Start by marking “Finding Kate” as Want to Read:
Finding Kate

Finding Kate

Kathryn's strong will and sharp tongue have branded her a shrew in her small town. Now, not even the generous dowry offered by her wealthy father can tempt any man to court her. But when Sir William rides into town on his magnificent war horse, Kathryn's world turns upside down.

William is like a burr in Kathryn's side from the very beginning. Even the way he insists on ca
Paperback
Published March 5th 2017 by City Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about Finding Kate, please sign up.
Maryanne There are two release dates: April 11 for paperback and April 25 for ebook. So it depends on which format you want to read. I can't wait to hear what…moreThere are two release dates: April 11 for paperback and April 25 for ebook. So it depends on which format you want to read. I can't wait to hear what you think!(less)

Tara
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
What a treat it was to read Maryanne Fantalis's debut novel! Kate is a spunky, unforgettable heroine, her various antagonists quite humorously drawn, and Will an enigmatic match for her. My favorite aspect of the book, though, was it's magnificent historical detail, clearly carefully researched and lovingly rendered. As a reader, I felt totally immersed in the time period and locales of the story.

More from this author, please!
Ira
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
It wasn't easy to rate this book. On the one hand I didn't put it down, I just kept reading ....and reading....and reading... On the other hand I was really upset with William because I felt that Kate had already suffered enough with her stupid family and especially with her stepb...east of a sister. Oh, and don't forget all those charming people in her village.

Alright, I knew the story, I mean, who doesn't, right? I knew that (I was always furious, when I read Shakespeare's version) Will has to
Carol***BeautyandtheBeastlyBooks
****ARC received in exchange of an honest opinion***

Finding Kate is divided in three parts and, athough I thought the first one was kind of slow building, I still enjoyed it. The heroine had spunk and was sassy and cool.

Enters the second part. That part made NO sense. It's so not like the story told until that part that I almost stopped reading the book. It was very confusing. The heroine that was super sassy bcame a doormat and the hero got weird and creepy.

The third part led to an ending that
Viktoriya
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, nook
Disclaimer: I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The first part of the book was awesome: I loved Kathryn's spunk, her sharp responses and her "Devil-may-care" attitude. I couldn't get enough of her and was bored to tears every time her half-sister, Blanche, would come into the picture. Even when Sir William entered the story, as annoying and presumptuous as he was, I still liked it because Kathryn's responses became even sharper and the banter between her and Sir
Ezza Syuhada
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read some reviews on Goodreads saying that Kate changed to keep Sir William happy, I was dead set to hate this book with a vengeance! Because in my mind a woman shouldn't change anything about herself due to the whims of a man, the feminist in me was practically screaming in protest but the more I read the book the more I saw that this wasn't the case and I was gobsmacked!

Let me go back and explain from the start. The book is divided into three parts. The first part is before Kate
Dee/ bookworm
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Finding Kate was a great novel. I really, really didn't think half way through that I would like it, I almost didn't finish it, in my mind I wrote it off as though the author couldn't fix it, boy was I wrong. I'm glad I finished it, it was an amazing book about partnership and knowing someone better than they know themselves and sacrificing something in yourself to help someone else find themselves. Beautifully written!!

I received a free copy of this novel from NetGalley in exchange for a fair r
Katharine
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a retelling of Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew set in England during the period of the War of the Roses. If you are not familiar with TOTS: two sisters of marriageable age (Katherina and Bianca) live with their father. Bianca is beautiful and sweet and Katherina is a shrew. Bianca cannot marry until Katherina does. Gents show up in town, wooing and hijinks take place, and Katherina is eventually “tamed” by Petruchio. In this story, Kathryn is wooed by the gorgeous William (and he ...more
Jessie Gussman
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, I've never read Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. So, I can't say how closely this follows it.

For me to love a romance, I want great writing and believable, building attraction.

I have to say the writing in this book is superb. Sometimes I stopped reading just to smile and savor a particularly great phrase or sentence. You can't always find this level of writing in romance.

The attraction between the h/h was well-done too. Insta attractions are not believable to me, and whil
John Clark
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Satisfying and eye-opening take on the Taming of the Shrew. Kathryn is too intelligent for her time and her own good. Following her inner dialogue as she looks at life around her and how she finds it almost impossible (at first, anyhow) to break out of a young lifetime of habits in order to find a paradoxical new freedom, makes for a dandy read. You don't need to know Shakespeare to savor this book. It's worth a look by school and public libraries caring about interesting tales for intelligent t ...more
Danielle
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I gotta say, I wasn't sure what to expect when I heard this was a retelling of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew. (My biggest experience with the story is actually a ballet I loved to watch when I was a child by Bejart's company.) At any rate, Fantalis' take on the story was fun. I enjoyed reading things from Katherine's POV and knowing why she had become bitter. The period elements are well done and the writing is beautiful. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon read.
Kelly Tyree
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finding Kate is a book about a young lady named Kathryn. She hides in the shadow of her "perfect" sister, Blanche. In her community, she is called the Shrew and is hard to get a long with. This has made it difficult for her to find a husband. Kathryn is the oldest sister so her younger sister, Blanche, cannot marry until Kate does. Kate is bored with the lessons and routine of her day. She is also not treated well in her home. Her father and her stepmother show favoritism to Blanche.

