Start by marking “Last Breath (Good Daughter, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Last Breath (Good Daughter, #0.5)

Last Breath

(The Good Daughter #0.5)

The fantastic prequel to The Good Daughter, the stunning new standalone from the No. 1 bestselling author of the Will Trent and Grant County series.

Protecting someone always comes at a cost.

At the age of thirteen, Charlie Quinn’s childhood came to an abrupt and devastating end. Two men, with a grudge against her lawyer father, broke into her home – and after that shocking
Published July 11th 2017 by Witness Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Last Breath, please sign up.
Jayna I actually read them out of order- and I'm glad I did.
I actually read them out of order- and I'm glad I did.
Some of Charlie's past is revealed in Last Breath that came as a surprise during The Good Daughter. I'm glad it was a surprise :) (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
PirateSteve You raise two very good points.
On the first one we are given no explanation at all ... plot flaw as I see it.
I see no reasonable explanation of the s…more
You raise two very good points.
On the first one we are given no explanation at all ... plot flaw as I see it.
I see no reasonable explanation of the second point either, although it could be said that not all rehabs are in house, a stretch at best.(less)

Start your review of Last Breath (Good Daughter, #0.5)
Deanna
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I had just started reading THE GOOD DAUGHTER, when I happened to come across this prequel to the novel. I decided to stop reading TGD and read this first. I'm happy that I did.

Protecting someone always comes at a cost.

Charlie Quinn was just thirteen years old when a sudden act of violence changed her life forever. In many ways she blamed her lawyer father for what happened. However, she still ends up becoming a lawyer hersel
PirateSteve
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prequel to "The Good Daughter", an introduction to some of the characters and a fun little legal thriller all on it's own .... with Thin Mints and Tagalongs.

page 15
Attorney Charlotte (Charlie) Quinn meets Honor-Student, Girl Scout Flora
"What's your name?'
"Flora Faulkner," she said. "My mom named me Florabama, because I was born on the state line, but I go by Flora."
"Charlie smiled, but only because she knew that she was going to laugh about this later with her husband. "There are worse thing
Mary Beth
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it

I usually do not like to read novella's but I just loved this one. It was the best one that I read. Karin Slaughter is one of my favorite authors. This novella is only 176 pages long. The characters were well crafted and the plot was amazing. Charlie is a very realistic main character. We wonder, as she does, what is really going on. The plot was very well crafted. The layers of deceit and manipulation were so well designed, Slaughter had me wondering what was going on until the very end. I am r
*TANYA*
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick glimpse into a major character of The Good Daughter. I cannot wait to read that book!!!
Rachel Hall
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Last Breath is the prequel to The Good Daughter, the 2017 released standalone by Karin Slaughter and introduces the character of twenty-eight-year-old defence attorney Charlie Quinn. Having shunned the big bucks of the Atlanta and New York law firms after gaining a degree from Duke University Charlie Quinn has returned to her hometown of down at heel Pikeville to help the ordinary people who need representation and whose voices often go unheard. Happily married for five years to Ben Bernard, a l ...more
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

Last Breath by Karin Slaughter was a nice prequel to The Good Daughter that basically ends on a cliffhanger. Unfortunately for me, I read them pretty far apart so I don't really remember what happens in The Good Daughter in association with what happens in Last Breath. I would recommend reading this either right before TGD, or right after if you are going to read it at all.

What it's about: Charlie Quinn is a lawyer whose mother was brutally murdered when she was just 13. She ends up
Gary
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Last breath by Karin Slaughter is an excellent prequel to her novel 'The Good Daughter'.
Charlie Quinn's childhood ended abruptly when at the age of thirteen two men, with a grudge against her lawyer father, broke into her home changed her world forever.
Now a lawyer herself, Charlie has made it her mission to defend those with no one else to turn to. So when Flora Faulkner, a motherless teen, begs for help, Charlie is reminded of her own past, and is powerless to say no.
Student Flora is in deeper
Brenda
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read the prequel to Pretty Girls and found it to be a great introduction to the missing character in that book. So I thought it'd be worthwhile to read Last Breath, the prequel to The Good Daughter, and I was right. Karin Slaughter writes a strong and interesting peek into the life of Charlie Quinn. It's not necessary to read this first, but it is an added dimension to the main event.
Last Breath is a fairly short novella marketed as the prequel to Karin Slaughter's August 2017 new release: The Good Daughter. If the purpose of this prequel was to get readers eager and ready for the main attraction then job well-done! It's emotional, meaningful, intriguing, thrilling, innocent, dark, and shocking. It does not feel like a short-story. It is a full open and close experience in my opinion. My jaw is still dropped and I'm about to strangle the library user who has got the only cop ...more
Karla
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it

