Start by marking “As You Wish” as Want to Read:
As You Wish

As You Wish

What if you could ask for anything- and get it?

In the sandy Mojave Desert, Madison is a small town on the road between nothing and nowhere. But Eldon wouldnt want to live anywhere else, because in Madison, everyone gets one wishand that wish always comes true.

Some people wish for money, some people wish for love, but Eldon has seen how wishes have broken the people
Published January 2nd 2018 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about As You Wish, please sign up.
Shannon I liked the original cover as well. After reading the book, the one with the candles is a better fit I think, the original cover doesn't really fit…moreI liked the original cover as well. After reading the book, the one with the candles is a better fit I think, the original cover doesn't really fit with the story. It was prettier though.(less)

Start your review of As You Wish
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I honestly thought I was going to hate this, because there are so many negative reviews for this book! I ended up really enjoying it. I wasn't the biggest fan of Chelsea Sedoti's first book, but I could definitely see improvement with this one. I liked following our unlikable main character's story and seeing how it all played out. It went in a direction I was not expecting it to go in, which was a nice surprise.
Always Pouting
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I seemed to have enjoyed this book a lot more than most people and now I'm confused about whether or not I missed something. The book follows Eldon, who lives in a small town where everyone gets one wish on their eighteenth birthday, as he tries to figure out what to wish for. I think what most people hated about this book that made me like it is that Eldon is kind of a shit head. I often find that I enjoy shitty flawed characters a lot more and this feels like when I enjoyed things like ...more
Fidan Lurin
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: galley-reviews
As You Wish takes place in an idle and depressing small town called Madison on the outskirts of Las Vegas. Its buried deep in the Mojave Desert and its residents keep a magical secret which causes them to discourage visitors and newcomers to the town - not that anyone would want to enter that hot, dust, and tainted town anyhow. On the day of their eighteenth birthday each resident, upon having their wish formally approved by the towns mayor visit a dark, dense, yet possibly detrimental cave ...more
Sheila Goicea
See the FULL review of this book on my blog at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Content Warning: Underaged drinking, drug abuse, attempted suicide, premarital sex.

Have you ever thought about how much you said, "I wish..."?

It's funny because I hadn't; not until just a few weeks before I read this book. Coincidence? Maybe.

Either way, whether you think about how much you wish for something, or not, this book
Stacee
I was alllll over this synopsis. I love the idea of a small town with a secret like wishes...sadly it was quite disappointing.

Eldon was a hard character to like and Im not sure I ever really did. He acts before he thinks and often his actions are harsh words and punching. There are some other characters who had promise, but Eldon doesnt let them get close enough to be helpful.

Plot wise, it was sloooooooooow. I did like Eldon going around and asking people about their wishes. I was intrigued to
Jenny Baker
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arc, 2018

As You Wish was a quick, fun read! Im actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Everyone in Madison, Nevada gets one wish that comes true. Thats an interesting premise and I was interested to see how this played out. On their eighteenth birthday, Mayor Fontaine walks the wishers to the wishing cave and its quite a hike. You wish alone, although it wasnt always the rule. The rule changed due to an accidental wish. It was so tragic! Wording of the wish is everything, because if you
Krysti
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I really love the premise and setting of this story. The idea of an off-the-map, small town that is hiding this magical, and at times dark, secret is absolutely fascinating. The characters in this story are in this unique situation of getting to wish for just one thing and being guaranteed that that one thing will actually come true. The crux of the situation though, is that the wish has to be made at age 18 and the wishers are forced to live with the consequences of that wish for the rest of ...more
Cody | CodysBookshelf
Jul 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
Release date: 01.02.18

DNF at 32% (Though I did skip to the final chapter to see how things ended.)

Jesus Christ, this was the worst book I've tried to read in a long time. Maybe young adult fiction is not for me anymore? I don't know. This book is set in a small town in the desert, near Area 51. Nothing much goes on in said town, except for the occasional tourist on his or her way to find aliens. Oh, and everyone in town can make one wish that comes true on their eighteenth birthday. Why? "It
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
The sky is mostly dark now. Stars replace the sunset. Out in the desert, creatures creep out of their daytime hiding places. In the hills, the wish cave is dormant, waiting for the next birthday. Waiting to change someones life.

I really loved this story a lot, which was fantastic because Ive heard some very mixed reviews. Specifically about how everyone hates Eldon, but I am happy to say that I really liked Eldon, and I really liked this story. As You Wish is a compelling tale of fate and
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

It's rare that a book makes me as hot and bothered as this book did... I thought it was rather a strong premise so that is why I sought a copy of the book. I really loved the original cover with the beautiful purple night sky and the shadowed house and person peering up into the stars. It felt like Nevada and really made me excited for the tone of the book!

description

After I had received word I would get a copy and before I obtained that copy they
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐💫 / 5

My reviews and (maybe) some other random thoughts can also be seen at

____________________________________________________________

The premise of As You Wish is very simple. In a small (fictitious) town named Madison in Nevada, when you turn 18 you get 1 wish. What will you wish for?

