Start by marking “Far from the Tree” as Want to Read:
Far from the Tree

Far from the Tree

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  15,829 ratings  ·  3,134 reviews
A moving contemporary novel about three adopted siblings who find each other at just the right moment, by acclaimed YA vet Robin Benway.

Being the middle child has its ups and downs.

But for Grace, an only child who was adopted at birth, discovering that she is a middle child is a different ride altogether. After putting her own baby up for adoption, she goes looking for her
Published October 3rd 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Far from the Tree, please sign up.
Florine Hey Lisa, I actually think you should. I just finished it, and what I took from the book is this: giving up babies is a trauma, adopted kids have…moreHey Lisa, I actually think you should. I just finished it, and what I took from the book is this: giving up babies is a trauma, adopted kids have questions & fears that are complicated, adoptive families can be wonderful and supportive, and net net every family has issues. The kids look for their biological mom not because they don't love their families, but to understand the circumstances. It is fiction, but I don't think there is any judgement one way or the other, at least from what I could see (my experience is extremely limited though, so I may not have the same triggers.) I did find it was a beautiful story.(less)
Julia I don't know if you've been on a high school campus lately but the f word is in every other sentence of most teenagers. I found this book to ring true…moreI don't know if you've been on a high school campus lately but the f word is in every other sentence of most teenagers. I found this book to ring true as to language and behavior of most kids and would take the rating down to PG-13 if that. And what's with the overuse of the word "triggering". The world is triggering these days. As parents we need to grow up and connect with are kids. They are sometimes a lot smarter than we are. (less)

Emma Giordano
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolutely amazing contemporary novel. I am truly BLOWN AWAY by how fantastic this story is. I would recommend it to absolutely everyone.

CW: teen pregnancy, adoption, foster care system, alcoholism

I don't feel I even have the words to express how fantastic this book is. It is touching, emotional, heart-warming and heart-wrenching at the exact same time. Far From The Tree is one of those books that causes you to have a weight on your chest the entire time you are reading. I cried from sa
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
4.5*
This was so well done! The writing was great and I truly felt for the characters and their struggles. I will admit I did struggle a bit with a suspension of disbelief just in regards to the fact that the mother had 3 kids in a very short period of time when she was extremely young. But, that was a very minor thing. Overall I thought this book was really good!
Hannah Greendale

Do yourself a favor and read this book.

Lola
Hello Goodreaders, it is I, the Black Sheep. Missed me?

Just yesterday I was telling myself how wonderful my reads have been lately. And voilà! I have jinxed myself instantly.

I tried, I really did. Then I tried some more, because I am familiar with this author, but alas nothing.

Nothing. My heart feels nothing. It should be devastated or filled with admiration or, I don’t know, just *feel* something. Goddamn, why can’t you feel something, heart?

Now I don’t want my heart to be giving me a hea
Elise (TheBookishActress)
🌟full review posted on blog!

That was... unexpected. Far From the Tree is an exploration of family, the one you find and the one you're born into. Great concept, right? But I definitely did not guess just how good this would be. A story like this is one that can only succeed based off stellar character work, and my expectations for character work in contemporary is often quite low. But this was so lovely.

This book revolves around three siblings, each with their own conflicts.
🌹Grace has recently
jessica
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
families come in various shapes, sizes, colours, personalities, and dynamics. no two families are the same and thats what makes them so wonderful. this book is a perfect example of that.

this is a story about three biological siblings who are separated into different homes/paths as infants and later reconnect once they discover each others existence.

and reading about the desperate longing these siblings have for each other, as well as their desire to meet and grow into a family, it made realise
Larry H
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars for this one.

Robin Benway's Far from the Tree recently won the National Book Award. It's a beautiful, thought-provoking tearjerker of a book, a meditation about family and its different forms, as well as the fears we don't share with those we love, and how what we don't say is often more of a roadblock than the things we do.

