Start by marking “Wizard by Trade (The Dresden Files Omnibus, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wizard by Trade (The Dresden Files Omnibus, #2)

Wizard by Trade

(The Dresden Files Omnibus #2)

Fantasy: For Harry Dresden, the only wizard listed in the Chicago phone book, when it rains, it pours. In fact, it pours toads, always a sign something bad is about to happen, But Harry takes such omens in stride, given that his rattletrap VW Bug needs constant upkeep, and his 30 pound guard cat wants regular meals.
Published March 2006 by NAL Signet (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard by Trade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard by Trade

Start your review of Wizard by Trade (The Dresden Files Omnibus, #2)
Gabriel
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
(2012 re-read)

Set-up novels.

That's what these are.

Set-up more characters (the Fae are fully introduced with the courts in Summer Knight and the Denarians are introduced in Death Masks), set-up more White Council intrigue (mainly in Summer Knight, but a little in Death Masks), set-up through lots of causes that have effects in later books. Basically, that's what these two are.

Not that they aren't enjoyable on their own. I slammed through Summer Knight; I really enjoy the politics involved there a
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As I mentioned, this is how I read the Dresden books...the first time. I've read them many times since and these remain on my shelf. I bought the (first) four omnibus editions from Science Fiction Book Club and read them back to back. If you have (as mentioned in my review of the first omnibus edition) read my individual reviews, you know I really like these books.

This volume contains Summer Knight and Death Masks. The books are getting longer a bit and we have only 2 in this omnibus.

In Summer
Liz
Apr 07, 2009 added it
[I haven't actually read this book (though I did read the two it's a compendium of), but Goodreads accidentally added it instead of the one I meant to click, and there oddly appears to be no way to remove a book once you've added it.:]
Kat
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Books reviewed individually.
Monical
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is actually a collection of two older Harry Dresden books, "Summer Night" and "Death Masks." Summer Night is one of my favorite Harry Dresden books so that was an enjoyable read. After multiple reads of this book, I recognize that parts of the book are superfluous (boy, I sure got sick of the Susan character since I don't recall their passionate beginnings) but I liked the fae parts a lot. Death Masks, the other book, was less interesting to me. After multiple readings, this book is a ...more
Keri Sparks
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: written-reviewed
I actually only rated this book 4 stars because of Summer Knight. I LOVED that book. It was so mythical and amazing. The second one was still very good, but it didn't draw me in like Summer Knight did.
H.K.
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply amazing.
Michael Brown
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series-reading
rainy day at the library reading session.
Natty
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Always a fun read.
Lizz
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing and quick read, the detailing in the story and the plots were amazing. I highly recommend this book highly.
EA Solinas
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bad things are happening in the world of wizards, vampires and faeries -- and Harry Dresden is right in the thick of it.

And "Wizard By Trade (Summer Knight & Death Masks)" brings together two more gritty urban fantasies, from the point in the series when Butcher's series really took off. There are vampires, werewolves, faeries, demons, holy knights and a wisecracking wizard stuck in the middle of it all, as well as some strong plot arcs in the wizard world.

In "Summer Knight," the wizard council
Jimmy
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
SUMMER KNIGHT: 5 Stars - This book was fantastic! I absolutely loved this Dresden story! I'm not a fan of books with faerie, but this is really good. Dresden is put on trial for starting the war with the Red Court. He is ordered by Mab to find out who murdered the Summer Knight. He is having a real bad time with this because he is really messed up from Susan becoming a vampire and has been looking for a cure. Dresden's first love is back, too. He gets mixed up in all kinds of faerie politics, wi ...more
Sammm
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skimmed-through
I have to be completely honest, if I judge books by their covers, The Dresden Files wouldn't interest me at all lmao. The 4 Omnibus Volumes published by Science Fiction Book Club Fantasy, however, have book covers much more appealing imo. So yeah, if I were to physically own books from this series, this edition is the most ideal... So sad they didn't continue publishing the remaining series (as of now.)
Updates: My view changed lol. ATM I think the earlier UK paperbacks published by Orbit, upon
Kevin Lanahan
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, mystery
I picked this up because I hadn't read Death Masks yet and this was the only version my library had.

After spending several months not reading about Harry Dresden, this was a fun, fast-paced romp through the underbelly of Chicago. Dresden remains the serio-comic wizard detective, and the characters that have surrounded him return, with Michael and Marcone taking prominent turns.

The plot, involving the theft of the Shroud of Turin, is as improbable a plot line as ever, but a good reader puts tha
Jewels
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Every book I read in this series just gets better and better. I love how Butcher's writing develops and how the character of Dresden mirrors that in the stories. Both of the stories in the book kept me on edge, but 'Death Masks', especially, was filled with just the right amount of action/romance/death/sacrifice and all the other things that make a good adventure. I read it through in one sitting. If you haven't checked out the series yet, I highly recommend it.
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
After rereading Summer Knight and Death Masks again. I can see where our beloved hero is moving in a different way than the last time I read these books. Summer Knight showcases how Dresden's relationship with Karrin Murphy takes a drastic turn for the better and will continue to build in future novels. Death Masks shows us the ends in which Harry will go to for friendship and what is right for the greater good even if it involves shades of gray that other characters like Shiro cannot follow.
John
Jul 12, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: supernatural
I just finished the first book in this 2 book compilation. So far I am interested enough to start the second book and will give a more completer review at that time. Dang, I just realized that this is not the first books in the series...stupid me. I will go back to the other ones and try to catch up.
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The 4th and 5th books of the series, Wizard by Trade moves beyond the early stumbling and world building of the first few books and delivers a pair of solid stories of wizard Harry Dresden and his battle to do what is right in the face of adversity.
Kat  Hooper
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've reviewed these separately at FanLit: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fant... ...more
Julie
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Second time around, still loved them!
Nancy Laney
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
The Dresden Files Books 4-5
Karen
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read both books now. They were both pretty good.
Emilie
Dec 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I am on Chapter 3 of Book 4. I am re-reading it, because I know I missed something on the first round!
Justin Farquhar
Buster
Feb 16, 2009
Meeg
Feb 14, 2012

• Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #1)
  • When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, #1)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1)
  • Justice, Volume 1
  • The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Peter S. Beagle's Immortal Unicorn, Part 1 (Immortal Unicorn, Part 1)
  • The Seven-Percent Solution (Nicholas Meyer Holmes Pastiches #1)
  • Who Will Help Santa This Year?
  • Witch & Wizard (Witch & Wizard, #1)
  • Mr. Mehan’s Mildly Amusing Mythical Mammals
  • Nine-In-One, Grr! Grr!: A Folktale from the Hmong People of Laos
  • Christmas on the Island (Summer Seaside Kitchen #3)
  • Cyador's Heirs (The Saga of Recluce, #17)
  • Heritage of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce, #18)
  • The Poky Little Puppy
  • This Witch for Hire (The Hollows, #1-2)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • Park Avenue Summer
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files Omnibus (4 books)
  • Wizard for Hire (The Dresden Files Omnibus, #1)
  • Wizard at Large (The Dresden Files Omnibus, #3)
  • Wizard Under Fire (The Dresden Files Omnibus, #4)