Start by marking “Conduct Unbecoming (Conduct Unbecoming, #1)” as Want to Read:
Conduct Unbecoming (Conduct Unbecoming, #1)

Conduct Unbecoming

(Conduct Unbecoming #1)

First class petty officer Eric Randall is less than thrilled about taking orders to Okinawa. Three long, lonely years on a crappy island thats thousands of miles from his daughter? Oh. Yeah. Sign him up. But as long as hes stuck here, he might as well make the best of it, so he discreetly checks out the local gay scene, where he meets Shane Connelly.

What starts as a one
Kindle Edition, Second edition, 353 pages
Published March 14th 2017 (first published October 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Conduct Unbecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conduct Unbecoming

Start your review of Conduct Unbecoming (Conduct Unbecoming, #1)
Monique
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
Two Hot Military Alpha Males ~ Just needed more angst to satisfy my needs!...

tumblr_mac796x38b1ry31rwo1_500_zpsaf5565ac

"Dude Okinawa is a fucking shit-hole"

Those were the words ringing in Eric's ears as he departs for a three year tour of the Japanese Island. Three years in a foreign country where he doesn't know the language - and, they drive on the wrong side of the road! Three years without his daughter and three years on a small Island where being Gay is more conspicuous than not!

Lonely and in need of male company and not just
Martin
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-m-m
I actually liked this story. I really did.

description

Two gorgeous guys, both of them dads in their 30s, sizzling sex, rippling muscles glistening with sweat as they rub against each other

And yet

description

This story was dry like the Sahara desert

Eric is an enlisted Navy cop and gets assigned to the island of Okinawa in Japan. Missing his daughter (who lives with the ex-wife) he is miserable and lonely and decides to find company in a gay bar.

The guy he meets there is Shane, a Navy officer, and its basically love at
Jan
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a bit on top of the fence here.
The MCs were great and scorching hot together! Both divorced and with kids.
The background created behind the family drama felt realistic.
I liked the way the author shows how different was the relationship of both guys with their kids.
However, the Island history made this too boring for me. There was a lot of info about Okinawa (food, drinks, culture, what to see). The author gives a chance to discover this tiny Island with Eric - the MC, who just moved over
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

I much prefer LA Witt's older stuff...and I'm not sure how this one passed me by. I thought it was pretty good. The pace was a bit slow and it was at times too much about Okinawa. But I quite liked the MCs.

It reminded me a lot of LA Witt's newer series - Anchor Point. Quite a few similarities.

Low on the angst and high on the steam.

I never read the original version so not sure of the differences...but I would recommend this one.
Simsala
2,5 stars

Oops!
M/m-sex in a guidebook of Okinawa?
How naughty...

I got a vivid picture of Okinawa told from the viewpoints of two military guys trying to keep their love-affair a secret, having sex at every opportunity and discussing family stuff like kids and ex- wives
A plot was nowhere to be found...

2 stars for the story,
3 stars for the guidebook.(Rating would be higher if I had bought it as such...)
Christelle
This is the story of Shane and Eric, 2 very hot military men based in Okinawa, dealing with hiding their relationship because of DADT.

As soon as they meet, you can feel their deep attraction, even though it put them both at risk. The chemistry is there for sure. Its HOT. In addition, you get a great description of Okinawa (made me want to plan a trip there) and of the impact of military on families.

In short, I loved it.

PS : I reread it - still one of my favorite
Richard
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aaa
I just realized this was my first LA Witt book (where the fuck have I been) and it certainly wont be my last.
It was clear Ms Witt has lived on Okinawa and although the book at times bordered on travel log it made me want to go. I have spent time in Tokyo and her description of the back alleys filled with small narrow bars and cafes brought back wonderful memories. REALLY nice memories.

Even though it's post DADT, Shane and Eric's story sadly showed the challenges gay military men and women still
Dia
3,5 stars

This story was hot and interesting, low on angst, but it felt too long. We get SO many Okinawa descriptions, places, food, drinks.

Erik and Shane were extremely HOT together but I just got enough of the forbidden and hidden relationship. And I got pretty disappointed with the HFN ending. I wanted so much more.
MLE
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, lendle
A wonderful, and mature love story. I really liked both Eric, and Shane. It was refreshing to read a story about grown men who act like adults. I like that Eric has a solid relationship with his ex wife, and daughter, and that Shane doesn't spend all his time talking about how his ex was the villain who broke his heart. It's nice to see fully developed women in an mm romance. I also liked that they didn't fall instantly in love, there was lust to be sure, but it took time for the men to get to ...more
Ariana
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Darn, I had no idea how strict and 'savage' the rules for military personal is when is comes to befriending others.
Officers and enlisted guys can't be seen with each other? Can't talk or hang out together? What is this all about? I mean the implication is that something like this could have serious repercussions . Obviously I am totally ignorant, but why is such a rule in place or necessary? What is the problem? If anyone knows, please enlighten me!

