Start by marking “Doughnuts and Deception (Peridale Cafe Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Doughnuts and Deception (Peridale Cafe Mystery #3)

Doughnuts and Deception

(Peridale Cafe Mystery #3)

Julia never expected to be caught up in another murder investigation, but when she discovers that homeless people are dying suspiciously and the police aren't investigating, she can't sit back and do nothing. After promising her young lodger, Jessie, that she will do everything she can to help, Julia finds herself diving headfirst into the case, aided by her new Detective ...more
Published March 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Doughnuts and Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doughnuts and Deception

Noriko
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I think this series gets better and stronger each book and this is by far the best so far, as far as I'm concerned.

The writing is strong, compelling and I loved the mystery plot comes with a lot of tension in her books. As I said in my review for her previous book, I think Agatha Frost is great at generating tension and her flair is evident in this book too.

The plot which is closely intermingled with a social issue - homeless - also caught my eye. As a newbie in cozy-mystery genre, I can't say
Sabine
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
The 3rd book in the Peridale Cafe Mystery series is my favourite so far. The books are getting better and better!The last 3rd of the book kept me on the edge of my seat.
Julia is a wonderful caring character that you just have to love. We find out a lot more about Jessie's past, the homeless girl that Julia has taken in and we also get to meet Granny Dot again who brought a smirk to my face more than once - she's one character!
A highly recommended read.
*Thanks to the author for providi
Amina
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
As a series of murders targeting homeless people doesn't seem to bother the police who couldn't even make a connection, Julia, as always decides to act. With Barker and Jess as reinforcement.
The plot was strong and nicely done even if the culprit can be guessed pretty early but this didn't keep me from enjoying the rest of my read.
The end of the book was the best part as most of the details were given then and also because of the tension that rose when piecing the pieces of the puzzle together.
A
Lola
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was in a cozy mystery mood so I decided to pick up the next Peridale Cafe Mystery and it fit my mood perfectly. I quickly finished this one and had a lot of fun reading it. It's fun to follow Julia along while she tries to solve yet another murder. The plot in this one was slightly different and a bit less traditional cozy mystery plot line, but it totally worked here.

There has been a series of death's among the homeless that the police isn't paying attention to, but Julia is. She figures they
Amy
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These mysteries get better and better, Agatha does an amazing job of keeping us wondering, making us laugh and making us worry about those characters we've grown to love.

Julia and now her sidekick Jessie are back at it. Someone is killing homeless people, men in particular, whom Jessie has come to care for during her time with them. The cops aren't listening, they just say it's drugs or their lifestyle. But Jessie and Julia are questioning this. Bring in the big guns with Barker by their side, t
Marcella
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The last thing bakery owner Julia expected was to be caught up in yet another murder mystery. When she goes with Jessie, her young lodger, to visit the homeless sanctuary where Jessie once lived, she is told about these mysterious deaths that have been occurring in this community. There are no obvious marks or signs of how each homeless men died. The police are not looking into these as murders because the deceased are homeless it must be drug related.

After Julia speaks to some of the other home
Tonya Polk
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Julia is back on the case, but this one is personal. A homeless community is being targeted by a killer, and Julia won't stop until she finds out the truth. We also learn a bit more about Jessie's past, and see a whole new Julia emerge from an experience that changes her and her relationship with those closest to her. This book is very special, and very emotional, and Julia's character truly shone through like a beautiful beacon of light ❤❤ this one is truly a gem!!
Mahoghani 23
Julia is just getting smarter in each book. This time, she resolved the murder of homeless men better than the cops go cruising the neighborhoods.

It’s witty, simple writing that’s fun and interesting to read. Nothing too drastic and demonic that will cause you to wonder about the mind of the author.
Jody Holford
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute

Another cute one- more of a realistic tone with a real world problem in this one. Enjoyed the development of the characters
Rekha Rao
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Out of the first three Peridale cozy mysteries that I have read so far, this one is no doubt, the best! With each book, the story just gets better and better.

In this (third) installment of the Peridale cafe Cozy series, Julia's loving and caring side takes you to a whole new level. After vouching to take care of Jessie (in the first book), Julia now decides to do whatever it takes to save the homeless. She almost gets her boyfriend killed in the process!

