Start by marking “Lights Out Summer” as Want to Read:
Lights Out Summer

Lights Out Summer (Coleridge Taylor Mystery #4)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  12 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In March 1977, ballistics link murders going back six months to the same Charter Arms Bulldog .44. A serial killer, Son of Sam, is on the loose. But Coleridge Taylor can’t compete with the armies of reporters fighting New York’s tabloid war—only rewrite what they get. Constantly on the lookout for victims who need their stories told, he uncovers other killings being ignore ...more
Published October 1st 2017 by Camel Press

To ask other readers questions about Lights Out Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lights Out Summer

Skip
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once again, author Zahradnik takes us back in time to the 1970s in New York City: sights, sounds, economics, politics, crime, race, society, etc. Reporter Coleridge Taylor refuses to be a lemming and report on the Son of Sam murders, choosing instead to investigate the death of a college-educated black woman working temporarily as a maid for a Park Avenue family after quitting her real job because of sexual harassment. Was it a case of mistaken identity or something she overheard in the apartmen ...more
Lissette
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Determined to become more than what he is now, Coleridge Taylor sets out to find the juiciest stories taking place in the world around him. He knows that doing so is risky. There are parts of the city no man—or woman, for that matter—should set foot in. Despite this fact, he's willing to do everything possible to uncover the secrets behind the city's most unexpected and unanswered murders. Somehow, some way, he'll set all wrongs to right, or die trying in the process.

Rich has done it again. Ligh
Shomeret
I received this novel free of charge as a review copy. I have not read the previous three books, but I never felt that I was missing anything important. So I think that it's possible to read Lights Out Summer first.

I lived in New York in 1977 therefore I can confirm that at the time, the overwhelming majority of column inches in NYC newspapers devoted to local crime did seem to be covering the Son of Sam murders. Zahradnik's hero took the road less traveled because he wanted to do some original
Dogsandbooks
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
WOW! That rarest of unicorns, a fabulous new author I knew nothing about. Really great, a 4.5 star rating. Great characters, super atmosphere, believable twisty plot, interesting and believable investigator. Super impressed, want to read more by this author. DPL book. Read in ONE sitting (fortunately I had a Sunday to myself!)
InD'tale Magazine
Rich Zahradnik’s gritty writing allows the reader to feel he is with Taylor going into rough territory in New York, digging to get his story.

Read full review in the 2017 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Darryl Greer
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Lights Out Summer" is #4 in a series of mystery novels by Rich Zahradnik featuring crime reporter Coleridge Taylor. This episode is set in 1970s New York City at the time of the infamous ‘Son of Sam’ murders. It’s summer and with a serial killer on the loose the city’s inhabitants are not only feeling warm but nervous. Every reporter in the city, if not the country is following the police investigation into the murders, taking little interest in crimes, even capital ones, of less notoriety. But ...more
Faith Flaherty
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Coleridge Taylor Mysteries are about a newspaper reporter who is interested in solving the murders no one cares about. Lights Out Summer by Rich Zahradnik is the latest Coleridge Taylor mystery.

Taylor works for a news wire. The large, flashy newspapers cover the big news. They seek the sensational, the latest titillation that the public seems to clamor over. But Taylor would rather find the story of the people who interest him the most, like Martha Gibson.

Martha was a hard working young woma
Tony
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, novels, setting-nyc
Although I normally insist on reading mystery series in order, I somehow failed to notice that this was the fourth book in the "Coleridge Taylor" series, and so jumped on in. The appeal of the book was the setting, New York in 1977, smack dab in the middle of the heyday of urban decay, as the city was teetering on financial (and social) collapse. The story is also set amidst the hysteria of the "Summer of Sam" -- when the deranged David Berkowitz was shooting people canoodling in cars.

The series
Wanda C
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A heart thumper about a serial killer. The twists were many, and the ending was a surprise! Just when I thought I knew who the killer was, I read on and discovered I was wrong. The main character Taylor ( a reported who edits/rewrites news events) is the brave, bold, and pretty lucky.

Based on a five-star rating, I give it five stars!
1) Buy from the author in the future? Yes
2) Did it keep me intrigued? Yes
3) Story line adventurous, mysterious, and believable? Yes
4) Would I recommend to a family m
Calvin Tower
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I am loving this book. The author expertly intertwines historical events with knowledge of the time period to weave the gritty narrative. The plot revolves around a reporter investigating the murder of a black woman which is largely ignored due to the juicer Son of Sam murders currently taking place.
Heather Richter
May 01, 2017
Karen
May 10, 2017
Rich Zahradnik
May 21, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-by-me
Shelley
Nancy Jones
Leanne Grondin
Jul 07, 2017

Rich Zahradnik is the Shamus Award-nominated author of the critically acclaimed Coleridge Taylor Mystery series (LIGHTS OUT SUMMER, A BLACK SAIL, DROP DEAD PUNK, LAST WORDS).

LIGHTS OUT SUMMER is nominated for a 2018 Shamus Award by the Private Eye Writers of America in the category of Best Original Private Eye Paperback. The first t
More about Rich Zahradnik

Coleridge Taylor Mystery (4 books)
  • Last Words (Coleridge Taylor Mystery #1)
  • Drop Dead Punk (Coleridge Taylor Mystery #2)
  • A Black Sail (Coleridge Taylor Mystery #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99