Start by marking “Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)” as Want to Read:
Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)

Captain's Fury

(Codex Alera #4)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  58,093 ratings  ·  1,210 reviews
After two years of bitter conflict with the hordes of invading Canim, Tavi of Calderon, now Captain of the First Aleran Legion, realizes that a peril far greater than the Canim exists--the mysterious threat that drove the savage Canim to flee their homeland.

Now, Tavi must find a way to overcome the centuries-old animosities between Aleran and Cane if an alliance is to be
Published December 4th 2007 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Captain's Fury, please sign up.
G.S. Not realizing this was book 4, this is the one I started with. It took about two chapters of, I don't know, recap of past events? introduction of char…moreNot realizing this was book 4, this is the one I started with. It took about two chapters of, I don't know, recap of past events? introduction of characters? before it grabbed me. In fact, I almost returned it. But I'm glad I didn't. By about chapter 3, it was pretty gripping, and now I can hardly put it down.(less)

·  58,093 ratings  ·  1,210 reviews

Start your review of Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
Mario the lone bookwolf
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: butcher-jim
I had to think of Sandersons´ Laws of magic while reading the novels because there are more and more differences between oldfashioned worlds that use the inner character personalization universe as a contrast point in mixture with the world and the fantasy and the new works that unite all elements.

And I would subjectively say that the amalgamation of every aspect of the story in the character makes the works more complex and opens plot options that wouldn´
Anne
My least favorite, so far.
I love to read about Tavi and his immediate circle of friends - Kitai, Max, Ehren, Crassus, Marcus. I love to read about what political hijinks Lord & Lady Aquitaine are up to, and what Lady Aria Placida, Issana & Araris are doing to try to help stop them. And I love to read about Fidelias and his struggle to play both sides against each other.
But Bernard and Amara are just as dull as dishwater.
I mean, I like them, but I tend to zone out a tad when reading about their
Evgeny
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This installment picks up right where the previous one left, so expect some minor spoilers that I will try to minimize. The rebellion of a High Lord still goes on; the invading force is still present in Alera. Tavi and other regulars of the series are still where they were left in the end of book 3. The High Lord of Alera decided that enough is enough and it is time to abandon the diplomacy and show people his raw power.

What is the problem with this? It left Tavi to deal with diplomacy and resu
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[4 stars] Academ’s Fury and Cursor’s Fury were two of the best fantasy books I’ve ever read – I loved the snot out of them. They took me on a whirlwind of a ride and so, by comparison, Captain’s Fury was a slower burn, more on par with the first book (although the events that happened within this one still rocked my world). It seemed more like a set up novel for the last couple books in the series and it did a great job generating some momentum. I can’t wait to finish this series – almost everyt ...more
Scott  Hitchcock
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: butcher
The series has definitely gotten better each book. I'm glad I stuck with it. The less whiny Tavi gets the better.
Kaitlin
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
To me, this book has been the most fun in the series so far, which is great! I read this as part of the #Rainbowthon and I found myself managing to get through this is just 2 days, very exciting.

This is set in a world where magic is the norm and everyone has at least one weak Fury (kind of a magic spirit). If you are very proficient with the Fury or Furies that you control and use then it's more likely that you're a noble or someone who has a position of power, although some keep the true extent
Stephen
3.5 stars. Another excellent installment in what has turned out to be an above-average epic fantasy series. The description of the book tells enough about the story that I won't re-hash the plot and will simply point out a few things I like about the story.

The progression of Tavi from young, naive, fury-less Country boy to a veteran, capable, fury-full (is that a word) Captain of the Aleran forces has been thoughful, understandable and well done. I also find myself really liking the characters
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series gets more and more interesting with each book!

It could have been a tad shorter as we really didn't need to know so many details about that very long journey of the First Lord through so many places. I get it. It was loooooong and dangerous! And I almost reached the stage of: Oh, come on!! Still not done with it?!
Apart from that however, no complains from me!

A thumping good read!
And if you love adventure with a great touch of magic, you're going to love this!

Those furies are awes
Tom
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Perfection! 5 Every book has gotten better for me and I loved them from the beginning. Instead of a book of theories and questions it was an entire book of ANSWERS! The battle scenes were more condensed and that left more room for personal storylines. LOVE this series!
Josh
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Butcher crafts a compelling fantasy. These are some of the first books in years that have given me chills during some of the more stirring scenes. Can't recommend the series enough. Hail Octavian!
Rob
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Executive Summary: While this one didn't live up to my memory of it, it's still a really fun read with a lot to like.

Audio book: At this point, I'm used to Kate Reading as a reader and can't imagine anyone else doing it.

Full Review
I originally maintained my 5 star rating after finishing my reread, but I think if I'm honest and rate it how I would if I were reading it for the first time, it would be a solid 4 star. This book starts and ends really well, but slows down in the middle some.

Lauren Stoolfire
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The fourth installment of this series is easily my favorite so far. Taxi really is growing up, isn't he! I love that Jim Butcher can deliver such a sweeping epic fantasy adventure and still take the time to do right by the characters, even those secondary and minor characters I've come to care about. I can't wait to continue this series.
Cori Reed
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid addition to this series.

I've been partially listening to these books, and now there is one person ahead of me in line from the library for the audiobook of book 5. Sad.

Also, I very much appreciate that the audiobooks are narrated by a woman. In my experience, that only tends so happen when the protagonist is female, and in this case, it is not.

Edit: I've wanted to start mentioning it when fantasy authors address periods, especially male authors. Jim Butcher both acknowledged cramp
Jim
Another fun, quick read, although a bit predictable. The main character, Tavi, matures further & is slowly coming into his own, which is neat. The interactions with the Camin are interesting - different cultures meeting & clashing. It's nice to see that the 'good' guys aren't always perfect & often, no matter what they do, their options are limited so that they can seem pretty bad. I'm definitely looking forward to the next book. ...more
ShoSho
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!
Nadine
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ll keep this short and spoiler free since Captain’s Fury is the fourth book in the series.