Though there is not much of sleuthing in t
Karen
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.75
Leuk om verder in de wereld te vertoeven, is echt wel cozy, maar deze keer net iets te snel door wie de dader was...
Amy
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
It was just ok. I didn't enjoy the mystery as much as the prior books. However, I did like the continuing development of the quasi mother-daughter relationship between Julia and Jessie. The romance with Detective Barker seems forced at times, though Julia continues to compare her feelings about him with her ex-husband. I'll give the next book a read..
Patrizia
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Questo libro mi ha fatto riflettere sulla condizione dei barboni...
Il libro è abbastanza corto, direi quasi un racconto lungo, ma la storia gialla è avvincente e, come ho già detto, fa riflettere; in più c'è anche una bella spruzzata consistente di sentimenti. Ottima lettura veloce.
Kristen
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, ebooks-borrowed
The overall tone of the book was sad, as was the resolution. The mystery itself was pretty easy to solve.
Shannon
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Just alright

Way too soon for this relationship to be where it is. Also, too little secondary character involvement for anyone who isn't Jessie.
Jenny
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the third book in the series, and I've read them all and enjoyed them. Good, fairly light reading, with good stories played out by characters I could believe in and like.
The author is unfortunately in the habit of having her characters "smirk" at each other. I've always thought smirking was rather an unpleasant, smug smile, but Agatha Frost seems to use the word for any shared smile between characters, even when the scene playing out is more romantic than smug or conceited. As smirking
Mary C
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the first two books in the series but this one I loved. The author has painted interesting mysteries and endearing characters that I have become personally attached. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in this series.
Cynthia Grove
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was an okay read - I wouldn't want to turn anyone off reading it - but it didn't flow well to me. It felt as if put together in pieces, also the denoument was fairly guessable quite early on. The second book in the series was, I thought, better than the first but this third one was a slight disappointment. However it addresses well a serious problem of how society views and deals with its outliers being in this case the homeless; I have only admiration for how the author has handled this and ...more
Nikki Brown
This is the 3rd book in the Peridale series, about Julia, Barker and Jessie abd Julua's coffee shoo.

This book is set around the suspicious deaths of Jessies homeless friends, the ones she stayed with before Julia offered her a home.

Barker becomes involved, but things take a turn for the worse.

These books are idea if you want a book which can be read in an evening (albeit a long one! ) or in a couple of sessions. They can be read out of order but to keep the continuity is best to read in the ser
Cheryl
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Donuts, deception, and murder

Julia does it again! Murders involving a group of homeless people and the involvement of local police, lead Julia on a hairy investigation of her own. Characters are introduced by the author so that the reader gets to know them in a way to fully understand them and see what they are seeing. Great introduction to the homeless and their lives to understand what life is really all about. Beautiful story. Must read even if you don't read the rest of this series.
Lisa Cullinan
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Julia is at it again!

I loved Doughnuts and Deception just as much as the two prior in this fantastic series!
Our favorite baker, Julia, finds herself trying to solve a series of murders taking place at a burned out industrial building, where a congregation of homeless people have taken up residence. Again, Agatha Frost takes us on crazy ride of another whodunit with plenty of twists and turns and a one-of-a-kind cast. Fantastic addition to the Peridale Cafe Mystery Series. On to the next! Five-
chrissie
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cozy addicts and young teens
Shelves: 2018, cosy, crime, fiction
I love this series. OK so I hope the real police don not the same sort of behaviour as Barker but I think the characters are good, including the incidental characters and this story has a good social awareness built in.
A really quick read with a little humour and romance thrown in and the reminder that family (however constructed) is a good place to be, even with all it's ups and downs.
Linda Martin
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good mystery with touching characters.

This is a very good mystery. There are great characters that make you care and think about humanity and your own perceptions. I highly recommend this book
Yvonna
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick to read cozy mystery

While this story seemed to flow easily, the characters make the difference. I'm liking these characters more and more. It's amazing how well the characters are becoming defined in such short novels.
Danielle Urban
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Doughnuts and Deception by Agatha Frost is another brilliant masterpiece. Julia is a baker but also one of the best ameature sleuths ever. She practically does the entire police force’s work for them. And not a single officer believes her when she’s informing them about a new case and why they should investigate it. However, there’s one investigator on her side…Barker. He’s completely fallen in love with the stubborn, brace, and smart Julia. Julia also likes Barker just as much. Julia’s gran is ...more
Jenn
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore this series and this is a fantastic addition! Julia is back in action, with a new mystery to solve. This time around she finds herself looking into mysterious deaths occurring in a homeless camp just outside of town. It's a bit personal for her since that's where Jessie used to live before coming to stay with Julia.