Considering that, you can imagine what would
Jo
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jo by: Valerie ~Varuca~
description
I get lost in these books that really do take you away. My only experience with Okinawa Japan previously was the Karate Kid 2. With so many places I want to visit in this world, Okinawa was not even a blip.

L.A. Witt takes you on such a descriptive tour of the Island with Eric and Shane that I felt like I was sightseeing vicariously through them.
Eric and Shane are both serving long tours on the island away from their kids, their culture and for Eric even his language. You feel the isolation and
Tami
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one. I liked how much colour and detail it had. Both MCs were very likable and I loved the easy banter and sense of humour, especially with the daughter of one of the MCs. A really good love story - extra points for SLOW development of feelings after the hot hot gymnastics! I really appreciate this kind of structure, because to me it feels much more realistic and keeps a bit of tension in the story.
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
A Lovely Military Love Story~

Of Shane & Eric~

THIS MILITARY LOVE AFFAIR WAS PURE SWEETNESS!

★Shane's POV alternating with Eric's POV

★Funny Spots...I LMAO...

★The Snorkeling, It Was Written Descriptively Beautiful.

★The Tone...No Angst, An Easy Read.

AND....OMG, THERE ARE SO MANY PRECIOUS QUOTES BUT THE ONE BELOW IS MY FAVORITE

"God, I'd missed this place.(Incoming Text Message)...."Parked in E2"

A.

Almost. Almost. God,...why couldn't
Nichole (DirrtyH)
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2012
This book was really dull. Other reviewers have described it as a guide book to Okinawa with a bunch of gay sex, and that is 100% accurate. There's a lot of boring stuff about their kids and a lot of snorkeling and visiting islands and castles and stuff. Stuff that would have been good in a movie, but not so much in a book. I skimmed most of it. In addition to the complete lack of plot or anything interesting to keep the reader hooked, the two main characters were entirely interchangeable. I had ...more
Sheri
Haurmph
Have I got a bone to pick with you.
Wait! Have you read this yet?
No? Ohh, well then you're off the hook.
Yes? How could you? I thought you were my friend?
*whispers...I'm not really grumpy, just go with it*
My name is written ALL over this book...and nobody told me.
Now that I look closer, it's there...S.H.E.R.I. Yep, it's screaming for me to pick it up...and love it. *sigh* And I finally listened.
Why exactly is this *my* kinda book?
Well, let's see.....

Sexy men in uniforms.
Happy happy
Otila
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-lendable
The warning from the publisher pretty much sums it up:

Contains two military boys who keep forgetting they're not supposed to be together. Probably because they never have their uniforms on for any length of time...

Eric and Shane are stationed in Okinawa. They meet at a club and have an instant attraction. Their one night stand quickly turns into more. The problem is that Shane is an officer and Eric is enlisted. Their fraternizing falls under conduct unbecoming. Now they must decide if this
Angela
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Seriousely, I think I posted more status updates for this story, than any I've read before! Both of the MC's were very likeable and had some amazing chemistry, in and out of the bedroom. Although I must admit, I was a little more partial to Eric over Shane (what? *shrugs* Millitary Police, in uniform, turn me on...lol!). And Eric's daughter, Marie, was hilarious! In the end, it was a low angst, funny, steamy ride, that I'm very happy I took!
DaisyGirl
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this well enough. I want to visit Okinawa like crazy! Witt's descriptions of the islands' attractions painted a stunning landscape of white sandy beaches, old castle ruins, amazing sunsets, and wonderful people. As an m/m romance, this book was alright. Eric and Shane were likeable enough. I enjoyed their maturity. I LOVED that the women (i.e., Eric and Shane's exes) weren't complete bitches. I didn't like the constant, ulcer-creating, stress of worrying that someone will
Ricardo
Aug 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read about a third of this and had to give up, DNF

Maybe Im being unfair with this review and this book is paying the price for some of the other stuff Ive read lately, but this story did absolutely nothing for me. The two main characters (Eric and Shane) are deployed to Okinawa in Japan and from the way they talk and the very long internal monologues, it would appear the only thing that brightens their life is to find a good lay. I like stories where sex is fun and exciting and where it is not
♣️ Lynda ♣️
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shane and Eric are hot hot hot!! Loved this book.
Jewel
Hot. Very hot.

Eric and Shane are both in the Navy, currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan. Shane has been stationed there off and on for several years. Eric has just arrived for the first time. Eric did not want to be in Japan, so far from his daughter, for three years. He has also been told it's a dump, that it is completely Americanized, etc. Not much to look forward to, right?

