Start by marking “Read! Read! Read!” as Want to Read:
Read! Read! Read!

Read! Read! Read!

Twenty-three poems capture the joys of reading from that thrilling moment when a child first learns to decipher words to the excitement that follows in reading everything from road signs to field guides to internet articles to stories.
Published September 19th 2017 by Wordsong (first published January 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Read! Read! Read!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Read! Read! Read!

Start your review of Read! Read! Read!
Ms. B
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture, poetry
Poems about reading, this will be great for April (National Poetry Month) or any time of the year.
Gaby
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful! I loved every single poem and cannot wait to share with my students as they discover the beautiful world of reading.
JoEllen
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this picture book as a treat for readers and writers of all ages. Wonderful collection of poems to share and spread book love. Perfect poetry for launch units as they explore all kinds of reading opportunities. Wonderful collection to celebrate the joy of reading all year long!
Margie
We read. We read for reasons varying from day to day from the time we first read until the last time we read. We read to know and to grow. We read to find ourselves and to find others. We read for the laughter, the joy, and the hope. We read.

Whether you are a new reader or a reader having spent decades immersed in the written word, to celebrate this skill and the freedom to choose what we read is an honor. Read! Read! Read! (WordSong, an imprint of Highlights, September 19, 2017) wri
Frankie 1K B4 K
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love to read and enjoy short poems, this book will warm your heart and remind you why books are just like magic!
Linda
This is the perfect time for Amy Ludwig VanDerwater’s new book: Read! Read! Read!, charmingly illustrated by Ryan O'Rourke. From young to old, readers will connect to the poems as life links to their past, or links to the joy of reading that will be coming to them.
How letters gather into words, then stories, begins this book's excitement that is reading, where O'Rourke's swirl of letters shows they "sing/into your soul/like soothing/summer rain." Amy lets readers travel on to the heart of read
Paula
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting, waiting, waiting for this book and I can’t tell you how much I love, love, love it!

Amy has penned a collection of poems to celebrate, inspire, and capture the joys and wonders of reading. I wanted to dive in and devour them all, and now I want to share them with students and give them time to savor each and every one. Invite them to reflect on their own reading lives through the words of each poem. I definitely think this is a MUST HAVE for every elementary clas
Laura Mossa
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully illustrated collection of poetry celebrates reading. As I read each poem, I was nostalgically reminded me of my own reading journey from learning how to read, anxiously waiting for my Cricket magazine to appear in my mailbox, being emotionally affected by characters in books as well as being transported to different times and places. I can't wait to share these poems with students and teachers at my school.

A sincere thank you to the author, Amy Ludwig Vanderwater for providing
Angie Hull
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Amy Ludwig Vanderwater for sending an advanced copy of your book. This book of poems needs to be in every language arts classroom. Students enjoy all the poems and the pictures and they are easy to analyze. The amount of discussion that came from these is amazing and I immediately purchased the book for myself!
Stacey M
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-trek
I loved this book. It is a cute poetry book for kids. Each poem is about reading and includes different types of reading kids can relate to. From reading a ceral box, to street signs, to Sunday comics. The illistrations are well done. This is a great book for elementary classrooms or as gifts for younger readers. I read this as apart of #booktrek.
Sandy Brehl
This has been in my TBR pile for more than a month, and now I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner.
The collection of poems represents a range of structures, topics, rhyme and unrhymed verse, reflective and immediate. Within its pages there are poems about Googling guinea pigs, dealing with grief in satires to be prepared for real-life grieving, stoking imagination, exploring the past and the future, among many other recognizable moments in life.
This is must have for every library and cla
Lisa
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read and reread each poem over and over again. I have enthusiastically shared this with my students. Looking on your website for more and more poems.
Amber Webb
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read, Read, Read by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater makes everyone a reader. If read cereal boxes, sports pages, history, signs, maps, comics, stories, or books, it makes no difference, we are all readers. This book is incredibly empowering and prolific. This is a book that every library should have in droves. It is beautiful in word and image and I hope to share it with each of my students.
Jaime
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“The cover opens. You are born.”

“Every single thing you read becomes a part of you.”

Beautiful poems about being a reader. I loved ‘Reading Time’, ‘I Explore’, and ‘Double Life’.
Michele Knott
A perfect compilation of poems that share the magic of reading.
Patricia Murphy
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must to add to your poetry basket. Readers will rejoice and relate to Amy Ludwig VanDerwater's poems. The joy of reading is captured in poetry. Amy's words sing, Amy's poems create beautiful visuals, and kids will be able to easily create conversations and connections. I couldn't pick a favorite poem there were so many, but I will be able to give as a gift many of her poems.
Baby Bookworm
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Today’s book is Read! Read! Read!, poems written by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater and illustrated Ryan O’Rourke, a joyful and moving ode to books and reading for little ones.

