Start by marking “Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future” as Want to Read:
Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future

Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future

"I believe we can change the world if we start talking to one another again." With this simple declaration, Margaret Wheatley proposes that people band together with their colleagues and friends to create the solutions for real social change, both locally and globally, that are so badly needed. Such change will not come from governments or corporations, she argues, but fro ...more
Published January 11th 2002 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Turning to One Another, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turning to One Another

Start your review of Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
Karen Jordan
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was the closest thing to a spiritual renewal I have experienced in a long while. Wheatley argues convincingly that we need to restore the practice of conversation. That our state of exhaustion, frustration, and anxiety are built upon a foundation of quick, dispassionate, joyless exchanges. I would encourage anyone who is feeling a bit disheartened about our world and consider Wheatley's position that human connectedness is the place from which we can find solutions, hope, and faith in ...more
Judy
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Our adult class at church studied this book that encourages active listening.
Kathy
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Will forever be on my coffee table and definitive list of important gifts for everyone I love and cherish, starting with the package I sent my teaching adviser this morning.
V
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A must read! I'm so glad I reread this assume book. It's very timely and could have been written today. I'm planning on continuing to use in my work and in helping to make our world a better place a better place.

V

Peter Van
Here we go, my first book finished this year. A great book about conversations, reaching out and building relationships as a way to overcome fear, become fearless.
Not a very practical book, but enough food for thought to be interesting till the end. Beautiful words.
Brian Stout
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: movements, leadership
Meg Wheatley is a gift: clear, wise, kind, warm. Asking us to be our best selves, and giving us a roadmap to get there.

A friend recommended this book, and I picked it up that day from my local store on the way home. The clerk hadn't heard of it, but after looking in two different places (business leadership, self-help) we found it: one copy, their only work of hers (despite it being not her most famous) waiting patiently on the shelf. An omen.

It's a beautiful book, at once an ode and a call to a
Todd Cheng
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book is okay. It is more a collection of themes from many other trending community topics. Each are valid and based in philosophy, physiology, and good community experience. However, how it is tied together made it harder to for me. It lacked a necessary flow or narrative. I felt the assertions are made but there only casual opinion to justify. It was bumpy like running down a railroad track on the ties.

Good collection of themes. Important. But, the narrative and flow was off when compared
WR
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Lovely book advocating good deep conversations. And suggesting broad topics that can be used as conversation starters. I liked the concept/idea. Just that I don't think I would be able to use them in large groups or with many people. ...more
Maulida Ayudhanti
The style of the book is motivational, very optimistic, and more inspiring than practical.
I like that she presents her insight pretty cohesively. The poems surely complete the aesthetic experience.

I think anyone can benefit from reading this book.
Val Brown
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very quick read - I finished the meat of it in a few hours. It's part motivational part reminder about what is possible. It will be particularly helpful for me because it really gets to the "why" of my preferred way of building community. As always I'm looking forward to hosting many conversations. ...more
Lisa Lewton
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Simple guide, grounded on good words and hope. Conversation is the giver of healing and wholeness, all the while we rarely engage in an honest expression of conversation. Parts of this book might be a good read for a group of leaders. The topics are simple and important.
Katy L.
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book! So many times I read sentences that I wanted to share with others. Though I must say that none of the content was earth-shattering to me, the author writes in such an inspiring manner that I feel it should be required reading for all adults.
Sahana
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time to begin talking again

A book whose time has come. A must read if we dream of bringing about true change and having courageous conversations...
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
I want my lessons to be more specific.
Yoselis
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring. It’s practical and down to earth. So humanistic. So many good quotes. This book has filled my soul. Now, to take action and start worthy conversations.
Sheila Cameron
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this on a day when I needed it most. Simple conversations. Let's have more of them. ...more
Ed
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, I love Margaret J Wheatley's books ...more
Nick
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Personal takeaway: Conversations are how humanity collectively thinks. The better our conversation skills and the more we employ them, the more humanity will experience meaningful growth.
Frank
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Margaret Wheatley believes that we can change the world if we start listening to one another again. I agree with her and liked this book. She advocates real conversation. As she writes:

"Not mediation, negotiation, problem solving, debate, or public meetings. Simple, truthful conversation where we each have a chance to speak, we each feel heard, and we each listen well."

Or as she puts it plainly, "We can turn away, or we can turn toward. Those are the only two choices we have."

Along the way she h
Jacob Avery
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Rev. Linda
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
During our Connections Week at TCC, a speaker mentioned this book by Margaret Wheatley. I remembered reading her first edition in 2002, and this one was a nice refresher of her wonderful writing style. This second edition added two new conversations: What is my role in creating change? and Can I be fearless? One of my favorite sections was a poem that Wheatley included by Ina Hughes titled "A Prayer for Children", in particular the last two verses:

"And we pray for those Whose nightmares come in
Billicarole Evans
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is about is about communicating with one another. Wheatley writes how talking, face to face, is the easiest way of communication. This book is a great conversation starter. It inspires you to want to talk more, to make a difference. She explains how most of this world problems can be solved, by simply talking.
I liked this book, because it inspired me to want to talk more when working out problems. After reading her book, it changed the way that I start conversations, and the content w
Cathy
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that everyone should read. Meg Wheatley writes about human behavior and communication. This book, originally written in 2002 and augmented in 2008, speaks to the need for us to slow down, spend time in conversation and dialogue, and thereby build community.

Like Margaret Mead, she argues that great change happens when two or more people engage in meaningful conversations.

The book is short and full of inspirational ideas, poetry and 10 conversation starters.

Very highly recommended.
Katherine
This book shares some of the author's ideas about community and conversation, and promotes the concept that by changing how we think and engage with others we can change the world for good. While I did enjoy the book--particularly the collected stories, quotes, and poems on the subject--there was really nothing here that I haven't read elsewhere. If you don't mind a little repetitive writing it does provide the reader an opportunity to consider their own mode of thinking and communication. ...more
Jo
Mar 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's a good read to really spark up some conversations with others as well as yourself. I especially recommend sitting with the question of Am I Willing to Reclaim the Time to Think and What it means to be fully human.

At parts, I found myself getting a little bored because it can be repetitive.
Melissa
I really appreciate Meg Wheatley's writings. I didn't realize when I'd first heard of her that she was such a fan of Paolo Freire. I am too!

I found this book to be a great resource to take into some devotional time by myself. I plan to keep it close by for easy reference and self-directed reflection activities.
Paul
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and practical book for reflecting on how to make change in communities.

Margaret Wheatley is one of the foremost thinkers about "emergent culture." She is on the board of the Berkana Institute (www.berkana.org) which works worldwide for positive change.
RandomAnthony
Jan 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Somewhat interesting organizational studies text...not a ton of meat to it, you can read it in an hour, but still more useful than most of the bulls--t I read when getting my leadership degree. A very personal, meditative take on human interaction.
Molly Giddens
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Looking to use this with my cfg...

The majority is really great! There are parts that didn't move me, but maybe will at some other part in my life. I really look forward to using this with groups at school.
Liaken
Full of great thoughts about how talking to each other can change the world. Unfortunately, it's not a very compelling read. It loses momentum frequently. Thus, though it is an enjoyable book for the most part, it has been returned to the shelf for now. ...more

• The Art of Community: Seven Principles for Belonging
  • Collective Amnesia
  • Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters