Start by marking “Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well” as Want to Read:
Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well

Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well

Perfect for fans of The Little Book of Hygge and Norwegian Wood, find the balance in life that is just right for you. Let Lola A. Åkerström, Editor-in-chief of Slow Travel Stockholm , be your companion to all things lagom.

As the Swedish proverb goes, 'Lagom är bäst' (The right amount is best). Lagom sums up the Swedish psyche and is the reason why Sweden is one of the h
Published August 10th 2017 by Headline Home

To ask other readers questions about Lagom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lagom

Start your review of Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well
Kirsty ❤️
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve heard a lot about the Danish Hygge style of living so when I saw this I thought I’d see what the Swedes have to say about life. It’s not a bad little book. Lagom essentially means ‘moderation’ and having a healthy life balance. It applies to all elements of life. It’s also about realising that what my balance is may not be the same as yours. There’s a good example in the book about Goldilocks and how despite not liking Papa Bears porridge that food may actually be just right for Papa.

It’s l
Kirsty
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have a real love of Scandinavia, which is why I attempted to read Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well, but for me, it fell short. I was expecting something akin to the wonderful lifestyle books published about the Danish hygge, but that is not what I got at all. A lot of what Akerstrom writes is highly obvious, and can even be construed as patronising at times. It feels as though she is addressing the reader as though they are an incredibly petulant child, and she is an adult with vast re ...more
Candice Walsh
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I kept this book by my bedside and read a chapter here and there before bed; it was a lovely insight into Swedish culture. I love how Akerstrom really delves in deep -- I get the impression that assimilating into Swedish society isn't the easiest thing to do (I felt the same while in Germany), but I'm so impressed by her journey. The images and illustrations were a gorgeous touch. ...more
Kristina
Not too much, not too little. Just right!

Strongly agree :)
Siffy Torkildson
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having Swedish ancestry and a grand-father who was from Sweden, I was intrigued by this book, but really it is for everyone. Just this summer, while visiting Sweden and my relatives for the first time, they mentioned ‘lagom’ is very important to Swedes. Lola reviews Lagom in various facets of Swedish culture from food (eating healthy and ethically) to fashion and interior design (simple and not standing out), quiet but to the point in speech, practicality in money matters, health/relaxation and ...more
Flyingbroom
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book in the ideal setting: a trip to Sweden. Besides gaining a better understanding of the Swedish culture, I was happy to realise I already incorporate most of these principles in my own life. Now I have even more motivation to do so!
Luminița Gabura
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It outlines Swedish attitude towards life in all its aspects, starting with relationships, house, careers and nature. It presents the assets that this thinking would bring in our life and also the challenges that one might encounter when settling in Sweden. It is presented in a funny way, sarcastic at time without being offensive or disrespectful towards the culture overall. Lately, there is a lot of talk and attention on the Nordic style of living and this book would land you a hand in helping ...more
Cristiana Lopes
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
For a person who doesn't know anything about Swedish people, it's very interesting and easy to read. ...more
Alex
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lola Åkerström, a Nigerian writer and photographer who previously lived in America and now lives in Sweden, describes lagom as ‘a way of living that promotes happiness and celebrates fairness, moderation and being satisfied with what you’ve got’. In this book, Åkerström often compares and contrasts lagom to the Law of Jante, a set of ten rules that appears in Aksel Sandemose’s novel ‘A Fugitive Crosses His Tracks’.
Polina
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
For me the subtitle for that book will look something like: "Could you imagine that there are countries where people refuse to constantly overtime, not trying to eat as much as they can, don't spend all their money on tons of useless shit, don't have annoying urge to constantly talk to other people and can just keep their mouth shut sometimes".

This book gives some interesting facts about Swedish life but it definitely not the book that can significantly change someones life. Looks like Swedish l
Katie Cat Books
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Succinct. Enlightening. Balance and contentment.

Adopting the trends of words from other countries, like hygge and sisu, Lagom is Sweden's choice word to represent the culture and country. In short, it means finding the valance and contentment in one's individual life of not too little, not too much.

This book is broken down into sections, showing how Lagom can be applied to themes such as food, work, money, etc. Photos of Sweden city and country fill the pages throughout the book, giving a dash o
Heidi Anderson
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was super interesting! I enjoyed learning about Swedish culture, especially because a lot of my family is Swedish. I was able to clearly see the differences between Sweden and the US, differences that I was completely unaware of before I read this book. I even was able to get down a few recipes that were noted to try out myself! I loved learning about their ways of living a sustainable life, and hope to implement some of these tips into my own life in the future.
Bel
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-and-food
Interesting read that promotes a lifestyle based on minimalism and enjoyment of life through simplicity and appreciation for the present. The philosophy is basically more along the lines of less is more and quality over quantity. Good concepts to incorporate into our life whatever your nationality or wherever you live! I also enjoy the nice photos that are so in line with the theme of the book.
Pamela MacNaughtan
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book on the art of Lagom from a local. I love Lola's writing style. An essential book for those wanting to have a more in-depth experience while travelling in Sweden. I'll definitely be re-reading this one before my own trip next year. ...more
Galinaread
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, like, the-best, 2018
It is really good book about swedish culture and their way of life. For those who interested in - will be great read. This book include some intereting quotes and facts. But i personally have already known approximately 75-80% of information about Sweden. But book was good anyway.
Heather
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A soothing read that feels like the literary equivalent of a nice cup of tea and little nosh.