Comprised of twenty-three poems written in different styles and forms, the reader is pulled into a celebration of reading, especially the impact that reading can have on a child. Books, magazines, newspapers, road signs, even the backs of cereal boxes; no
Laura Salas
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A couple of weeks ago, I made a Facebook faux pas in replying to a comment on my phone that I thought was to me, but wasn’t. The happy upshot of a long, boring story is that Amy Ludwig VanDerwater sent me one of her copies of her new poetry collection, Read! Read! Read! (illustrated by Ryan O’Rourke, WordSong 2017).

Wow. Y’all know I love me a poem about reading and books:>) This collection is like a huge reading party! There are funny poems and heart-wrenching poems. (I teared up several tim
Tara Smith
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully collection of poetry;each poem captures a slice of reading magic – the worlds books allow you into, the comfort they provide, the experience of being in a room full of other readers who are all lost in the books they are reading. Vibrant illustrations by Ryan O'Rourke add so much to the reading experience. This book will be sure to become a classroom favorite!
Mary Lee
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every reader and every teacher of readers will want this book and love it to shreds!

Check out my review at A Year of Reading: http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2017/...
Franki Sibberson
Love thinking about how many conversations this book will start in the classroom!
Lorraine
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are certain poetry books that I return to over and over again in my classroom. Books with poems that reflect my students’ experiences show up as read-alouds every year. The books then find worthy places on our classroom bookshelves where they are adored by dozens of third graders. Read! Read! Read! by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater may become an instant classic, too.

This book is a celebration of what it means to be a reader. Much of the book explores the magic of the written word and h
molliekay
This poetry collection was meant for someone like me. There are so many ways to read, and we don't always tell children that it doesn't matter what you read, just READ.
Morgan Otis
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read! Read! Read! contains twenty-three poems all about reading. The poems, accompanied by vibrant illustrations, cover everything from the imaginative, lifelong value reading has to reading road maps and looking up information on the internet.
This is a wonderful poetry book for all readers. The first thing that stood out to me about this book were the illustrations. The colors are captivating and I really like the style. The impact that this book has is that it is very relatable and could reso
Bernadette Kearns
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved Amy Ludwig Vanderwater's poetry since I discovered her Poem Farm blog many years ago. I'm glad to see that her poetry has been launched into the wider world via three amazing picture books that have been released in the past 3 years. This book of her poems about reading is charming and it would be an excellent book to spark conversations in classrooms about the types of reading students are doing. The illustrations are fun and compliment the joy of the poems. Highly recommend ...more
Donna Merritt
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book celebrates the many ways we read, from cereal boxes and sports pages to maps and road signs and field guides to magazines and birthday cards. The poems and illustrations are delightful! It's a motivating read-aloud for younger children, and those who are already big readers will smile in recognition of the joy in getting lost in words. Can't wait to use this in my school library!

From the poem "Forever" by Amy Ludwig Vanderwater:
You've read the words. / You've seen the
Jana
Learning how to read can be so empowering for young children. This beautiful book of poetry celebrates the freedom that comes with finally being able to access stories, road signs, cereal boxed, and comics pages independently. The colorful, inviting illustrations and poignant, heart-warming poems can definitely be used to inspire a love of reading with children, and should definitely be a part of every library!
Brenda
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This delightful collection of poetry about all types of reading from the sports page to the comics to the internet will delight readers and teachers. The soft accompanying illustrations by Ryan O'Rourke add to the magical quality of the verses. I highly recommend this collection for both school & public libraries.
Lorie Barber
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this anthology on my favorite pastime. Great mentor text for my 5th graders as they create their anthologies!
Rebecca Gomez
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book of poems about reading, perfect to read all at once or one at a time.

• Come with Me
  • The Day You Begin
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • Hello Lighthouse
  • I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet!
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • Drawn Together
  • A Perfect Day
  • Life
  • All Are Welcome
  • Niko Draws a Feeling
Amy Ludwig VanDerwater is author of children’s books including FOREST HAS A SONG (Clarion), EVERY DAY BIRDS (Scholastic), and READ! READ! READ! (WordSong). She is also author of POEMS ARE TEACHERS (Heinemann) and co-author of POETRY: BIG THOUGHTS IN SMALL PACKAGES (Heinemann). A former fifth grade teacher, Amy received her MA from Teachers College, has taught writing for nineteen years, and blogs ...more