Start by marking “Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty, Vol. 1 (Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty, Vol. 1 (Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty, #1)

Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty, Vol. 1

(Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty #1)

This funny and heartrending romantic manga set in modern Tokyo is not the fairy tale you remember! This time, Prince Charming is a teenage janitor, and Sleeping Beauty's curse is a supernatural, gender-bending dream that threatens to pull them both into a deeper and deeper slumber...

THE AWAKENING

High schooler Tetsu Misato is hardworking, frugal, and easily scar
Published December 5th 2017 by Kodansha Comics (first published April 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty, Vol. 1

Start your review of Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty, Vol. 1 (Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty, #1)
Victoria ♡
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art is so damn pretty! Don’t be deceived by the beautiful front cover, it’s actually a pretty dark story, Right up my alley, romance with a horror aspect. I love it!
dreamyheart
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-sure
So I know that you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but I do that a lot actually.
The art on the cover was just too pretty to resist . Plus, the title sounds so cute!
But actually, this book is a lot more intense than you’d think. Shizu is a bit confusing to understand at first, she is certainly one complicated individual, and honestly, it was exhausting. I don’t think I’ll continue with this manga, personally I prefer a more lighthearted, carefree, saccharine-sweet kind of
Mary
I think the execution wasn't the best even though events had to be kept secret for the reveal. I'm not on board with this series. I feel terrible for the main characters but nothing really gripped me. If you like horror romance, this is definitely something you should consider.
Jolien
Interesting start of the story! I definitely want to continue reading ☺ ...more
Kristin El
Jan 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, manga
Didn't really understand the plot. Psychological horror romance maybe?? I finished it only because I paid for it.
Bryn (Plus Others)
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shoujo-manga
We loved this! Yes, okay, it had 'multiple personalities is a terrible illness' floating around in it, but frankly, that is what a lot of people believe, and it was clear that it was not the Authorial Voice but rather the character voices expressing this. And it is just so fun to read a manga about (view spoiler) ...more
Lynn
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Today's post is on Wake up Sleeping Beauty: volume 1 by Megumi Morino. It is 192 pages long and is published by Kodansha. The cover has to the two main characters on it with Tetsu looking at the reader and Shizu sleeping on his shoulder. The intended reader is someone who likes shojo manga, romance, and a little spiritual subplot. There is no foul language, no sex, and no voilence in this manga. The story is told from third person close of Tetsu.

From the back of the book- The Awakeni
Jaymes Dunlap
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loaned-to-me
If you enjoy well-written, romantic and psychological works with horror undertones, you will like this book. Looking at title and cover, I almost passed it up because I generally find romance works a bit dull, but I was bored at the time and it was the only short fiction I could read in chunks quickly. Was unable to stop until I finished it. It's not the most original, but the story flows nicely and holds attention.

Cover promises a romance that possibly is quite cute in execution, bu
Maria Waltner
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The art is clear and uncluttered.

The storyline was a little slow to start and things were definitely shown and not told. Tetsu needs to earn money - lots of it - to care for his sick mother. He takes a job at a ginormous mansion where he helps several other people with the cleaning and upkeep. He hears a story that the daughter of the house is kept isolated in a smaller house in the back of the property. Tetsu gets curious and goes out that way and eventually meets her. She seems normal enough
Gaby
Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019, manga
Jojo Frost
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-gn
Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty volume one is a very cute shoujo manga that gets kind of dark toward the end. I really enjoying the characters and their relationship, and how that relationship can go a different way once the main character knows the truth. Tetsu Misato is very adorable and likeable character. His interaction with his family and friends are fun, and I hope there will be more scenes of his father, and his two younger sisters. The art style is beautiful, and the the expressions on the cha ...more
Christyn
3.5/5 stars

Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty wasn't what I was expecting. I admit I was taken in by the pretty cover, but it really isn't what you'd expect, especially if you're expecting a light shoujo manga. I do like the characters, but feel like I need to read more of the series to really decide if I like it or not. I thought the concept was interesting (view spoiler) ...more
Skye (Skye's Scribblings)
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I brought this home from the library and read it without even glancing at the summary, and don't let the romantic title and summary fool you: this is first and foremost an original and rather chilling GHOST STORY. With its mysterious premise and realistic main male character, the start of the eerie story of shut-in Shizu and scaredy-cat Tetsu was an engrossing one that found me reluctant to put it down and finishing well past bedtime. I can't wait to get my hands on the next volume and see how t ...more
queen0f_hearts
The story was cute at the beginning with that love story between Tetsu and Shizu... but soon it gets more mysterious when Shizu starts to behave oddly. Honestly, I like the mysterious part in this story the most but not because of the girl. It's interesting to see Tetsu dealing with it and finding out more about it. Also his family situation and the illness of his mother make my liking for him grow. In short, to my mind Tetsu is the character in this manga who gives "life" to it and because of h ...more
Stacy
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This was recommended to me, and it was cute. It has elements of promising to be a deeper story, while also staying light and, while it is not the right word: "shallow"? The characters have a level of realism in how they deal with their situations that you don't often find in shojo-manga. I respected the more mature elements and how they were handled, though it's still early days for me and this series. I'm glad I read it. I'm not sure if it will earn a place in my favourites but it does stand ab ...more
Mary
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This could be a very interesting series (or it could go horribly wrong - but I'm willing to give it a try). While working as a janitor, Tetsu befriends Shizu the daughter of the house who's been locked away due to "illness." Turns out Shizu's illness is different personalities, but this isn't Dissociative Identity Disorder, Shizu is possessed by spirits!
Lynn
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
A young man who cleans houses discovers a wealthy young girl who spends most of her time asleep in the house he’s cleaning for the mistress of the house. She is thought to have multiple personality disorder but he soon discovers she is haunted by ghosts who take over her body. The first volume wasn’t interesting to me but the story might get better. Intriguing story.
Khói Thịt
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please read it !!! I cant even sure how to fully describe how much this incredible emotional story line and twists is , it broke me into tears so many time in the best way posible . So many life values and manner lessons that I havent been able to find in other manga . I highly recommend this for everyone ❤☺
Angela~supermom~
3.5

The premise and concept was really facinating and different, but the execution was slow and a tad exhausting. Slow and somewhat confusing start. As the reader I felt out of the loop a lot and had to take moments to comprehend what is trying to be relayed to me. Otherwise not half bad and i'm interested to see where this "friendship" goes.
Paige Woodard
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The plot at the beginning is a bit confusing because it moves very fast with the main Male admitting his feelings to the main female. It gets better a few chapters in, and the synopsis begins to take effect in a very interesting way.
Melissa
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, manga
I was expecting a cute shoujo romance with maybe a sad twist or something near the end due to the cute cover. I wasn't expecting this. That summary doesn't do it justice.

I'm still not sure how I feel, lol. But the art was great, and there were some pretty funny moments at times.
Just Hind
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
I'm not continuing this. It was not what I expected and darker than what it looks- which can be sometimes bad, because it simply doesn't suit the storyline. I need to read something that is 5 stars before the year ends...
Caitlin
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A ghost-fearing boy falls in love with a ghost. (It's complicated.) The ghost is possessing a girl who shares her body with multiple spirits, and he decides to work as her caretaker to somehow fix things.
Alisha Tarran
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The bright colour pages draw you in, the art is well drawn too! Particularly the buildings and backgrounds. The characters are beautiful too!

Tetsu is kind of relatable, at least for me, in a couple of different ways and you have to admire his work ethic and determination. He's all about the money which makes him seem kind of superficial until you realise there's a deeper meaning behind it and a purpose to it! I ended up quite admiring him by the end of the volume, and I want to know more about
Veronica
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Really cute manga about a young man trying to prove he can handle a part-time job and his employer's daughter, who turns out to be possessed by the ghost of (among others) a very friendly 13-year-old boy. Hard to know where the story is headed after just one volume but so far it's very sweet.
Natalie Martinez
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I can't find it in me to read the rest of the series. I just don't care for the characters
Najat
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the art style

Quite the interesting story plot. Makes you want to route for the characters.

Quite an easy read.
L. N. Luck
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A new series for me, and this is going to be such an interesting dynamic!! If you are looking for a really cutesy shoujo manga, this really won't be what you expected!

Yara
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok

• Love in Focus Vol. 1 (Love in Focus, #1)
  • Gozen 0-ji, Kiss shi ni Kite yo #1
  • Gozen 0-ji, Kiss shi ni Kite yo #3
  • Gozen 0-ji, Kiss shi ni Kite yo #4
  • Gozen 0-ji, Kiss shi ni Kite yo #2
  • 春待つ僕ら 1 [Haru Matsu Bokura 1] (Waiting for Spring, #1)
  • BLACK TORCH 1 (BLACK TORCH, #1)
  • ショートケーキケーキ 1 (Shortcake Cake, #1)
  • 水神の生贄 3 [Suijin no Hanayome 3] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #3)
  • 水神の生贄 4 [Suijin no Hanayome 4] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #4)
  • パーフェクトワールド 2 (Perfect World, #2)
  • 春待つ僕ら 3 [Haru Matsu Bokura 3] (Waiting for Spring, #3)
  • Love in Focus Vol. 2 (Love in Focus, #2)
  • ハツ*ハル 1 【期間限定 無料お試し版】 (Hatsu*Haru, #1)
  • 水神の生贄 2 [Suijin no Hanayome 2] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #2)
  • 水神の生贄 5 [Suijin no Hanayome 5] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #5)
  • 水神の生贄 6 [Suijin no Hanayome 6] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #6)
  • パーフェクトワールド 3 (Perfect World, #3)
森野萌

Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty (6 books)
  • Guten Morgen, Dornröschen! 02