Start by marking “The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving” as Want to Read:
The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving

The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving

Discover how the joy of giving can make your life richer, starting today.

Bestselling author Randy Alcorn introduced readers to a revolution in material freedom and radical generosity with the release of the original The Treasure Principle in 2001. Now the revision to the compact, perennial bestseller includes a provocative new concluding chapter depicting God asking a beli
Published October 9th 2001 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure Principle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure Principle

Start your review of The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving
Tracey
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time getting through this book because I strongly feel that the author, Alcorn, has taken Matthew 6:19 ("Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth...") out of context for his own purposes. Alcorn interprets "treasure" to solely mean "money" and the entire book is essentially devoted to why you should give money to the church. (I also can't help but feel a bit, um, wronged perhaps, by the fact that my church gave this book away in conjunction with a major giving campaign.) Wh ...more
Jo
Jan 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
Okay, I read it. It disturbs me & I'm trying to figure out how to articulate why because there are a LOT of reviews out there saying this is an absolutely fantastic book on encouraging Christian giving, and tithing (ironically, the latter bothers the glowing reviewers, but not me). His Principles are:

Principle #1- God owns everything. I am His money manager.
Principle #2- My heart always goes where I put God's money.
Principle #3- Heaven, not Earth, is my home.
Principle #4- I should live for the l
Jon
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A gift book on a call to live The Treasure Principle,which says, “You can't take it with you, but you can send it on ahead.” This book contains 93 pages of a full exposition and application of Jesus' teaching on giving from Matthew 6:20-21. “But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Alcorn takes six principles and lays them out. This book is ...more
Kelly
Oct 25, 2012 rated it did not like it

While I believe in giving and supporting my church, I do not agree with the "principles" outlined in this book. At no point should people be pressured to give (including living by meager means), nor should people be left to feel guilty if they do not give enough. This book frustrated me more than shedding any light whatsoever on becoming a better Christian.
Jordan Shirkman
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Randy Alcorn has some extreme things to say about money.

And by that I mean Randy Alcorn quotes Jesus with words that cut straight to the heart of a 21st century first-world citizen.

Short, poignant, challenging, and heart-reorienting. What will you do with your “Confederate” money?
Stacy
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great resource to examine one's attitude toward money and things in general. With the world being so materialistic, it is a great reminder about what is really important. At the end of our lives, will we really say "I am so glad that I had the latest gadgets" or "I made a difference in the world by trying to keep up with the latest fashions"? The focus was to be more like John Wesley, whom Mr. Alcorn quotes "Money never stays with me. It would burn me if it did. I throw it out ...more
Fei
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
The title may have changed slightly, because my 92 page softcover book is called "The Treasure Principle: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving". The frontcover graphic is also less intense.

As someone who is interested in general personal finance/money management issues, I enjoyed the author's Biblical perspective on giving. I agree that as Christians, we are called to give back to God and give to show Christ in the world. Overall, I appreciated his effort to motivate/persuade readers to shift
Bear-it
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
A challenging book. Thinking about the concept of treasure and rewards in heaven isn't done too often. I appreciated the chance to dwell on the topic. If one were to take seriously the promise that we have rewards stored up for us in heaven then it challenges your nominal view of material possessions. I think this book challenges you to spend less of your energy on stuff and more on people.
Jared
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who purports to follow Jesus
Recommended to Jared by: Rob Robinson
This book has changed my relationship to stuff, my faith and how I live. Living in the US, I need to re-read it about every six months so that I don't forget the principles it teaches because it is so easy to lose focus on the most important things and be consumed by my desire to acquire.
Shelli
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
We don't give to get "treasures in heaven". We give out of a grateful heart. Too many things in this book rubbed me the wrong way.
Michael
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a helpful little book and worth a few minutes of a Christian's consideration.
Billy
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well done. Gifts of God presented to a cheerful giver,

Want to make a difference in the church? Give!
Want to make a difference in the world? Give!
Want to make a difference in your life? Give!
Want to make a difference in eternity? Give!

And give with a joyful heart. Why? Well, because God commands it. But, more importantly, and, as this book very clearly and articulately points out, because Jesus decreed that we should give in order to recieve. It is a promise. Jesus, according to Mr. Tripp, spoke
Gene Cornett
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a deceptively powerful book. It does what I hope all books will do for me. it's changing the way that I think about how the world works. Here are some of my favorite quotes and thoughts. I hope to add more.

Why did Jesus put such an emphasis on money and possessions? Because there's a fundamental connection between their spiritual blindness think about it handle money. We may try to divorce her faith and her finances, but God sees them as inseparable.

