Start by marking “The Sisters of Glass Ferry” as Want to Read:
The Sisters of Glass Ferry

The Sisters of Glass Ferry

Spanning several decades and written in an authentic voice both lyrical and wise, The Sisters of Glass Ferry is a haunting novel about small-town Southern secrets, loss and atonement, and the unbreakable bond between siblings.

Glass Ferry, Kentucky, is bourbon country. Whiskey has been a way of life for generations, enabling families to provide and survive even in the darke
Published November 28th 2017 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about The Sisters of Glass Ferry, please sign up.
Kim Richardson Thank you so much for your kind words, Deborah. Yes, I am currently working on my 4th novel, 'The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek'. 'Book Woman' will …moreThank you so much for your kind words, Deborah. Yes, I am currently working on my 4th novel, 'The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek'. 'Book Woman' will be out spring 2019. The tale will showcase several fascinating historical footprints, one of which will include the brave and fierce Packhorse Librarians of Kentucky.(less)

Start your review of The Sisters of Glass Ferry
Diane S ☔
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 What I thought I was getting: I felt like reading a good, old Southern novel, maybe gothic in tone, full of Southern charm and mannerisms. I have pretty much quit reading book summaries as they so often spoil the read, give too much away. So...I saw the blurb, sisters, secrets, family, Kentucky and Bourbon, seemed right up my alley. Loved the cover, the lighting, the playfulness of it, so I began reading.

What I actually got: A cake baked by a grieving mother, hoping her missing child would c
Pauline
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The sisters of Glass Ferry by Kim Michele Richardson was a story of rape, domestic abuse and family secrets. The story it told in two different time lines by twin sisters. The story had a few twist and turns and had some surprises. I would like to thank NetGalley and Kensington Books for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Some books start off in a way that makes you just know that this book will work out very well. And, this beginning of this book with Flannery visiting her mother on her birthday and it's the twentieth one since Flannery's sister Patsy went missing. And, still, her mother expects that she will show up. This is the year, this time will Patsy return. And, yes this is the year patsy comes home, it's also the year Flannery finally will learn what happened twenty years prior, when her sisters Patsy di ...more
Judy D Collins
From Kentucky’s finest Southern storyteller, Kim Michele Richardson returns following (2016) GodPretty in the Tobacco Field and (2015) Liar's Bench with her latest gripping mystery (her best yet), crime thriller: THE SISTERS OF GLASS FERRY –Rich in character, strong family bonds, suspense, and dark deeply-buried family secrets with a Southern Gothic twist.

Set in the southern riverside town of Glass Ferry, in the heart of Kentucky bourbon—a gripping complex multi-generational tale of three
Kimberly Dawn
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: appalachia
Kim Michele Richardson has become one of my top favorite Southern writers.

She captures small town Southern living as I remember it myself, from childhood visits to Kentucky and West Virginia. Her writing in The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek calls forth my own memories of the hills, the rugged beauty which fascinated me, as well as the isolation, which I found stifling, and the hill people, whom I found mostly harsh.

Visits to small town Florida as a child and teen were much more to my liking.
Linda Zagon
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MY REVIEW OF “THE SISTERS OF GLASS FERRY” by Kim Michele Richardson
“The Sisters of Glass Ferry” by Kim Michele Richardson is an emotional and captivating novel. “The Sisters of Glass Ferry” is published by Kensington Publishing Corporation and will be out November 28,2017. The Genres for this story are Fiction, Historical Fiction, and Mystery. The timeline of the story is mostly 1952 through 1972, and though the present.There are some parts of the story that are before 1952 to explain the histo
Faithe
Oct 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Alena
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Easy and engaging read. Secrets behind secrets behind secrets. Would have been a good beach read but I has to settle for my deck.
Tonya
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
Let me just say, any time Kim has a book come out, I don't even need to know what it is about. Just yes please! The best writing ever! Pure pleasure!

Twin sisters. Flannery and Pasty, one went missing the night of prom and so the story begins. We go back and forth between 1972 and 1952 in this magical southern tale woven for us by Richardson. Bits and pieces come together much like the pearl necklace.

I can't say much more but I enjoyed this book thoroughly. Such a wonderful heartbreaking tale. T
Donna
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
In 1952 in Glass Ferry, Kentucky, twin sisters Patsy and Flannery prepare for prom night in different ways. Patsy has a date with her boyfriend Danny and Flannery has to go to work. Patsy and Danny never arrive at the prom and don't come home. No one knows if they ran off together or if something more sinister happened. But both Flannery and Danny's brother harbor secrets from that night.

The story alternates between 1952 and 1972 and is told from points of view of Patsy and Flannery. As the stor
Susan Peterson
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Sisters of Glass Ferry is a beautifully written, haunting book about sisters, sins, and secrets. Kim Michele Richardson has such a unique voice, putting the reader right into the middle of this story, its characters, and rural Kentucky. Spanning decades, this book tackles social issues such as rape and domestic abuse as it explores such intricate relationships as those between twins, mothers and daughters, brothers, and fathers and daughters. These relationships were the heart of the story t ...more
G.J.
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance copy of this wonderful story and am pleased to review it here. From the opening chapter, "Sisters" grabs and does not let go until long after the reader closes the back cover.

