Start by marking “The Flash: Hocus Pocus” as Want to Read:
The Flash: Hocus Pocus

The Flash: Hocus Pocus

(The Flash #1)

Race into action in this all-new original adventure based on the hit CW TV series, The Flash

In a timeline where Flashpoint never happened, The Flash (aka Barry Allen) must face a mysterious villain who can control the minds and actions of citizens. But when Hocus Pocus, as he calls himself, takes control of Barry, it’s up to Team Flash to help the Scarlet Speedster be
Published October 3rd 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Flash, please sign up.
Silverscarf Yes it is. This is technically a middle grade novel and I thought it would be appropriate for younger 12 or 13 year olds. It's just like the show, so…moreYes it is. This is technically a middle grade novel and I thought it would be appropriate for younger 12 or 13 year olds. It's just like the show, so if they are allowed to watch that, then this is perfect.(less)

Cweb
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the Flash tv show
Shelves: dc
A fantastic and thrilling book which I really enjoyed. I'm hoping the sequel will be just as good.
Steven R. McEvoy
Last summer my three children and I started watching Supergirl, and once we were caught up on that we watched The Flash. My daughters prefer Supergirl and my son loved The Flash. So when I found out that one of my all-time favorite authors was releasing a Flash novelization I was terribly excited. My son wants to read this book with me, but to be honest I could not wait and read a chapter or two a day with him. I devoured the book over 2 days in 4 sittings. Each of the three times I put the book ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Do you like The Flash?

Then you'll love this book. There's nothing else to say, really.

Barry Lyga really gets these characters, and manages to balance everyone very nicely (a little more Iris and Wally might have been nice, but that's a small complaint). The story moves at a brisk pace, and feels like an episode of the show as Barry hits walls and tries to deal with multiple problems at once, with a secondary story threaded in to come to fruition in the next book instead too.

The villain of the p
Nicely done. Felt like an episode of the show, and the author had a good handle on the characters' voices. (Plus H.R. was in it!)
Alisson Couto
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Flash: Hocus Pocus tem o claro interesse de explorar o universo das séries do CW-verse também no mundo dos livros. A história parte de uma premissa muito interessante, imaginando uma simples questão: e se o Flash não tivesse voltado no tempo ao cabo da 2ª temporada da série?
Assim, a Terra-1 explorada em The Flash: Hocus Pocus não sofreu os efeitos do Ponto de Ignição, configurando uma espécie de 3ª temporada alternativa para a série de TV. Após Zoom ter assassinado seu pai diante de seus olh
Gecky Boz
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Flash

Wow, I really loved this book. After reading if you're anything like me you'll be wishing that the author Barry Lyga wrote for The Flash TV show. I adore the show too but his version of flashpoint not happening makes for some strong reading.

The author really seems to understand what makes these characters shine. Hocus Pocus is a great villain too.

The ending is To Be Continued, so here's hoping the next book is published ASAP.
Ricky
If I'm not mistaken, this is to be the first of a potential series of Flash adventures from Barry Lyga, based on the CW TV series - and while I know Lyga best for his often very dark YA books, this more MG-oriented book marks a much-needed return to his geeky roots.

Hocus Pocus could be a lost episode of the third season of the TV series, but with a few small changes courtesy of Lyga that make the story even better. Sadly for me, one of those changes is not a removal of WestAllen - heck, a lot o
Nevins Memorial
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: danielle-s-reads
This book was amazing. I'd never heard of Barry Lyga before, but, if you look on my shelf in this account you'll see that I'm quite a fan of DC Comics properties, (and I quite like some of the middle grade books out there as well), and so I gave this a try.

It's better than the TV show. I've watched all the DCTV shows, from the dour Arrow to the mostly sunny Flash and Supergirl, and I've been reading Flash comics since at least Mark Waid was writing him. And Mr. Lyga gets Barry, and then takes th
Silverscarf
I love the CW DCTV shows and am always excited for new tie-in novels for them. This was an amazing read. This author has captured the show so well, and written it even better in some cases. Setting this in an alternate season 3 where Barry never created Flashpoint was a brilliant move. Anything could happen and readers wouldn't be upset that it was messing with the canon of the show, and as kind of an added bonus it makes things more exciting overall. You don't go into it with the feeling that c ...more
Avery (ThePagemaster)
4.5 out of 5

This read like a Flash episode! I loved every page!
Panda Incognito
I enjoyed this novel tremendously. It rewrites the series three ending of "The Flash" to what I would have preferred, and then presents an original story from there. The characters and dialogue were so accurate that I could hear their voices in my head as I read, and even though I could nitpick criticisms with the prose, this was a great book overall. My one caveat is that because it spoils many significant series plot lines, people should watch the show before reading the book.
Brandi
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tons of fun! Each character was used well (but not enough Iris, as usual!) and felt like themselves. And the villain was intriguing. I can’t wait for the next one!
Honya
rated: 3.5 of 5
I’m a big fan of The CW’s version of The Flash, which features a fabulous cast, a great sense of humor, and an excellent balance of action and drama. Plus, I’ve enjoyed the writing of Barry Lyga in the past. So I was pretty thrilled to find that Lyga had written the first volume of a media tie-in series for the show. And generally speaking, I was quite pleased with Hocus Pocus. It reads very much like an episode of the show, both with the arrival and subsequent handling of the vil
Eva
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
Actual rating: 3.5

