Start by marking “The Malted Falcon: A Chet Gecko Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Malted Falcon: A Chet Gecko Mystery

The Malted Falcon: A Chet Gecko Mystery

(Chet Gecko Mystery #7)

Freddie Nostrils is a prairie dog with a passion . . . for dessert. In fact, his sweet tooth rivals Chet Gecko's own. That's why when the winning ticket in the Malted Falcon contest goes missing, Freddie hires Chet and his mockingbird partner, Natalie Attired.
Just what is the Malted Falcon? Only the biggest, most chocolatiest, most gut-busting dessert ever imagined. Duh.
Published April 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Malted Falcon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Malted Falcon

Start your review of The Malted Falcon: A Chet Gecko Mystery
John
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chet Gecko, the rumpled PI of Emerson Hicky Elementary, solves a case involving a lost Valentine card and a stolen lottery ticket -- the prize in question being a weekly serving of the Malted Falcon, the gooiest, biggest, stickiest dessert ever. With his trusty sidekick Natalie Attired in tow, Chet tracks down the bad guys and fights off his sugar cravings.

And did I mention that Chet's a gecko -- as the surname might suggest -- while Natalie's a mockingbird and all the other staff and students
Anthony
It's the thing sweet tooth dreams are made of. The biggest, most chocolatitest, most gut-busting dessert ever imaged, and who ever has the winning ticket is set for life. The only problem, is someone has stolen the winning ticket, and Chet Gecko has been hired to find it. A lot of double talking, and double crossing will happen before Chet Gecko, and his partner Natalie Attired solve this caper.
Jacqui Robbins
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarity. I may give up adult books and just read Chet Gecko. If I were cooler, this review would be written in gumshoe.
Lauren Stoolfire
This series is so much fun, especially for noir fans!
Benjamin Elliott
It is apparent that the author has a lot of fun writing this series. the puns, the school-kid noir affectations, the whole bit.

This is the only book in this series I've read. I chose it because the first one wasn't available to me, and I've read the Maltese Falcon so I got to see if it was a "faithful adaptation."

Chet Gecko is a young gecko, obviously, who moonlights (recess-lights) as a detective, solving crimes that come up at his elementary school where he is a student. And the elementary
Nicola
Having studied both noir films in general and the Maltese Falcon in particular, I loved the book! It's full of noir conventions and references which kids are likely to chuckle at even if they don't appreciate them as much as an adult might. It's also full of hilarious similes and descriptions which work because it's a kids book and over-the-top detective noir; thoroughly enjoyed.

Sadly, this appears to be the only Chet Gecko book that our library has (and they are unlikely to buy more due to the
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Bruce Hale's The Malted Falcon
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - December 25, 2012

I recently acquired 3 bks whose titles & plots are take-offs of previously existing bks: The Malted Falcon, Captains Outrageous, & Android Karenina. This called my attn to there now being, apparently, a whole genre of such bks. Yesterday, I got a copy of The Maltese Dog - thusly adding to the collection. Fully expecting these bks to be trashily derivative I've decided to read all 4 anyway &
Heather
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wisecracking fourth-grade detective Chet Gecko and his trusty partner, Natalie Attired, have to restore the peace at Emerson Hickey Elementary yet again. This time, the stakes are high: a winning ticket for the Malted Falcon--the most yummy, scrumptious, gut-busting dessert ever--has gone missing, and it's up to Chet and Natalie to find it.

This is the first Chet Gecko book I've read, and I loved it! I picked this one up because it's the children's companion to my Library's Big Read selection,
Vashane
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was good well not an awesome book. It was sort of weird to read because the lizard doesn't like girls he isn't gay or anything he just finds girls yucky and has cooties which is weird because i think he is in 5th grade and he finds girls nasty. Which is not really cool for me, because it's girls like all boys especially me dont find girls anything weird or nasty.
This book was good it involved love which was weird for me to read but i like the part when a girl asked him to the dance
Reva Baer
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 12-year old English major son loves this series, even though he has no idea of the original titles or even the genre on which they are loosely based. In his own words, he loves "the excellent wordplay, they are chockfull of action, and they can be read over and over and still be funny."
He even laughs after I explain the titles and some of the names. (Is "Bosco Rebizzi" based on anything? Boxcar busy? Boss Scar?) I read one, as a bonding experience with my son, but that's all my contract
Sherry
3.5 stars. I thought it was a lovely linguistic, stylistic, and scene-stealing interpretation of the original "Maltese Falcon" by Dashiell Hammett. I just didn't enjoy some of the snot jokes, the wise "crack" butt joke, etc. If I was in grade school, I'd like it just a bit more, though, and that's what ultimately matters. Its a funny, smart book and many (nine to eleven year-old) kids would really enjoy it.
Ben
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone is assualting Chet Gecko in this story, Chet Gecko is tring to find the writer of this letter and his partner is helping this detective to solve the mystery

