Start by marking “The Rogue Prince (Sky Full of Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rogue Prince (Sky Full of Stars, #1)

The Rogue Prince

(Sky Full of Stars #1)

Starseer, pilot, and animal lover Jelena Marchenko wants to prove to her parents that she’s ready to captain her own freighter and help run the family business. When she finally talks them into getting a second ship and letting her fly it, it doesn’t faze her that the craft is decades old and looks like a turtle. This is the chance she’s craved for years.

But it’s not long
Published April 18th 2017 by Lindsay Buroker (first published April 16th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Rogue Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rogue Prince

Mei
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
Let's say that this book is a NA The Emperor's Edge with Jelena as Amaranthe and Thor as Sicuarius! LOL

Since I loved The Emperor's Edge series I couldn't NOT like this one too (even if NA is not my thing)!

The wonderful thing about Ms. Buroker's writing is the dialogue! Even in the most Dangerous situation there's Always some funny sarcasm, a chirpy banter going on! It's great and wonderful! At least for me!

Jelena and Erick (her engineer) are both Starseers and both have their unque mental powers
Sherwood Smith
Ever since the first mention of the younger generation during the Fallen Empire series, I hoped that they would get their own story. Well, here it is, and so far, it's hitting a lot of my favorite buttons in space opera.

Jelena Marchenko is a lot like her mother Alisa: now that she's eighteen, and is embarking on her very first trade journey in the family's new spaceship (which looks like a turtle), she has this great idea for a super quick side-journey to rescue some abused animals from a lab. I
Mandapanda
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Anyone who knows this author's writing knows what they're in store for. Adventure, interplanetary action, space ship chases, a lovable cast of characters and a very slow burn romance between an honorable fearless young woman and an emotionally closed off hero. Totally my jam. It's like the author is writing just for me. Don't start here. Start with the Fallen Empire series. The other gratifying thing about this author is that she writes fast!
Kay Dee
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 stars means it's ok. it's really 1 1/2 stars. parts were ok. parts i really didn't like.

Mad so many folks thought that the book was only ok, yet still gave it 3 stars. I looked at the ratings but didn't actually read many reviews until AFTER i read Smuggler Ship.
A LOT of 3 star reviews complained about the same things as the 1 and 2 star reviewers. They gave 3 stars anyway just cuz they like the author or hate giving 2 stars. That's not right and gives a false rating of over 90% people liking
Navdha
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wooohooooo!! It was sooo fun! Ms. Buroker's books are always so entertaining, action packed and full of such eccentric yet adorable characters that I keep coming back for more!

The Rogue Prince starts off ten years after the events of the last book in the Fallen Empire series End Game. Leonidas has more grays in his hair and is having to deal with the complications of being a cyborg at 50. Alisa's daughter Jelena is all grown up and is "helping" expand the family business by captaining an old, tu
Carl Phillips
Apr 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Like an idiot I broke my own rule and bought the first and second book in this series at the same time. I regret that a lot now, as I flat out hated this book.

Lets take a step back. My first experience of Lindsey Buroker was the Emperors Edge series. Which was a fun, well written series that I enjoyed. When the Fallen Empire series was released I was a little dismayed to see the same characters re-used. Alisa is a clone of Amaranthe, Leonides is a clone of Sicarius etc. Now I coped with that, a
Jon Spriggs
On paper, this is exactly up my street. It's psionics, in space, with spaceships. An exiled prince, cyborgs (kinda) and lots of space battles.

Except. It's a bit flat. The heroine is a bit soft. Her only concern (initially at least) is rescuing animals... OK, I can get behind that, aside from the fact that the only nod to that in the future is in a bit of banter, the presence of a pet dog and a one-line entry saying the animals are re-housed.

There's lots of discussion about underwear (and not bec
Isa Lavinia
This book only became interesting to me at the 50 something percent mark, which is unusual with any of Buroker's books. But after that it became amazing!

As usual I loved all the characters.
And while it feels like we're reading star wars fanfic, it's good star wars fanfic so that's ok.

I have to admit I don't have much patience for characters like Thor: the brooding, emotionally constipated assassin who is obsessed with his lady love.