Another fantastic read by Karin slaughter. This one was on the shorter side but still really good.

In "Last Breath" we see Charlie at the beginning of her career as a defense lawyer where she meets a young girl who is need of her help. This case touches Charlie's heart since her motherless client reminds her of the loss of her own mother.
She finds herself caught in this case full of twist and turns where she doesn't know where it will take care.

It was good seeing this side of Charli
Selene
Great short story to read but without the intensity and family drama so prominent in The Good Daughter. ...more
Krystin Rachel
I'm just so fucking happy to be able to spend a little bit more time with Charlie and Rusty.

The Good Daughter was one of those books for me, that even though it was 500+ pages, it felt too short. I didn't want it to end.

So with Last Breath, I get just a little bit more time. And time, as they say, will heal a broken heart.

I guess what I'm really saying is that reading Karin Slaughter breaks my heart. SHE'S SO FUCKING GOOD AND I LOVE HER SO MUCH.

Sorry.

So many times we read short stories/novell
Brenda
Lawyer Charlie Quinn was feeling decidedly unwell when fifteen year old Girl Scout Flora Faulkner offered to help – but once she had recovered and Flora was asking for her help in her capacity as a lawyer, Charlie couldn’t refuse. Her vow since she was thirteen was to always help people in need, and Flora most definitely was one of those…

As Charlie met with the various people in Flora’s life, she was horrified at what was in front of her. But on the other hand, what was the truth? Was Flora in m
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
Only Slaughter can take 176 pages and give you this roller-coaster ride that I've just experience.

In preparation for her new standalone novel The Good Daughter; Slaughter wrote a little prequel on the what I believe will be the main character.
If this is what The Good Daughter will be like, I'm not sure I'm emotionally ready for it. But I'm intrigued beyond the comprehension of words.
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a great prequel to The Good Daughter! I expected it to be an in-depth introduction to characters, with maybe a brief story or cliffhanger. But I was blown away to delve into an entire story all its own. It’s about a 4 hour audiobook & has made me even more excited to jump into The Good Daughter (an 18 hour audio!) I cant wait to see how this episode in Charlie’s life will affect or have to do with what happens later..
Yeah I gotta say, I really enjoyed this whole prequel thing- id love to s
Lorraine Southern
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a prequel to Slaughter's the Good Daughter, I sat on this until I had the latter downloaded and ready to go on my ereader!
This author is up there with the best, she's one of the few whose books I'll buy without even reading the blurb, and this little novella was a great intro to her 3rd standalone novel.
Which I am reading next.
So, no interruptions please for the next 3 or 4 days or so ;)
Katie
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I adore Charlie as a character but this plot was a bit bland.
Mo
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
It was an introduction to Charlie from The Good Daughter but, honestly, I don't see the need for it!
Andrea
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Another great book from Karin slaughter.short story part of the characters in her other book the good daughter.love her books still a few to read.
Marianne
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Last Breath is a prequel to The Good Daughter, a stand-alone (?) novel by American author, Karin Slaughter. Lawyer Charlotte Quinn wasn't planning to do any more pro bono work: she already has a client who owes her two grand. But Florabama Faulkner's appeal for help strikes a chord with Charlie. This girl lost her mother at a young age too, and she has hopes of doing what would make her mother proud: going to college. But her guardians are her grandparents, a couple who seem intent on working th ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
In this short story, we get to know Charlie, one of the main characters in The Good Daughter. I instantly liked her, and her nerdy husband Ben and of course, Charlie's father Rusty, a lawyer that had no problem representing vile criminals.