At times this book had me like:

While at other times it had me like:

Grace is an only child, although she's always known that she was adopted. But shortly after s
may ❀
Sap Warning
I come from a big family and even though at times they can be annoying as heck and other times make me want to jump out of a window, theyre literally my life and I would die without them
okay im done my sap – gross

AND THIS BOOK IS ALL ABOUT FAMILY AND ITS AMAZING AND PERFECT AND SO SPECIAL

description
kermit gets me

- BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL and honest sibling rep. this was done so sosososooso well
- Theyre annoying and irritating and you want to punch them sometimes but like they got your b
may ➹
Feb 18, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I completely forgot this review existed and I’m just genuinely wondering: was I okay

------------------------------

lazy: “I stopped reading a few days ago but left the book on my currently reading shelf”
lazier: “I stopped reading a week ago but left the book on my currently reading shelf”
laziest: “I didn’t even read one word of this book but left the book on my currently reading shelf for more than a month”

(I’m laziest. and pathetic)

------------------------------

a conversation with myself:

me: so
Elyse Walters
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Library overdrive Audiobook...narrated by Julia Whelan......
.......Julia is a ‘book-reading-pro’!!! I’d go out of my way to listen to books read by her. She’s really terrific....making each character come ALIVE with very distinct personalities.

I completely agree with the publishers summary of this National Book Award Winner....
“Perfect for fans of NBC’s “THIS IS US”, ( I am a fan), Robin Benway’s beautiful interweaving story of three very different teenagers connected by blood explores the me
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 5/5

"Seventeen years is a long time to wait for a family''

This book is an example of why I need the Goodreads Rating Scale to be bigger. On a scale of 1 to 10, definitely a 10!

Robin Benway is an amazing writer. I could not put this book down. I was reading it at school in-between classes, in the car (which I NEVER do) and I think at one point I actually read while walking. I think it’s safe to say I was obsessed.

This is the story of three adopted siblings who find each other at just the r
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Damn, that was beautiful.
emma
Okay. First, we must talk about the most important thing, and that is that cover. Holy sh*t that thing is beautiful. Man oh man. I hate myself for reading this as an ebook out of excitement instead of waiting to buy a copy. I’m way too materialistic for this BS.

Now we can talk about the actual contents.

I first heard about this book because it won the National Book Award for Young Adult Literature, and I was doing a very grown-up blog post for the very grown up college-affiliated blog I’m part of
Yusra  ✨

reread #1: i’m honestly in tears. like i can’t even explain how good this book is. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. and it’s saving my reading challenge so yeet

5 stars ✨

"Seventeen years is a long time to wait for a family."

I can't express in words how much I loved this book. It was just what I needed, everything I wanted and so much more . It's been a loooong time since I've had a 5 star read (actually, I think this is my first 5 star of 2018? correct me if I'm wrong? but yay?).

When I say I love contemp
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Omg. So touching. I cry 😭
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
You can read this and all of my reviews at Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine.

Far From the Tree took me far out of my comfort zone in the most excellent way! It’s only the second audiobook I’ve listen to till the very end and it’s YA.

Here’s what I loved:

The Characters – Grace, Maya, and Joaquin were well-developed characters to love. They’re all basically good kids carrying more baggage than most adults could bear. Some of their baggage is shared and some is very specific to the character.

The Story – There’s a
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
OH FUCK THIS WAS SO GOOD.
this was emotional and put my heart through the wringer.
this won the national book award for a reason and it's an all time favorite.
family stories are always a favorite of mine and this was just incredible.
i really wanted to read this originally because it was compared to This Is Us and that is one of my all time favorite shows and JESUS IT IS SUCH A GOOD COMPARISON in terms of family and feels and just UGH OMG I HAVE TOO MANY FEELINGS RIGHT NOW.
Glitterbomb
So, I may or may not have shaken the the shit out of this thing and yelled WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!!! WHY AREN'T THERE MORE BOOKS LIKE YOU IN THE WORLD!!

This thing had be sobbing, and laughing, and sobbing while laughing, and tearing my hair out, and more sobbing, and yelling "How did you know?!?!" I swear there's not a box of tissues or a roll of toilet paper left in the house.

I am emotionally done. I'll write a review later after I put myself back together. Seriously though, read this.

------------
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so beautiful and so lovely. I would recommend it to everyone, I thought it was so heart-warming, but also so heart-breaking at times. Seriously guys, read this! It's one of those books that makes you feel so many things and it takes serious willpower for me not to recommend this to everyone I come across.