Twin sisters, born eight minutes apart, live as might any other two girls competing for their parent's attention, for boys, for good grades, for a grand life out of a small Kentucky town (Glass Ferry) in the 1950s. On the night of their high school prom, their futures are forever changed. The older tw
Patricanne
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
As this is quite a short book it kept me reading and I finished it quickly, but I found it irritating in construction and pointlessly wordy in places. If you condense it down to the bones it is also extremely violent. I found the most annoying part was the constantly returning to the girls childhood and the prom night when Patsy and Danny disappeared, and the way Patsy expected, and got, her own way and everything she wanted-until she didn’t. How Flannery coped and her life after was more intere ...more
Meg Lelvis
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to give this book more than three stars because I think it's generally well-written, and I enjoyed the author's other book. It went back and forth between 1952 and 1972 so much that I got seasick and lost the thread and momentum of the original story.
Also, the story could've been condensed; too much unneeded detail and repetition. It didn't ring true to me in situations involving Flannery as an adult, which I won't mention due to spoilers.
I wish writers wouldn't try and be cutesy in nam
Sue Risseeuw
May 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
I made myself finish the book because I bought it. The story was boring and contrived. I found myself having to re-read sentences because they didn’t make sense. The flow of words was not good. The author would throw in descriptive words to try and paint a picture but the chosen words didn’t fit right. There were a few surprises in the book but I found myself not caring about the characters so what happened in the book didn’t matter much. Pretty book cover art, though.
Nancy
Jun 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A really good story with some twists and turns.
Kate Olson
Thanks to the publisher for this review copy!

If you love dark Southern intrigue, this one may be for you. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it did feel like there were about 5 extraneous story lines and some overdramatic moments that could have been avoided.
Amy (TheSouthernGirlReads)
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s
I received The Sisters in exchange for an honest review. The opinions posted are exclusively mine.
This book came to me at a time where I am craving light and happy. You will get neither from this story. It is a well written Southern Fiction that incorporates very timely matters based in the 50’s – 70’s. Although, this book was not exactly what I had anticipated, I am anxious to read it again…when I am in a “place” for a serious subject matter. Thank you to Kensington Publishing and Kim for this
Cheryl
Sep 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how I feel.....

I felt as if the author often lost control of her story. I felt no connection to the characters and had trouble, at times, getting a mental picture. The dialog was not believable.
Nancy Beshears
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I was really enjoying this book until the very end, when it abruptly ended and left me with unanswered questions. It left me with a sour taste unfortunately.
Melody
4.5 I listened to the audiobook and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have enjoyed all of Kim Michelle Richardson's books so far! ...more
Terri
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review also found at https://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/...

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you!

I was drawn in to this story as I wanted to find out more about Patsy's story and what happened to her.  The story slowly unfolds as it goes between the past and the present (although the present is still in the past).  The reader finds out about the dynamic of each member of the Butler family while waiting to find out
Margaret Crampton
LaMesha
This was a great southern story. I listened to it on audible. It jumped back & forth a bit, but I was okay with that. It was a 4 star read until the ending. I need to no more please lol.
Kathleen Sara Shattuck
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Review~ "The Sisters of Glass Ferry" by Kim Michele Richardson
...this is Kim's third and latest work of fiction. I've read them all.

My first insight: Her words are nothing less than poetic...She sculpts her words with texture...a true artist indeed. I read her stories and absorb the beauty of each word...they hang in midair, then slowly and softly fall between leaves to an earth as warm as her voice.

My second insight: She doesn't write for the faint of heart, this story is not a story to be
Tj
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-freebie
Leaves you more questions than answers.

The book is lyrical. At times almost too much so and works better as an audiobook. I don't think I would have finished the print version. The narrator's voice adds something to the story and helps when the author's descriptions become too poetic.

The main characters are the Butler twins and the events of 1952 and 1972. Women in that time and place (KY) were not always treated with kindness. Also, there are entirely too many references to spankings or lightin
Pam
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know where I found out about this book but wish I hadn't. I had an inkling from the beginning so did not buy it, rented it on Kindle from the Library. Thank Goodness. It was really not very good, was going to give it 1 star but the writing was OK, it was easy to skim much of it on the Kindle and the last chapter or so gave it a decent ending. I reread all these glowing reviews, well there were really not that many total reviews at all - 53 and even less on Amazon so I suppose that tells ...more
Tonni Callan
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading Flanerry’s story from a twin’s perspective myself was a bit raw for me. I related to Flannery as half of a set of twins and at times, it felt as if the author was in my own head!
Quite an engrossing tale of family, loss, responsibility, and revenge. I really enjoyed the many twists throughout the story. But I also found the end a bit deflating. It seemed like we were missing a chapter, or so. Not sure if this was intentional and there will be a sequel?
Kim Michele Richardson is a new to me
Annette
Dec 02, 2017 marked it as to-read
I didn't enjoy this book. I don't know if it was just my mood or what but I kept laying the book down and not wanting to come back to it. ...more
Patty
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Kensington Books for allowing me the privilege to read The Sisters of Glass Ferry by Kim Michele Richardson. The following review contains thoughts and opinions that are entirely my own.

The Sisters of Glass Ferry by Kim Michele Richardson is impressive from its Kentucky-laced accent writing to the richly drawn characters that come to life in its pages. Richardson draws the reader in with a suspenseful way of revealing the story, as well as the reasons for what they do. Th
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Two Thousand Minnows: A Young Girl?s Story of Separation, Hope, and Forgiveness
  • In the Land of Second Chances
  • Snowfire
  • A Chance Inheritance
  • The Magdalen Girls
See top shelves…
Kim Michele Richardson lives in Kentucky and resides part-time in Western North Carolina. She has volunteered for Habitat for Humanity, building houses, and is an advocate for the prevention of child abuse and domestic violence, partnering with the U.S. Navy globally to bring awareness and education to the prevention of domestic violence. She is the author of the bestselling memoir The Unbreakable ...more

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...