I didn't like it with Sicarius and I doubt I'll like it with thi
C.M. Kane
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Okay, First off let me point out that I really enjoyed Lindsay's, Fallen Empire series, the predecessor to this book. It was enjoyable lighthearted and fun, with adventure and romance thrown into the mixture. This book how-ever, is not in the same league. I wanted to love this book, I really did. I was ready to embrace it with open arms (and wallet) -perhaps that was the problem, I was hoping for too much? So, let's get down to brass tacks, the good and the bad, well, first off, the good.
1:World
Denise
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-2017
Like mother, like daughter: Ten years after Endgame, Jelena Marchenko is 18 years old and ready and eager to head out on her own. To that end, she's persuaded her mother and stepfather to add another ship to their transport business and letting her captain it on a trial cargo run. The routine mission quickly ends up getting sidelined, however, when Jelena learns about an unscrupulous corporation's animal experiments that she is determined to stop. Of course, while "liberating" a bunch of lab ani ...more
Chanel
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The events of this story take place 10 years after the Fallen Empire series. Luckily, you don't have to read the previous series in order to follow along with this one but it wouldn't hurt to gain more back story especially about the world in which these events take place.

We open with Jelena Marchenko who has been given a chance at expanding the family freighter business. She has been given a new shuttle, named the Snapper (aptly named for its snapping turtle shape), and Erick Ostberg as her eng
Lorre
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jelena Marchenko is every bit as bonkers and reckless as her mom Alisa (from the Fallen Empire series.
And Ostberg is a great sidekick to help get her out of the trouble she gets herself in.
Love the banter between the two!
Jenny Koch
I was mildly concerned after reading about an assassin hero that this would be Emperor's Edge - In Space! (with a bonus childhood friends plot line!) - but the young cast and the "search for self" theme common in young adult books added a whole new dimension to the tale. I grew tired of the Fallen Empire series by the last few books but this new generation series has caught my attention.
Mitchell
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I picked up this book after reading Buroker's short story in the "Orphans in the Black" sci-fi anthology. That short story was set after this book, so I sort of had a good idea how it would end generally, but it didn't detract from the story too much. This series is also set after another series with, I believe, the previous generation of this group and their adventures. Those stories reverberate through this one, and while Buroker says that you do not need to have read the previous series befor ...more
Diane
Amazon 3.5; Goodreads 3.2: "I liked it"

I enjoy all of Lindsay Buroker's books, with fun, well-written action and dialogue, following likable leads, but this heroine does feel awfully young. (I know: she *IS*.) Her impulsive plans end up with quite a bit of collateral damage, and consequences that she'll be dealing with (along with her family) for some time.

I'll also have to see where the series goes with Thorian's character. Currently, I tend to agree with Erick that they shouldn't really have
David P. Duffy
"Fallen Empire" Knockoff for Teens and Millennials, Not Grownups

"The Rogue Prince (Sky Full of Stars, Book 1)," is the start of a series, based upon the "Fallen Empire" series, and apparently aimed at a different reading audience-teens, Millennial ersatz adults, animal rights zealots, to name a few.

The author, Miss Lindsay Buroker, is a very able writer, who is adept at moving a plot, a narrative, forward, and in an entertaining manner. However, in "The Rogue Prince," the skills and talents poss
Cathi Shaw
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book, I wasn't so sure about it. But before long I found myself hooked! Jelena is a feisty and hilarious main character. She's a pilot of her own freighter (well, temporary pilot) and she has a passion for helping less fortunate beings: especially animals. That's what starts the adventure: her decision to free lab animals who are being held captive and tortured by an independent research company.