Once I finished this book, I realised it actually dealt with so many issues and it was done so eloquently. Sometimes when books deal with quite a lot, it can feel either too heavy
Alexa
I just finished reading this book, and I honest to goodness cannot stop crying thinking about it. What a beautiful, raw, honest portrayal of families in a way I've never really encountered before. What an amazing sibling story. The relationships, the characters, the story - all just so wonderful, and this is def my fave Robin Benway book as of right now.
Joce (squibblesreads)
I enjoyed this a lot, and I honestly didn’t know much about it going in. The topics of teen pregnancy and adoption were covered in multiple characters’ arcs, giving the topics depth and multiple stories/perspectives within one story. The parents also weren’t absentee or placeholder parents, which is a pet peeve of mine.

There was a lot of dialogue and it’s totally a preference thing, but I prefer books that are less dialogue heavy and with more exposition or prose, so if you don’t mind
Suzanne
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So beautiful! I loved this book so much. This is a story about three siblings who have been fostered and adopted by separate families very early in their lives, and shows readers the many definitions family can have. I adored every minute of reading this book!

Overall, love the characters, the story, and the meaning behind this entire book!
Tatiana
It’s a perfectly fine feel-good novel about adoption and sibling love, with abundance of compassionate people and HEA for all. A bit too sentimental, simplistic and tear-jerky for my taste.

Reminded me of Sara Zarr’s novels, but less nuanced.
Maureen
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredible and emotional and deep and everything.

I haven't found many foster/adoption YA stories and this was such an incredible one. I loved watching the growth of all the characters, especially Grace, and seeing all the kids band together and become a family was evERYTHING. The three main characters all had incredible and distinct storylines that pulled together so well and man. it was just so good.

READ THIS BOOK.
Hollis
I applaud anyone who was able to review this book coherently. Basically all I can think to say is : be prepared to cry. A lot.
Donalyn
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t cried so much reading a book in a long time. Beautiful.
Ken
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-in-2017, ya
3.5 star lights, star brights.

This winner of the National Book Award is an old-school weepie bringing together three siblings who have been adopted (except for one still in foster care) by different families. The chapters rotate between each, beginning with Grace, a teenaged mom who just gave up a child herself to adoption (and the wheels spin inexorably).

She comes to know younger sister Maya, and eventually THEY come to know older brother Joaquin (different father, as he is part Mexican). Gra
beth
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
reread 7/11/18

i loved it even more than the first time i read it if that’s possible. can’t wait to reread it again next year, one of my favourite books ever 😭💛

—————————————

Rating - 5 stars.

Okay wow this book is beautiful.

This story follows three siblings who have been separated - adopted & fostered - when they were younger into different families. It has such amazing and honest representation of family, friends and relationships.

I laughed and I cried with this book. It affected me in a
Acqua
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

This book has so much heart. It's a story about three biological siblings reconnecting after being adopted (or not, in Joaquin's case) by different families. It could have been so sappy or tragic so easily, but it wasn't, and if some things felt a little contrived sometimes, they never felt like they were there just to make you sad. I love well-written emotional contemporaries.

It follows:
🍂 Joaquin, the eldest brother, who is biracial Mexican and almost eighteen. He has lived almost hi
Maram
BookTubeAThon Day 6: Book #4 📚

I heard that this book is a tear-jerker so hit me with all of the emotions, I'm readyish
Regan Michael 2 12 Nov 05, 2018 08:05PM
Crazy for Young A...: Far from the Tree by Robin Benway → State Date: July 22, 2018 30 32 Sep 12, 2018 12:13PM
Around the Year i...: Far From the Tree, by Robin Benway 2 10 Aug 03, 2018 10:02AM
Play Book Tag: Far From the Tree - Robin Benway, 5 stars 2 17 May 12, 2018 08:42PM
Robin Benway is a National Book Award winner and New York Times bestselling author of six novels for young adults, including Audrey, Wait!, the AKA series, and Emmy & Oliver. Her books have received numerous awards and recognition, including a 2008 Blue Ribbon Award from the Bulletin for the Center of Children's Books, 2009's ALA Best Books for Young Adults, and 2014's ALA Popular Paperbacks f ...more
“The older she got, the more human her parents seemed, and that was one of the scariest things in the world. She missed being little, when they were the all-knowing gods of her world, but at the same time, seeing them as human made it easier to see herself that way, too.” 38 likes
“That’s what parents do. They catch you before you fall. That’s what family is.” 15 likes