Start by marking “Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World” as Want to Read:
Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World

Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World

"Well-behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Pulitzer Prize-winning historian

Fresh, accessible, and inspiring, Shaking Things Up introduces fourteen revolutionary young women—each paired with a noteworthy female artist—to the next generation of activists, trail-blazers, and rabble-rousers. From the award-winning author of Ada’s Violin, Susan Hood,

Published January 23rd 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Shaking Things Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shaking Things Up

Start your review of Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World
Earl
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another inspiring biography collection of women who changed the world with a focus on younger rebel girls. There were a few I didn't know about so I was glad to read their stories. Includes a timeline and additional resources.
Carrie Gelson
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this title - so many other books it will lead you to - because you will want to learn more! Beautifully put together - so many of these illustrators are favourites of mine.
Bookishrealm
This book was AMAZING! I was so surprised about how much I didn't know. It focuses on letting little girls know and understand that they can be anything that they want to be and in a serious way. The 14 young women and girls in this book faced adversity, doubters, and even their lives to fight for what they loved most whether that was the opportunity to fly into space or find new inventive ways for cancer research. Each individual highlighted had a short free-verse poem and then their biography ...more
KC
I loved the back stories, the poems, and all the different illustrations!
Margie
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You want to stand up and cheer. It's as if everything you are taught to believe, everything you feel in your heart, is true. Their accomplishments are an inspiration. Their accomplishments changed and continue to alter conventional thought one woman at a time; bringing hope to other women then and now.

They dared to be different fueled by their knowledge and faith in themselves. Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed The World (Harper, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, January 23, 201
Sara
This is a wonderful collection of biographies in verse about important women in history. Some of the women are quite well known while others were explorations of lesser known heroines. I live that each biography is illustrated by a different female illustrator to powerful effect. The back matter is quite excellent too!

I would have given this book 5 stars if it was not for the glaring issue with the first biography of Molly Williams. It is stated that Williams was a servant but her status was li
Tracey
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a very female centric book. The book's subjects, editor, and artists are all women and I loved it. I was not expecting the stories about the young women to be poems but it was a pleasant surprise. My favorite poem was "Buried Treasure" about Mary Anning. It's in the shape of the fossil she discovered which was a very cool visual. I added some source materials to my to-read list. I hadn't heard of most these people and was a little interested to read more about a few of them.
Erin
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can't think of very many nonfiction poetry books. This one is pretty awesome. It definitely introduces readers to extraordinary women in a way that is a lot more fun than reading your average nonfiction book. The illustrations are great as well.
There is so much to love in this book: the artistry, the poetry, the women selected, and every single one of those womens’ accomplishments. I love the variety: firefighting, astronaut, investigative journalist, spy, advocate, architect, athlete, librarian & story teller, spies, and research scientist. Some names you’ll recognize but many you will have not heard before.

Wonderfully researched and carefully noted. Plus, there is a timeline and section of sources/additional resources. The story of e
Elizabeth
Mar 25, 2018 added it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: seen at Peabody Essex Museum gift shop
I don't tend to love picturebooks told in poetry, but I found these poems engaging (and you can learn more about the poetic styles Hood used on on the HarperCollins website). And there's some text at the bottom of each page providing more information about the woman in question.

And we get 13 different (women!) illustrators, so even though there's a single author, there's a variety of poetic and illustrative styles.

I think only 6 of the 14 women are white. Most are USian, though there's also Frid
Addison
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
Susan Hood, author of "Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World," wrote a beautiful tribute for each woman represented in this story. Throughout this book, each woman has a beautiful illustration and an inspirational poem. The poems tell the story of the paths the fourteen women blazed through, therefore opening doors open for other women. The styles of the poems vary for each woman, this showed the author's appreciation for their individuality. There were many women represented w ...more
Linda
Best known as a recording by Jerry Lee Lewis, this book reminds me of the song "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" by Dave "Curlee" Williams. And in this book, from the early 1730s to 2014, Susan Hood chronicles fourteen girls and women, also states it was hard to narrow the list to only fourteen. Wouldn't it be great to read this to students and have them search for other names to discover and write about?
I wish I could show you every page! While Susan Hood has written "just right" poems that tell
Andrew
This book is comprised as a series of short poems, illustration and a brief biography of each of these young women. All of whom changed the world before they were 30. These women are unique and though the book does touch on some names like 6 yr. old civil rights pioneer Ruby Bridges , or Latina artist, Frida Kahlo, Mae Jemison, the First African American Astronaut, or even current education activist, who was 17 years old when she became the youngest recipient of Nobel Peace Prize, Malala Yousafz ...more
Jana Gueck
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shaking Things Up is the best book. I was crying by the end. I love that it combines poetry and nonfiction, especially because my class just started talking about how diversity of the poetry genre. I am so excited to bring in a book and say, “look, poetry can be nonfiction too!”

