Start by marking “Dark Lessons” as Want to Read:
Dark Lessons

Dark Lessons

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  528 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
One hot night with a devastatingly handsome stranger. That’s all it was supposed to be. So when my darkly domineering one-night stand turns out to be one of my instructors at Quantico, my life becomes far too complicated. I’m training as an FBI agent, but Jason has other forms of training in mind. Like bending me over his desk for a spanking.

I try to resist him, but soon w
Published April 2nd 2017

To ask other readers questions about Dark Lessons, please sign up.
Julia Sykes Hi! If you enjoy Dark Lessons, you will probably also like my Impossible Series. However, all of my books are designed to stand alone, so you can pick…moreHi! If you enjoy Dark Lessons, you will probably also like my Impossible Series. However, all of my books are designed to stand alone, so you can pick up any one book and follow a complete story ARC. There will be a book about another couple after Dark Lessons, but DL is Jason and Natalie's full story. I hope this helps!(less)

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
description

description

descriptionThis cover is just OK. I am not sure ANY cover would be a good representation of this book to be honest. The composition isn't that great either. The text at the top and bottom is stretched too much giving it a skewed look.description

descriptionThe first half of this book was really good. It was well-written. Nicely pace. Was smokin' hot. Had likable characters. Everything was just going so well. It was looking to be a 4-4.5 Star book. Then at 50%, it took the most unbelievably BIZARRE turn that left me going...uh wh
Cristina | CristiinaReads
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-books
➳Action both in and out of the bed is coming from this bad boy...

➳ARC kindly provided by publisher, in exchange for an honest review…

➳Follow Me On:
BlogInstagramFacebookTwitter
Moriah
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another awesome book by Ms. Sykes!

Dark Lessons is very interesting in the way it develops. The two main characters find themselves in a sticky situation after a night of hot sex.

Natalie is tough and independent, and will stop at nothing to reach her goal in becoming a field agent for Quantico. Jason is forced to take a new job as a instructor at Quantico, where he meets a woman that turns his whole life upside down.

Dark Lessons is packed with action, and hot/explicit romance scenes. Obviously
Jan
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bdsm, men-in-uniform
3 My Kitten stars.

It was o.k, parts of this had me rolling my eyes with the come for me, your mine and other sex scene commands and it was a book I was checking to see how long was left even though it did pick up pace and have different action near the end.

Jason is a ptsd sufferer serving in the FBI also into BDSM. Natalie is a new recruit in the FBI. They both have a one night stand neither of them knowing that their paths would cross again.

Natalie starts her training for the FBI & Jason
Siobhan
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dark Lessons was my first Julia Sykes read, and it’s certainly left me excited to read more of her work. In fact, I already plan to pick up her Impossible series to see whether it’s as addictive as this one.

You see, Dark Lessons is one of those reads where you’re sucked right in. As soon as you start the story, you’re pulled into the world. It was a one-sit read, every time I told myself I’d be putting it aside at the end of a chapter, I was hit by something that left me wanting more. Whether it
Shannon
3.5*

With Dark Lessons it's like you get 2 books in 1.
The first half of the book is sweet and sexy, with Jason and Natalie getting to know each other, discovering how really compatible they are together, and navigating that fine line between student & teacher and lovers. I thought this section was really enjoyable. Natalie is very focused on her training to become the best FBI agent she possibly can, and Jason is dealing with, and still reeling from, things that happened in his past. Even wi
Nance
3-3.5 star rating

I have to think on this one first. I'm really struggling with how to rate it. Part of me loved it. Then another part thought some of it was a little unbelievable. And, when it comes to BDSM, sometimes I love it, and sometimes I hate it. I guess I'm kind of in the middle with this one. I did get kind of sick of the "kitten" thing. Jason just seemed to be a little too much of an alpha male to keep up with that nickname. Well, let me get my thoughts together...
Millie
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Everything was fine until (view spoiler)
What. The. Actual. Fuck ?

The author said that the reader doesn't need to read the Impossible Series to understand. Can I say I seriously disagree ? What a mess.
EroticaAfterDark (Lilith)
SALE
SAVE $3 Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon AU

dark
BdSM

AUTHORS: Book your slot for FREE: https://t.co/xx2kQ7YxVt
READERS: Subscribe for FREE: http://goo.gl/eImdom
Regan
"Because I know you're a strong, capable woman, but I'm going to make you purr."