It is so appropriate to the subject of this book that it reads so gently, like good advice from a dear and loving friend, we might not take all that advice but it's so nice someone cares enough to give it. We would all be well-advised to take the advice in this sweet little book. Turn down the lights, live with less, reduce stress, indulge in what is worthwhile and feeds your soul.
Bernardo
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn’t like the concept because is like ‘everything is relative’ or ‘everything depends on each person’. The concepts are really light so that’s why they only need ~2 pages. There are a lot of images which i think are useless. I would like the author to give more personal experiencies. I think the book could be resumed to a blog post.
Dami
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well is a solid book and a great read.

The book not only gives readers an insight into Swedish life and culture but the added bonus is that Lola Akinmade Åkerström is able to present both viewpoints through her lived experiences inside and outside Sweden. The author not only hypes the benefits of lagom, she also applies a critical eye towards it by highlighting its drawbacks – after all, everything in moderation, right?

The book is divided into thematic sections
Iria Cardoso
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-lone-books
To get to know other cultures, especially if it helps us get better, mainly in finding the balance between professionally/socially and private life is something that I always look for. And if there is something that I take from this book is: we should live to work and not work to live. This book shows that we can improve this idea, if governments and businesses focused more on the human component of life.
Leyla Alyanak
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, especially as I was completely unfamiliar with the concept of Lagom. Made me stop and think about how I live my own life and the excesses which we allow ourselves. I loved the idea of keeping only things I need or am emotionally attached to.
Leslie Conner
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked reading this book, I have Swedish ancestors and I was somewhat surprised of attitudes she wrote of were ingrained in my upbringing. It was an interesting connection and affirmation. My take away thought is ‘What we have now is enough to make us happy, successful and connected within our communities.’ Swedes don’t need or want excess. Good thoughts in this day of extra size helpings, multiple choices, excessive buying.
Iva
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: curious people who like to learn about other cultures
Recommended to Iva by: iva
Shelves: own
Very interesting, nicely explained the Swedish society, customs, mentality and way of life. The book is adorned with beautiful photos and quotes. I made me want to visit Sweden and experience the beauty it also taught me new Lagom thing I certainly will implement in my own life. Longer review soon on the blog! :)
Ângela Maresch
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Lagom is an overarching way of seeing, doing and existing."

"Live Laugh Lagom" is not only a book about Lagom, but especially about Swedish people and their culture.
Lagom is a word in Swedish, that can be used either as an adverb or as an adjective, meaning "not too much, not too little - just right". This, in fact, is the mentality in Sweden, in regards to talking, eating, spending money, balancing work and family life... To better embrace this principle, Swedish natives are taught to satisfy
Exlibris Library
Jul 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was a real surprise. We were expecting it to be the Swedish version of hygge: pleasant, comforting, and light.
Lagom by Lola Akinmade Åkerström, on the contrary, is a great, deep insight into Swedish mentality. It will take you through all the main aspects of life: socializing, working, family, finances, environment, etc. You will be able to look at these aspects from the Swedish logical, no-nonsense point of view.
Very informative, well-structured, this book will provide you with many
Lei
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
It is a great read, especially if you have been unhappy or want to reconsider your way of living. I feel like Lagom is all intertwined with minimalism. It’s all about being just the right amount.
Cris Valma
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Food for thoughts!
Interesting, easy to read but profound, it gives a great and not judgmental overview in Lagom in different aspects of life.
Definitely recommended!

Alaine
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An easy read and comprehensive book to explain the concept of lagom for non-Swedes
Beautiful Minimal Millennial
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on balance in work, environment, family, friends, and life! Lola did a great job explaining the Swedish art of Lagom. After reading the book, I felt myself thinking is this just right, not too much or too little. Completly enjoyable read.

The book was written in a similar style as The Little Book of Hygge and The Little Book of Lykke both by Meik Wiking.
jei
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
a great book but not a favorite, in fact i bought this book because i mistakenly thought this was about the hygge lifestyle by danish people.. but this is a great book about moderation and i really like the meaning behind lagom: not too little, not too much, just right.
Rebecca
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting book.

It tells of the concept of “lagom,” which has to do with “just enough,” moderation, personal space, kindness, hospitality, simplicity and comfort in clothing and home design, prudent reuse, and many more aspects of living.

It’s written very clearly and is beautifully illustrated with photographs by the author, who happens to be a dear friend.

I do have to comment on the downside to the concept of lagom. So much of this concept is about making simple choices from high-quali
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well
  • Teach Like Finland: 33 Simple Strategies for Joyful Classrooms
  • The Little Book of Lykke: The Danish Search for the World's Happiest People
  • Happiness is Homemade
  • The Nordic Guide to Living 10 Years Longer: 10 Easy Tips For a Happier, Healthier Life
  • The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments
  • Номер 1. Как стать лучшим в том что ты делаешь
  • The Little Book of Fika: The Uplifting Daily Ritual of the Swedish Coffee Break
  • 나는 나로 살기로 했다 (겨울 스페셜 에디션)
  • I Want to Die But I Want to Eat Tteokpokki
  • Місто
  • De ijsmakers
  • Filosofi Teras
  • Обитаемый остров
  • Джедайские техники: Как воспитать свою обезьяну, опустошить инбокс и сберечь мыслетопливо
  • Good Childhood Memories
  • Мочи Манту
Award-winning Nigerian-American visual storyteller and international bestselling author based in Stockholm, Sweden.

News & Interviews