Suppose I offer you $1000 today to spe
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
I am kind of torn on this one. I like that it lays out clearly the expectation with thithing, and how we have to have faith that God will provide, because we are being faithful to Him in our giving for His purpose.

What really bothers me was this focus on giving here on earth to receive our treasure/reward in Heaven. It feels like the focus of the treasure is solely money - what will I need money for in Heaven? I thought the purpose of giving was to help those in need and to help the ministry of
The other John
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I picked this book up used from Harvest Logos bookstore and I'm afraid that I'm going to donate it right back. I was looking for a resource to help me discover what the Bible says about money. While this little book has plenty of Bible references, it's essentially a glorified sermon on generosity with various proof texts attached. Mr. Alcorn's conculsion is good, but I think he oversimplifies the topic and fails to connect it with other aspects of money and stewardship.
Kymberly
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Randy Alcorn books! I feel I got to know him even more deeply through this book and encouraged to look at giving in a whole new way even multiple different ways that are all interlinked! Praise God for this faithful man and this is defiantly a book I want for my library! Thank you Mr. Alcorn!
Don Sullivan
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This heavenly kingdom minded book places Biblical giving in its place. The author describes the joy of giving without it being about drudgery. Using scripture, the author describes how giving to God invests in our heavenly future where our rewards cannot rust or be stolen away. Be prepared to grow. I highly recommend this book.
Rueben Rosalez
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I feel like Mr. Alcorn has merely scratched the surface of what it means to be generous givers of all that we have. Wonderfully written. Scripture references throughout and properly exegeted. I will very likely read it again before handing it off to someone else.
Danny Stokes
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This book contains most of the thoughts and principles that I have heard on the Biblical principles of giving in my 15 years of ministry.
D.K. Brantley
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
How will you use God's resources? A question that is difficult, but one that must be considered.
Danette
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
A book recommended by your pastor.
Joel Rockey
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This little book really made me think about how I view money in light of eternity. Randy Alcorn's testimony and principles in this book are very convicting. Highly recommended!
Ben
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great, quick read on the joy of giving. A little book with a big message. Check this one out along with God and Money
Amy
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
challenging and life changing! God blesses me not to change my lifestyle but my giving style.
Lori Wann
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book- convicting and encouraging, short and to the point. I will be sure to pass this one along.
Chad Warner
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Chad by: John Piper
A biblical, eternal perspective on money, based on Matthew 6:19-21 ("Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth … but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven"). It's packed with verses. It ends with questions to ponder and use to evaluate your own money attitudes and behavior.

I read this because John Piper recommended it.

Notes
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." —Jim Elliot

We can have joy in this life as we look forward to the joy of the treasur
Ryan Hawkins
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because 1) I just finished his book *Heaven*, and 2) I recently was asked to write a short devotional on giving for our church building project.

Overall, this book was quite good. He had some great insights and some piercing questions. However, I give it 4 stars because I think he might come to a few conclusions, such as his view of tithing in the New Covenant, that might be a bit unbiblical, and therefore, lose its imperatival weight. Nevertheless, an easy read and helpful in many w
Meg
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I agree with many of the principles in this book, but I didn't like his writing style. I did not feel that his main points were distinct and clear enough. He gave multiple explanations without multiple examples which made it hard to read. I also feel, like others have said, that this does not take into account those who do not have a lot of money, particularly when talking about wills and future investments.

I do appreciate the core truth that God owns everything, and we can use our money to hon
Dianne Bright
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book is great—hard to digest and live out—but amazing. Especially when you walk with the Lord and know in your core that it’s all true. Very well researched and backed by Scripture, I’d give this more than five stars if I could. Plus, I love this author and his book called HEAVEN, in large part—because in it—Alcorn posits that pets probably do go to heaven. And a lot of other great stuff too. :)
Bekah Irwin
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A new way to look at the world and my place in it. I will likely read this little book again.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Christian Women R...: The Treasure Principle 1 3 Sep 04, 2018 12:19PM

• God and Money: How We Discovered True Riches at Harvard Business School
  • The Mark of the Christian
  • Cure for the Common Life: Living in Your Sweet Spot
  • Fields Of Gold
  • Praying the Bible
  • The Life You've Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
  • Grace-Based Parenting
  • Master of One: Find and Focus on the Work You Were Created to Do
  • Good and Angry: Redeeming Anger, Irritation, Complaining, and Bitterness
  • Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim

News & Interviews

“Whatever is given to Christ is immediately touched with immortality.” 2 likes
“God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7). This doesn’t mean we should give only when we’re feeling cheerful. The cheerfulness often comes during and after the act of obedience, not before it. So don’t wait until you feel like giving—it could be a long wait! Just give and watch the joy follow.” 1 likes