Start by marking “Trial by Fire” as Want to Read:
Trial by Fire

Trial by Fire

All Elena wants to do in join the Hollywood Heroes, meet her compatriots, and slowly get into the swing of saving the world. What she gets instead is Consequence, who took out a full-page ad in the LA Times threatening to bring about an apocalypse.

Between villainous masterminds, her fellow heroes, and her attraction to group leader Lacy, Elena is going to have to learn fas
Published May 31st 2017 by Less Than Three Press (first published May 29th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Trial by Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial by Fire

Atlas
Jun 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Nothing captures the human imagination more than apocalypse, the end of times

1 / 5

I hadn't realised that this was a novella when I downloaded it, otherwise I would have given Trial By Fire a miss. So part of my dislike of this book was it's not you, it's me. Everything felt rushed: the explanations, the romance, the character building, the antagonist. I didn't feel like most of it made much sense and the book had a confused tone: the writing and plot were suitable for a children's novel, but
☙ percy ❧
((2.5 stars))

this was nearly 2 stars but i decided to round up because i liked the way relationships were handled, especially the sexual aspect; there was a very healthy and frank discussion about their preferences, which is (sadly) quite rare in books so i really appreciated that!

unfortunately i felt that the plot itself was pretty trite and pedestrian. there was no real mystery or twists, and the idea of an alternate universe in which superheroes exist and are known to the public was interes
Anastasia シ
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full Review on NG
Ami
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-books, ff-romance

I requested Lore Graham's Trial By Fire from Netgalley for one reason. The fact that this book features lesbian relationship and a trans character. See, I promise myself that I will try to read more outside my MM-romance comfort zone with cisgender characters. So this sounds like a perfect option!

I thought the relationship between Elena and Lacy felt naturally progressed. While the time-span was actually pretty quick but somehow I could feel the chemistry between the two that it didn'
Lexxi Kitty
*I received this book from NetGalley, and Less Than Three in return for a fair review.*

‘And that’s enough for me to keep playing superhero.’ – Lacey, near end of story.

There’s several ways I can ‘read’ and ‘take’ the story. And yes, that has an impact on rating and enjoyment of the story. I chose to take the story, read it in a certain way that ended up causing the story to be an enjoyable enough read. Though I might not have liked it as well if I’d gone a different direction.

I chose to go the
Nikki
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, fantasy
Received to review via Netgalley; publication date 31st May 2017

This is a fun superhero novella which is supremely conscious of the need to include more diversity in fiction, and to be socially aware (e.g. of issues like people’s relationship with the police). The main character dates women, her love interest is trans, there are non-binary characters, etc, etc. It’s really refreshing that it didn’t really do a 101 on it, either; ‘here are the pronouns, the narrative is going to use them from her
Rachael Orman
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This was an... odd book for me. There were really two different things going on. The superhero stuff and the romance.

I'll start with the romance. I loved the sweetly build relationship we saw budding between Lacy and Elena. However there wasn't a whole lot of substance to either character in my mind, just two people who found something they weren't particularly looking for.

Then there is the superhero aspect. It was kind of a
Serenity
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f-favorites
A twentysomething Latina woman, Elena, moves to Los Angeles partly to break out of a rut, and partly to join a group of fellow queer superheroes, the Hollywood Heroes. There, she finds herself falling in love with a fellow superhero, Lacey, a Filipino trans woman and speedster, while working with the group as a whole to investigate and uncover a would-be supervillain who calls himself Consequence.

I often complain about the acute lack of representation of trans women in f/f fiction; there's April
Paige
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
* Book provided by NetGalley *

Trial by Fire begins with Elena’s interview to join the Hollywood Heroes, a superhero group living in LA, protecting the people from villains, such as Consequence. Elena takes the name Fuego and is thrown headfirst into a world of superheroes without training, but with a lot of support.
It’s a character driven story, which for the most part is great. Elena becomes absorbing; she’s an easy, likeable character, and her relationship with Lacey is compelling and consu
Louise
Trial by Fire is a superhero romance. Except it's really more of a romance (possibly edging on erotica, there are a couple of graphic sex scenes but I'm not sure where that line is) with a superhero subplot. That's not a bad thing, but it wasn't what I was expecting from the blurb.

The Romance Story - The romance between Elena and Lacy (who isn't the group leader, despite the blurb) is really the focus of this story. The have a cute relationship which builds up gradually as Lacy helps Elena desig
Gail
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I rec'd a copy from NetGalley/Less Than Three Press in exchange for a honest review. First time reading of this author. Elena and Lacey lead in this superhero action/romance. Not bad but for me a bit jumbled though a quick read. I liked the diversity as written and will definitely read more by Ms. Graham in the future. 3 stars.
Kristen
Jun 03, 2017
Roscoe
Jul 23, 2018
charlotte
rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2018
Lore Graham
Apr 25, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kim
Juniper
Dec 11, 2018
Barry Raifsnider
Mar 28, 2017
Less Than Three P...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Giveaway - Trial By Fire by Lore Graham - CLOSED 8 27 May 23, 2017 06:18AM
Lore Graham is a queer writer who lives in Massachusetts. Ze primarily writes sci fi and fantasy romance, but dabbles in poetry and nonfiction as well.

Lore is passionate about spectacular worlds and queer characters. Ze is transgender and agender; zir pronouns are ze/zir/zir or they/them/their. Outside of writing, ze enjoys cooking, reading, and spending time with zir cat.

Lore's poetry has been pu