Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well” as Want to Read:
Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  520 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Perfect for fans of The Little Book of Hygge and Norwegian Wood, find the balance in life that is just right for you. Let Lola A. Åkerström, Editor-in-chief of Slow Travel Stockholm , be your companion to all things lagom.

As the Swedish proverb goes, 'Lagom är bäst' (The right amount is best). Lagom sums up the Swedish psyche and is the reason why Sweden is one of the hap
...more
Hardcover, 192 pages
Published August 10th 2017 by Headline Home
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Lagom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lagom

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
3.53  · 
Rating details
 ·  520 ratings  ·  71 reviews


Filter
 | 
Sort order
Kirsty ❤️
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve heard a lot about the Danish Hygge style of living so when I saw this I thought I’d see what the Swedes have to say about life. It’s not a bad little book. Lagom essentially means ‘moderation’ and having a healthy life balance. It applies to all elements of life. It’s also about realising that what my balance is may not be the same as yours. There’s a good example in the book about Goldilocks and how despite not liking Papa Bears porridge that food may actually be just right for Papa.

It’s l
...more
tooliepanna
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scandinavia
Ocena nie dotyczy samego zjawiska, ale już czytając o hygge miałam wrażenie, że dorabia się olbrzymi ideologie do tego zjawiska tak, by wcisnąć to na 120+ stron i wydać jako książkę ze zdjęciami rodem z insta ;-) przy hygge, o którym czytałam w okresie świąt kupiłam to, mając wrażenie, że można to było streścić w artykule. W przypadku lagoom... to już za duże dorabianie całej ideologii... jeżeli lagoom jest kanapka z serkiem i szynką i zycie w umiarze, bo... uwaga uwaga, lagoom znaczy "umiarkowa ...more
Kirsty
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have a real love of Scandinavia, which is why I attempted to read Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well, but for me, it fell short. I was expecting something akin to the wonderful lifestyle books published about the Danish hygge, but that is not what I got at all. A lot of what Akerstrom writes is highly obvious, and can even be construed as patronising at times. It feels as though she is addressing the reader as though they are an incredibly petulant child, and she is an adult with vast re ...more
Candice Walsh
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I kept this book by my bedside and read a chapter here and there before bed; it was a lovely insight into Swedish culture. I love how Akerstrom really delves in deep -- I get the impression that assimilating into Swedish society isn't the easiest thing to do (I felt the same while in Germany), but I'm so impressed by her journey. The images and illustrations were a gorgeous touch.
Kristina
Not too much, not too little. Just right!

Strongly agree :)
Siffy Torkildson
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having Swedish ancestry and a grand-father who was from Sweden, I was intrigued by this book, but really it is for everyone. Just this summer, while visiting Sweden and my relatives for the first time, they mentioned ‘lagom’ is very important to Swedes. Lola reviews Lagom in various facets of Swedish culture from food (eating healthy and ethically) to fashion and interior design (simple and not standing out), quiet but to the point in speech, practicality in money matters, health/relaxation and ...more
Andreea Chiuaru
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dacă danezii ne învață cum să apreciem mai mult micile bucurii cotidiene și cum să ne bucurăm de momente hygge, suedezii ne servesc o bună porție de cumpătare și echilibru prin intermediul lui „lagom”. Voi reveni cu impresii pe blog.
Анна Лисенко-Гурська
Лагом. Хочете знати що це? Це шведський виклик данському хугге.
Це #книга, що розкриває нам секрети швецького щастя і їхньої життєвої концепції. Якщо коротко, лагом - це помірність. Мінімалізм, якщо хочете. Я би охарактеризувала його нашою приказкою "що багато, то не здорово". Бо про це вся книга.