Julia and Jessie go to visit and bring donuts and they are made aware of the deaths, 3 at the start and Julia notices that it seems strange that these seemingly he
Sabine
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: special-books
When she finds her foster daughter stuffing food in a bag because she feels guilty abandoning her fellow homeless people, Julia South decides to help with food. When she and Jessie bring a huge platter of homemade doughnuts and coffee to the homeless people who live in the ruins of Fenton Industrial Park. When they get there, they learn from Tommy, a friend of Jessie that there was a series of suspicious deaths among the homeless people there. Of course Julia starts to investigate with the help ...more
Connie
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful mystery

This is the third book in the Peridale Cafe Cozy mysteries. I enjoyed this one the most so far. In this book cafe owner Julia South, learns more about the teenage, homeless girl, Jessie, that she has taken into her home and now fostering. Always wondering more about Jessie's homeless life, Julia finds herself smack dab in the middle of it as they visit the Fenton Industrial Park area, so Jessie can check on those she left behind. After quickly meeting the leader as it seems,
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

The third installment of the series is darker than ever and more personal.
This time it is all about Jessie's former "home" outside Peridale.

Investigation lead Julia again into a dangerous situation and this time, Barker is along her side.

It is really charming how the plot is developed and although you can read the book as a standalone title it is better to have the details of the other books. You really enjoy the ch
Kiarra
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
So far out of only three books I've read in this series, THIS is my favorite one! The story line seemed so much more raw to me and just... I don't know to explain. It was very real. Talking about the homeless population and definitely about the main character humbling herself more after learning more about what goes on in a world she is unfamiliar with.

Julia has become more lovable for me. At first she got on my nerves from how much she was kind of undermining Barker and his job (what a sweet g
  • Truffles and Troubles: Book 1 in The Chocolate Cafe Series
  • Till Death Do Us Tart
  • Menace in Christmas River (Christmas River #8)
  • Wicked Wildlife (Cozy Corgi Mysteries #8)
  • Yes Chef, No Chef
  • How to Murder a Millionaire (Movie Club Mysteries #3)
  • Secrets and Bow Ties (Secrets, #3)
  • Killer Dress (Shot & Framed #1)
  • A Hoale Lot of Trouble (Hoale Construction Mystery #1)
  • Christmas At Snowdrop Cottage
  • Naked In Knightsbridge
  • Death of a Double Dipper (Stormy Day Mystery #5)
  • Spring Shadow (Season's Pass Book 2)
  • Dead Weight (Cold Case Psychic #4)
  • Falling for Him (the Complete Series)
  • Dutch Me Deadly (Passport to Peril, #7)
  • Perfect Weddings
Agatha Frost is a lover of all things cozy. She is a crime fiction fanatic and enjoys nothing more than sinking her teeth into a good murder, with a cup of tea and a cat curled up on her knee.

She lives in a quaint village in a sleepy corner of England, which provides more than ample inspiration for her Peridale Cafe Mystery series.

Sign up to the newsletter at www.agathafrost.com

Peridale Cafe Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Pancakes and Corpses (Peridale Cafe Mystery #1)
  • Lemonade and Lies (Peridale Cafe Mystery #2)
  • Chocolate Cake and Chaos (Peridale Cafe Mystery #4)
  • Shortbread and Sorrow (Peridale Cafe Mystery #5)
  • Espresso and Evil (Peridale Cafe Mystery #6)
  • Macarons and Mayhem (Peridale Cafe Mystery #7)
  • Fruit Cake and Fear (Peridale Cafe Mystery #8)
  • Birthday Cake and Bodies (Peridale Cafe Mystery #9)
  • Gingerbread and Ghosts (Peridale Cafe Mystery #10)
  • Cupcakes and Casualties (Peridale Cafe Mystery #11)