Start by marking “Glitter and Gold: A Canary Club Anthology” as Want to Read:
Glitter and Gold: A Canary Club Anthology

Glitter and Gold: A Canary Club Anthology

(Canary Club #0.1-0.3)

Set during the flamboyant anything-goes era of 1920's America, these three tales are filled with intriguing characters and rich imagery from the time period—with flappers, jazz music, gangsters, and lavish wealth. Escape to a different decade today with the compelling stories of the Canary Club Anthology.

Novelette 1 - Gilded Cage
Masie, the flaxen-haired daughter of notorio
Published March 27th 2017

Start your review of Glitter and Gold: A Canary Club Anthology
Shelly N
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Worst proofread (?) book I’ve ever read

I just couldn’t get past the misspellings, wrong words and grammar. It was painful to read. I could ignore one or two, but this novella is rife with them. The author tells a story not great but readable. If I were her though, I’d fire the proofreader.
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Read my full review at http://blackwords-whitepages1977.blog...

I absolutely loved this Anthology. I really enjoyed being able to dive back into the first two stories, and falling in love with them all over again, in this collect, while enjoying the third book for the first time. This is a magical Anthology that took me back in time to a world that truly existed but through the mind of the author and her astounding imagination. It brought an era that I so wish I could have been a part of and Fick
Ronald Keeler
Sep 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Dutch Schultz is a name known to those who follow the culture and history of the United States during a particularly perverted social experiment known as Prohibition. This boxed set of three novels tells the story of Masie, the daughter of Dutch Schultz, as she matures from a family member school-aged daughter to becoming a confederate in an enterprise she despises. It is not the morality of illegal alcohol sales that bothers her, it is how the violent trade changed family members. Masie despise ...more
Constance Roberts
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This set of stories came as a huge surprise. I'm not big on the 20's and the prohibition era, but this was written by one of my favorite authors and she did not disappoint. I fell in love with each and every character. Even the side characters were so well fleshed out. It was easy to imagine each one as a real person. Of each story though, I think I like June's best. She was the most diverse and had the most to lose. I'm hooked and the main novel, Canary Club, just jumped up 20 spots on my tbr. ...more
Ksandra
3/5 Stars

An intetesting look into the flapper and prohibition side of history. Part of me wishes these stories focused more on that as opposed to love stories, but they were still cute.

I had to knock some stars off for some glaring editing errors in the novellas. For a published book it was quite jarring to see so many. Thankfully, they didn't mess with the integrity of the stories too much.
LoriEF
Sep 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, but the 3 stories were absolutely pointless to me. Each one abruptly stopped with only a vague tie to the next one. The description said that they could be read before or after another book, but I don’t see the point of reading them after as they seemed to only exist to introduce characters. If you read the other book, you already know the characters. I was completely frustrated and annoyed. I have no interest in trading the book they all seem to tie to. Sorry, but unless you’re planning ...more
Missy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. The subject matter—1920s, speakeasies, bootleggers—was fun, but the three “novellas” had no proper conclusion. They each stopped more or less mid-story with no resolution. The writing was ok, but not good, and there were so many typos (as mentioned by previous reviewers), it was distracting. Reading this does NOT make me want to read anything else by this author.
Bradley (AudioShelf)
I enjoyed this audiobook. I loved how the stories were short and we all connected somehow. The narrator was very good! She had distinct voices for each character, even throughout each story if that character comes back. A found her female voices a little scratchy, like she needs a cup of water, but I think it worked for the most part. Just had to get used to it.
Katerina  Ligounaki
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I will agree that the story was good, especially the last part. I liked that it was written with different POV and it all intertwined... the era is my favourite snc this book took me back to the roaring twenties! I will also agree about the typos, and I will add that the kindle version also has the whole second part with text out of margins, which made it really difficult to read.
Future Cat Lady
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the stories, but the typos were killing me. They put so much into the "extras" website but the kindle version was riddled with typos.

Looking forward to reading book 2. I liked the characters a lot and there were some fun twists that makes me excited to read the next one.
Karen
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Booklist Queen's Reading Challenge - Set in the 1920s

Color Coded Reading Challenge - A book with "Yellow" or any shade of Yellow in the title/on the cover

The Decades Reading Challenge: February - 1920s

A to Z Reading Challenge - A book that starts with the letter "G"
Monica
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sooooo many typos. You really need an editor. Yikes!
Cara
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely love this book. Read it all in one sitting. There are a few spelling mistakes but the stories themselves are very suspenseful and intriguing.
Maggie Rouse
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
The stories are rushed and the grammar and spelling can be downright terrible, but for some reason I didn't totally hate these. The first story is by far the best. ...more
Marilyn
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

this story is one of a series that is all about how the illegal achol and gangster families controlled clubs.
Adeline
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Overall: 4/5 stars

Writing: 4/5 stars

*Source* Kindle
*Genre* Young Adult / Historical Fiction
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

Glitter and Gold, by author Sherry Ficklin, is the prequel to the author's Canary Club series. This is an anthology with three separate stories. This series is set during the 1920's Prohibition where alcohol was supposedly banned from 1920 thru 1933 thanks to the Volstead Act, aka the 18th Amendment. Let's also not forget that it is set in NYC where things really were wild during the early 19th century.

*Full Review @ Gi
Nathalie Roth
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can read all about my thoughts by following this link: http://bit.ly/2Pa9Xct

Now, we can engage and share more easily!
Chava
Mar 13, 2019
Amanda
Feb 06, 2019
Jackie Sande
rated it did not like it
Sep 29, 2018
Aug 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• I'll Be Seeing You: A Memoir
  • Stories from Suffragette City
  • A Treasury of Classic Fairy Tales: Includes Pdf (The Land of Stories)
  • Paid in Sunsets: A Park Ranger's Story
  • A Christmas Dream: A sweet short story for Christmas
  • Fairytale on Fifth Avenue (short stories)
  • The Knitting Diaries: The Twenty-First Wish\Coming Unraveled\Return to Summer Island
  • Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker
  • A Sporting Chance: How Paralympics Founder Ludwig Guttmann Saved Lives with Sports
  • The Cookbook Club: A Novel of Food and Friendship
  • Queen of Hearts (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #8)
  • Naughty in Nice (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #5)
  • Heirs and Graces (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #7)
  • Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4)
  • Burden of Truth (Cass Leary Legal Thriller, #1)
  • Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3)
  • Two Kisses for Maddy: A Memoir of Loss and Love
  • The Secret of Seaside (Paige Comber Mystery Book 1)
Sherry is the author of over a dozen novels for teens and young adults including the best selling Stolen Empire series. She can often be found browsing her local bookstore with a large white hot chocolate in one hand and a towering stack of books in the other. That is, unless she's on deadline at which time she, like the Loch Ness monster, is only seen in blurry photographs.
Sherry also writes cont

Canary Club (1 books)
  • The Canary Club (Canary Club, #1)