When severa
Brodie Curtis
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finding Kate is a new perspective on Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew, not set in contemporary times, but set instead well before the Bard’s period, during the War of the Roses. The choice is to our benefit, as Ms. Fantalis’s period detail shines. We drop into everyday village life to smell the smoke from the kitchen and stale beer at the tavern, feel the aches and pains of travel, and see the smugly superior grin on the priest’s face. Dialogue immerses us in court happenings and the strugg ...more
Kim Imas
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With her crisp storytelling, impressive command of historical detail, and elegant prose, Maryanne Fantalis pulls off a difficult feat: She transplants Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew to Medieval England, then allows the "shrew" herself to tell us her story—a fascinating take on a play that’s especially tricky (and important!) to revisit in the age of #MeToo.

FINDING KATE is both binge-readable and yet challenging, making it a terrific choice for book clubs. It raises lots of meaty, topical que
Cayla
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I have very little understanding with Shakespeare, so I was hoping that I wasn't going to feel lost in this book. I'm glad to report that I caught on well. Maryanne Fantalis made it easy to understand the idea of the plot and its progression.

The first book (act?) was good. The second book felt dry and boring and I wanted to chuck it. The third book picked up better, but it just wasn't the same as the first book. I felt like the ball had been dropped into a big dark hole and lost to the world. *
Shruti Subramaniam
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
*This is an honest review based on an ARC received from NetGalley.*

Finding Kate is a story based on William Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. For those who are unaware, the book is one of Shakespeare's comedies, which, besides being funny, are also meant to be satirical. It is NOT a book that promotes abusing women into obedience. Rather, it is a critique of society.

Finding Kate is a quick, fast-paced read and blends popular Shakespearean scenes with a new spin on the story. I always enjoy
Jana
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Finding Kate is based on Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. Although I haven't read The Taming of the Shrew, I requested Finding Kate so I'd have a good picture of the classic story. It was both entertaining and painful to watch the unfolding of Kathryn becoming Kate. I felt so sorry for her most of the time, even though I didn't like her personality very much in the beginning; she was a miserable thing, but I loved how she changed near the end. Will and Kate are perfect for each other! Than ...more
Nicole
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book from net galley for an honest review. Thank you!!

This novel was a bit different from books I normally read. I have never read Taming of the Shrew, but this novel was a good read.
Kathryn is called a shrew by the people in her village. She always has a reply to something that is said and it is as if she is always "defending" herself. She is very clever, but feels her father cares more about her sister Blanche, than her. Her father will have Kathryn married first before Blanch
Jaime
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable retelling of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. I loved Kate's spunk and snarkiness, which I guess was considered shrewish back in those times. I felt bad that she had so much to deal with on the family end of things, the comparison to her younger, spoiled sister then having to deal with Will's ways.

It starts off really well, then slows down and gets a bit off track but otherwise it was enjoyable. I love that, unlike the original, it is told from the female's point of view, so
Nimira
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting

The novel carries you back in time and puts you in the middle of a medieval village where you experience the life of the characters that are so well described that you feel you know them personally.
Kristin Davison
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I would like to thank netgalley and City Owl Press for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I love taming of the shrew and this novel perfectly puts down how I see the play, it's not necessarily sexiest and actually looks at a women who is deeply unhappy in her life. The sexism lays in how Kate is treated by those in her village, not by sir William. You have to look at this play with the ideals of the time it wad written in and not our modern ideals.
Gin Tadvick
May 12, 2017
Maureen A. Reed
Jun 21, 2017
Ariel Dowski
May 04, 2017
Kathleen Crowell
Not an official Hogarth, but should've been! (Taming of the Shrew) Very well-written and a great read! Much better than the Anne Tyler version, in my humble opinion! Loved the cover as well! Thank you NetGalley for the free read!!!!
E
May 05, 2017
Brenda
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Publisher's Description:
Kathryn’s strong will and sharp tongue have branded her a shrew in her small town. Now, not even the generous dowry offered by her wealthy father can tempt any man to court her. But when Sir William rides into town on his magnificent war horse, Kathryn’s world turns upside down.

William is like a burr in Kathryn’s side from the very beginning. Even the way he insists on calling her “Kate” irritates her thoroughly, yet she can’t keep from listening for his voice. Though he
Mollie
Jun 12, 2017
Lorea Anderson
May 12, 2017

• Dangerous To Love
  • Wild Mama: One Woman's Quest to Live Her Best Life, Escape Traditional Parenthood, and Travel the World
  • Human Tales
  • Serendipity Market
  • Primrose and the Dreadful Duke (Garland Cousins, #1)
  • Greylands
  • Faery!
  • Moonwise
  • Dark Reflections (Dark Reflections, #1-3)
  • The Promise (Rebel Promise, #1)
  • Upside Down: Inverted Tropes in Storytelling
  • Hannah's Garden
  • His Majesty, the Prince of Toads
  • Returning My Sister's Face and Other Far Eastern Tales of Whimsy and Malice
  • The Once and Future Duchess (Royal Entourage, #4)
  • As the Devil Dares (Capturing the Carlisles, #3)
  • The Lie and the Lady (Winner Takes All, #2)
  • Love & Friendship: In Which Jane Austen's Lady Susan Vernon Is Entirely Vindicated
MARYANNE FANTALIS lives in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains with her husband and two kids, and it’s the only place outside of England she’d ever want to live. Her fiction combines her two favorite subjects – medieval England and Shakespeare’s plays – and she’ll talk your ear off about either of them if given the opportunity. In addition to writing novels, Maryanne teaches writing at the Univer ...more