Start by marking “Doughnuts and Deception (Peridale Cafe Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Doughnuts and Deception (Peridale Cafe Mystery #3)

Doughnuts and Deception

(Peridale Cafe #3)

Julia never expected to be caught up in another murder investigation, but when she discovers that homeless people are dying suspiciously and the police aren't investigating, she can't sit back and do nothing. After promising her young lodger, Jessie, that she will do everything she can to help, Julia finds herself diving headfirst into the case, aided by her new Detective ...more
Published March 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Doughnuts and Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doughnuts and Deception

Start your review of Doughnuts and Deception (Peridale Cafe Mystery #3)
Noriko
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I think this series gets better and stronger each book and this is by far the best so far, as far as I'm concerned.

The writing is strong, compelling and I loved the mystery plot comes with a lot of tension in her books. As I said in my review for her previous book, I think Agatha Frost is great at generating tension and her flair is evident in this book too.

The plot which is closely intermingled with a social issue - homeless - also caught my eye. As a newbie in cozy-mystery genre, I can't say
Sabine
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
The 3rd book in the Peridale Cafe Mystery series is my favourite so far. The books are getting better and better!The last 3rd of the book kept me on the edge of my seat.
Julia is a wonderful caring character that you just have to love. We find out a lot more about Jessie's past, the homeless girl that Julia has taken in and we also get to meet Granny Dot again who brought a smirk to my face more than once - she's one character!
A highly recommended read.
*Thanks to the author for providi
Amina
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
As a series of murders targeting homeless people doesn't seem to bother the police who couldn't even make a connection, Julia, as always decides to act. With Barker and Jess as reinforcement.
The plot was strong and nicely done even if the culprit can be guessed pretty early but this didn't keep me from enjoying the rest of my read.
The end of the book was the best part as most of the details were given then and also because of the tension that rose when piecing the pieces of the puzzle together.
A
Lola
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was in a cozy mystery mood so I decided to pick up the next Peridale Cafe Mystery and it fit my mood perfectly. I quickly finished this one and had a lot of fun reading it. It's fun to follow Julia along while she tries to solve yet another murder. The plot in this one was slightly different and a bit less traditional cozy mystery plot line, but it totally worked here.

There has been a series of death's among the homeless that the police isn't paying attention to, but Julia is. She figures they
Amy
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These mysteries get better and better, Agatha does an amazing job of keeping us wondering, making us laugh and making us worry about those characters we've grown to love.

Julia and now her sidekick Jessie are back at it. Someone is killing homeless people, men in particular, whom Jessie has come to care for during her time with them. The cops aren't listening, they just say it's drugs or their lifestyle. But Jessie and Julia are questioning this. Bring in the big guns with Barker by their side, t
QNPoohBear
Thank you to the author for providing these books free during the shelter-in-place order. My review is not affected by the free book giveaway. All opinions expressed are my own.

Julia South's foster daughter Jessie can't stop thinking about the homeless friends she left behind. Julia decides to return to the burned out industrial park where Jessie once lived to share doughnuts and coffee with Jessie's friends. Jessie is disturbed when her father-figure informs her that three homeless men have
Marcella
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The last thing bakery owner Julia expected was to be caught up in yet another murder mystery. When she goes with Jessie, her young lodger, to visit the homeless sanctuary where Jessie once lived, she is told about these mysterious deaths that have been occurring in this community. There are no obvious marks or signs of how each homeless men died. The police are not looking into these as murders because the deceased are homeless it must be drug related.

After Julia speaks to some of the other home
Kelcy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This is such a cute series but I didnt appreciate how Julia handled her "plan" at the end. I hate the whole "I'm going to inconveniece somebody, not tell them what the plan is but say ill tell them later thing bc I supposedly dont have time" ..other than that, it was a good installment!
Jessie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Quick fun read! Not quite as good as the first two in the series
Tonya Polk
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Julia is back on the case, but this one is personal. A homeless community is being targeted by a killer, and Julia won't stop until she finds out the truth. We also learn a bit more about Jessie's past, and see a whole new Julia emerge from an experience that changes her and her relationship with those closest to her. This book is very special, and very emotional, and Julia's character truly shone through like a beautiful beacon of light ❤❤ this one is truly a gem!!
Mahoghani 23
Julia is just getting smarter in each book. This time, she resolved the murder of homeless men better than the cops go cruising the neighborhoods.