Natalie Simmons has worked her entire life to escape the Southern Belle life she was brought into and trained to become an elite student at Quantico. Agent Jason Harper has been under the thumb of his overbearing father and due to PTSD struggles he’s been demoted from field agent to Quantico teacher. Imagine both of their shock when they discover their student/teacher association after a steamy one-night hook-up! J
EpicRomanceReviews
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“I’m going to make you purr…”

IN DARK LESSONS, USA Today Bestselling author Julia Sykes takes her trademark dark and thrillingly erotic romantic suspense trope and gives it a DELICIOUSLY TABOO teacher/student twist! And omgeeeee I loved every spine-tingling moment!!!!

This action-packed page-turner has everything I could ask for in a dark romantic thriller. Drama. Intrigue. Edge-of-your-seat peril. Blazing hot BDSM. Heart gripping angst. And, of course, a dominantly sexy FBI protector who oozes s
Sharon
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow…this was so different. We start with Natalie who is following her dream of becoming an FBI agent at Quantico. She has a one night stand with Jason who is an instructor, but not any instructor. Turns out he is fighting demons and has been pulled from the field to deal with them, but she is the light he needs to make it back. Just when things are finally ready to get to the HEA Natalie is suddenly gone and Jason spirals down a dark path.

This was a complex story (especially when we are trying t
Susan (susayq ~)
Well. That was WAAAAAYYYY darker than I imagined when I started it. I mean, it was so dark and twisted it creeped me out and made me uncomfortable. But it was well written and captivating and kept me turning pages.

I don't want to say too much for fear of giving away the whole story, but Jason and Natalie met one night at a bar and had a hot one night stand. The next day, she appeared in his hand to hand combat class at Quantico. They knew they shouldn't be together, but they couldn't stay away f
R.f. Greenwood
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, arc
I wanted to like this book i really did.
To me the blurb had me really interested but when i read it, i don't know if i was in a weird mood and just wasn't feeling it but i just couldn't get on with it.
I found myself skim reading and then regretting it because how can i give a honest review if i don't have a clue what I'm reading so i went back and read it.

It started off pretty well and still i was looking forward to it but i don't know what changed but i found myself putting it down and having n
Anas Attic  Book Blog
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, audiobook

Dark Lessons by Julia Sykes
Narrated by Fred Blogs and Lauren Sweet
Standalone BDSM Suspense Romance
I had no idea what to expect with Dark Needs by Julia Sykes . I was just going through the list of Wicked Book Weekend authors and seeing which ones had audiobooks available. Since she was the sponsor of our BDSM demonstration, I knew her books were BDSM romance, but that was all I knew.

When I started Dark Lessons, honestly, I was very “meh” about it. It seemed to traditional and almost old fa
Christy
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a bit dark, so be prepared if you read it.

I loved Natalie, she is strong, capable, and relentless when it comes to her taking care of herself and not being manhandled by just anyone. She said to one man "the last man who touched me without my permission got his nose broken. Let me be clear I will report you for sexual harassment if you don't take your hand off me right now". This is one of the reasons her submission to Jason is such a great read. She doesn't have to submit to anyon
April Symes
Dark Lessons is a book that will suck you in and keep you hooked. It has so many dark twists and turns, that you don’t know if you’re coming or going.
We start with Natalie who is following her dream of becoming an FBI agent at Quantico who then has this one night stand with a hot hunk named Jason who she finds out is her instructor at Quantico. Thing is Jason was FBI and was demoted to Quantico because he is fighting his demons and his father is some super high ranking official who gets him sen
Lynda Mandarino
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*There are no spoilers in my review.*
*This book can be read as a standalone, but as a superfan of this world, my recommendation is to read ALL of the Impossible books and novellas to best appreciate all of the characters and the relationships.*
*Trigger warning* I don't normally need one. I laugh in the face of trigger warnings. The way Sykes writes panic attacks made me pant several times. I had to put the book down a few times to avoid having one just because of the empathy I felt for these cha
Tracy- OMGReads
Dark Lessons starts off strong and sexy, and it just keeps getting more intense from there. Jason and Natalie have one electric night together and that's all it can ever be. Natalie is starting the next chapter of her life, and Jason is just looking for a fresh start, but can't catch a break.