Автор розповідає нам, що таке лагом в роботі, в одязі, в їжі, в стосунках, в усіх сферах життя. Філософія "лагом" мені близька. Ба більше, багато пунктів в цієї #книги уже присутні в моєму житті. Але! кн
...more
Олена Осіпова
Книжка-обманка. Але про все по порядку.
По-перше, про що вона пише. Авторка, претензійно заявляючи, що розкриє нам, на секундочку, секрет цілої нації, сама ні разу не шведка. Так, вона живе в цьому суспільстві, так, вона зробила непогану дослідницьку роботу, але... Секрет вона, на мій погляд, не розкрила. Вона пише про якихось абстрактних, картонних людей, схожих один на одного, як ксерокопії одного фото, і те було взяте з паспорту. Це не нація, це уявлення авторки про націю.
По-друге, як вона пи
...more
Hilde
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fictie
Lagom, de zweedse manier van leven. Met als kernwoord de juiste balans. Niet te veel, noch te weinig, juist voldoende. In harmonie met onszelf, met onze woon- en leefomgeving en met anderen. Er valt wat van te leren. Teveel om hier op te sommen. En daarom: een uitgebreide recensie op de blog: https://regenboogbui.wordpress.com/20...
Natalia
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Непогана книжка як подарунок, мило оформлена, приємно потримати в руках. Зміст на трієчку - як то зазвичай буває з такими книжками, після десятої сторінки все починає повторюватися.
Cris Lopes
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
For a person who doesn't know anything about Swedish people, it's very interesting and easy to read.
Birgit
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scandinaviërs staan erom bekend één van de gelukkigste landen ter wereld te zijn, maar hoe komt dit? De Denen hebben hygge en de Zweden hebben lagom en over dat laatste las ik een boek van Lola A. Akerström, waarin ze het begrip lagom uitlegt op verschillende niveaus en hoe het komt dat dit de Zweden gelukkig maakt.

Lagom betekent letterlijk gepast, de juiste hoeveelheid, precies goed,… Het draagt een zeker idee van gepastheid met zich mee. Als je het verder doortrekt, betekent het de meest harmo
...more
Polina
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
For me the subtitle for that book will look something like: "Could you imagine that there are countries where people refuse to constantly overtime, not trying to eat as much as they can, don't spend all their money on tons of useless shit, don't have annoying urge to constantly talk to other people and can just keep their mouth shut sometimes".

This book gives some interesting facts about Swedish life but it definitely not the book that can significantly change someones life. Looks like Swedish l
...more
Alex
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lola Åkerström, a Nigerian writer and photographer who previously lived in America and now lives in Sweden, describes lagom as ‘a way of living that promotes happiness and celebrates fairness, moderation and being satisfied with what you’ve got’. In this book, Åkerström often compares and contrasts lagom to the Law of Jante, a set of ten rules that appears in Aksel Sandemose’s novel ‘A Fugitive Crosses His Tracks’.
Katie Cat Books
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Succinct. Enlightening. Balance and contentment.

Adopting the trends of words from other countries, like hygge and sisu, Lagom is Sweden's choice word to represent the culture and country. In short, it means finding the valance and contentment in one's individual life of not too little, not too much.

This book is broken down into sections, showing how Lagom can be applied to themes such as food, work, money, etc. Photos of Sweden city and country fill the pages throughout the book, giving a dash o
...more
Belinda
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting read that promotes a lifestyle based on minimalism and enjoyment of life through simplicity and appreciation for the present. The philosophy is basically more along the lines of less is more and quality over quantity. Good concepts to incorporate into our life whatever your nationality or wherever you live! I also enjoy the nice photos that are so in line with the theme of the book.
Flyingbroom
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book in the ideal setting: a trip to Sweden. Besides gaining a better understanding of the Swedish culture, I was happy to realise I already incorporate most of these principles in my own life. Now I have even more motivation to do so!
Pamela Macnaughtan
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book on the art of Lagom from a local. I love Lola's writing style. An essential book for those wanting to have a more in-depth experience while travelling in Sweden. I'll definitely be re-reading this one before my own trip next year.
Galinaread
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, like, favorites, the-best
It is really good book about swedish culture and their way of life. For those who interested in - will be great read. This book include some intereting quotes and facts. But i personally have already known approximately 75-80% of information about Sweden. But book was good anyway.
Heather
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A soothing read that feels like the literary equivalent of a nice cup of tea and little nosh.

