Start by marking “She Persisted” as Want to Read:
She Persisted

She Persisted

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  5,432 ratings  ·  1,007 reviews
Chelsea Clinton introduces tiny feminists, mini activists and little kids who are ready to take on the world to thirteen inspirational women who never took no for an answer, and who always, inevitably and without fail, persisted.

Throughout American history, there have always been women who have spoken out for what’s right, even when they have to fight to be heard. In early
Published May 30th 2017 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about She Persisted, please sign up.
Allie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alice Harriett Tubman , Helen Keller, Clara Lemlich, Nellie Bly, Virginia Apgar, Maria Tallchief's, Claudette Colvin, Ruby Bridges, Margaret Chase Smith, Sa…moreHarriett Tubman , Helen Keller, Clara Lemlich, Nellie Bly, Virginia Apgar, Maria Tallchief's, Claudette Colvin, Ruby Bridges, Margaret Chase Smith, Sally Ride, Florence Griffith Joyner, Oprah Winfrey and Sonia Sotomayor!(less)

·  5,432 ratings  ·  1,007 reviews

Start your review of She Persisted
Michelle
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I picked up "She Persisted" expecting my inner 8 year old to be drawn in and perhaps be inspired by tales of courage, intelligence --and naturally, persistence. After reading this book though, I could say that its heart is in the right place, but the execution failed to make any real impact.

The premise is workable ("she persisted") but I think the author's task isn't just to regurgitate isolated facts -- rather it is to weave a narrative that a child can then empathize with, and walk in the fo
Julie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I recently read and reviewed Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls and wondered at the process (which was not explained in the book) that was used to select 100 rebellious women and girls from the entire world.

Chelsea Clinton was tasked with a similar job in her new children's book, She Persisted, but Clinton at least had a narrowed scope, of selecting only 13 American women who persisted.

So, I asked myself, before I began. . . Who would be MY 13 American women. . . who persisted? Well, it just came
Calista
An Inspiring book about 13 women who helped shape the country we live in. These women rose above what people said a woman could do. They persisted. We need these examples to remind our next generation that everything is possible to them.

To open doors, children need to know there are others who have opened doors and we can now step through. Be done with limits.

The art gets the job done.

I got this for my Niece and I don't know if she gets it and she did enjoy the story.
David Schaafsma
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books, and we have been doing this for years. Everyone rates each book and adds a comment and it may (or may not) affect my overall rating. This is book #10 of 2017.

Tara: 4.5 stars. Inspiring.

Harry (12): 3 stars. I like how the the title fits all the women in the book.

Hank (11): 3.3 stars. The great history of the twentieth century: She persisted.

Lyra (10): 5 stars!! Inspiring, yeah! Women can do anything they put their minds to
leynes
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this is a children's book that I would read to my hypothetical children. Don't be fooled by the 3-star-rating since it only reflects my personal enjoyment and what I got out of this book (which isn't much since it's not very high in information density and literally only takes five minutes to read). As a children's book, however, this is an absolute banger. It's easily comprehensible, has beautiful illustrations and an important message.
So, if anyone ever tells you no, if anyone ever says
Cyndi
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this book to my grandson and it was wonderful! Written by Chelsea Clinton, it is a children's book about thirteen extraordinary little girls who overcame great odds to become extraordinary women who crashed open the doors for the rest of us. Get this book (buy it borrow it from the library, whatever) and read it to your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, neighbors, volunteer at a school, you get the idea. This is the kind of books kids should be reading and learning ...more
Kelli
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves five thousand stars for its message. Beautiful artwork and a handful of sentences about each woman make this a perfect children’s picture book. The absence of encyclopedic detail allows the truly inspirational message to be the main focus. The last page was wonderful ...connecting the cover image with the book’s spectacular message. My ten-year-old daughter (who has for the most part aged out of picture books) told me she found this book inspiring. I couldn’t agree more! 5 sta ...more
Theresa Alan
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book about thirteen women who persisted even after being told they should shut up and stay in the kitchen. In the case of prima ballerina Maria Tallchief, she was told she should change her name because “Tallchief” revealed her Native American heritage. Instead, she became the first American prima ballerina.