This book caught my attention from the first page and didn't let up. The story is told in parts, giving a little bit of a jumpy feel. The storyline is sexy, twisty, and made me very curious to read more wit
Marie
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok So we have Jason he is a FBI Agent that is Suffering from PTSD. He is sent to Train new agents when he meets Natalie. They Bond almost instantly. The attraction is so Hot Between them. He is a Very Broken but Sweet Dom. She is new to the world of BDSM. She is So Tough and Feisty . But she is the perfect Sub for him. They just Melt for each other. She is so Supports him so much and he becomes strong again. They love each other Hard. But then there is Twist in the story , Tragedy and Action. I ...more
Angela
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, this book didn't go anywhere near where I thought it would. I was pretty pissed off for about 3 or 4 minutes. I kept checking how much in the book I had left. I was thrilled with the ending for two reasons. One, Jason got what he deserved and two, the into to a new book was laid. Now, this is "stand alone" in that you could stop reading after this one but who in their right mind would?! The book does have closure but hints at the next one. I'm so excited to read Sam's story!
Heather Marie
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was AMAZING!!!!!! I love anything Julia writes but Jason & Natalie are the hottest couple ever! This book was exciting from beginning to end with some unexpected surprises along the way. And the ending has me so ready for Sam's book. I highly recommend this book right along with anything else Julia has written.
Carol
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG, Seriously will keep you so on the edge throughout this story! So intense, exciting, when it involves Chicago and those FBI bunch one never knows where it will lead. Jason struggles with his memories from his time in the military, PTSD, now dealing with being in the field as an FBI agent. New recruits at the academy, and time for Jason to deal with his past. Get ready, so much you won't see coming, shocking, devastating, heartbreaking, awesome story! Great writing, Enjoy reading!
Ame Eggers
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dark Lessons finally gave us the enigmatic Jason"s story and it wasn't what I expected at all...it was so much more!!! The one thing this book didn't have was the usual HEA playfulness that we have gotten from many of Julia"s couples that we fans have come to love This book is all about love and loss and darkness and is just fantastic. I received an ARC for my honest review. This book is heart wrenching and yet makes you still believe in soul mates
Shelli
This grabs your attention from the first page and doesn't let go! It was a great story, filled with romance, hot sex, suspense, heartbreak and more. It was a great thrill ride, with a surprising ending that leaves you wanting more!! Anyone who enjoys dark romance will want to read this!
I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Tere Henriquez
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heart stopping. Dangerously addictive. Jason and Natalie are an awesome couple who have been through hardships that no other would survive from. Can't wait to read the rest! Julia is amazing in describing the feelings that each person conveys in the moment.
L.K. Shaw
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Julia Sykes knows how to write dark romance that sucker punches you right in the gut. She completely nailed it with Dark Lessons. I devoured this book and my mind experienced a gamut of emotions. Kink, angst, and a love so deep even death can't destroy it. This is an absolute must-read!
Marlene Davis
Liked the book and the characters. Loved the twists and turns in the book and the unexpected ending for the bad guy character in the book. Looking forward to the next in the series. Highly recommend for the reader who is into a darker passion and not for the feint of heart.
Kristy Odom
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it

ARC for honest review. I loved this book! Jason was swoon worthy dominant. Natalie had training to kick butt but was also submissive. It was filled with twists and turns that I didn't see coming.
Polly Barreto
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first part of the book titled “Training”. I loved how Jason and Natalie meet and get to know each other. Then there is the awkward OMG moment when they realize that are the teacher and student at Quantico for the next few months. Can they become lovers or will their paths, and her fellow classmates, make them each take in a different direction? I loved the BDSM scenes that these two dabble in. Just really don’t enjoy the word “kitten” , but I know and understand that it is a term use ...more
Julia Sykes has always kept dark stories tucked away in her mind, so she was thrilled when she discovered that other people actually want to read them. Her books blend romance, suspense, and BDSM.

You can usually find Julia in Starbucks with a venti iced coffee clutched in her hand (two pumps of mocha, liberal half and half). If she's not in Starbucks, you will find her with a glass of prosecco in