One escapade follows another after she makes the fateful decision t
Llaph
So I'm on the fence when it comes to this one. I'm not too thrilled by Jelena's non-violent mentality and crazy cat-person animal lover persona. I loved Erick when he was first introduced in the previous series as a thrust bike rider. Getting a better sketch on him as a person has been amusing. I like how he is Jelena's sort of balance at times.
Thorian ... I mean okay the broody (many that is said a lot in this book) got a tad old. He makes me think he got brain-washed by Alejandro and his ilk.
Anna
Heike
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sifi
Jelena, 18 year old daughter of Alisa, gets her own ship in the family business to do freight runs. Instead she rescues lab animals and hunts her childhood friend Thor, former Empire prince, down, who revengefully assassinates his presumed enemies. He seems to have unlimited starseer powers, and uses them also to pry into personal thoughts, which he doesn't even hide, which is rude and intrusive. Jelena is very young, immature, irresponsible, ungrateful, and I do not like her, thus I have a toug ...more
Travis
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Great stuff here. I'm of course partial to the whole space scene, so this stuff is right up my alley, but this was well done. A bit rough here and there, but that could just be the character of the prince being his character. Even so, I fully intend to read more in this series. I liked the one other book I read in the empire series, but I liked this one better. I hope the prince takes a page from the main character, and works to curb his tendencies, but who knows, we'll see in the next installme ...more
Artifact
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Well written but somewhat disappointing characters and plotline. The series is blatantly formulaic and is more-or-less the same characters and plot as the Fallen Empire. Details differ, but you have the quirky captain, the broody sidekick, the genius but oddball engineer, etc, who unexpectedly get themselves wrapped up in universe wide issues. And those issues aren't all that interesting. The setup for the 4th book has a bit more depth. Overall they read like YA books, which is not necessarily a ...more
Tanya
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good start

Good start to a new series. The prospect of enjoying adventures with Jelena, Erick, & Thorian was enough to get me reading this new series. Just as with the Fallen Empire series, this first book starts out by colelcting the crew of the Snapper while going through a couple of misadventures. I'm definitely reading the next book. Gotta see where this goes: does Thorian give up his quest for vengeance, does Stellacore come after Masika, and what about the romance that's always in Linds
Adrienne
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a 3 star book but the Epilogue bumped it to 3.5. I really like Buroker's books but the characters are usually older and likeable. This book is about an 18 year old girl who was obnoxious, naive, and selfish. It was very disappointing since I really liked The Fallen Empire Series. It was nice to find out what happened to those characters but if you haven't read that series, I would think this book would be confusing.

I received an eARC for an honest review.
kartik narayanan
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this book up due to two reasons. The first reason is because its author is Lindsay Buroker. The second reason is that this new series is a follow-up of the Fallen Empire series, which I liked. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into this book. The starseers were always second rate jedi in their conception but they were toned down in the earlier series. Here, they become full blow jedi. This is not bad per se but it somehow reduced the amount into which I was involved.
Sara
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a bad book but I started to lose interest towards the end. I loved the banter and wit between characters. However, the plot started to get a bit tedious after the random "lets haunt the bad medical company, so they will decide to leave us alone" idea.
mirba
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sci-fi
What does it says about a book if two days after finishing three in the series you cannot remember what it was about reading the title?
I just strongly remember how much I dislike the heroine.
Cali
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it
It was decent. I enjoyed the characters but was expecting a bit more. From the plans, the powers, and the motives.
Joy
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera
Great fast-paced space opera with cute characters. I liked this so much that I had to go back and read all the Fallen Empire books to get the full backstory.
Julie
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this will be a good series. Took me a while to warm up to this book since I liked the Fallen Empire series so much and missed those characters.

• Destiny's Song (The Fixers of KarmaCorp, #1)
  • Born (The Dire Saga, #1)
  • A Clockwork Fairytale
  • The Tracker's Dilemma (Mandrake Company #6)
  • Steamsworn (Steamborn, #3)
  • Jack Strong
  • Ash (Hell Squad, #14)
  • The Agent Gambit (Liaden Universe, #9-10)
  • Accord of Honor (Accord #1)
  • Space Boy Volume 1 (Space Boy, #1)
  • Anvil of Tears (The Reforged, #1)
  • The Empress Capsule (Audacity Saga, #1)
  • Alien Zookeeper's Abduction (Alien Abduction, #1)
  • Hera (Elei's Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Saving Askara (Tori & Aderus #1)
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.

Sky Full of Stars (3 books)
  • Angle of Truth (Sky Full of Stars, #2)
  • Stolen Legacy (Sky Full of Stars, #3)