. When she calls out, the person behind the mask just stares at her. Why won’t anyone help her? All she has to do is answer one simple question.

"What does NO mean?"

When she finally come
Charlotte May
This gripped me from the get go. A woman wakes up, strapped to a bed, with no idea where she is. A man is leaning over her, threatening her with the most god-awful things. Suddenly Alex awakens once again and she is in hospital, traumatized from her experience - positive that she has been raped. But no one believes her, and there are no bruises or physical evidence to back up her story.

Alex lives in fear, that the person who attacked her is still out there and can return for her at a
Rachel Hall
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shockingly poor, with an increasingly preposterous plot and an awkwardly abrupt narrative, Don’t Wake Up is comparable only to the misery of a six-hour wait in A&E surrounded by inebriated football hooligans. For me, this novel sums up everything that is wrong with the over populated female friendly psychological thriller market.. far fetched scenarios, unlikely occurrences to satisfy the twist component and inane decision making by unconvincing characters devoid of both consistency and logi ...more
Sarah Joint
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The opening to this book actually made me feel a little sick imagining myself in the same predicament as the main character, Alex. It was scary, definitely started off with a bang. While I was impressed with the sick feeling the author managed to induce, it took me awhile to get seriously into the book... but once I was, I didn't want to stop reading. I found this book to be nerve-racking and unpredictable, and the last 25 percent is a complete roller coaster and actually stressed me out.

Alex is areading.
Norma * Traveling Sister * On hiatus due to health
Edgy, mysterious, & disturbing!

DON’T WAKE UP by LIZ LAWLER is an engaging, dark, suspenseful, and intense psychological thriller that I was immediately drawn into. The subject matter is disturbingly nightmarish and terrifying to make this quite the intriguing, enjoyable and entertaining read.

This book immediately grabbed my attention but necessarily didn’t keep it all the way through though. I did get a tiny bit impatient with some aspects of the storyline as it seemed to stall
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3.5 stars. Mysterious, suspenseful and chilling!

Dr. Alex Taylor wakes up under the bright lights of an operating table, groggy and confused. She is strapped down and hooked up to an IV with no sense of what happened. Assuming she had a bad accident, she asks the doctor beside her for details. The next thing she knows, she is waking up on a gurney in the hospital she works at, surrounded by her co-workers. They tell her she was found unconscious in the parking lot. What happened betwe
Holly  B
4.5 STARS
Reviewed on May 5,2017 / Publication date May 25,2017

This book gripped me from the first page! Alex is the main character. She wakes up blinded by bright lights and discovers that she is in her own hospital and her body is covered in drapes. Her arms tied down with velcro. She freezes when she discovers that she is naked and her ankles are held up in stirrups.

Very mysterious circumstances. Someone in a surgical gown is handling surgical instruments. Alex asks him "What is
Linda Strong
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Dr. Alex Taylor wakes up, she finds herself tied to an operating table. She has no memory of how she got there, nor does she know why. There is a man standing over her ..asking one question.

When Alex awakes for a second time she is in the hospital, with her colleagues surrounding her. She was found knocked out in the parking lot next to a broken tree limb. She is unhurt other than a bump on the back of her head. But no one will believe her amazing story.

Her family and friends i
Liz Barnsley
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fast read for me, in many ways your typical psychological thriller but it was superbly menacing and I give it extra points for being quite unpredictable - not necessarily on the "whodunnit" level, although Liz Lawler does a great job of obfuscating things - but more because it didn't feel at all like things would necessarily work out for our main protagonist. Did all come good in the end? Well you'll have to read to find out.

It has that addictive quality that I look for in
j e w e l s
May 02, 2019 rated it did not like it

The story is so meh, I can't even bother to write more about it.

PS: the "American" audio narrator is the worst. She sounds like a robot. M O N O T O N E. I am not kidding! It is as if she is reading the phone book to you. Ughh.

There is a British version narrator, not sure why the two versions were necessary, but only the American one was available on Overdrive to me. The British one has got to be better.

Carolyn
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this high tension medical psychological thriller Dr Alex Taylor finds herself in a living nightmare. Drugged and abducted in the hospital car park after work, she wakes up to find herself immobilised, naked and strapped down to an operating table in an operating theatre with a masked surgeon standing over her threatening to do her harm. After she is later found unconscious, fully dressed, she is told there is nothing wrong her and she must have suffered a bump on the head. No one believes her ...more
Lee
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book right from the beginning. It has a fast pace and kept making you question what was going on which always intrigues me when this happens, quite unpredictable with a mysterious edge. Bodies are piling up and it all becomes quite addictive. A well developed thriller which builds to a very exciting end. Thank you to Netgalley, the author and publisher for a chance to read this in exchange for an honest review.
Zoe
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced, gritty, and disturbingly creepy!