Captain’s Fury is slower than the previous novels, but that does not detract from its awesomeness. If you’ve made it this far into the series, you can forgive it’s slowly pace and lengthy set up for the final two novels.

The series is now embroiled in war. Butcher writes such energetic and gritty war scenes making it easy to follow and visualize. At no point does he glorify war. He shows it in all its dirt
⋆  yel  ⋆
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads, review
4 of 5 stars

-----

"Very few people understand that swords aren't dangerous, Tavi, nor hands nor arms, nor furies. Minds are dangerous. Wills are dangerous. You are heavily armed with both"

Probably my least favorite in this series so far but still a very much solid read. I appreciate how the author makes Tavi's character so consistent but not repetitive. He still managed to suprise me with his clever decisions. He's flawed, just like any other characters, but he somehow used his flaws to his a
Shreyas
This series gets better and better with each book. This one was a labyrinth of political intrigue and decisions and out-maneuvering ones opponents both literally and figuratively. I loved it and can't wait to read the next two.

Ratings:- 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Reed
Dec 01, 2008 rated it liked it
The continuing adventures of Tavi and the rest of the crew. If you are a fan of the series, you know what to expect. The characters get into loads of impossible scrapes, only to somehow pull themselves through.

I've noticed a disturbing trend in this series since the second book--I spend the first quarter to third of the book trying to remember who all the characters are, and where the assorted story lines were going. I spend the next third or so thinking "I love Butcher's novels, but I'm not sur
Kathleen
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tavi still overcomes by depending on his wits and forming strong friendships. A good read, especially aboard the Slive with Captain Demos, and in Alera Imperia with Ambassador Vaug. Cool dueling scene at the end. Tavi learns a few things about himself, and the cause of his inhibited fury-crafting abilities.

Major problem with the characterization of Fidelius. Early in book 1, Gaius told Amara that he suspected FIDELIUS. He knew Fidelius incapable of truly understanding loyalty. He saw portents o
Donna
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the 4th book in this series by Jim Butcher. Just like with the 3rd one, I loved the ending. I can't imagine where the next one will go. Certain info was being constantly revealed as the story progressed. I loved that part. There were actually many things I liked about this one.

The story line unfolded at a fair clip. There was plenty of action and as always, this author does amazing world building. The characters were also given time to shine as they continued to progress, especially Tav
Kaila
I am not a Codex Alera fan. So far, the star spread is (links lead to the reviews):

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera #1) - 2 stars
Academ's Fury (Codex Alera #2) - 2 stars
Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera #3) - 1 star
And this book, Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) - 2 stars

That's not a very good track record to continue on with. And yet, I'm still reading them. Some deep dark part of me obviously wants to know how the story is going to end, and whether any of these characters are ever going to bite it. So
Sir Anni
3.5 Stars 🌟
Katerina
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy, fantasy
Our hero continues to grow into his destiny and things are brought out into the light for all to see in this book.
Kostas
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
7.5/10

Moving towards the second half of the series, where most authors would have already brought their story arcs to their completion, having managed to build a huge world through his imagination, Jim Butcher takes us in Captain’s Fury, the fourth installment, back to the Realm's civil war, into a story of Legionares and Senators, of singulares, pirates and wolfish warriors, and into an adventure of stratagems and conspiracies, of discipline and leadership, and of truth and trust that will test
Dantezgirl
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it

So I think I've figured Butcher's style :) And yeah, looks like we do jump two years for each consecutive books. Dunno if I like that in terms of story wise.

So Octavian and Kitai sound like they've FINALLY done the deed. Kitai FINALLY has her horse. Tavi is still Captain. And the Cane are still roaming, now with ex-slave recruits! No doubt Tavi will win the Aleran folks back to his side. AANNDD sounds like Tavi may just be boinking his Cousin or Step Sister! *Shudders* Eww! (Butcher keeps bangi
G33z3r
Another fast-paced action entry in the series, this one more focused. Most of the story centers on Tavi & Co., and thanks for that, because the Bernard/Amara parallel story held no interest at all (and was just a tedious plot device to explain why no one in the main storyline could contact the emperor.) ...more
3.5 stars. The perfect combination of action, intrigue, relationship and character development, I enjoyed this one the most of the series so far. The different story lines, settings, and points of view helped to move the overall plot along quite nicely. The H was really my favourite character. Unfortunately, Isana turned into a bit of a caricature in this one, but then again I've never really liked her. Looking forward to book five!
Tosh
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Tavi has grown so much within these 4 books, discovering some very important things about himself. Most of what he learns has in one way or another been hinted at in previous books, so I don’t really think the discoveries came as much of a surprise. Anticipating when these things would be revealed was still exciting though.

Enemies are far more faithful than friends…more dependable than allies.

Tavi’s interactions with Varg and Nasaug are some of my most favorite moments. Over the course of t
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Captain's Fury by Jim Butcher 16 15 May 17, 2019 03:49PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Captain's Fury [Nov 10, 2018] 15 38 Dec 01, 2018 06:51PM
Romance Lovers fo...: Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) by Jim Butcher [Start: January 18, 2016] 48 15 Jan 21, 2016 08:46PM
WRONG PAGE NUMBER? 1 11 Mar 26, 2015 07:57PM
Buddy Read Zone: Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) 88 24 Dec 20, 2014 08:31AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Page Number 3 26 Sep 26, 2014 08:14AM

• The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • Unsouled (Cradle, #1)
  • Blackflame (Cradle, #3)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)