Start by marking “People of the Sun” as Want to Read:

People of the Sun

All life comes from the sun. Sometimes, death comes with it.

Filled with hope and compelled by fear, four would-be heroes are driven from their home planet in a desperate bid to save their civilization from extinction. But survival takes on a whole new meaning when a malfunction sends their ship plummeting toward Earth.

Surviving the crash is only the first obstacle on the
Published March 15th 2017 by Sinister Grin Press

To ask other readers questions about People of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People of the Sun

Carrie
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A couple of local men find what appears to be an alien craft that has landed in what was the day before a lake but is now completely dry as the desert. The craft is radiating so much heat that it doesn't seem possible to get close to it. While waiting for the authorities to show up the men stumble up four alien creatures and things get a little intense when they can't communicate.

Soon it's found that the alien group has escaped their planet in an attempt to save their on species from extinction
Char (Tacky Genre Buff)
People of the Sun is a science fiction tale with heart!

Have you ever wondered how the world would react if we ever made "first contact" (to borrow from Star Trek, that's right, I'm a Trekkie), with an alien race? As Dave Matthews asks in his song Time Bomb, "If Martians fell from the sky, what would that do to God? Would we put the weapons down, or aim them up at the sky?" This book has its own way of answering that question.

When we imagine aliens, we might think of little green men, or ET or
Kimberly
4.5 stars!

PEOPLE OF THE SUN, by Jason Parent, is a novel that combines a bit of several genres: most notably, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, and Thriller elements. This is--in my opinion--an emotionally potent novel, but one very "dark" in nature. An alien race known as the Symorians are preparing for a mission to save their own planet. A disastrous upset occurs, propelling their ship to a crash landing on Earth. The first humans to come in contact with them are a policeman and Connor--a go
Hunter Shea
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jason Parent has penned a thought-provoking, gripping scifi thriller. This isn't your grandma's alien invasion. My own world stopped the moment I stepped into People of the Sun. Lovers of science fiction, horror and even super heroes will revel in this rollercoaster of a tale. A true must-read
Dana-Adriana B.
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since long I did not read a good Sci-Fi. What do we do if we meet some nasty powerful aliens? It's a gripping story.
Thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for this copy.
Fabi

I was intrigued by the plot. Captivated enough to read the entire book.

But, honestly? It didn't flow well. Some of the characters changed their mind, and seemingly, their personality, from one sentence to the next. They went back and forth like this several times.

It's science fiction. It's a given that you have to suspend disbelief. It was hard to do with this story. Too many things conveniently fell into place without much struggle. It was hard to just "accept."

The ending is not a cli
G.G.
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok…let's face it. I can't resist aliens, especially those who come to Earth for any other reasons than invasion. Not that I don't like the latter but they are far more common. So when I found this book, I had to get my hands on it. Already after the second chapter, I felt I knew Tryst, Kazy, Milliken and Lenyx. While I had an idea of their personality, I didn't foresee how the story would go. Many of the twists totally took me by surprise.

Characters wise, they were all well fleshed. My favorite
Nev Murray
"If you like sci-fi, you need to read this. If you like horror, you need to read this. If you like dark fiction, you need to read this.

If you like a book that is superbly written in every single way, you need to read this."

See here for the full review:

Cats of Ulthar February Weird Fiction
Review of PEOPLE OF THE SUN
by Jason Parent

Jason Parent has a vast imagination, demonstrated in everything he writes. In PEOPLE OF THE SUN he has given us a contemporary science fiction thriller demonstrating the fallibility of humans (as well as of “aliens.”) I couldn't help but be reminded of my beloved science fiction films of the 1950's, in which human narrowmindedness and inability to accept anything beyond received facts are thoroughly demonstrated.

