Start by marking “The House Next Door” as Want to Read:
The House Next Door

The House Next Door

A ghost story

I live next to a haunted house.

I began to suspect something was wrong with the gothic building when its family fled in the middle of the night, the children screaming, the mother crying. They never came back to pack up their furniture.

No family stays long. Animals avoid the place. Once, I thought I saw a woman's silhouette pacing through the upstairs room...
Published March 15th 2017 by Black Owl Books PTY LTD

To ask other readers questions about The House Next Door, please sign up.
Karel I found mine at Amazon. Also go to Ms. Coates site and ask her.…moreI found mine at Amazon. Also go to Ms. Coates site and ask her. (less)

Start your review of The House Next Door
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
That was creepy fun!!

Happy Reading!

Mel
Kimberly
THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR: A Ghost Story, by Darcy Coates, was just the kind of ghost story I love to read. Helen Marwick isn't your "romantic-style" ghost here, she's a malevolent entity that causes new homeowners to leave, screaming, in the middle of the night--never to return, even for their belongings.

Jo has witnessed several past owners from her own home, next door.

". . . A fascination has slowly built over the four years I've lived beside the house."

Most of the neighbors ignore the Marwick
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
3.5 Stars

Jo lives home next to a haunted house. For years she has seen families move in next door and leave in the hurry in the middle of the night shortly after the movie. The entire neighborhood avoids it, including Jo’s own cats. The lights turn on randomly at night, the doors slam on their own, and birds keep flying into it and breaking their neck.

Now a desperate young woman moves in and Jo cannot help but feel protective of her. There is something Anna isn’t telling her about her own past,
Shaina
3.5
This was good, but she has dazzled me much more than this. This was also unique and different which I appreciated. It was a little like a cozy to me with a bit of a scare.
Susan
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts
Re-read September 2019
I love Darcy Coates.

--------------------------------

This was exactly what I needed!

I’ve been in such a book slump all week, I was ready to give up reading altogether (not really ;) ). But this one I liked! It’s so good to sometimes read something completely different. I was ready to take a break from romance, and luckily Darcy Coates always delivers.

Jo lives next to a haunted house. The family next door suddenly left in the middle of the night and so far it’s been
Marie
This is no cozy ghost story as author Darcy Coates plops the reader into the Marwick House where no one can seem to live in the house for a very long time. There is one powerful ghost that refuses to let anyone share the house with her and she will do anything to kick them out.

Until a new neighbor, Anna moves in that is down and out with her life as she wants to try to start over in this house. Her neighbor, Jo, has seen families come and go as long as she has lived next door. She becomes
Mehsi
What will you do when you live next to a haunted house and someone new and seemingly kind moves in?

So, this is my second Darcy Coates book in two days, and my third in a week. :P Yep, I just adore Darcy Coates, she writes some amazing horror books.

The story was creepy, right from the beginning it was haunting. The family shooting and running away like mad? The feeling of an oppressive house that is finally sleeping once more. The arrival of Anna and all the things that happened when she moved
Amitaf0208
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
this was predictable. And I had just read The Carrow Haunt which was a 4.5 star for me.
{ U n s o l v e d M y s t e r y }

October read 2017 - #2:
You did it again it again, Darcy!
Totally nailed it. I'm so glad I discovered your books!
I'm one of your biggest fans.

This was a most excellent read for this time of year. It was creepy and full of atmosphere.

I give this book a 4.5.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
I do love a haunted house narrative, and the good news is, it looks like Darcy Coates has a bunch of other titles I can try!

I liked the set-up of this book: a woman lives next to a house she's pretty sure is haunted. She's seen some weird things and the last people left in a hurry. Now there's a new woman living there alone and things go from spooky to downright terrifying. What's a good neighbor to do?

This book was easy and quick to read. It doesn't have a lot of depth or character development,
Eve
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghost
Genre: Fiction > Horror > Ghotic

I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I don't like to read ghost stories because they are usually too spooky and disturbing for my tastes but I guess I've read bad ghost stories before because this one was really pleasant surprise. It had right amount of spookiness and scare but it also had something else that made me read on. There’s also a right amount of humor which is always necessary in to relieve some tension.

Do You Believe in Ghosts?

I
Kelly B
Told in the first person point of view, Jo is intrigued when a young woman named Anna moves into the mysterious house next door. No one seems to stay in the house for long; the last occupants left in the middle of the night, leaving all their belongings behind. As Jo and Anna become friends, they start to unravel the mystery of what is going on in Anna's house.

