Start by marking “This Symbiotic Fascination” as Want to Read:
This Symbiotic Fascination

This Symbiotic Fascination

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  112 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Tawne Delaney is not what men consider beautiful and, at 37, is very lonely. She fantasizes about her dream lover--but the man she meets is a nightmare. Arcan Tyler is a rapist and murderer, possessed by animal spirit forces. If they are unleashed, he will cease to be human. For now, Arcan is all too human, and finds something new and rare in Tawne. But love among these cr ...more
Published February 1st 2002 by Leisure Books (first published December 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about This Symbiotic Fascination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Symbiotic Fascination

Jan 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
The Good: Disgusting, disturbing, and utterly twisted, fans of really hardcore horror will love This Symbiotic Fascination. Everything about this book is extreme and graphic and over the top. You feel like you are in this middle of this book, living this nightmare. Totally in your face, engrossing.

The Bad:This book is so extreme, it occasionally feels like Jacob is trying too hard to shock readers. The writing and plot progression don't feel natural a lot of the time. And honestly, once a little
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Charlee Jacob is known for her use of extreme gore and nightmarish imaginery. After reading the great 'Haunter' and the still good but not that mind-blowing 'Dread In The Beast' I decided to give this novel a try. Did it disappoint ? Hell no !
The extreme violence, the surreal imaginery and great characterization again shine through in this novel as they did in Haunter. Prepare yourself for disturbing sequences with a Nosferatu-like vampire, an extremely disturbed -yet sympathetic- woman, an equa
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A graphic, disturbing and poetic meditation on the nature of beauty, longing and loneliness. Thought provoking, melancholy and well worth it.
Robert Beveridge
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Charlee Jacob, This Symbiotic Fascination (Leisure Books, 1997)

Whatever else This Symbiotic Fascination is (and it is many things), one word I see applied to it many times that it really isn't is "original." Fans of extreme horror (the term "splatterpunk" is far too overused and far too inaccurate; this is more Guinea Pig than Neuromancer) who have been reading Bob Deveraux's stuff for the past decade will be well-enough acquainted with Jacob's style to have recognized this. Fans of extreme horr
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love a good horror novel and This Symbiotic Fascination is one of those novels you have to read for yourself to truly understand. Jacob has written a complex novel that contains a variety of different elements that make it truly original. There is tons of gore but underneath that is a complex story that will no doubt entertain even the most jaded horror fan.

The strength here is Jacob's writing. In a novel like this the heroes don't show up until the end and even then they aren't your typical
Jessica Little
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Disturbing, sick , twisted, poetic gore. Splendid
Apr 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the most grotesque book I have ever read. The characters are compeling enough for me to want to finish reading the book even though I thought it was disgusting.
Mar 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Not as good as Dread in the Beast - but interesting enough. Loneliness, longing, belonging, vampires, murder and mayhem.
Lizbeth Gabriel
Good idea, buried under tons of needless gory description. The plot moved very slowly due to excessive use of graphic details. I found myself skipping chunks and paragraphs of the aforesaid description without missing anything.
Overall, I am glad I gave it a chance, as I enjoy horror. Since this was her first novel, maybe her following ones are better. But I certainly won't attempt to read another now. I need a breather. I feel I spent days marinating inside an old colostomy bag someone used to
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Charlee Jacob's imagination is wild, bizarre, disturbing, audacious; and her prose is gonzo-poetic, surreal, Grand-Guignol-gruesome, scatological, sexually twisted.

This Symbiotic Fascination is Jacob's debut novel and serves as a companion piece to follow-up Haunter (aka Soma); both deal with members of the grotesque (serious understatement) Tyler family (think shapeshifting and incest, for starters), with overlapping characters and timelines, and they can be read in any order.

Not for the sque
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I only knew Charlee Jabob from her poetry. We had been in some poetry magazines together. But I loved her use of language so much that I quickly bought her novel. It did not disappoint. Imaginative, brutal, and luminous. All three can characterize this book. Be aware, though, if you don't read horror this one is graphic.
David Watson
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Its been awhile since I read this book but I remember loving everything about it from the over the top gore to the great stories and great characters. This one might be hard to find, but it is a great book.
Apr 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horror fans who like their books unique.
The author has a gift for language but I actually didn't like this book as much as I liked HAUNTER. I thought HAUNTER had a superior plot, better characters, and nicer (more grotesque) imagery.

Still, it's above average as far as horror novels go.

Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Ummmmmm...if your looking for some shock value/gross out moments/chilling scenes. Ms. Jacob accomplished all of these in her debut novel. A look at supernatural creatures that arise in humans, that have experienced loneliness and pain.
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-suspense
If you are in the mood for a violent, bloody, disturbing book this is the perfect story. One where the unattractive would sell their soul to know love and another wanting to save his from a torchered past that has possesed him making him rape and brutally torture 10 women as his mother did to him.
Clare de Lune
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
There were parts that were a bit confusing, but I enjoyed this overall. Jacob paints a very vivid landscape with lots of gore and inner character dialogue.
Missy Feigum
  • Finishing Touches
  • Spirit
  • Riverwatch
  • Apeshit
  • Stranger by Night (Hot Blood, #6)
  • Kill Whitey
  • Fears Unnamed
  • Animals
  • Borderlands 2
  • Chasm
  • Wolf's Trap (Wolf Cycle, #1)
  • November Mourns
Charlee Jacob has been a digger for dinosaur bones, a seller of designer rags, and a cook - to mention only a few things. With more than 950 publishing credits, Charlee has been writing dark poetry and prose for more than 25 years. Some of her recent publishing events include the novel STILL (Necro), the poetry collection HERESY (Necro), and the novel DARK MOODS. She is a three-time Bram Stoker Aw ...more
More about Charlee Jacob...