Start by marking “Where the Stars Rise: Asian Science Fiction and Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Where the Stars Rise: Asian Science Fiction and Fantasy

Where the Stars Rise: Asian Science Fiction and Fantasy

ALL EMOTIONS ARE UNIVERSAL.

WE LIVE, WE DREAM, WE STRIVE, WE DIE . . .

Ea
Published October 8th 2017 by Laksa Media Groups Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Where the Stars Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Stars Rise

Sara
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fiction, fantasy
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this, for the most part. As with most anthologies I've read, this was hit and miss. My favourite was Memoriam by Priya Sridhar. Overall however, they were pretty decent and varied and I love that the anthology itself is so diverse in Asian fantasy characters. Would recommend.
Carly
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For me, the best speculative fiction seamlessly weaves together novel ideas and perspectives while keeping me enthralled in a good story. Where the Stars Rise promises just that, providing a wealth of viewpoints that are woefully underrepresented in much of mainstream speculative fiction. The stories range from Melissa Yuan-Innes' "Crash," a futuristic story of a sixteen-year-old's experience on a moon colony, to Ruhan Zhao's "My Left Hand," a short tale of high energy physics, time travel, and ...more
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
May 24, 2017 marked it as to-read
ASIAN SCI-FI AND FANTASY.
Neko Neha (BiblioNyan)
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection was extraordinary. While there were a few stories that resonated and reached out to me as a reader a bit more intimately than others, overall the experience was fantastic. This collection really emphasises the importance and storytelling potential that's derived from diverse cultural backgrounds, specifically in regards to Asian cultures and customs.

One of my favourite tales consisted of a universe where djinns were artificially created intelligences that grew to be sentient, and
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)

"More variety in our books, more colour in our characters, more of all the things that shape the voices and hearts of both."

A highly enjoyable, interesting collection of Asian-inspired science-fiction and fantasy short stories. The introduction to this collection was really thought-provoking ("It's no real secret that when it comes to Asian culture in books, much of what remains in the forms of stereotypes, tropes, cliches” ) and also gave rise to the quote up top.

I was also very i
Helen
I very much enjoyed this short story collection. The stories are a mix of sci-fi and fantasy and there are some absolute gems in it. I have loads of authors now I want to read more of!

My favourite stories include Back to Myan by Regina Kanyu Wang, Weaving Silk by Amanda Sun, A Star is Born by Miki Dare, The Bridge of Dangerous Longings by Rati Mehrotra and Old Souls by Fonda Lee.

Back to Myan is pure sci-fi. A mermaid on an alien planet whose homeworld overheats. She is evacuated and her tail re
Alexandra
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I received an e-ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was one of the few times a publisher on NetGalley granted my wish! And this anthology was an adventure, though space and regions where every part of the human psyche was covered. From lovers and drug dealers to revenge and politics this book has a gorgeous cast, amazing authors who I am going to check too (since I know only Amanda Sun!) and a glorious representation of the Asian culture, even through the spectrum of the sci
Sinead Anja (Huntress of Diverse Books)
Check out my book blog for more book reviews and other bookish posts!

I received an ARC of Where the Stars Rise from NetGalley. I requested sci-fi and fantasy anthology, because I really enjoy the contemplative nature of short stories and short stories introduce me to the writing styles of many authors, thus I can figure out if I want to purchase the books of the authors that I liked.

Most of the stories in this book are #ownvoices.

__

So many of the stories were wonderful. However, there were some
☙ percy ❧
anthologies, especially by multiple authors, are notoriously hit and miss; however i am pleased to announce that this one was mostly hits. the stories were very unique and varied, which meant i didn't get bored reading any of them. my favourites were old souls by fonda lee (which was absolutely bloody brilliant and one of the best short stories i've ever read; it's worth getting this anthology just for this one to be honest) and the datasultan of streets and stars by jeremy szal.
Kristene Perron
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect read to kick off the new year! I love short stories and this collection had such a dynamic variety of them that it was difficult to put down. It would be impossible to choose one favourite but "Old Souls" by Fonda Lee, "Rose's Arm" by Calvin D. Jim, "The Bridge of Dangerous Longings" by Rati Mehrotra, and "Crash" by Melissa Yuan-Innes.
Rob Boffard
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Where The Stars Rise is a hell of a lot of fun. Great writers, magnificent storytelling, and worlds I wanted to spend a lot more time in - no matter how dangerous they were. I had a blast reading it.
Jeremy Szal
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a bad habit with anthologies I'm in. I put my contributor copies on my author shelf and leave it to collect dust, telling myself I'll get around to it one day. I've been trying to unmake that habit, and have been picking my way through this anthology's two dozen or two stories, all centering around an Asian sci-fi/fantasy inspired setting, or taking place in Asia.

I'm biased with a capital B, obviously. But I really did enjoy this one. I tend to disagree with a lot of fellow editors with
Ashley Story
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy fuck, y'all. This collection had so much. Historical fiction, sci-fi, steampunk, futuristic, apocalyptic. I. Loved. Every. Single. One.

And just added a fuckton of titles by the authors to read this year. Fuck yeah.
Lola Et La Vie
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I finally got round to reading this anthology of Asian science fiction and fantasy stories. I was not sure what to expect with a wide variety of authors I was not familiar with, but it was a treat.

First of all, can I just mention how well designed the cover is. It really pulled me in. I know you should not judge a book by its cover, but it can help!