My one gripe is this, and I think it is very important but should not color your entire opinion of the book. On page 9 it states that, “Williams was a servant of volunteer firefighter James Aymar.” Now, knowing that this
Katie Zajac
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
Informational
Grades 3rd and up

Shaking Things Up is a wonderful book about 14 young girls who had a lasting impact on the world. Each time you turn the page you are delighted with a wonderful illustration and a powerful in verse story about one of the 14 young girls included in this book.

I would use this in a fourth or fifth grade classroom, and read the book aloud to the class. Then I would assign one girl from the book to each group. They would then have to do a research project on that young
Chris
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shaking Things Up tells the stories of 14 young women who, through their persistence and determination, sparked change in the world and paved the way for the next generation of female trailblazers and activists.

Each character has a two page spread, one with her portrait by a well know artist, the other page with her story told in poetry format by Susan Hood. Each page looks different because the artist is different and the type of poetry is different. There are also a "mini biographies" at the
Madie Cook
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Genre: Collective Biography
Awards:
Audience: Grades 3-5
A. This book contains biographies and stories of 14 young women, so all of the biographies are partial, because it is only sharing a portion of each young woman's life.
B. These biographies are authentic biographies because these are actual things that these young girls/women did and experienced in their lives.
C. 1) How did Ruby Bridges stand up for segregation at such a young age? 2) What are all of these women doing today?
Kate
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
A great picture book that introduces extraordinary young women who helped change the world (and who still are). The illustrations are great, but the prose is better! Just a great intro to some truly kick ass women to help inspire a new generation!
Stacy Fetters
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
"Every choice we make can be a celebration in the world we want."

This celebrates 14 young women who changed the world. A very uplifting and powerful read of women who never backed down and didn’t take no for an answer.

Great read but wish it was in a different format.
Laura Harrison
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! This book is a dream. Short biographies of several different women who made a difference in the world. Each illustrated by an illustrator at the top of her field. A must read-must own!
Abigail (Abbe)
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
I love that this book focuses on YOUNG women. This book shows young girls that success is attainable and science is rewarding. The extra bonus was that each girl was illustrated by a different female artist.
MaryLibrarianOH
Brief history of some amazing women who broke down barriers for the next generation.
Kirsten
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every one. Girl power.
Denise
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book highlighting 14 amazing women and their accomplishments! Highly recommend!
Kristin MB
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great an inspiring picture book. I love the girls/young women chosen, the artwork that accompanies them, and the descriptions-written in verse-that tell their stories.
Shari
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
You need this book for Women's History Month. Written and illustrated by women, each mini-bio told in verse and motivates the readers to search and find out more about 14 amazing women in the book.
Noor
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite biography poetry books! Filled with information, inspirational quotes, and poetry.
Mercedes Wood
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-library
A really special book about really special women. It's fun, full of poems, informational and overall just cute.
Chelsie Taylor
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-390
I would love to read this informational text page by page to my students!
Leigha Underwood
-working women
-read small portions at a time
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Memphis, Martin, and the Mountaintop: The Sanitation Strike of 1968
  • Saturday
  • What Can a Citizen Do?
  • A Lady Has the Floor: Belva Lockwood Speaks Out for Women's Rights
I spent years getting to know little kids as a children's book and magazine editor at Sesame Workshop, Nick Jr. and Scholastic. Now I write children's picture books full time. Best job ever!

Recent books include: