Start by marking “The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving” as Want to Read:
The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving

The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  3,979 Ratings  ·  291 Reviews
Discover how the joy of giving can make your life richer, starting today.

Bestselling author Randy Alcorn introduced readers to a revolution in material freedom and radical generosity with the release of the original The Treasure Principle in 2001. Now the revision to the compact, perennial bestseller includes a provocative new concluding chapter depicting God asking a beli
Published October 9th 2001 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure Principle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure Principle

Tracey
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time getting through this book because I strongly feel that the author, Alcorn, has taken Matthew 6:19 ("Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth...") out of context for his own purposes. Alcorn interprets "treasure" to solely mean "money" and the entire book is essentially devoted to why you should give money to the church. (I also can't help but feel a bit, um, wronged perhaps, by the fact that my church gave this book away in conjunction with a major giving campaign.) Wh ...more
Jo
Jan 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
Okay, I read it. It disturbs me & I'm trying to figure out how to articulate why because there are a LOT of reviews out there saying this is an absolutely fantastic book on encouraging Christian giving, and tithing (ironically, the latter bothers the glowing reviewers, but not me). His Principles are:

Principle #1- God owns everything. I am His money manager.
Principle #2- My heart always goes where I put God's money.
Principle #3- Heaven, not Earth, is my home.
Principle #4- I should live for t
Jon
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A gift book on a call to live The Treasure Principle,which says, “You can't take it with you, but you can send it on ahead.” This book contains 93 pages of a full exposition and application of Jesus' teaching on giving from Matthew 6:20-21. “But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Alcorn takes six principles and lays them out. This book is ...more
Jordan Shirkman
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Randy Alcorn has some extreme things to say about money.

And by that I mean Randy Alcorn quotes Jesus with words that cut straight to the heart of a 21st century first-world citizen.

Short, poignant, challenging, and heart-reorienting. What will you do with your “Confederate” money?
Stacy
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great resource to examine one's attitude toward money and things in general. With the world being so materialistic, it is a great reminder about what is really important. At the end of our lives, will we really say "I am so glad that I had the latest gadgets" or "I made a difference in the world by trying to keep up with the latest fashions"? The focus was to be more like John Wesley, whom Mr. Alcorn quotes "Money never stays with me. It would burn me if it did. I throw it out ...more
Fei
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
The title may have changed slightly, because my 92 page softcover book is called "The Treasure Principle: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving". The frontcover graphic is also less intense.

As someone who is interested in general personal finance/money management issues, I enjoyed the author's Biblical perspective on giving. I agree that as Christians, we are called to give back to God and give to show Christ in the world. Overall, I appreciated his effort to motivate/persuade readers to shift
Kelly
Oct 25, 2012 rated it did not like it

While I believe in giving and supporting my church, I do not agree with the "principles" outlined in this book. At no point should people be pressured to give (including living by meager means), nor should people be left to feel guilty if they do not give enough. This book frustrated me more than shedding any light whatsoever on becoming a better Christian.
Bear-it
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
A challenging book. Thinking about the concept of treasure and rewards in heaven isn't done too often. I appreciated the chance to dwell on the topic. If one were to take seriously the promise that we have rewards stored up for us in heaven then it challenges your nominal view of material possessions. I think this book challenges you to spend less of your energy on stuff and more on people.
Jared
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who purports to follow Jesus
Recommended to Jared by: Rob Robinson
This book has changed my relationship to stuff, my faith and how I live. Living in the US, I need to re-read it about every six months so that I don't forget the principles it teaches because it is so easy to lose focus on the most important things and be consumed by my desire to acquire.
Shelli
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
We don't give to get "treasures in heaven". We give out of a grateful heart. Too many things in this book rubbed me the wrong way.
Michael
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a helpful little book and worth a few minutes of a Christian's consideration.
Hannah
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I perused this book and wow! It is so good! It takes the typical approach to money and possessions - get as much as you can - and says "Give as much as you can!". Love it and the countercultural message it brings!
Billy
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well done. Gifts of God presented to a cheerful giver,

Want to make a difference in the church? Give!
Want to make a difference in the world? Give!
Want to make a difference in your life? Give!
Want to make a difference in eternity? Give!

And give with a joyful heart. Why? Well, because God commands it. But, more importantly, and, as this book very clearly and articulately points out, because Jesus decreed that we should give in order to recieve. It is a promise. Jesus, according to Mr. Tripp, spoke
Gene Cornett
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a deceptively powerful book. It does what I hope all books will do for me. it's changing the way that I think about how the world works. Here are some of my favorite quotes and thoughts. I hope to add more.

Why did Jesus put such an emphasis on money and possessions? Because there's a fundamental connection between their spiritual blindness think about it handle money. We may try to divorce her faith and her finances, but God sees them as inseparable.

Suppose I offer you $1000 today to spe
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
I am kind of torn on this one. I like that it lays out clearly the expectation with thithing, and how we have to have faith that God will provide, because we are being faithful to Him in our giving for His purpose.

What really bothers me was this focus on giving here on earth to receive our treasure/reward in Heaven. It feels like the focus of the treasure is solely money - what will I need money for in Heaven? I thought the purpose of giving was to help those in need and to help the ministry of
The other John
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I picked this book up used from Harvest Logos bookstore and I'm afraid that I'm going to donate it right back. I was looking for a resource to help me discover what the Bible says about money. While this little book has plenty of Bible references, it's essentially a glorified sermon on generosity with various proof texts attached. Mr. Alcorn's conculsion is good, but I think he oversimplifies the topic and fails to connect it with other aspects of money and stewardship.
Kymberly
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Randy Alcorn books! I feel I got to know him even more deeply through this book and encouraged to look at giving in a whole new way even multiple different ways that are all interlinked! Praise God for this faithful man and this is defiantly a book I want for my library! Thank you Mr. Alcorn!
Don Sullivan
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This heavenly kingdom minded book places Biblical giving in its place. The author describes the joy of giving without it being about drudgery. Using scripture, the author describes how giving to God invests in our heavenly future where our rewards cannot rust or be stolen away. Be prepared to grow. I highly recommend this book.
Rueben Rosalez
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I feel like Mr. Alcorn has merely scratched the surface of what it means to be generous givers of all that we have. Wonderfully written. Scripture references throughout and properly exegeted. I will very likely read it again before handing it off to someone else.
Ben
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great, quick read on the joy of giving. A little book with a big message. Check this one out along with God and Money
Amy
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
challenging and life changing! God blesses me not to change my lifestyle but my giving style.
Danette
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
A book recommended by your pastor.
Lori Wann
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book- convicting and encouraging, short and to the point. I will be sure to pass this one along.
Danny Stokes
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This book contains most of the thoughts and principles that I have heard on the Biblical principles of giving in my 15 years of ministry.
D.K. Brantley
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
How will you use God's resources? A question that is difficult, but one that must be considered.
Joel Rockey
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This little book really made me think about how I view money in light of eternity. Randy Alcorn's testimony and principles in this book are very convicting. Highly recommended!
Chad Warner
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Chad by: John Piper
A biblical, eternal perspective on money, based on Matthew 6:19-21 ("Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth … but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven"). It's packed with verses. It ends with questions to ponder and use to evaluate your own money attitudes and behavior.

I read this because John Piper recommended it.

Notes
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." —Jim Elliot

We can have joy in this life as we look forward to the joy of the treasur
Meg
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I agree with many of the principles in this book, but I didn't like his writing style. I did not feel that his main points were distinct and clear enough. He gave multiple explanations without multiple examples which made it hard to read. I also feel, like others have said, that this does not take into account those who do not have a lot of money, particularly when talking about wills and future investments.

I do appreciate the core truth that God owns everything, and we can use our money to hon
Nathan Albright
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge2017
[Note:  This book was provided free of charge by Blogging For Books/Multnomah Press.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.]

The subject of tithing and giving among Christians is one that leads to a lot of contentious struggles and ferocious and often ugly debates [1].  Into this debate Randy Alcorn has contributed an updated version of a best-selling book in which he address the subject of Christian generosity in a thoughtful way that avoids guilt-tripping but which is faithful to the biblical r
Justin Tapp
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a short and personally challenging book. While Alcorn recommends Crown Financial Ministries for personal financial planning, he would differ from Larry Burkett and others by recommending saving less and giving more. He challenges the reader not to save up a nest egg as an inheritance, but rather to give that money away today. The book closes with "31 radical, liberating questions to ask God about your giving." It will help identify any idols in your life related to money, any places wher ...more
  • What Is a Healthy Church?
  • What Jesus Demands from the World
  • Stop Dating the Church!: Fall in Love with the Family of God (LifeChange Books)
  • Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business
  • Disciplines of a Godly Man
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
  • Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate
  • Fields Of Gold
  • Church Membership: How the World Knows Who Represents Jesus
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • When People Are Big and God is Small: Overcoming Peer Pressure, Codependency, and the Fear of Man
  • Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • The Enemy Within: Straight Talk about the Power and Defeat of Sin
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim
More about Randy Alcorn

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Crack Cocaine Explosion
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Denial [Movie Tie-in]: Holocaust History on Trial
    $11.99 $1.99
  • A Very English Scandal: Sex, Lies, and a Murder Plot at the Heart of the Establishment
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Call the Midwife: Farewell to the East End
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Gomorrah: A Personal Journey into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organized Crime System
    $9.99 $3.99
  • All Creatures Great and Small  (All Creatures Great and Small, #1)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race
  • Cheaper by the Dozen
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7). This doesn’t mean we should give only when we’re feeling cheerful. The cheerfulness often comes during and after the act of obedience, not before it. So don’t wait until you feel like giving—it could be a long wait! Just give and watch the joy follow.” 1 likes
“Andrew Carnegie said, “The almighty dollar bequeathed to a child is an almighty curse. No man has the right to handicap his son with such a burden as great wealth.” 0 likes