After being in Okinawa for a couple weeks, Eric decides to check out the local gay scene. He could really use the
Shelley
Flip flopping points of view of repeat scenes in the first person, really tends to annoy me when there isn't much substance.

The first 25% of this novel had potential. The chemistry is undeniably steaming, and the sex was erotic and delicious. I enjoyed the back drop of Okinawa and what the different cultures have to offer, but I need more than that to pin me down. There is only so much of the wonders of Japan to keep me interested.
Unfortunately the following 25% of enduring the format and not
CrabbyPatty
Okay, I want to go to Okinawa. Witt really does an excellent job in describing the island(s), the history and sites. Witt also gives some insight into the life of military Americans, DADT, long-distance parenting, etc. She develops a great foundation on which to build the story.

The romance is smokin' HOT and the characters of Eric and Shane are really well-devoloped as their romance gradually unfolds. Both MCs are adults, and Eric has a great relationship with his ex-wife and daughter and
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, ebook
What I loved: Both guys. They were equally sexy and funny, and the chemistry between them was smokin. Eric's relationship with his ex and his daughter was fun to read. Shane had a few more issues with his family, but I enjoyed their interactions as well.

What I didn't quite love: The use of all the military titles got tiresome, as did some of the parts that were a bit too descriptive. I found myself wanting to skip ahead to the next round of dialog. It also got a bit tedious hearing them talk on
Debra
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-mercs, m-m
3.5 stars.
Loved Shane and Eric's story and the chemistry between the MC's. Got a little bogged down in the details of the island and actually skimmed some of the travelogue style descriptions after a while. Would have rather had more time with the characters.

I felt that there was so much more to explore with the storyline and the ending was kind of rushed. Would love to see a sequel as I felt the ending was more a HFN with so much more story that can be told.

Silkeeeeeereads
A guided tour of Okinawa. An officer and an enlisted meet, fall in lust and then fall in love. There is a lot of jumping around to all the sites with great description on the sites to see. If you enjoy that kind of book, you'll enjoy this. It's a sweet M/M love story with some steamy sex.
Lasha
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jessewave, kids, military

First Class Petty Officer Eric Randall is a single man who just got stationed in Okinawa, Japan for three years. Having just come back from a tour in the Middle East, hes not very happy about his assignment because it will take him away from his teenage daughter. So, hes angry, determined to hate Okinawa and trying to figure out his new job as a supervisor of security forces (they are called Master-at-Arms or MAs). Add in the fact, hes gay, he wonders how hes ever going to find some
Awilk -never sleeps-
Lead me not into temptation, for I know the way myself.

This is the story of two military men serving in Okinawa. One is an enlisted man. The other is an officer. They meet when Eric first arrives for a three year stint. The attraction if instant and not something they deny. I did like how this lust for each other slowly turned to much more.

Shane and Eric both understand that what they are doing is extremely dangerous to their careers. This knowledge doesn't stop them. Slowly the feelings grow.

So
Susan65
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-jen
There were parts of this that were a 5 star and parts that were a 3, so I settled for 4 stars.

Loved: Both Shane and Eric are freaking amazing...both big, strong, alpha navy men. Scorching hot sex scenes that burned up the pages on my Nook.

Enjoyed: The interaction between Shane and Eric and his daughter Marie.

Enjoyed: The suspense of not knowing how they were gonna get caught. I personally think it's quite dumb to not allow "enlisted" and "officers" to fraternize? How is that "Conduct Unbecoming

• Fit to be Tied (Marshals, #2)
  • Adore (Men of Hidden Creek - Season 2, #6)
  • Tied Up in Knots (Marshals, #3)
  • Taboo for You (Love and Family, #1)
  • First Season (Harrisburg Railers, #2)
  • Tigers and Devils (Tigers and Devils #1)
  • A Hard Call (Stonewall Investigations, #1)
  • All Kinds of Tied Down (Marshals, #1)
  • Deep Edge (Harrisburg Railers, #3)
  • Here Comes Trouble (Nothing Special, #3)
  • Natural Enemies
  • Shane and Trey (Enemies to Lovers #1)
  • His Saint (Forever Wilde #5)
  • Borrowing Blue (Made Marian, #1)
  • Safe and Sound (Twist of Fate, #2)
  • City Boy (Hot Off the Ice, #1)
  • Three's Company
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
L.A. Witt and her husband have been exiled from Spain and sent to live in Maine because rhymes are fun. She now divides her time between writing, assuring people she is aware that Maine is cold, wondering where to put her next tattoo, and trying to reason with a surly Maine coon. Rumor has it her arch nemesis, Lauren Gallagher, is also somewhere in the wilds of New England, which is why L.A. is ...more

Conduct Unbecoming (2 books)
  • General Misconduct (Conduct Unbecoming, #2)