Don't Wake Up is a character-driven psychological thriller that highlights how fragile the mind truly is and how easily someone’s behaviour can be questioned, misinterpreted, manipulated, and used against them.

It is, ultimately, a story about jealousy, revenge, hatred, violence, and murder.

The characters are multilayered, vulnerable, and at times believably unreliable.  The writing is well done. And the plot unfolds
Eva
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Don’t Wake Up kicks off with the stuff of nightmares when Alex Taylor wakes up tied to an operating table. This isn’t your run-of-the-mill operation, nor is she being attended by a run-of-the-mill doctor. The person standing over her has far more sinister motives. He makes her a disturbing offer but when Alex wakes up, she’s unharmed and nobody believes her story.

If the first chapters don’t make you move to the edge of your seat, then there’s something wrong with you. It is downright
Kristy
Alex Taylor is excited to head off to a nice dinner with her boyfriend. But instead, she wakes up strapped to an operating table. She quickly realizes the man above her isn't a doctor, but he intends to do unspeakable things to her. However, when Alex wakes up, she appears unharmed. She's back in the parking lot of the hospital where she works. Even worse, no one believes her when she shares her story. Not her boyfriend, not her friends, and not her medical colleagues. Alex becomes haunted by wh ...more
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Saw this one on Netgalley and I thought it would be an interesting break from the norm in terms of it being a medical thriller on top of everything else. That being said, I still didn’t know what to expect with this book.

Don’t Wake Up is a very fast-paced book with plenty of action. Set in a hospital environment, it follows Dr. Alex Taylor in the aftermath of a horrifying incident that has happened to her. When those around her think she’s lying, and things start happening, she finds
BIBLIOMANIAC MJ
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Dark and intense, engaging and unpredictable!

Dr Alex Taylor finds herself in a horrific, true life nightmare, when she wakes up to find herself naked and strapped up on a operating table and has no idea how she got there. A masked surgeon with ominous intentions is threatening to do terrifying things to her unless she answers this one simple question correctly..." What does 'no' mean?"

When she wakes up again in the ward of the hospital in which she works, after being foun
Hans
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The start was very good. I was really impressed with the original idea. After that it became a lot slower. It went around in circles a bit. At the end speed picked up again. The writer is a former nurse who knows what she's writing about.
Selene

Genre: Mystery & Thriller
Setting: Bath, England
POVs: (view spoiler)
Triggers: Yes. (view spoiler)

Alex Taylor is a highly skilled physician with a great career and a fiancé who matches her equally in education and status. Her life seems fairly comfortable until the moment when she's kidnapped and strapped to a table in a somewhat familiar environment. She endures the/>/>/>/>
Sara M. Abudahab
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Holly B
Shelves: netgalley
Dr. Alex Taylor wakes up one day strapped on an operating table, she realizes that she is naked and that she was anesthetized, she can only see her surgeon's eyes since he has a surgical mask on, she asks him if she had been in an accident and he declines, then the surgeon asks her "what would a "No" mean?" and lets her struggle to answer then Alex dozes off.

After that she was found unconscious on the street, the doctors examined her and she has no signs of a recent surgery not even
Morgan
What a premise for a thriller! Waking up to discover you're incapacitated, naked and prepped for an unknown surgery, with a doctor/killer about to cut you open--then waking again fully intact with no one believing what had happened. It's still quite the premise, but one that isn't fully explored and exploited in this particular novel.
I believe one of the hooks is that with no evidence to support the kidnapping/surgery, the reader along with supporting characters is also supposed to be wond
Lori
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best or worst thrilled I’ve read. I was annoyed throughout at how so many crazy things kept happening to this poor woman and no one would believe her version of what happened. Not colleagues, the police or her boyfriend. I found it unbelievable that no attention would be placed on anyone other than her. Some obvious things were overlooked & if I noticed them I am pretty sure a seasoned detective could see them. It was somewhat suspenceful and did Keep me turning the pages. 3.5.
Jan
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense
Man did this book annoy me.

Highly successful Dr gets attacked one night but no one believes her. She completely unravels, starts making poor decisions and of course drinking. Her relationship falls apart and her close friends start to think she’s going crazy. When others close around her start to die, she immediately becomes suspect #1 by a detective with a chip on her shoulder.