I like how Chet Gecko talks in the book and that's why I kept reading and I want to find out who is the criminal at the end of this book
Jen Selinsky
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chet Gecko is a fourth grade crime solver. Dot Maytricks, a frog, asks him to take a case. Dot said her sister gave Bert Umber a Valentine, and she wants it back. Chet also agrees to take another case, to find a ticket for a year’s supply of Malted Falcon deserts. Can Chet solve the case before the day is over and the ticket expires? Read The Malted Falcon to find out!
Emma
Aug 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth
This was the first Chet Gecko book that I had to wait for it to come out--and it was worth it!! One of my top three Chet books, I remember this one having an excellent plot and being one of the funnier ones, as well. It always seemed to be more "special" than the rest of the books, because I'd waited for it and made it last once Amazon delivered it.
Crystal
This book would be great for lower level readers... if it was easy to read. The wording and attempts at witty humor is too far above my low lever readers. So it's too hard for the kids that need to read it and too boring for the kids that don't. Oh well.
Jake Will
Mar 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
to mushy lots of romance
Wisty
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read it years ago...it was fine.
Tara
Nov 25, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Similies and word play are fun and all...but every other sentence?
Luca
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not like romantic so when that was through, nasty, EEUGGGHHH, and seriously, that big bird is really big.
Tracy
Aug 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8-11 year olds and those who teach them/youth librarians
Recommended to Tracy by: Hale is visiting my library and I want to be updated
Great introduction to Hammett's works. Uses every noir cliche [in the book]! Great puns. Recommend especially to parents who need books for their reluctant reader son.
Michael
One of my favorites. And I bought the cover art off Brad. Yeeeah!
PWRL
Oct 16, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Susan
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This was the first book in this series that I have read. It was selected for the Little Read (in conjuction with the Big Read)this May and we are having Chet Gecko parties for the children.
young moe
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i learn that dectetive does a lot in this vbook and they find evrything out
Ashley
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite series as a kid.
Louve
Apr 30, 2016
Christina
Feb 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• I Survived Hurricane Katrina, 2005 (I Survived, #3)
  • Thea Stilton and the Ghost of the Shipwreck (Thea Stilton #3)
  • My Worst Day Ever! (Julia Jones' Diary #1)
  • My Secret Bully / My Secret Dream (Julia Jones' Diary #1-2)
  • My Secret Dream (Julia Jones' Diary #3)
  • My First Boyfriend (Julia Jones' Diary #4)
  • My Life Is Great! (Julia Jones' Diary #5)
  • Wonder Woman at Super Hero High
  • DC Super Hero Girls: At Metropolis HIgh Halloween ComicFest Special Edition (2019) #1
  • I Don't Want to Have Hot Toes (Lisbon's Misadventures Book 2)
  • My Dad is a Butthead
  • Kristy's Big Day
  • Changes (Julia Jones' Diary #6)
  • Blended
  • Dog Man: Fetch-22 (Dog Man, #8)
  • Super Rabbit All-Stars!: A Branches Book (Press Start! #8)
  • Super Rabbit Boy vs. Super Rabbit Boss! (Press Start! #4)
  • Super Rabbit Boy Blasts Off! (Press Start! #5)
A serious book addict, Bruce wanted to be a children's book author since he was in 4th grade (right after he got over wanting to be a pirate, Tarzan, and Daniel Boone). Today he's the author-illustrator of over 50 seriously funny books for kids, so some dreams do come true.

The Malted Falcon, one of his Chet Gecko Mysteries series, was an Edgar Award finalist, and Murder, My Tweet won a Little D

Chet Gecko Mystery (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery