Start by marking “Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)” as Want to Read:
Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)

Captain's Fury

(Codex Alera #4)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  52,101 ratings  ·  1,086 reviews
After two years of bitter conflict with the hordes of invading Canim, Tavi of Calderon, now Captain of the First Aleran Legion, realizes that a peril far greater than the Canim exists--the mysterious threat that drove the savage Canim to flee their homeland.

Now, Tavi must find a way to overcome the centuries-old animosities between Aleran and Cane if an alliance is to be
Published December 4th 2007 by Ace Books

Anne
My least favorite, so far.
I love to read about Tavi and his immediate circle of friends - Kitai, Max, Ehren, Crassus, Marcus. I love to read about what political hijinks Lord & Lady Aquitaine are up to, and what Lady Aria Placida, Issana & Araris are doing to try to help stop them. And I love to read about Fidelias and his struggle to play both sides against each other.
But Bernard and Amara are just as dull as dishwater.
I mean, I like them, but I tend to zone out a tad when reading abou
Evgeny
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This installment picks up right where the previous one left, so expect some minor spoilers that I will try to minimize. The rebellion of a High Lord still goes on; the invading force is still present in Alera. Tavi and other regulars of the series are still where they were left in the end of book 3. The High Lord of Alera decided that enough is enough and it is time to abandon the diplomacy and show people his raw power.

What is the problem with this? It left Tavi to deal with diplomacy and resu
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[4 stars] Academ’s Fury and Cursor’s Fury were two of the best fantasy books I’ve ever read – I loved the snot out of them. They took me on a whirlwind of a ride and so, by comparison, Captain’s Fury was a slower burn, more on par with the first book (although the events that happened within this one still rocked my world). It seemed more like a set up novel for the last couple books in the series and it did a great job generating some momentum. I can’t wait to finish this series – almost everyt ...more
Scott  Hitchcock
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: butcher
The series has definitely gotten better each book. I'm glad I stuck with it. The less whiny Tavi gets the better.
Kaitlin
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
To me, this book has been the most fun in the series so far, which is great! I read this as part of the #Rainbowthon and I found myself managing to get through this is just 2 days, very exciting.

This is set in a world where magic is the norm and everyone has at least one weak Fury (kind of a magic spirit). If you are very proficient with the Fury or Furies that you control and use then it's more likely that you're a noble or someone who has a position of power, although some keep the true extent
Stephen
3.5 stars. Another excellent installment in what has turned out to be an above-average epic fantasy series. The description of the book tells enough about the story that I won't re-hash the plot and will simply point out a few things I like about the story.

The progression of Tavi from young, naive, fury-less Country boy to a veteran, capable, fury-full (is that a word) Captain of the Aleran forces has been thoughful, understandable and well done. I also find myself really liking the characters
Josh
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Butcher crafts a compelling fantasy. These are some of the first books in years that have given me chills during some of the more stirring scenes. Can't recommend the series enough. Hail Octavian!
Tom
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Perfection! 5 Every book has gotten better for me and I loved them from the beginning. Instead of a book of theories and questions it was an entire book of ANSWERS! The battle scenes were more condensed and that left more room for personal storylines. LOVE this series!
Rob
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Executive Summary: While this one didn't live up to my memory of it, it's still a really fun read with a lot to like.

Audio book: At this point, I'm used to Kate Reading as a reader and can't imagine anyone else doing it.

Full Review
I originally maintained my 5 star rating after finishing my reread, but I think if I'm honest and rate it how I would if I were reading it for the first time, it would be a solid 4 star. This book starts and ends really well, but slows down in the middle some.

Like t
Cori Reed
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid addition to this series.

I've been partially listening to these books, and now there is one person ahead of me in line from the library for the audiobook of book 5. Sad.

Also, I very much appreciate that the audiobooks are narrated by a woman. In my experience, that only tends so happen when the protagonist is female, and in this case, it is not.

Edit: I've wanted to start mentioning it when fantasy authors address periods, especially male authors. Jim Butcher both acknowledged cramp
Lauren Stoolfire
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The four installment of this series is easily my favorite so far. Taxi really is growing up, isn't he! I love that Jim Butcher can deliver such a sweeping epic fantasy adventure and still take the time to do right by the characters, even those secondary and minor characters I've come to care about. I can't wait to continue this series.
Kathleen
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tavi still overcomes by depending on his wits and forming strong friendships. A good read, especially aboard the Slive with Captain Demos, and in Alera Imperia with Ambassador Vaug. Cool dueling scene at the end. Tavi learns a few things about himself, and the cause of his inhibited fury-crafting abilities.

Major problem with the characterization of Fidelius. Early in book 1, Gaius told Amara that he suspected FIDELIUS. He knew Fidelius incapable of truly understanding loyalty. He saw portents o
Jim
Another fun, quick read, although a bit predictable. The main character, Tavi, matures further & is slowly coming into his own, which is neat. The interactions with the Camin are interesting - different cultures meeting & clashing. It's nice to see that the 'good' guys aren't always perfect & often, no matter what they do, their options are limited so that they can seem pretty bad. I'm definitely looking forward to the next book.
ShoSho
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!
Donna
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the 4th book in this series by Jim Butcher. Just like with the 3rd one, I loved the ending. I can't imagine where the next one will go. Certain info was being constantly revealed as the story progressed. I loved that part. There were actually many things I liked about this one.

The story line unfolded at a fair clip. There was plenty of action and as always, this author does amazing world building. The characters were also given time to shine as they continued to progress, especially Tav
Sir Anni
3.5 Stars 🌟
Reed
Dec 01, 2008 rated it liked it
The continuing adventures of Tavi and the rest of the crew. If you are a fan of the series, you know what to expect. The characters get into loads of impossible scrapes, only to somehow pull themselves through.

I've noticed a disturbing trend in this series since the second book--I spend the first quarter to third of the book trying to remember who all the characters are, and where the assorted story lines were going. I spend the next third or so thinking "I love Butcher's novels, but I'm not sur
Kaila
I am not a Codex Alera fan. So far, the star spread is (links lead to the reviews):

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera #1) - 2 stars
Academ's Fury (Codex Alera #2) - 2 stars
Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera #3) - 1 star
And this book, Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) - 2 stars

That's not a very good track record to continue on with. And yet, I'm still reading them. Some deep dark part of me obviously wants to know how the story is going to end, and whether any of these characters are ever going to bite it. So
3.5 stars. The perfect combination of action, intrigue, relationship and character development, I enjoyed this one the most of the series so far. The different story lines, settings, and points of view helped to move the overall plot along quite nicely. The H was really my favourite character. Unfortunately, Isana turned into a bit of a caricature in this one, but then again I've never really liked her. Looking forward to book five!
KostasAt
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
7.5/10

Moving towards the second half of the series, where most authors would have already brought their story arcs to their completion, having managed to build a huge world through his imagination, Jim Butcher takes us in Captain’s Fury, the fourth installment, back to the Realm's civil war, into a story of Legionares and Senators, of singulares, pirates and wolfish warriors, and into an adventure of stratagems and conspiracies, of discipline and leadership, and of truth and trust that will test
Tosh
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Tavi has grown so much within these 4 books, discovering some very important things about himself. Most of what he learns has in one way or another been hinted at in previous books, so I don’t really think the discoveries came as much of a surprise. Anticipating when these things would be revealed was still exciting though.

Enemies are far more faithful than friends…more dependable than allies.

Tavi’s interactions with Varg and Nasaug are some of my most favorite moments. Over the course of tim
♡Esra♡
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-6-stars
Yep, this is IT for me. This is why I love Fantasy so much. I have nothing, not one single bad thing to say about this book. I LOVED IT. I can't stress that enough. THIS WAS AMAZING for me. I loved every single second of it.

At some parts it was emotional and I got teary eyed and I loved it. The battle scenes were amazing and if they weren't in this book I wouldn't love it this very much. Every time someone said Hail Gaius Octavian, I loved it AND got the chills. The parts with Canim, loved it.
John
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy
What a great read. The series started off as a pretty solid and entertaining read but each subsequent book is better than the last. Captain's Fury continues to show Tavi's growth and continued frustration at his lack of competency in fury-crafting.

More interesting, to me, is that Isana and Fade are built into extremely interesting characters in their own right, as they have a solid plot line all there on. And yet more Bernard and Amara, who are my favorite couple in the series right now.

The big
Katerina
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Travis
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series is such an amazing adventure. The fourth book in this series is not my favorite only for one reason, they took a huge plot development from the last book and I feel like they didn't totally capitalize on it, if you know what I mean. That aside, the character development is still the best thing about this series. I love seeing the growth and relationships between all the characters evolve. My favorite characters throughout this series are constantly Isana and Amara, I just love readin ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Our hero continues to grow into his destiny and things are brought out into the light for all to see in this book.
Sara Price.
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some useless parts but overall an enjoyable read!
Dantezgirl
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it

So I think I've figured Butcher's style :) And yeah, looks like we do jump two years for each consecutive books. Dunno if I like that in terms of story wise.

So Octavian and Kitai sound like they've FINALLY done the deed. Kitai FINALLY has her horse. Tavi is still Captain. And the Cane are still roaming, now with ex-slave recruits! No doubt Tavi will win the Aleran folks back to his side. AANNDD sounds like Tavi may just be boinking his Cousin or Step Sister! *Shudders* Eww! (Butcher keeps bangi
Heather
Apr 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is my first reread, and I enjoyed it very much. Not as much as the first three, but it’s still a great read.

My original review is below.

——————————

Loved it. It was so great to see Tavi come into his own, and to see him learn the truth of who he is. Captain's Fury is action-packed, and a lot of fun to read. Plus, there were moments I found myself chuckling – whether it was witty banter or just things explained in a way that made me smile. I love this series and Butcher's writing.
Suz
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fantasy
4+ stars

Excellent. I love watching Tavi come into his own, and bringing everyone around him with him.

Kate Reading's narration really is excellent in this series, too. Her characters are distinct and so alive they help the reader readily achieve immersion.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Captain's Fury [Nov 10, 2018] 15 37 Dec 01, 2018 06:51PM
Romance Lovers fo...: Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) by Jim Butcher [Start: January 18, 2016] 48 15 Jan 21, 2016 08:46PM
WRONG PAGE NUMBER? 1 11 Mar 26, 2015 07:57PM
Buddy Read Zone: Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) 88 24 Dec 20, 2014 08:31AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Page Number 3 26 Sep 26, 2014 08:14AM
Furies and the main charakters 4 98 Oct 20, 2011 05:36PM
  • Imager's Intrigue (Imager Portfolio, #3)
  • The Fox (Inda, #2)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Spirit's End (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #5)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • Iorich (Vlad Taltos, #12)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • The Soul Mirror (Collegia Magica, #2)
  • Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1)
  • The Crimson Vault (Traveler's Gate, #2)
  • To Light a Candle (Obsidian Mountain, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
“I've never lost a duel to the death. Not one.” 148 likes
“Tavi grinned. "Are you with me?"
"The plan is insane," Ehren said. "YOU are insane." He looked around the inside of the tent. "I'll need some pants.”
56 likes