It’s witty, simple writing that’s fun and interesting to read. Nothing too drastic and demonic that will cause you to wonder about the mind of the author.
Jody Holford
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute

Another cute one- more of a realistic tone with a real world problem in this one. Enjoyed the development of the characters
Shannon
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Just alright

Way too soon for this relationship to be where it is. Also, too little secondary character involvement for anyone who isn't Jessie.
Kristen
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks-borrowed, 2017
The overall tone of the book was sad, as was the resolution. The mystery itself was pretty easy to solve.
Christina/ The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life!
Frost sheds light on the reality of the forgotten people (the homeless). This had a more serious tone than the rest of the series. Julia’s grandma’s “neighborhood watch” adds a small bit of humor.🍩
Amy
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
It was just ok. I didn't enjoy the mystery as much as the prior books. However, I did like the continuing development of the quasi mother-daughter relationship between Julia and Jessie. The romance with Detective Barker seems forced at times, though Julia continues to compare her feelings about him with her ex-husband. I'll give the next book a read..
Toni
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

This is the third book in the Peridale Cafe mystery series by Agatha Frost.

The first book was okay and the second book better, but with book three I can see that this series is here to stay.

Jessie, a former homeless person, asks Julia to look into a number of unusual deaths in the homeless community. And of course, Julia gets way in over her head. I was kind of surprised a cozy mystery tackled such a topic but anything goes in cozy mysteries these days. It isn’t until the fourth death
Jenny
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the third book in the series, and I've read them all and enjoyed them. Good, fairly light reading, with good stories played out by characters I could believe in and like.
The author is unfortunately in the habit of having her characters "smirk" at each other. I've always thought smirking was rather an unpleasant, smug smile, but Agatha Frost seems to use the word for any shared smile between characters, even when the scene playing out is more romantic than smug or conceited. As smirking
Leah
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This wasn't as enjoyable as the other one I read. The story involves a neighborhood watch, a misunderstanding, murder, a homeless camp, and a real estate developer. I enjoyed the mystery until the end. I wanted it to end differently. There is also some romance, but it's secondary.
Mary M
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the first two books in the series but this one I loved. The author has painted interesting mysteries and endearing characters that I have become personally attached. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in this series.
Jodi Kauble
May 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I didn’t enjoy this as much as previous books in the series.
Cynthia Grove
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was an okay read - I wouldn't want to turn anyone off reading it - but it didn't flow well to me. It felt as if put together in pieces, also the denoument was fairly guessable quite early on. The second book in the series was, I thought, better than the first but this third one was a slight disappointment. However it addresses well a serious problem of how society views and deals with its outliers being in this case the homeless; I have only admiration for how the author has handled this and ...more
Rekha
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Out of the first three Peridale cozy mysteries that I have read so far, this one is no doubt, the best! With each book, the story just gets better and better.

In this (third) installment of the Peridale cafe Cozy series, Julia's loving and caring side takes you to a whole new level. After vouching to take care of Jessie (in the first book), Julia now decides to do whatever it takes to save the homeless. She almost gets her boyfriend killed in the process!

Though there is not much of sleuthing in t
Annu
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm loving this series. The mysteries are getting better with each book. I like that there's a lot of emphasis on the mystery part and Julia's personal life is just in the background. The last chapters are really heart-racing. I did get annoyed with Julia not turning to the police in the end in the first 2 books, but I've come to understand that thats how she rolls, that she has to tie up everything in the end and I don't mind that now 😁
Carrie
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The third entry in the Peridale Cafe Mystery series has a bit of a different vibe than the first two. This one tackles issues surrounding homelessness and the loss of loved ones, especially family. Similar to the others, the plot is entertaining but the murder mystery is relatively simple to figure out. The reader gets the chance to learn more about Jessie's history and witness the relationship between Julia and Barker growing more intense. My only criticism is that I wish Barker had more of rol ...more
Lisa Cullinan
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Julia is at it again!

