Start by marking “The Flash: Hocus Pocus” as Want to Read:
The Flash: Hocus Pocus

The Flash: Hocus Pocus

(The Flash #1)

Race into action in this all-new original adventure based on the hit CW TV series, The Flash

In a timeline where Flashpoint never happened, The Flash (aka Barry Allen) must face a mysterious villain who can control the minds and actions of citizens. But when Hocus Pocus, as he calls himself, takes control of Barry, it’s up to Team Flash to help the Scarlet Speedster be
Published October 3rd 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Flash, please sign up.
Silverscarf Yes it is. This is technically a middle grade novel and I thought it would be appropriate for younger 12 or 13 year olds. It's just like the show, so …moreYes it is. This is technically a middle grade novel and I thought it would be appropriate for younger 12 or 13 year olds. It's just like the show, so if they are allowed to watch that, then this is perfect.(less)

Start your review of The Flash: Hocus Pocus
Cweb
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the Flash tv show
Shelves: dc
A fantastic and thrilling book which I really enjoyed. I'm hoping the sequel will be just as good.
Steven R. McEvoy
Last summer my three children and I started watching Supergirl, and once we were caught up on that we watched The Flash. My daughters prefer Supergirl and my son loved The Flash. So when I found out that one of my all-time favorite authors was releasing a Flash novelization I was terribly excited. My son wants to read this book with me, but to be honest I could not wait and read a chapter or two a day with him. I devoured the book over 2 days in 4 sittings. Each of the three times I put the book ...more
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
As a cable TV-show tie-in licensed children's book, I fully expected this to be terrible. I was not disappointed. It was not horrifying; the writing was at least competent, from an established children's and YA author. Structurally, the story is similar to an episode of the TV show, but it lacked any charm, and the story was rather silly. The villain's habit of only speaking in all-caps (including with EXCLAMATION! POINTS! AFTER! EACH! WORD! BUT! ONLY! DURING! HIS! FIRST! APPEARANCE!) was irrita ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Do you like The Flash?

Then you'll love this book. There's nothing else to say, really.

Barry Lyga really gets these characters, and manages to balance everyone very nicely (a little more Iris and Wally might have been nice, but that's a small complaint). The story moves at a brisk pace, and feels like an episode of the show as Barry hits walls and tries to deal with multiple problems at once, with a secondary story threaded in to come to fruition in the next book instead too.

The villain of the p
Rocky
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
i like the show better, but this was good.
Gecky Boz
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Flash

Wow, I really loved this book. After reading if you're anything like me you'll be wishing that the author Barry Lyga wrote for The Flash TV show. I adore the show too but his version of flashpoint not happening makes for some strong reading.

The author really seems to understand what makes these characters shine. Hocus Pocus is a great villain too.

The ending is To Be Continued, so here's hoping the next book is published ASAP.
Nicely done. Felt like an episode of the show, and the author had a good handle on the characters' voices. (Plus H.R. was in it!)
Ricky
If I'm not mistaken, this is to be the first of a potential series of Flash adventures from Barry Lyga, based on the CW TV series - and while I know Lyga best for his often very dark YA books, this more MG-oriented book marks a much-needed return to his geeky roots.

Hocus Pocus could be a lost episode of the third season of the TV series, but with a few small changes courtesy of Lyga that make the story even better. Sadly for me, one of those changes is not a removal of WestAllen - heck, a lot o
Nevins Memorial
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: danielle-s-reads
This book was amazing. I'd never heard of Barry Lyga before, but, if you look on my shelf in this account you'll see that I'm quite a fan of DC Comics properties, (and I quite like some of the middle grade books out there as well), and so I gave this a try.

It's better than the TV show. I've watched all the DCTV shows, from the dour Arrow to the mostly sunny Flash and Supergirl, and I've been reading Flash comics since at least Mark Waid was writing him. And Mr. Lyga gets Barry, and then takes th
Silverscarf
I love the CW DCTV shows and am always excited for new tie-in novels for them. This was an amazing read. This author has captured the show so well, and written it even better in some cases. Setting this in an alternate season 3 where Barry never created Flashpoint was a brilliant move. Anything could happen and readers wouldn't be upset that it was messing with the canon of the show, and as kind of an added bonus it makes things more exciting overall. You don't go into it with the feeling that c ...more
Avery (ThePagemaster)
4.5 out of 5

This read like a Flash episode! I loved every page!
Evan
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable book if you're a fan of the CW show and of the comics.
Panda Incognito
I enjoyed this novel tremendously. It rewrites the series three ending of "The Flash" to what I would have preferred, and then presents an original story from there. The characters and dialogue were so accurate that I could hear their voices in my head as I read, and even though I could nitpick criticisms with the prose, this was a great book overall. My one caveat is that because it spoils many significant series plot lines, people should watch the show before reading the book.
Brandi
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tons of fun! Each character was used well (but not enough Iris, as usual!) and felt like themselves. And the villain was intriguing. I can’t wait for the next one!
Gwen
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honya
rated: 3.5 of 5
I’m a big fan of The CW’s version of The Flash, which features a fabulous cast, a great sense of humor, and an excellent balance of action and drama. Plus, I’ve enjoyed the writing of Barry Lyga in the past. So I was pretty thrilled to find that Lyga had written the first volume of a media tie-in series for the show. And generally speaking, I was quite pleased with Hocus Pocus. It reads very much like an episode of the show, both with the arrival and subsequent handling of the vil
Wayland Smith
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superheroes
I read tie-in novels for things I like because I can be a completist. I usually don't expect a lot. This one was a cut above that. The author clearly knows the show and the characters, and enjoys both. I was very pleasantly surprised by this one.

Set during season three of the show, just after Wally becomes Kid-Flash and HR Wells, idea man, is part of the team, this book has a few different characters from the greater DCU that had never been in the Arrowverse before. Cisco (before he's Vibe all
Eva
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
Actual rating: 3.5

Surprisingly good! It was an intriguing move to ditch the Flashpoint timeline and have Barry not run back in time to stop Reverse-Flash. #evaapproves What I don't approve of is that Kid Flash is a thing because it doesn't make sense - Alchemy wasn't around to give him his powers! (Though I will admit that Wally was a lot less annoying in this book than in the show.) Which brings me to my other beef with this book...there's no Julian. I know he was a result of Flashpoint but he'
Douglas Gibson
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a cute adaptation of the CW show, that would be perfect for kids 12-15ish, but had too many annoying inconsistencies and plot holes for me to totally forgive (and I am a huge Barry Lyga fan. He's one of my favorite YA authors) Flash in book form allows for more insight into these character's which is lots of fun, and also allows the author do things that the special effects budget of a TV show can't afford to do. The book lover in me also loves that they did not just opt to do a com ...more
Laura Mauro
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
* I would rate this book 3.75 stars*

I thought this book was such a fun read. I loved being in these characters heads and also going back to the events in season 2 and three. I really loved how this book tackled a WHAT if process of events. I also really liked how this book is seeing up a "long term" storyline almost like it is season of t.v show. I really loved this plot that occurred and was super invested in the story line. I wish we saw more of Iris in this novel but I have high hopes in the
Irraya
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a nice short book based on the tv series. The charm of the tv series is the actors, which cannot be fully portrayed with words. However, Lyga does a pretty decent job and this was a fun read.

This book ends on a cliffhanger, and nothing is tied up by the end. I wasn't too happy about that. There is no indication of that anywhere, and I definitely wouldn't have read this book had I known. At least not until the final book is out.

Read this is you enjoy the tv series.
Zuzana
I am a big fan of the DCTV shows produce by CW network - I think they have a great formula which just keeps on giving ! I’ve loved the Supergirl novel, so obviously I wanted to read The Flash novel too - but I have to say I didn’t find it as compelling as the Supergirl novel ! It was a little slow paced and slightly boring. But I loved how much time was taken by Wally aka Kid Flash ! I got to know him a little better ! And I’m going to read the rest of the novels too !
Sophie T
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the Flash TV Show, and I knew Barry Lyga is a fantastic author, so when I heard about this book I knew I needed to check it out. I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end, and would definitely recommend to any fans of The Flash, especially anyone who was unhappy with Season 3 of the series.
Jaymie
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m very impressed with this book. Takes place in an alternate universe from the show where Barry did NOT go back in time to save his mother. The villain in this is legit - lots of tension and suspense. I wasn’t sure how the team would fix things. Lots of threads left open for future books. Terrific for fans of the TV show.
Lexi
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would! It was basically like reading an episode of the flash. It was well written and an interesting fast read. It definitely left me wanting more and I'm excited to get my hands on the next one when it comes out!
Eric Fisk
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Flows just like an episode of the show. How will Flash win against this foe, with his team of course. While I enjoyed reading it I feel the story was filled with unnecessary elements to fill the pages. Flash fans will enjoy it.
RetroVirds
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like DC and all but I didn’t think this book would take my interests boy was I proven wrong. The book is action packed and detailed in the writing which I enjoy. I would give it 5 stars and I think and Flash fans would enjoy.
Ben McCaughtry
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It felt just like an episode of the TV show and had a great ending, that definitely makes me want to check out the next books in the series. My one critique is the villain, who could have been fleshed out a lot more!
Ava
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was quite a refresher after all the horror books I've been reading. I've watched the show already so I was able to connect a lot of things from the book to the it. I give it a 8.5/10 since I was a little bored in the beginning but I do recommend you watch the show first before reading.
Jessica
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Absolutely love the CW show, and this book went really well along with it. The characters were great, and I enjoyed reading all of Barry's thoughts, and remarks about how a scientist thinks.

• Supergirl: Age of Atlantis
  • The Flash: The Haunting of Barry Allen
  • Supergirl: Curse of the Ancients
  • Supergirl: Master of Illusion
  • Pieces of Why
  • Doctor Who: Apollo 23
  • Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2)
  • The Relic of Perilous Falls (Will Wilder #1)
  • The Lost Staff of Wonders (Will Wilder, #2)
  • Minecraft: Wither Without You (Graphic Novel)
  • Garfield's Big Fat Hairy Adventure
  • Minecraft: Stories from the Overworld (Graphic Novel)
  • Minecraft: Combat Handbook
  • Minecraft Volume 1 (Graphic Novel)
  • The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary: How Greg Heffley Went Hollywood
  • Our Dining Table
  • Superman: Dawnbreaker (DC Icons, #4)
  • Plants vs. Zombies Volume 1: Lawnmageddon
Barry Lyga is a recovering comic book geek. According to Kirkus, he's also a "YA rebel-author." Somehow, the two just don't seem to go together to him.

When he was a kid, everyone told him that comic books were garbage and would rot his brain, but he had the last laugh. Raised on a steady diet of comics, he worked in the comic book industry for ten years, but now writes full-time because, well, wou

The Flash (3 books)
  • The Flash: Johnny Quick
  • The Flash: The Tornado Twins (The Flash #3)