The House Next Door: A Ghost Story is an entertaining and quick read. I thought there were a few creepy moments, and the mystery
Jye
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmm. I must admit that I was a bit disappointed in this book. It didn't have the feel that I've come to enjoy from a Darcy Coates novel. Whilst it was still an enjoyable quick read, I just wasn't quite as hooked. The quality of writing and characters however were as good as ever.

I'll list what I did like in the following spoiler tags (view spoiler)
Terri Vlasak
Jul 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Didn't find this scary - and I read this in the dark by a firepit - and found the plot silly and predictable. The scariest people in the book are the ones who are ok with a body buried in their backyard and the environment chosen to raise an infant. Decision-making of characters when supposedly 'sane' is not credible. Disappointing. No more Darcy Coates for me.
Lady Delacour
used a few times.
Hollow Well
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, ghost
I took a bit of a turn from my standard reading fare. This book is just a good old, straight-up ghost story.

Jo is a cat-lady-in-training loner who happens to live next to a haunted house. She witnessed the previous owners grabbing the kids and getting the hell out in the middle of the night - leaving everything behind and never coming back. Eight months later, Anna moves in to the house. She's sort of hiding from her overbearing ex-boyfriend.

Jo and Anna strike up a friendship and consider the
Peter
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jo, lives next to the Marwick House. One family who lived in the house for a very short time, left in the middle of the night, and never returned for their belongings. The neighbors, would go out of there way, to avoid this so called haunted house. The house had been abandon for almost eight months, and then Anna moved in. Anna, was down on her luck, and was hoping to start her life over again. Jo never crossed the boundary, between her property and the house next store. After a few days, Jo ...more
Crystal Gray
Not bad, but not one of my favorites by this author either.
Jess ✩
2 stars are for the cats.
Νατάσα Παυλίτσεβιτς
Creepy, fun story about a haunted house. Very easy to read and with a couple of disturbing scenes. However I thought some things happened just to serve the plot. Plus the voices of the characters could be more unique, especially in long dialogues.
Jessica
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
There are some mild spoilers in this review.

Sadly I found this book really boring. The characters are shallow and I couldn't believe in their motivations. There was no atmosphere or detailed descriptions. The plot was predictable and trite. Things would be fine one sentence and then all of a sudden there was a haunting with no build up or suspense which made the potential for creepiness fall flat.

And as for the creep-factor, which is what I was looking for, I normally scare easily when it comes
Kathy
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Darcy Coates is a NEW author to me and I must say I loved her writing. She brings you into the story within 3 pages. I didnt want to put The house next store down!

Anna moves into a new house "Marwick House"
but little did she know its haunted.
Jo is her next door neighbor who has seen plenty of people run from the house. Jo and Anna become best friends and soon try to figure out how to get rid of the ghost living in Annas home.

Country Gals Book Blog
Mortisha Cassavetes
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Another amazing book by Darcy Coates. I just loved it. Creepy Goodness! The book follows Jo who lives next door to the Haunted House. The house has a long violent past and can never keep occupants. The newest owner, Anna thought she had got lucky to find the house so quick and in her price range but things started to happen. I don't want to go into the story more as to not spoil it but I highly recommend this book especially to those who love a "not so friendly" ghost.
Stacy
This was a fast moving scary read. I was reading this before bedtime and beginning to wonder if this was a mistake. Books usually don't have that kind of a hold on me. Darcy Coates certainly has an imagination. She writes a good story without the profanity that goes with the genre with many writers. ~~~ contains a few swears.
Allyson Grove
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice creepy read. I liked the story and the characters.
Gomathy Subramanian
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars !!!
Lisa Demarest
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good, kept your attention. Read it in three sittings.
Isis De Leija
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
It was creepy enough, but it seemed a little hollow to me.
Patti
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I was looking for a good haunted story without lots of gore and this was perfect. I highly recommend it if you enjoy ghost stories.
Ruth Santiago
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I would like the book... I listened to it on audio book... But it had a lot of scary points... I suggest you don't read or listen to it at night unless you want to be in a blanket burrito during the night...

• Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • The Haunting of Abram Mansion: A Riveting Haunted House Mystery
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, 1)
  • Forgotten Men
  • Malefic (House of Souls #2)
  • The Nursery (The Bayou Hauntings Book 3)
  • The House of Long Shadows (House of Souls #1)
  • The Splendor of Fear
  • Black Acres: The Complete Collection
  • Don't Look Back
  • The Haunting of Brynlee House: Based on a Real Haunted House
  • The Haunting of Aldburn Park
  • The Coldwater Haunting
  • A House by the Sea (Winthrop House #1)
  • The Haunting of Rainier Asylum (The Beckoning Dead Book 2)
  • The Demonic
  • Billy Whistler
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a