I loved Doughnuts and Deception just as much as the two prior in this fantastic series!
Our favorite baker, Julia, finds herself trying to solve a series of murders taking place at a burned out industrial building, where a congregation of homeless people have taken up residence. Again, Agatha Frost takes us on crazy ride of another whodunit with plenty of twists and turns and a one-of-a-kind cast. Fantastic addition to the Peridale Cafe Mystery Series. On to the next! Five-
Nikki Brown
This is the 3rd book in the Peridale series, about Julia, Barker and Jessie abd Julua's coffee shoo.

This book is set around the suspicious deaths of Jessies homeless friends, the ones she stayed with before Julia offered her a home.

Barker becomes involved, but things take a turn for the worse.

These books are idea if you want a book which can be read in an evening (albeit a long one! ) or in a couple of sessions. They can be read out of order but to keep the continuity is best to read in the ser
Cheryl
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Donuts, deception, and murder

Julia does it again! Murders involving a group of homeless people and the involvement of local police, lead Julia on a hairy investigation of her own. Characters are introduced by the author so that the reader gets to know them in a way to fully understand them and see what they are seeing. Great introduction to the homeless and their lives to understand what life is really all about. Beautiful story. Must read even if you don't read the rest of this series.
Lisa
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Julia is back at it again. In Doughnuts and Deception Julia is trying to find yet another murderer, when homeless people start showing up dead. These books just keep getting better and better. If you have not read this series you should. I highly recommend each of these books because they are amazing.
Picksy
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cozy addicts and young teens
Shelves: fiction, cosy, crime, 2018
I love this series. OK so I hope the real police don not the same sort of behaviour as Barker but I think the characters are good, including the incidental characters and this story has a good social awareness built in.
A really quick read with a little humour and romance thrown in and the reminder that family (however constructed) is a good place to be, even with all it's ups and downs.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Down the Rabbit Hole (Ashbrook Bookshop Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Posies and Poison (Sweetfern Harbor #1)
  • Gossip in the Garden (The Inn at Holiday Bay #10)
  • Mid-Century Modern Murder (Flamingo Realty Mystery #5)
  • Sprinkles and Skeletons (Pelican Cove #4)
  • Cupcakes and Celebrities (Pelican Cove #2)
  • Murder by the Slice (Sky High Pies Mysteries #1)
  • Raspberry Chocolate Murder (Dolphin Bay #1)
  • Strawberries and Strangers (Pelican Cove #1)
  • Parfaits and Paramours (Pelican Cove, #7)
  • Ghost in the Gallery (The Inn at Holiday Bay, #11)
  • Mistletoe, Moonlight, & Murder (Ravenwood Cove Mystery #3)
  • Berries and Birthdays (Pelican Cove #3)
  • Slash in the Pan (Baker Street Cozy Mysteries #5)
  • Dune, Dock, and a Dead Man (Ravenwood Cove Mystery #2)
  • Drizzle of Death (Baker Street Cozy Mysteries #4)
  • A Zest for Murder (Sky High Pies Mysteries #5)
  • Muffins and Mobsters (Pelican Cove #6)
Agatha Frost is a lover of all things cozy. She is a crime fiction fanatic and enjoys nothing more than sinking her teeth into a good murder, with a cup of tea and a cat curled up on her knee.

She lives in a quaint village in a sleepy corner of England, which provides more than ample inspiration for her Peridale Cafe Mystery series.

Sign up to the newsletter at www.agathafrost.com

Peridale Cafe (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Pancakes and Corpses (Peridale Cafe Mystery #1)
  • Lemonade and Lies (Peridale Cafe #2)
  • Chocolate Cake and Chaos (Peridale Cafe Mystery #4)
  • Shortbread and Sorrow (Peridale Cafe Mystery #5)
  • Espresso and Evil (Peridale Cafe Mystery #6)
  • Macarons and Mayhem (Peridale Cafe Mystery #7)
  • Fruit Cake and Fear (Peridale Cafe Mystery #8)
  • Birthday Cake and Bodies (Peridale Cafe Mystery #9)
  • Gingerbread and Ghosts (Peridale Cafe Mystery #10)
  • Cupcakes and Casualties (Peridale Cafe Mystery #11)