PEOPLE OF THE SUN focuses on a virtually
Aly
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, at first, I was not sure I would like this book because I am not big on Sci-fi. I don't mind it but some books, in my opinion go too far sometimes, these types of books can be really like or really not like most of the time for me. But I enjoyed this book very much! This book was full of twists and exciting turns that kept me wanting to read more. I like Aliens sometimes but this book made me like them a little more. The characters in this book were trying one civilization. It was an e ...more
Morrighan Rose
Review @Elysian Fields
★ ★ ★ ★ ✬ 4.5 / 5 Stars

I was thoroughly impressed with this story! I'm not a huge fan of the whole alien invasion idea, but People of the Sun was original and refreshing. It started off like a much weirder episode of X-Files, with a police officer and a geologist hiking to a recently dried out lake bed, searching for the 'meteorite' that caused the evaporation of water. They come upon a large, black rock, which obviously isn't a rock at all. As they are examining this anoma
Jessica
I've been meaning to review this for a while, but time got away from me! So, as I'm going off my notes, I hope I can do justice to Jason Parent and People of the Sun. This Science Fiction adventure was a brilliant way for me to dip my toes back into this genre. It was imaginative, but also realistic enough to make stepping into it easy. I have to say, I was impressed with the solid way that Jason Parent writes. Having not read anything of his yet, this book has my interest peaked!

Basically, this
Bandit
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason Parent is one of those middle of the road authors who always seems to do ok or somewhat above that, but never really great. So I've come to rely on his books for quick relatively mindless entertainment, which seems to be an accurate and reasonable expectation. I do appreciate the man's range, he'll try any genre...scary, thriller and now this one, scifi. An intriguing enough premise with a middling execution, as the title suggests apparently there is a possibility of life on the Sun or, re ...more
Stuart & Ashton Bryson
Another excellent book by Jason Parent. It's quick read with a great storyline, I liked the characters and would have enjoyed a little more character development but overall a great book!
Michelle
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not even one who is that into sci fi books but I very much enjoyed this one. It's very fast paced and you fall in love (and hate) with the characters right away. Very highly recommended!!
Amelia Volkova
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a giveaway and I'm so glad I did,because otherwise I might have never had a chance to read it and enjoy it. While I felt disgusted by certain aliens thoughts,I enjoyed everything other than that. Aliens aren't very different from us,they are stronger and can teleport and stuff,but they feel like us,they love like we do and they can be rotten to the core just like some of the human beings that have existed through history or are alive now and shaping our lives and future. Also, ...more
Jay Odd
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
On a mission to save their race from extinction, four aliens leave their home for the first time. Unfortunately for them, they end up on Earth. Facing problem after problem, we follow these characters on their adventure in a hostile world. Although the aliens are in awe of our beautiful planet, they’re bemused and soon disgusted as they begin to learn more about the human race.

I really enjoyed this book and it was never a chore to read. It’s dark, but not miserable; it has some horror elements,
Joe Crowe
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"People of the Sun" is good, emotionally gripping stuff. It's also about aliens who have superpowers. Those two things are usually mutually exclusive.

This one has good guys and bad guys and fighting, but the emotional guts of the characters are the real drivers of the story.

The story is dramatic, but not bleak. Rotten things happen, but the tone of this whole thing is hopeful. Writer Jason Parent, from the beginning of the book, appeared to be setting up the kind of story that could maintain a
Angela Kay
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Symorians are an alien race whose home planet is inside the core of the sun. Four Symorians: Lenyx, Tryst, Kazi, and Milliken embark on a mission to save their people from extinction. It doesn't take long before their vessel crash-lands on the planet Earth. Afterward, their troubles are just beginning. The Symorians get off on the wrong foot with the humans after accidentally killing one. Then they attempt to bridge an alliance between Symoria and Earth, but after another incident occurs, ou ...more
Michael
This book was like a fine blended scotch. There are hints here and there of vague familiar flavors but it is in itself something quite unique and different.
I would pour another glass.
Frank Spinney
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to start? I have had the good luck to have discovered Jason Parent when his first book What Hides Within came out in 2012. From the start I knew he was going places. Over the course of these last five years, I have seen him grow as writer. Jason is one of those very talented authors that is not confined to one genre. With With Hides Within, he wrote a a very dark horror novel that scared the shit out of me. With Seeing Evil, he switched it up and wrote a psychological thriller with a twist ...more
Penny Wright
Jason Parent’s People of the Sun is a science fiction book that takes place in the near future. The book opens with State Trooper Matthew Simpson and his geologist friend Connor Gaudreau hiking through the misty edge of a lake toward a meteorite that landed there. As they approach the object, they notice that the lake has completely evaporated and that the heat is so great that the skin from the corpses of the fish has been cooked off.