Why is it that some authors expect us to believe that this is how women behave when things get tough?

Such
Figgy
LINK UPDATED

The blurb sounds interesting and enticing, curious even, but I warn you, dear reader, that it does not accurately represent the events within the novel.

Even the title doesn't really fit with the story.

There are so many things wrong with this book, rendering it one of the worst books I can remember reading. But it's getting lots of rave reviews, so what do I know?

The writing itself is horribly clunky and awkward, telling the reader what is going
Maureen
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
I really enjoyed this book by Liz Lawler, a debut author. Dr. Alex Taylor wakes up on an operating table in the hospital she works for, with a man standing over her who is not a doctor. She has no physical evidence and all of her colleagues don't believe she was assaulted. This book was fast-paced and kept me wanting to know what happened next.. I will definitely be looking out for her next book.
Tracy Fenton
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alex Taylor is a well respected doctor who is professional and totally dedicated to her profession. Waking up in the first chapter Alex finds herself tied down on an operating table about to undergo every women’s nightmare. Don’t Wake Up is utterly gripping and gallops along at a break neck speed ensuring the reader is both captivated and horrified at the same time.

Some of the scenes are extremely graphic and deeply uncomfortable to read and imagine and I did have to pause to take a
JULIE ☼
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2019-tbr-reads
Dr. Alex Taylor opens her eyes to find herself immobile on an operating table within her own hospital. She quickly discovers the person who appears before her does not have her best interests in mind. While she vividly recalls the events that took place in the hands of her abductor, the lack of physical evidence leaves her colleagues and those dear to her struggling to believe in her story. Were the events that took place that night real? Do the eerie occurrences that follow relate? As she tried ...more
Joanne Robertson
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am not a huge fan of the taglines used nowadays describing how books WILL make you feel! I feel it's a challenge and one I'm usually able to dispute very quickly! But here I have to totally agree with the tagline used alongside the title of Don't Wake Up as the first chapter is addictive, gripping and downright scary as hell! My pulse rate must have been through the roof and I nearly needed a doctor myself!

Several people had recommended this book to me saying it was a perfect examp
Debra
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Really torn between a 2.5 and a 3 star so rounding up to a 3 star rating.

The description of this book sounded so promising. Alex Taylor, a doctor, wakes up on an operating table. She has no idea how she got there or the identity of the surgeon. Is he even a surgeon? She is tied up and frightened. He makes her an offer. She makes a choice and then wakes up unharmed. To make matter worse, no one believes her. Seriously who would go through the trouble of knocking someone out, strapping
Christine
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Don’t Wake Up plays into our primal fears. Imagine waking up, bound and at the mercy of evil. Disturbing does not even to start to describe the fear. Nightmarish.

The story itself is all about a successful doctor, working in an Accident and Emergency department at a Bristol hospital. Doctor Alex Taylor has it all. A nice vet boyfriend, a career she loves and a seemingly perfect life. One day she is found in the hospital grounds with a bump to her head. Alex reports that she was held c
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 18 Feb 20, 2019 10:41AM
Kindle English My...: Don't Wake Up by Liz Lawler 1 23 Jul 04, 2017 12:48AM

• The Mayfly (Charlie Priest #1)
  • The Charter
  • The Shadowers (Matt Helm, #7)
  • Keep Her Silent
  • Build My Gallows High
  • The Rest of Me
  • The House We Called Home
  • WRECKING CREW: Demolishing The Case Against Steven Avery
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Little Darlings
  • Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)
  • Front Runner
  • The Stranger Inside
  • 29 Seconds
  • Five Ways To Kill A Man (Lorimer #7)
  • Mothers
  • Blue Hill Blood
  • Eyes of the Predator (The Hunters, #1)
Liz Lawler had a 20-year career as a nurse before becoming a general manager of a five star hotel. She found it an easy transition as she used the same greeting to both patient and hotel guest 'Good morning. did you sleep well?' she loves books and all things bookish!
“She felt tears suddenly gather in her eyes and laughed harshly. ‘I hate bloody hospitals.’ Her visitor stayed still and silent, bringing fresh fear to her overactive mind. ‘Sorry about the waterworks. I’m OK now. Look, just give me the facts. Life-threatening? Life-changing? I take it you know I work here, that I’m a doctor, so please don’t give me the diluted version. I’d rather know the truth.” 1 likes
“floor was concrete and the walls were painted white. It housed a small shower room, a place to” 0 likes