Start by marking “Trans Mission: My Quest to a Beard” as Want to Read:
Trans Mission: My Quest to a Beard

Trans Mission: My Quest to a Beard

Being a teenager is difficult enough, but having to go through puberty whilst realising you're in the wrong body means dealing with a whole new set of problems: bullying, self-doubt and in some cases facing a physical and medical transition.

Alex is an ordinary teenager: he likes pugs, donuts, retro video games and he sleeps with his socks on. He's also transgender, and was
Published November 2nd 2017 by Wren & Rook

To ask other readers questions about Trans Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trans Mission

Start your review of Trans Mission: My Quest to a Beard
Trevor
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
A very "trans 101" read, not a bad thing in itself but I was expecting a bit more. Honestly, a lot of this info you can find on Alex's/other FtM's YT channels, so I was hoping that this book would dive past the surface. I guess I was just disappointed Alex chose not to speak so much about his own life, rather give general advice that I could get from anywhere else. (Yes, he talks a bit about the hormone process in UK, etc. but it's distant & brief.) It's a very quick read, but I kept putting it ...more
Cadiva
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a brutally honest and at times painfully introspective examination of the process of transitioning FtM from young British YouTuber Alex Bertie.

For Alex, living in the UK, the journey has been a long process from the gradual realisation that he felt different and wrong in his skin and assigned at birth gender, to the struggle to get into the NHS system to start his transition.

But he also acknowledges that its been an easier process than it would be elsewhere in the world and it's this wi
Jamie  Cayley
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, trans, arcs, ok
It's been a while since I read this book and I've been meaning to review it but sadly I've been really busy and have fallen behind with both reviews and blogging. As a trans guy who's followed Alex Bertie ever since I moved to the UK almost 2 years ago, I was really excited about being able to read his book and jumped at the chance to the second I saw it on Netgalley. Sadly, I was disappointed. While Alex is great on video the book felt poorly written and awkwardly flowing, had it been an audiob ...more
Andrew
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, lgbtq
While I personally didn't gain much from this book, this is a *MUST HAVE* for any school and library, this should be available to teens and adults everywhere. Trans Mission is a combination of Alex Bertie's personal journey transitioning to male, what that means, and explaining the steps one takes to transition in a way that is direct and makes sense to readers who may not understand. Transitioning takes both an emotional and physical toll, sometimes reshaping relationships for better or worse. ...more
BooksAndRae
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finally had time to sit down and finish reading this book which I was already so excited to read when I found it in the bookstore.

Before reading this book,I had no clue who Alex was or that he was on YouTube, but being a massive supporter of the lgbt+ community and having friends/being apart of it myself, I always find myself drawn to reading about/ wanting to read about and learn other peoples stories and genuinely just being more educated on everything.

It’s definitely a book I’d recommend to e
Simon
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, non-fiction
It's a bit Trans: 101, but it might actually be great for people who want to learn more about the basics! I guess I'd just been expecting something a bit more advanced from a youtuber who's pretty much dedicated his life to the subject. Even so, it's a good introduction for people unfamiliar with the topic!
Adele
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It has really helped me reading it, and I feel that everyone should read it regardless of gender or gender identity.
sassafrass
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I always feel weird reviewing autobiographies - how on earth are you meant to apply stars to someone's life? I settled on the score I have because whilst this is a lovely resource for young trans men (particularly in the UK as it deals with navigating the NHS) there are a lot of, hm. Broad statements about other letters in the ol LGBT acronym that were deeply uncomfortable to say the least.

Alex himself admits he isn't speaking as The Voice on LGBT issues, and of course sexuality and gender are a
Barbara Band
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alex Bertie was born female, came out when he went to college and has recently started his female to male transition. He has documented this on his popular YouTube channel sharing his journey, treatment and surgery. However, this book starts with his childhood years and continues with his story through the tweens, teens and into young adulthood.

It is a first-hand account of the passage of a young transgender man, told openly and honestly in a comfortable, relaxed style and with an authentic voic
Dean_o
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been following Alex on his YouTube channel for years now. Even before he came out as trans and I was still questioning.
I don't know where I would be today without his videos and those of other trans YouTubers. Visibility is immensely important so I'm beyond grateful that he's still doing his thing and even got to write his own book!

Most of the things described in this book I already new about but that didn't matter.
It felt really empowering to just hold the book in my hands and actually rea
Indigo
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alex has been one of my favourite youtubers for a long time, due to the fact that i relate to him so much. Ever since i heard about this book I've been super excited. And it definitely didn't disappoint! I honestly enjoyed this book so much, it was not only well written and formatted but also educational.
I recently came out to my parents as FTM and the process of trying to help them understand has been excruciating. Especially since their way of coping is by completely ignoring the whole topic.
Ed
5 stars because this book is important!

Alex Bertie is a well-known trans YouTuber. I've been following his videos for a few months and have found them to be a great resource. Currently there seems to be a wave of anti-trans propaganda in the British media which is misleading and fallacious at best, downright dangerous at worst. That's why I think this book is so important. It's accessible, written in clear and simple language, and doesn't presuppose any prior knowledge. I think it's going to be
Alida Hanson
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
A memoir filled with information about “transliness.” It’s super easy to read, not many words on the page and tons of info. The difference between UK and US medical system is shocking. So much better in the UK.

Anyway who is this book for? Bertie has a YouTube channel so many transgender teens may have already found him there. I don’t know how different this book is from his channel. There’s a lot of info for allies and family members, but he is speaking directly to transgender teens, and I kind
Micha Meinderts
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
In essence it felt like this book wanted to be too much at the same time: educating cis people, helping trans kids help themselves, telling a life's story, promoting Youtube and more. It read like transcripts of your average Youtube transition videos. Basically I just felt old.