When Charlie was thirteen did her life change forever when two men broke into their home. Now, is she working as a lawyer herself and when a young girl called Flora Faulkner begs her to help her is she taken in by the girl's sad story. But, it turns out that n
Linda Strong
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
LAST BREATH is the prequel to THE GOOD DAUGHTER, which will be available on Amazon on August 8, 2017.

LAST BREATH introduces the reader to Attorney Charlie Quinn. When Charlie was a young teenager, her mother was murdered by people with a grudge against her father .. also an attorney.

Because of her loss, she has made it a personal mission to defend those that have no one else to help. When Flora Faulkner, also a motherless teen, begs for help, Charlie cannot say no.

Flora is in deep, deep, troubl
Barbara
3.5*
A little background story for the future read of The Good Daughter. A quick read with a good storyline, but most importantly it sets up the main character for the next book.
Terence M (Restored Disposition ;)
Audiobook - 04:00 Hours - Narrator: Kathleen Early
2Stars out of 5.0 "It was ok"

I have read/listened to a few 'novellas' by established authors and generally I don't like them. I think they are mostly unsatisfactory 'thought/idea bubbles' that failed to make the grade as full-sized books; or failed to be included in the writing of a full-sized book; or, as I think is the case with this 'prequel', "Last Breath", used to add some extra dimension to a character of a book already written.

Charlotte Q
♥ Sandi ❣
4 stars

This is the prequel to the series Good Daughter. It is a short novella featuring Attorney Charlie Quinn.
After a bad childhood, Charlie follows in her fathers footsteps and becomes an attorney. She is very sensitive to people who have no where to turn and because of that ends up with a teenage client, Flora Faulkner. Taken in by Flora's disastrous story, Charlie learns things are not always as they seem.
Having read parts of the Will Trent series, I found this novella to be very good. I e
Sonja Arlow

3 1/2 stars

This is the prequel to The Good Daughter and focuses on Charlie assisting a 17-year-old girl that wants legal emancipation from her grandparents. It’s an interesting case and you get a taste of the dark secrets that Charlie still carries with her from childhood when she witnessed the murder of her mother.

This is the only Slaughter book with almost no violence

A solid novella that will make anyone curious to read The Good Daughter
Tania
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Prequels and novellas aren't normally my thing, as I always need some time to get to know characters, but I loved this. I was hooked from the first page. My plan was to read some books before reading the Good Daughter, but think I'm just diving straight in from here :)
I definitely need to read more Karin Slaughter books.
Yigal Zur
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
there are not many books that i do not finish but this one got on my nerves. you can see it is a writer who knows the craft of words. too many words and so little happen, a shallow plot. there was a point i thought the book will wake up, when she describes crooked grandparents. you could see the writer. a waste.
Sharon Metcalf
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, owned
Only 7 chapters long, Last Breath is a great introduction to the talents of Karin Slaughter. At least that's how it was for me. Given Karin Slaughter is the nominated BT author read for October, and as I haven't previously read any of her work this seemed like a great choice. Not only did I pick up a bargain on Amazon, I got to finish the book within hours of starting it, and I really enjoyed it. Last Breath was the prequel to the Good Daughter, a book I now feel compelled to read.

Charl
Arna
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charlie has made it her mission to defend those with no one else to turn to which is exactly what teenager Flora does, but Flora is in far deeper trouble than Charlie anticipated. How far will she go to protect her client?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
For the first and probably last time ever I read a book in one sitting 😂😂 to be fair this is a novella so it wasn’t hard to do plus it had me hooked! Karin Slaughter can do wrong.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Though this a prequel to the good daughter I think it

• The Bone Farm (Jane Hawk, #0.5)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Wives
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Someone We Know
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Love You More (Tessa Leoni, #1; Detective D.D. Warren, #5)
  • Lock Every Door
  • An Anonymous Girl
  • The Better Sister
  • The Last House Guest
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Guest List
  • Little Secrets
  • The Wife Stalker
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her nineteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated COP TOWN and the instant NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novels PRETTY GIRLS, THE GOOD DAUGHTER, and PIECES OF HER. Her most recent book, THE LAS ...more

The Good Daughter (1 books)
  • The Good Daughter (Good Daughter, #1)