It is so appropriate to the subject of this book that it reads so gently, like good advice from a dear and loving friend, we might not take all that advice but it's so nice someone cares enough to give it. We would all be well-advised to take the advice in this sweet little book. Turn down the lights, live with less, reduce stress, indulge in what is worthwhile and feeds your soul.
Bernardo
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn’t like the concept because is like ‘everything is relative’ or ‘everything depends on each person’. The concepts are really light so that’s why they only need ~2 pages. There are a lot of images which i think are useless. I would like the author to give more personal experiencies. I think the book could be resumed to a blog post.
Lena Pavlova
ідея цікава, але написано нуднувато, багато банальностей,
та й українською відредагована не дуже
гарні фотографії та дизайн
про хюґе сподобалося більше, бо там у автора було почуття гумору
Dami
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well is a solid book and a great read.

The book not only gives readers an insight into Swedish life and culture but the added bonus is that Lola Akinmade Åkerström is able to present both viewpoints through her lived experiences inside and outside Sweden. The author not only hypes the benefits of lagom, she also applies a critical eye towards it by highlighting its drawbacks – after all, everything in moderation, right?

The book is divided into thematic sections
...more
Leyla Alyanak
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, especially as I was completely unfamiliar with the concept of Lagom. Made me stop and think about how I live my own life and the excesses which we allow ourselves. I loved the idea of keeping only things I need or am emotionally attached to.
Lala Məmmədova
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Kitab "əgər uzun müddət özünüzü bədbəxt hiss edirsinizsə, xoşbəxt olmağın vaxtı gəlməyibmi?" fikiri ilə bitir. Kitab qədərində idi, elə bundan da bəhs edirdi. İdeal harmoniyadan, nə az nə çox. Hər şey yerində idi. Yeni mədəniyyətlə tanışlıq isə ayrıca zövq verdi. Tam #birnəfəsə sayılan deyil, yarımçıq qoyub dəfələrlə qayıtmışam. Bu soyuq, sakit günlər üçün yaxşı seçim olar.
Iva
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: curious people who like to learn about other cultures
Recommended to Iva by: iva
Shelves: own
Very interesting, nicely explained the Swedish society, customs, mentality and way of life. The book is adorned with beautiful photos and quotes. I made me want to visit Sweden and experience the beauty it also taught me new Lagom thing I certainly will implement in my own life. Longer review soon on the blog! :)
Cris Valma
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Food for thoughts!
Interesting, easy to read but profound, it gives a great and not judgmental overview in Lagom in different aspects of life.
Definitely recommended!

Markus Jäger
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein schönes Thema, klug, aber visuell ein wenig überfrachtet präsentiert. Man möchte dennoch gleich nach Schweden reisen.
Rebecca
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting book.

It tells of the concept of “lagom,” which has to do with “just enough,” moderation, personal space, kindness, hospitality, simplicity and comfort in clothing and home design, prudent reuse, and many more aspects of living.

It’s written very clearly and is beautifully illustrated with photographs by the author, who happens to be a dear friend.

I do have to comment on the downside to the concept of lagom. So much of this concept is about making simple choices from high-quali
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Live Lagom: Balanced Living, the Swedish Way
  • How to Get to Rio
  • North: How to Live Scandinavian
  • The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers
  • Sisu
  • Rocks in the Belly
  • Copyediting and Proofreading for Dummies
  • Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image Manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures
  • How a Mother Weaned Her Girl from Fairy Tales: and Other Stories
  • How to Pack: Travel Smart for Any Trip
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • The Town That Drowned
  • Makeup: The Ultimate Guide
  • Bad Choices
  • Creepy and Maud
  • Around the World in 80 Dates
  • Storyland