This anthology leans quite heavily towards the science fiction / futuristic side and that is a genre that I am much less familiar with than fantasy.
Alicia
This anthology has truly achieved diversity in more than one way. It contains stories that take place in all kinds of places, not limited to earth, under all kinds of circumstances and time frames. Even if they are all sci-fi and fantasy stories, they are incredibly different from each other in subject, style and mood. Some are light while others will leave you filled with emotions. The characters can be human or not, alive or death, from little kids to elderly, with superpowers, enhancements or ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
Where the stars rise by lucas k law.
Follow twenty-three science fiction and fantasy authors on their journeys through Asia and beyond. Stories that explore magic and science. Stories about love, revenge, and choices. Stories that challenge ideas about race, belonging, and politics. Stories about where we come from and where we are going. Each wrestling between  ghostly  pasts  and  uncertain  future. Each trying to find a voice in history.
A good read. Some stories were more enjoyable than others
Ekta
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Twenty-three authors come together to offer readers stories in a combined genre that, at first glance, seems to sit oddly: Asian science fiction/fantasy. Long-time readers of both genres may eye this collection with some skepticism. Rest assured, however, that these tales exhibit excellent storytelling. Each piece settles comfortably within the parameters of the science fiction and fantasy categories while at the same time providing glimpses into the beauty and mystery of Asian cultures.

As reade
Annie
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First published on my blog: Nonstop Reader

I can be fairly clueless.

I love anthologies and picked this one solely on the basis of its cover. I was not aware until I started reading the introduction (yes, I read the introduction and you should also) that it was a collection of Asian SF & fantasy.

Second background tidbit: I have been involved in fandom in one form or another for over 40 years until I mostly passed the baton on to my three minions (two females and a male).

This means, as a female
Lily
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diversity is really the best word for this book. There was a huge range of characters with backgrounds from all across Asia, showing the wide rage of different cultures that Asia has to offer. There were characters with all kinds of background, from rich to poor and so, so many characters with various scars or disabilities. Though there was a very sad lack of sexual and gender diversity, in all other respects, it showed so many different kinds of people.

It also showed a huge range of sci-fi, fr
Anna
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, arc
I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

One of the more uneven anthologies I've read in awhile. Some stories were stellar (Weaving Silk and Old Souls) but some lost my interest pretty quickly. What's interesting about having a scifi&fantasy book written by all Asians is just how broad the stories get. The stories take a lot from many different cultures and find a way to mesh the past or a specific culture with a scifi or fantasy plot. For some stories, it's more a
Susan
Copy given to me by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

First time a wish of mine has been granted on NetGalley!! I was so happy!! This was a fantastic collection of truly diverse and fascinating SFF.

I wanted this mainly for Karin Lowachee's Meridian since I'm a huge fan of her Warchild books - and I found it excellent. I loved Paris Azarcon's character, and oh how much it hurt to read his story. Especially since I love Cairo Azarcon so so much. Just. Oh my god.
And I love how she writes,
Kelly
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this Asian-inspired sci-fi/fantasy anthology with short stories featuring Asian main characters in all different walks of life, scenarios, and situations. We’ve got traditional mythology retellings, a take on superheroes, historical Asia, outer space, regular people who are anything but ordinary… but what I loved most was that I could see myself through each and every single one of these stories. I think this anthology is the perfect collection of short stories to inspire Asians ...more
Sam H (Will Read for Booze)
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd say 80% of these stories were 3* or higher. Well done! There were literal mermaids, reincarnations, creepy-ass spiders, stories about grief, racism, kinship, oppression, and even superheroes! All either set in an Asian country (including West Asia... not always represented) or had an Asian main character. Truly loved it.

Received an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
J.D. DeHart
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Readers of steampunk and William Gibson, as well as fans of Ghost in the Shell and other such works, will find a quick kinship with this collection.

There is a lot here to enjoy with some authors writing action-packed tales and others writing epistolary explorations, with a wide range in between.

Although I was unfamiliar with these authors, there was much here to enjoy.
CR
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, this was a wonderful collection of Asian inspired science fiction short stories. t breaks away from the Asian stereotype. The authors did a wonderful job t storytelling and creating beautiful worlds. I did prefer some stories over others but I did enjoy them all.
Troy Campbell
May 31, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: science-fiction
You had me at Istanbul. Across the Bosphorus.

Rico Wants To Know More
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this review copy in exchange for an honest review.

The first thing that drew me to this book on Netgalley was the cover, I’ll admit it. It is absolutely stunning and just for that reason I don’t understand why I haven’t seen this book around the blogging sphere more. But the second was the anthologies under title; ‘Asian Science Fiction and Fantasy’. I love fantasy, and while I might not read it enough, I am also quite fond of Science Fiction. But let
Priya Sridhar
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Where the Stars Rise put out a call for Asian authors to submit science fiction and fantasy based on Asian cultures, and what we learned. Someone asked if I was properly Asian, since I'm Indian and not Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean or Japanese. I thought about it, and then I found out that one of the editors was Indian. That cemented my decision to write a tale that fit the guidelines, and see if it got accepted or not. Being published in this anthology is a privilege, and one that I will treasure. ...more
Krystal
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This amazing anthology of brilliant works transcends past and present, delves into history and mythology, while dabbling in political commentary in these imaginative worlds.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Sea Is Ours: Tales from Steampunk Southeast Asia
  • Hurricane Heels
  • Wicked Wonders
  • First: Sensual Lesbian Stories of New Beginnings
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2016: People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue (Lightspeed Magazine, Issue #73)
  • A Fantasy Medley 3 (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #0.3)
  • Junk Mage
  • Unruly Creatures: Stories
  • Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 1
  • Failure to Communicate (Xandri Corelel #1)
  • The Hour of Daydreams