Surprisingly good! It was an intriguing move to ditch the Flashpoint timeline and have Barry not run back in time to stop Reverse-Flash. #evaapproves What I don't approve of is that Kid Flash is a thing because it doesn't make sense - Alchemy wasn't around to give him his powers! (Though I will admit that Wally was a lot less annoying in this book than in the show.) Which brings me to my other beef with this book...there's no Julian. I know he was a result of Flashpoint but he'
Douglas Gibson
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a cute adaptation of the CW show, that would be perfect for kids 12-15ish, but had too many annoying inconsistencies and plot holes for me to totally forgive (and I am a huge Barry Lyga fan. He's one of my favorite YA authors) Flash in book form allows for more insight into these character's which is lots of fun, and also allows the author do things that the special effects budget of a TV show can't afford to do. The book lover in me also loves that they did not just opt to do a com ...more
Zuzana
I am a big fan of the DCTV shows produce by CW network - I think they have a great formula which just keeps on giving ! I’ve loved the Supergirl novel, so obviously I wanted to read The Flash novel too - but I have to say I didn’t find it as compelling as the Supergirl novel ! It was a little slow paced and slightly boring. But I loved how much time was taken by Wally aka Kid Flash ! I got to know him a little better ! And I’m going to read the rest of the novels too !
Gwen
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Irraya
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a nice short book based on the tv series. The charm of the tv series is the actors, which cannot be fully portrayed with words. However, Lyga does a pretty decent job and this was a fun read.

This book ends on a cliffhanger, and nothing is tied up by the end. I wasn't too happy about that. There is no indication of that anywhere, and I definitely wouldn't have read this book had I known. At least not until the final book is out.

Read this is you enjoy the tv series.
Sophie T
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the Flash TV Show, and I knew Barry Lyga is a fantastic author, so when I heard about this book I knew I needed to check it out. I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end, and would definitely recommend to any fans of The Flash, especially anyone who was unhappy with Season 3 of the series.
Jaymie
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m very impressed with this book. Takes place in an alternate universe from the show where Barry did NOT go back in time to save his mother. The villain in this is legit - lots of tension and suspense. I wasn’t sure how the team would fix things. Lots of threads left open for future books. Terrific for fans of the TV show.
RetroVirds
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like DC and all but I didn’t think this book would take my interests boy was I proven wrong. The book is action packed and detailed in the writing which I enjoy. I would give it 5 stars and I think and Flash fans would enjoy.
Eric Fisk
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Flows just like an episode of the show. How will Flash win against this foe, with his team of course. While I enjoyed reading it I feel the story was filled with unnecessary elements to fill the pages. Flash fans will enjoy it.
Lexi
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would! It was basically like reading an episode of the flash. It was well written and an interesting fast read. It definitely left me wanting more and I'm excited to get my hands on the next one when it comes out!
Jessica
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Absolutely love the CW show, and this book went really well along with it. The characters were great, and I enjoyed reading all of Barry's thoughts, and remarks about how a scientist thinks.
Kaylabookworm22 L
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I can't wait to read the next book!
Morgan
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s not like it’s high quality literature or anything, but it’s the Flash. :) I love these characters.
Dovile
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: keepers
Well written. A perfect book for teenagers, especially if they are scientifically inclined.
Leonie
  • Supergirl: Age of Atlantis
  • Black Panther: The Young Prince
  • Arrow - A Generation of Vipers
  • Marvel's Thor - The Dark World Prelude
  • Genesis (The Chronicles of Benjamin Dragon, #3)
  • The Christmas Party from the Black Lagoon
  • The Legend of Zelda: Legendary Edition, Vol. 5: Four Swords
  • Strange Visitors (Smallville, #1)
  • On The Books: A Graphic Tale of Working Woes at NYC's Strand Bookstore
  • Deck the Halls with Fudge (Candy-Coated, #5.5)
  • Dragon (Smallville, #2)
  • Power of the Heir's Passion (Andy Smithson, #0.5)
  • The Crimson Flame (Hardy Boys, #77)
  • Versailles - Le Rêve d'un Roi
  • Lara Croft, Tomb Raider: The Lost Cult (Lara Croft: Tomb Raider #2)
  • Attack of the Alien Horde
  • Road of Bones (Wolverine)
  • Salt (Falling in Deep, #1)
Barry Lyga is a recovering comic book geek. According to Kirkus, he's also a "YA rebel-author." Somehow, the two just don't seem to go together to him.

When he was a kid, everyone told him that comic books were garbage and would rot his brain, but he had the last laugh. Raised on a steady diet of comics, he worked in the comic book industry for ten years, but now writes full-time because, well, wou

The Flash (3 books)
  • The Flash: Johnny Quick
  • The Flash: The Tornado Twins (The Flash Book 3)