The illustrations were wonderful and the vocabulary appropriate for my first-grade niece. The stories are inspiring and important. Highly recommend.
Beth
I have to admit, I was a bit dubious when I heard about this book. It seemed like it was just a quick way to capitalize on a particular moment in politics. But then I read the book. It is beautifully written and thoughtfully curated. The women included in this book go beyond the typical names you're used to reading about like Rosa Parks or Susan B. Anthony. But whether the women in this book were well-known or little-known, one thing unites them all. They were warned. They were given an explanat ...more
Richard Cardenas
This was a quick, inspiring, and amazing read. I read it while I was helping out at my cousin's book fair and it was selling like crazy so that's great to hear. :)
Stephanie Anze
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Young girls need to see role models in whatever careers they may choose, just so they can picture themselves doing those jobs. You can't be what you can't see." Sally Ride, Astronaut

In 'She Persisted', Chelsea Clinton presents the real life stories of thirteen American woman who defied expectations and rose above adversity. Varying in ages, races and achievements these women where at some point told no, you can not, its impossible. I love a good illustrated book and this one definitely delivere
Erin Kelly
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent mix of historical and contemporary. Sadly, no Asian American women. But still good. The artwork is perfection.
shakespeareandspice
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don’t let the hounds get you down. Persist.
Gary Anderson
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell intended to rebuke Senator Elizabeth Warren during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings for Attorney General Jefferson Sessions, McConnell uttered the phrase “Nevertheless, she persisted.” As it turns out, McConnell created a new rallying cry for women: “She Persisted.”

She Persisted, Chelsea Clinton’s new picture book, isn’t overtly political, but it capitalizes on McConnell's phrase to present thirteen American women who pushed through barriers to
Lauren Stoolfire
Incredibly inspirational and empowering. I want to put this into as many hands as possible!
Celia
I became interested in this book because I read about Maria Tallchief, an American prima ballerina, who also happens to be a Native American Indian. She and the other twelve women described were told no, your dreams are too big, but THEY PERSISTED.

Harriet Tubman - a 'station' on the Underground Railroad
Helen Keller - blind, deaf and dumb, she learned to speak
Clara Lemlich - champion for women's working rights in New York
Nellie Bly - journalist
Virginia Apgar - a doctor, developed the Apgar score
Elyse  Walters
I read Chelsea Clinton’s book at my local library. Grade level is aimed at preschool to 3rd grade. I read this week’s ago.

My first thoughts were that the illustrations looked elementary....fine - but the rest of the book isn’t. I didn’t think the illustrations- size of the book and the stories fit together at all.
The threadbare- cliff-note stories were ‘lacking’ in storytelling creativity. The language would be hard for pre school kids to comprehend.
The quotes of inspiration by famous women
Tukunjil Nayeera
“So, if anyone ever tells you no, of anyone says your voice isn't important or your dreams are too big, remember these women. They persisted and so should you.”

So, this book is about 13 fabulous American Women from different fields who didn't give up. Despite all odds, they've persisted. There were some women of whom I've never heard before. However, I wouldn't mention them all in this review. I would rather other readers to read this book. Now, as a physician, I would like to mention Dr. Virgin
La Coccinelle
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was actually a fairly pleasant surprise. I'm always a little wary when it comes to celebrity picture books. I did enjoy Barack Obama's turn as a children's book author, so I thought I'd give this one a try. And though I'm not American, I still found the subject matter interesting.

She Persisted presents 13 women who achieved their goals despite the odds being stacked against them. Some of them--Harriet Tubman, Helen Keller, Oprah Winfrey--I wasn't surprised to see. But there were a few
Melki
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this look at 13 women who didn't take NO for an answer.

The illustrations are beautiful . . .

description

And there are some wonderfully inspiring quotes:

"One can never consent to creep when one feels the impulse to soar." ~ Helen Keller

"I knew then and I know now that when it comes to justice, there is no easy way to get it. You can't sugarcoat it. You have to take a stand and say, 'This is not right.'" ~ Claudette Colvin

"When anyone tells me I can't do anything . . . I'm just not listening anymo
Krista Regester
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and read it to three of my younger sisters. I thought they enjoyed it as much as I did until one of them asked me "what does persisted mean" after I had finished reading.
Dolly
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
"Nevertheless, she persisted." This quote was uttered as a disparaging remark about Senator Elizabeth Warren, but was taken back by the Women's March movement and is a rallying cry for political protests.

