Start by marking “Stillwater Shores (Stillwater Bay #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Stillwater Shores (Stillwater Bay #0.5)

Stillwater Shores

(Stillwater Bay .5)

Before the first shots are fired within the walls of Stillwater Elementary School, life went on as normal for five women who were close friends. Their monthly girls' night was coming up and they couldn't wait to get together. They all needed this night to run away and be carefree-from their husbands, their children, their church-with no expectations, no responsibilities, ...more
Published February 25th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published October 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Stillwater Shores, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stillwater Shores

Start your review of Stillwater Shores (Stillwater Bay #0.5)
Tony Parsons
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
3 yrs. ago at Stillwater Elementary School there had been a horrific shooting.
6/21, Stillwater Bay. 12 families were there today to reconnect with each other & remember their lost loved ones.
Julia Berry’s (Charlotte’s BFF) son Gabriel Berry had walked into the public school & gunned down 10 students & 2 teachers.
Reverend Mark Giffin lead the service.
Julie was the owner of The Treasure Chest. Gina was employed there.

Why did Wilfred Sawyer call Jennifer “Jenn” Crowne (wife/mother)?
Denise
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steena Holmes, thank you for this short story. The characters are well developed, the plot engaging and the descriptions vivid. I really loved the setting as it sounds like a great summer place. I will definitely be reading this series!
Martha
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Stillwater Bay series. I was offered an ARC by the author for an honest opinion of this novella.
Set in a small close knit town, you get to know many of the individuals in this story, their personalities, families and friends before a tragedy happens and turns their lives upside down. I truly enjoyed the characters who were easy to get to know and the small town atmosphere sounds like an idyllic place to live.
The next book in the series is Stillwater Rising which you
Debra
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! The way the book is written, it will touch your heart, invoke different emotions and heals with love. The theme of Before the Storm is tragic, but has truly happened way to often. Ms. Holmes writes with insight and sensitive about the victim's family and the Mother of the shooter. Best friends friendships are tested, a small town is devastated and marriages are unraveling. I would highly recommend this book to everyone! Ms. Holmes is a gifted writer that draws you into her books and you ...more
Tonya
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Fans of Jodi Picoult and Elin Hilderbrand will fall in love with this new series that sets the stage for her upcoming novel, Stillwater Rising, from NY Times bestselling author Steena Holmes.

Before the first shots are fired within the walls of Stillwater Elementary School, life went on as normal for five women who were close friends. Their monthly girls' night was coming up and they couldn't wait to get together. They all needed this night to run away and be carefree - from their husbands,
Annie McDonnell
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steena Holmes does it again, flawlessly telling a very difficult story with ease, heart and dignity to all characters involved. This had to be a difficult story to decide to tell, as it is a heart-wrenching story of a school shooting that took place at the local Elementary School in Stillwater Bay, Washington, USA.
The shooter was a 16 year old boy named Gabriel Berry. When we hear of these stories in the headlines, we often forget that the Mother of the shooter is mourning the loss of her child
Cathy
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished the book yesterday but I am reading it again. I will write my review when I have finished re reading. :)

Before the Storm by Steena Holmes: coming out on October 7th 2014
I was happy to be allowed to read an ARC of this novella. It is a prequel to her Stillwater Rising book which will be released on November 11th 2014. I was also able to read that one early and loved it.
Note, its good to pay attention to the Chapter titles, they have information that helps. I have a tendency to dive
Patti
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
I liked it but don't bother if you aren't going to read the rest of the series because this book leaves you hanging. The book was divided by Chapters that each focused on a character and how their lives intertwined with the other characters' lives. I was looking for an easy read and it didn't fail me there although the subject was a bit difficult.
Kayleigh
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short introduction to the lives of the women whose world's are about to be forever different. I enjoyed learning where things stood before I dive into Stillwater Rising.
Misty Vauble
closer to a 4.5 loved this looking forward to the rest of the series which I'll definitely read
Stacy
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I read this before I read Stillwater Rising. It was a good introduction to the characters and town.
Elisabeth P. Comet Readings
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stillwater Shores is a very poignant novel, which represents the first chapter in the touching Stillwater Bay Series.

As a prequel to Stillwater Rising, this book introduces the reader to the quiet town of Stillwater Bay and its residents. Immediately you can understand how the characters really enjoy being part of this town which is intended more like a big family, with all its little daily habits and supportive gestures.

Here five close friends, each one with a different personality, ambition,
Jool
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this series on the healing of a group of different women in a small town in which a school shooter killed 13 people in an elementary school. This focuses on the aftermath. I am on book 3 and enjoying the entire series.
Elizabeth Ray
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novella certainly made me interested to read the rest of this series!
Gail
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book for my Kindle for free for signing up for the author's newsletter. It is a prequel novella to her Stillwater series. It definitely made me want to read the series!
Kathleen Freeman
A quick read, it was good to reacquaint myself with the characters in this series before reading the next book.
Cindy
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
Excellent! Looking forward to the rest of the series!!
Stephanie Pettus
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great continuation of the story! I’ll finish out the series.
Deborah Blanchard
I loved this book. I absolutely can't wait for the next book " Stillwater Rising". We all know that , unfortunately, school shootings happen a lot in our country. This series deals with this issue and the aftermath that follows. Exquisitely written book by Steena. The characters are developed in a chapter to chapter method, so you get to know them intimately. This is a work of fiction, however, I found it to be a book that could definitely be based on fact. This is a book everyone needs to read. ...more
Paula  Phillips
If you are a fan of Jodi Picoult's book "Nineteen Minutes" or Jennifer Brown's "The Hate List" , then Steena Holmes "Stillwater Bay" series is definitely the reads for you. Before the Storm is the prequel which leads up to the tragic events which occur in the main story "Stillwater Rising". Before the day , that would ruin the lives of five women and the community that surrounds them - these five women were inseperable , they would talk to each other on the phone and have monthly meetings where ...more
Linda
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this by the author for an honest review.

This story is a very touchy and touching one. About a town where everyone knows everyone. They all work together to make the town strong and each family has it's own problems but they are there for each other through most everything. Until their town is torn apart by a school shooting.

You will learn about each person that lost someone in each chapter. It tells what their lives are like before the shooting and leads up to the second
Maggie61
What a spellbinding little teaser to come before Steena Holmes' novel "Stillwater rising". I'd give it a 4 1/2. Before even finishing this book I had already bought Stillwater Rising. Never thought I would be so much into ebooks, (and it's a good thing too, most of Steena Holmes' novels seems to be only in ebook and I really loved the other one of hers that I read) and I can buy new books that magically appear without getting off my couch.
This book introduces you to a group of close female
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
A prequel novella that sets the stage for the first book - Stillwater Rising (which I am reviewing tomorrow). This little book packs quite the punch while introducing the HUGE cast of characters and setting the scene for the full novel.

Told through many points of view from the town, the most prominent voice is the mayor Charlotte Stone who is married to the school principal and while doesn't have kids is greatly impacted by the school shooting that occurs. I am glad the book opened at the public
Allie
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review after reading Stillwater Rising:
I would recommend reading this novella after reading the book even though it is set before the book. I feel like the novella gives away information that makes the book less exciting because you already have figured out the big secret. The novella also features chapters from the point of view of characters who are not even mentioned in the book or if so, rarely referred to. I assume these women will come into the story later, but for now have a minimal
Margie
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do not read this book unless you have Stillwater Rising in your hands - which does not comes out until November 11, 2014. Where this novella leaves you will haunt you until you get your hands on Stillwater Rising.

I loved getting an inside look at each woman before the incident. It is interesting to see their relationships to each other, their husbands and their children. It will make reading Stillwater Rising even more meaningful, as soon as I get it.

Steena Holmes has been an author I do not
Laura-Lynne Smith
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Krista Jensen
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I read this one because I got it for free. I'm planning to come back and finish the series when I have the money to buy it.
From the beginning it captured my attention. Who hasn't had to deal with a moody teenager? You never know what's going on in their heads & hearts.
My heart breaks equally for the parents of the children who takes the lives of others, as well as for the ones who lose their children to senseless acts of violence. All we can do is our absolute best at parenting and pray
Heather
This book started out okay, but by the middle, I found the pacing to be a bit slow.

I didn't like how the ending came first. The first chapter is the funeral for all those that were murdered. Then, each chapter is a different character's view of what they were doing up to the shooting. I had to keep going back to the first chapter to see if one of the characters mentioned was one that died.

I also didn't like the actual ending. I had so many more questions like why Gabe decided to shoot up an
KimberlyDawn
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steena Holmes knows how to write a book you can't put down! The subject is a hard one to read about. We have all heard about school shootings, and all the tragedies that come out of them. Unfortunately, school violence is a reality. Steena wrote this book showing the impact that school violence has on not just the ones who lost loved ones, but all of those around them. This is a prequel to Stillwater Rising, introducing us to those and what makes them who they are, in the blink of an eye. Well ...more
Crystal
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautifully written story about the tragic subject of a school shooting and the events of five close friends leading up to the tragedy. At first I didn't know if I would be able to read because it is such a sad subject but it was written so well that I could not put it down.

I am so looking forward to Stillwater Rising to find out how these five women and the tight-knit community deal with the aftereffects and how it will change their relationships.

I highly recommend this novella.

• Unexpected Gifts (Castle Mountain Lodge, #1)
  • Ripple of Secrets (Rose Gardner Mystery, #6.5)
  • Thirty-Two and a Half Complications (Rose Gardner Mystery, #5)
  • Thirty-Four and a Half Predicaments (Rose Gardner Mystery, #7)
  • The Silent Ones
  • Highest Bidder
  • The Promise of Christmas (Home for the Holidays Book 1)
  • Prejudice Meets Pride (Meet Your Match, #1)
  • The Girl I Used To Know
  • The Things I Know
  • Moral Compass
  • The Summer of New Beginnings (Magnolia Grove #1)
  • In the Cradle Lies (Tree of Life #2)
  • Dance with Me
  • Smoke Screen
  • Sweet Waters (Otter Bay #1)
  • Not My Daughter
  • Where the Hurt Is
NY Times & USA Today Bestselling Author - Steena is the author of the heart wrenching Finding Emma series.

The Word Game was included in the Top 20 Novels to be Written by Women in 2015 by Good Housekeeping.

Her latest novel - The Word Game won the 2015 USA Books Award for Best Fiction and her novel, The Memory Child was a finalist in the same category.

Steena Holmes grew up in a small town in

Stillwater Bay (3 books)
  • Stillwater Rising (Stillwater Bay, #1)
  • Dreams of Stillwater (Stillwater Bay #2)
  • Stillwater Deep (Stillwater Bay, #3)
“Sarcasm duly noted. What happened? You were fine this morning.” Camille hated to see her sister in obvious pain. It had been four years since she shattered her kneecap during a practice session for the Olympic volleyball team. Their world had been rocked and almost destroyed, along with their relationship. Without their parents around, Camille had taken onto her shoulders the role of mothering her sister, something Paige had not enjoyed. It had been a tenuous rebuild for them, but they were slowly getting there. Needless to say, though, Paige still did not like Camille’s mothering tactics. “I’m fine. It’s just a little stiff.” “But” 0 likes
“it sound” 0 likes