Start by marking “Chaos & Cyber Culture” as Want to Read:
Chaos & Cyber Culture

Chaos & Cyber Culture

Timothy Learys Chaos and CyberCulture is his futuristic vision of the emergence of a new humanism with an emphasis on questioning authority , independent thinking, individual creativity, and the empowerment of computer and other brain technologies. This cyberpunk manifesto describes a new breed that loves technology and uses it to revolutionize communication and tweak Big ...more
Published December 31st 1994 by Ronin Publishing (CA) (first published October 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Chaos & Cyber Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chaos & Cyber Culture

Start your review of Chaos & Cyber Culture
June Rae
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Everyone should read this.
Christopher
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this might have been the once and only time I have ever been carded for buying a book. I bought this in the nineties as a high school teenager at Borders. Probably the most amazing theory by Leary in this is his concept of 'RPMs,' or Realities Per Minute, and how modern technology and advertising, including VR, are like the drug. Pairs nicely with with Adbusters Magazine and Culture Jam: How To Reverse America's Suicidal Consumer Binge - And Why We Must by Kalle Lasn. Subsequent reads: How t ...more
Ian
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
the chaos & cyber culture of today's age is very much like the picture that leary paints on these pages. however, there are some things that are very far-fetched and almost impossible that it could happen. maybe i am still holding on to basic imprints and ol' traditions that our feudal-industrial society implanted in our brains without our consent, but leary is at times pessimistic and that ails me.

the first few chapters are very captivating that i could not look away from the wo
Justin
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book. I remember reading this well over a decade ago and it definitely gave me some interesting ideas as I went through young adulthood.

Everything from LSD to cryonics to computer social networks are covered in this book, and it's fascinating.
Andy Huber
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Baba
McKenzie Dickens
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
What do you turn on when you turn on? Timothy Leary gives insight on the birth of cyber-culture. Amazingly prescient, though some aspects he offers are out-dated.
evz
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful feast for the mind and soul. If more of our books were like this, we wouldn't need--or even want--television!
Scott
Jun 20, 2018
Nathan
Oct 16, 2007
jacob
rated it did not like it
Apr 15, 2007
Michael Abrams
May 22, 2008

• Faust
  • How to Do Things with Words
  • An Answer to the Question: What Is Enlightenment? (Great Ideas)
  • The 100 Most Influential Books Ever Written
  • The Oedipus Cycle: Oedipus Rex, Oedipus at Colonus, Antigone
  • Golden Calf
  • A History of the English People
  • What Is Philosophy?
  • The Civilization of Ancient Egypt
  • Immortality, Inc.
  • Farewell, My Lovely (Philip Marlowe, #2)
  • The Lady in the Lake (Philip Marlowe, #4)
  • The High Window (Philip Marlowe, #3)
  • Story of O (Story of O #1)
  • The Question Concerning Technology and Other Essays
  • Lilith
  • The Medium is the Massage
  • Fancies and Goodnights
Timothy Francis Leary was an American writer, psychologist, futurist, modern pioneer and advocate of psychedelic drug research and use, and one of the first people whose remains have been sent into space. An icon of 1960s counterculture, Leary is most famous as a proponent of the therapeutic and spiritual benefits of LSD. He coined and popularized the catch phrase "Turn on, tune in, drop out."
“And a new philosophy emerged called quantum physics, which suggest that the individual’s function is to inform and be informed. You really exist only when you’re in a field sharing and exchanging information. You create the realities you inhabit.” 99 likes
“The level of intelligence has been tremendously increased, because people are thinking and communicating in terms of screens, and not in lettered books. Much of the real action is taking place in what is called cyberspace. People have learned how to boot up, activate, and transmit their brains.

Essentially, there’s a universe inside your brain. The number of connections possible inside your brain is limitless. And as people have learned to have more managerial and direct creative access to their brains, they have also developed matrices or networks of people that communicate electronically. There are direct brain/computer link-ups. You can just jack yourself in and pilot your brain around in cyberspace-electronic space.”
43 likes