The meteorite is not quite what it appears, though. It’s actu
Hobart
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
This was a refreshing SF adventure with plenty of heart and imagination.

A handful of brave astronauts take off from the dying planet Symoria with a mission to find something to save their planet-- but something goes wrong during the launch, damaging the ship and severely injuring some of the crew. The ship crashes on a nearby planet -- Earth, naturally -- and things go downhill from there.

Yeah, a disastrous (and possibly fatal) launch is t
Space Cowgirl
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FIRST CONTACT👾A Little ☔Rain Never Hurt Anyone!

Connor👨 is the ultimate anti hero. He's a fifty-four year old man, a college professor, a geology major. The local sheriff, Matthew👮, leads him to a local lake, Second Connecticut Lake, which has apparently dried up overnight. Mathew wants to show him a rock.
Tremendous heat and an impenetrable fog envelopes them as they trudge towards the source of the disaster. In the middle of the now dry lake bed is a huge lump of stone.
The two men soon deciph
Ctgt
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nabcc-ss-2017
A small group of aliens blast off from their dying world(the center of the sun) and crash land on earth where they discover water enhances their bodies.....sounds a bit like the Superman story doesn't it? The typical problems of first contact, language, culture, history are handled again by exposure to water, in this case they acquire the ability to read humans minds and incorporate all the feelings, memories and experiences into a new understanding of human society and nature.
There are some in
John
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
What a different sci-fi book this was by Jason Parent, and I mean that in a good way. I enjoyed how it tried to avoid the usual cliches and stereotypes about alien life and what they might look like to us mere earthlings. I was also very pleasantly surprised by the ending of the book which I absolutely will not disclose. This was a joy to read from the first page to the last words on the last page. This is a rather late voluntary review of an Advanced Reader Copy of the book from Hidden Gems
Imperfectly Belle
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, hidden-gems
This is the second book I've read by Jason Parent and I was just as consumed by this story as I was with his previous crime novel. I loved that the story changed viewpoints so you could really get into the minds of the characters. I normally don't read a lot of Science Fiction but will read anything Jason writes from here on out. Loved the character development and was completely engrossed, completing this in 2 sittings.

*I received an ARC from the author in exchange for my honest opinions.
Catherine
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, I was captivated from the start to the finish. I am particularly intrigued by the moral questions raised in the story. I'm still thinking about the characters. They have stayed with me beyond the final pages of the novel.
Peter
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably worth more stars to other readers but I thought the story was contrived and predictable. I didn't like the science (or lack of it) or the characters. More fantasy than SciFi I feel. Well written with some interesting ideas but not it did not grip my imagination.
Mark Gardner
Jul 12, 2017
  • Necropolis Rising
  • Ashes of Foreverland (Foreverland, #3)
  • Shadowburbia
  • Jurassic Florida (One Size Eats All #1)
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Crawlspace: A Horror Short Story
  • Kellie's Diary #2
  • Grave Decisions
  • Degrees of Delusion
In his head, Jason Parent lives in many places, but in the real world, he calls New England his home. The region offers an abundance of settings for his writing and many wonderful places in which to write them. He currently resides in Southeastern Massachusetts with his cuddly corgi named Calypso.

In a prior life, Jason spent most of his time in front of a judge . . . as a civil litigator. When he