But it was clear, well-structured and definitely useful for both trans kids looking for help and people who just want to know more.
Peter
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent excellent informative read that everyone should read whether you are transgender or know someone who is transgender. I can tell you that as a cisgender person, I found all the information that Alex wrote extremely valuable. And as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community, I know first hand that acceptance is one of the best things to give us and one way to do that is to stay informed and be respectful.
Jo-ann Meserve coles
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read, helped me to understand some things that my trans son is feeling but can't articulate very well. I recommend this book to anyone with a trans child, or who knows someone who is trans and transitioning. Lots of good info.
Raz
This book was very Trans 101. I think it will be very good for people who are not as familiar with being trans/who are questioning or parents/loved ones of trans people but as someone who is trans, I felt like I didn't learn anything new personally.
Jaclyn Hillis
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-audiobooks
Very informative.
Christine Burns
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! This is an ideal book for young trans people, their parents or anyone interested in understanding the complexity of gender transition. It’s an honestly written account of one person’s journey, packed with sound advice for others.

Five stars!
Sam
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I felt like a proud older sister reading this book as I've "followed" Alex on his YouTube channel since nearly the beginning (before he was Alex). I'm so pleased he wrote this book, it gives a honest and a fairly emotionally raw account of what his life is like. I really enjoyed this autobiography . Well done Mr Bertie. Now I'll go finish watching one of his videos. :)
A
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS!!! Especially those who are trans, have trans friends or family members! It's so enlightening and upbeat and very interesting. While I know Alex doesn't speak for all trans people, this was actually a very useful source of info for me (a trans man) and I could feel some of my own emotions and thoughts in these pages.

Overall such a good read, I'm so Proud of Alex for what he's managed to create.
NormaCenva
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-orders
So excited for this, I want to read it already!
October 2017 Update: really sad that the audiobook version is no longer available, but I still bought both Kindle and Paperback versions.

Very happy to be able to read this, it was so good! Especially great that it is accessible to younger readers 14+, very useful indeed.
tasha
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, trans-rep
Very Trans 101 so I only skimmed it. For people unfamiliar with trans content and information about transition it would probably be really helpful. I found it a bit boring tbh
Siobhan
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trans Mission is a lively memoir about being a young trans man that can be read by younger and older readers. Alex Bertie is a Youtuber who has made videos about LGBT+ topics as they affect him and others, and in this book he tells his own story of working out his identity and starting the transitioning process for him. He writes in a simple, engaging style that does not presume familiarity with the terminology he uses and that describes personal emotion in a realistic way to the extent he is cl ...more
L ✨
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqiap
Some weeks ago I talked about ressources for top surgery with one of my trans friend. At some point he talked about this book and I told him that I would like to read it.

Trans Mission: My Quest to a Beard is a great nonfiction book. I liked that it was a mix between Alex's experience and informations. Because like Alex says he has experienced everything.

It must have been hard to write a book about his experiences as a pansexual trans guy and at the same time writing a book that can educate peo
Morgan
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book, and as a trans man, I'm going to recommend it to my mother to see if that helps her understand a little bit more. (She is very supportive and understanding, but also isn't inherently educated with everything "trans-ly.") Reading through it and his journey also helped me get my thoughts in order a little bit more to have a longer, more open conversation with my mom about being trans than I had before.

There are a few quick notes I'd like to make here though. These aren't
Grace💜
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Alex Bertie, for writing Trans Mission!
As someone who’s recently been dealing with this situation on a personal level, with my boyfriend (also named Alex), I’m very excited to see that a book like this exists.
I came across your novel at my local library and almost immediately picked it up and started reading it. I’ve been trying my best ever since my boyfriend came out as being FtM transgender (just like you) to properly educate and inform myself as well as others, so that I might hav
curiousrei
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
If what you are looking for is a relatable, insightful and honest insight into life as a transgender man, Alex Bertie’s Trans Mission is exactly the place to start. All too often when looking at trans media in the past I have found they’re not made with a trans audience in mind. Instead there is a painful tendency for cisgendered creators to sensationalise or alienate the transgender stories they are telling. Not once did Trans Mission give me that feeling, instead it is Alex’s truth: a raw trut ...more
Akoss
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
@Kidlitexchange #partner - I received a copy of this book from the Kidlitexchange network in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Releasing 5/19/19

This is the account of YouTube personality Alex Bertie's life as a transgender teen from his journey to understanding himself to taking definite steps toward living a full life in the body that's right for him.

Alex takes the reader by the hand and walks them through everything from explaining how he struggled and still does at times
Rebecca Freitag
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-library
I honestly think that everyone should read this. I think that a lot of people allow their misunderstanding of others to allow for discrimination. Instead of trying to understand something they don't know, they shut it away in their minds as something to hate. Alex, I feel, has made something that is not only non confrontational, but also very informative. Even as someone who feels they are very accepting, I have a hard time understanding trans people. It's difficult for a lot of people to be ope ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Before I Had the Words: On Being a Transgender Young Adult
  • Sorted: Growing Up, Coming Out, and Finding My Place (A Transgender Memoir)
  • Some Assembly Required: The Not-So-Secret Life of a Transgender Teen
  • Parrotfish
  • Proud
  • Rick
  • The Black Flamingo
  • I am J
  • Birthday
  • Fever Year: The Killer Flu of 1918
  • Will You Still Love Me If I Wet the Bed?
  • Gender Queer