This book features short stories about dynamic women; women who were notable for their efforts. I would've liked the book more if it had picked a few more women who weren't already included in so, so, so many other books about female pioneers and leaders.

Nothing against Harriet Tubman and Helen
Jeremy
A+ for not including Margaret Sanger. F for not including Jenny Geddes. B+ for an interesting idea for a children’s book, with some accounts of truly brave women, some of whom exhibited their courage as very young girls. F for the context of its genesis, mentioned in Clinton's dedication. F for teaching young readers that "no" means "yes."

In September 2018, Waco held a "Nevertheless, She Preached" conference. In one of the sessions, Dr. Gaventa (Baylor prof) is introduced by someone who acknowle
Erikka
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you know a little girl? Are you a little girl? Does someone you know know a little girl? If so, tell them about this book. Read this book. Embrace. This. Book. Clinton does a simply beautiful job introducing 13 diverse women who stood up to discouragement based on their gender and succeeded in long-lasting ways. The artwork by Alexandra Boiger is lovely and shows these women not only as themselves, but as their younger selves, striving to reach higher goals they were told weren't available to ...more
Janet
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely children's book! The book even taught this old feminist about some important persistent women that I had never heard of.
If you have a young daughter, know someone's young daughter, or one day want a nice gift for a young random acquaintance; buy this. Read it yourself first before you give it away.
Russ Anderson
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes being a girl isn't easy. At some point, someone probably will tell you no, will tell you to be quiet and may even tell you your dreams are impossible. Don't listen to them."

An important book for readers of all ages.
Kimberly
I was today years old when I learned that the Apgar scale was invented by and named for a woman. Another wonderful collection by Chelsea Clinton. Love the illustrations—the Harriet Tubman one in particular is very stirring.
Shannon
She Persisted: 13 Women Who Changed the World

I Picked Up This Book Because: I saw an interview with Chelsea on The Tonight Show about the book and thought it was a great idea so when I saw my local library had it I picked it up.

The Story:

This book was exactly what it says it is. Wonderful women who persisted to change the world. Beautiful quotes from each and vivid illustrations. I wish every little girl in the world could read this book.

The Random Thoughts:

I’m buying a
Elizabeth☮
We bought an autographed copy of this one for our youngest who is now six.

I liked that Clinton picked not just well known women (Harriet Tubman, Helen Keller and Sally Ride), but also lesser known women like Clara Lemlich and Maria Tallchief. Azaria kept asking to look all of them up so she could see pictures and make comparisons of what we found online to what she read in the book.

Clinton picked a broad range of women from American history. I think she will definitely follow up with women from
Katherine
I really enjoyed the book, but I would like more information on each of these women - the time period they lived in, the context... The moral of each story is "She persisted," which, while powerful, is missing something. Readers who know these women will enjoy the collection of them, but otherwise it will fly over most children's heads.

• Malala's Magic Pencil
  • I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark
  • The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors
  • We're All Wonders
  • The Book of Mistakes
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters
  • The Youngest Marcher: The Story of Audrey Faye Hendricks, a Young Civil Rights Activist
  • Last Stop on Market Street
  • Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History
  • The Day You Begin
  • A Greyhound, A Groundhog
  • Over and Under the Pond
  • Jabari Jumps (Jabari, #1)
  • It Takes a Village
  • The Undefeated
  • Triangle
  • Not Quite Narwhal
Chelsea Clinton has always been interested in making the world a better place. When she was a child in Little Rock, Arkansas, one of her favorite books was 50 Simple Things Kids Can Do to Save the Earth, and as a teenager in Washington, D.C., she led her school’s service club. While at Stanford, Chelsea worked as a reading and writing tutor and volunteered at the Children’s Hospital. Today, she is ...more

Articles featuring this book

Have you already surpassed your 2018 Reading Challenge? That's fantastic. Congrats! But then this isn't for you. This is for the rest o...
“So, if anyone ever tells you no, if anyone says your voice isn't important or your dreams are too big, remember these women. They persisted and so should you.” 10 likes