That's exactly what Eldon, the narrator of our story, needs to figure out. His mom is pressuring him hardcore to wish for money because they need it. His dad just
Courtney
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of: YA magical surrealism
Recommended to Courtney by: Negalley
Shelves: netgalley, 2018-read
On the outskirts of Las Vegas, in the Mojave desert, there lays a small town called Madison - where almost nothing exciting ever happens. Everyone knows everyone else's business, there's one park that's usually left empty, there aren't any churches since the people of Madison really only follow their own religion and everyone always seems to get 'stuck' living there; its a small, dusty, hot and desolate place located in the middle of no where. But its one with a very, very big and interesting ...more
Angelica
Have you ever seen a premise for a story and thought, wow, this is so amazing it cant possibly go wrong? Yeah, me too. This was one such case. Sadly, while the idea was pretty cool, the delivery was not.

This is a book that I was really looking forward to after reading the synopsis. Could you just imagine, living in a place where your greatest wish could be granted, no matter what it was? How amazing would that be? Also, I was really excited to get into the magical realism of the story. Really,
Cesar
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars.

As You Wish caught me by surprise when I first started reading it. Before, I knew about the book and didn't have much interest in reading it. Then after some thought, and seeing mixed reviews, I decided to pick it up just to see why it got such a mixed reception. Now that I'm done with it, I can understand why some people liked it or hated it.

As You Wish centers around Eldon and his upcoming birthday. He lives in a small town in the middle of nowhere called Madison and on the surface,
Anna Priemaza
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you need your books to have loveable narrators and happy endings and justice being served and unicorns and picture perfect humans, then Chelsea Sedotis books probably arent for you.

If, on the other hand, you love flawed narrators, cynicism, people who make mistakes, and storylines that leave you thinking about right and wrong for days, all tied up in absolutely brilliant narrative voice, then you need to read every book Chelsea Sedoti writes ever.

I fall enthusiastically in the latter camp. I
~ Althea | themoonwholistens ~  ☾
// Received an advance readers copy in exchange for a fair review //

"Wishing made it a sure thing though."
"But who wants a sure thing? Life is about gambles,"

well that felt like a really long read. . .

this book !!!!!!!!

it had such a unique plot, a unique world, and I am in love with the writing style of the whole book. The history narrations of some characters was a creative addition to this already wonderful story, it made everything much easier to understand and kept up the unique twists
Brian Yahn
Feb 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
I randomly "met" the author of this book on Reddit. As it turns out, we're the same age and grew up in the same small town (roughly) in the middle of nowhere. She posted the first page of this book, and I fell in love with her writing. It reminds me of Kurt Vonnegut in some ways, of Chuck Palahniuk in others. I'm really excited this is available and I finally get to read it.
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya, nevada
The problem with an obnoxious narrator is that his is the only voice you can hear through the whole book, and in this case, he was even called out for being an asshole by his friends, so it wasn't just me that didn't like him.

Other than that, this was an interesting take on the getting the one wish and getting it right. It seemed to stretch on quite an bit, which is why the three stars. The concept was cool. Imagine if you could have one wish when you turned 18. What would you wish for, and how
Vicky Who Reads
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
5 stars

By the end of the first chapter, I was almost certain this book was going to be five stars. And, this definitely came true.

Chelsea Sedoti's As You Wish is a profound coming-of-age novel about self-discovery, wishing, and finding your path in life. Set in a small desert town called Madison in the Mojave Desert, As You Wish tells the story of a teenage boy named Eldon.

Madison isn't just any ordinary town, despite what they might want you to believe. They hide secrets from tourists who pass
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
What really drew me in to As You Wish was the premise, because mysterious small desert towns have such a surreal setting. As You Wish is set in a small, middle-of-nowhere town called Madison, where nothing ever happens - except for that everyone, on their eighteenth birthday, gets to make one wish, and one wish only. And everyone always regrets their wish. Eldon's eighteenth birthday is coming up, and so is his wish.

I was very frustrated with Eldon a lot of the time during this book, because he
Mel (Epic Reading)
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
This was a surprisingly compelling and morally interesting book. Chelsea Sedoti has taken the idea of having one wish and applied it to so many different outcomes. Both good and bad.This young adult book is a version of a coming of age novel but it doesn't read like any I've read before.

The Wish Stories
Without a doubt the best part of As You Wish are the stories that are told by town members about what they wished for and why. Each of them is like a fable. There is a reason, a justification, an
Kira Simion
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2017
"Everyone gets a wish..."

I wish to read this finished book now!

Edit: 7-28-17

MY WISH CAME TRUE! YESSSSSS!

Edit: 9-15-17

"Everyone gets a wish..."

I wish to read this finished book now!

------------------

MY WISH CAME TRUE! YESSSSSS!

3 intrigued fizzle stars.

While I absolutely adore the premise, the beginning narrator, and the torment of magic in wishes, I felt that flame slowly dwindle down to a spark then to ash.

The protagonist, Eldon, is truly unique. He is wise in that he knows his wish can have a
Kayla (Kayla's Book Nook)
Last year, I read and adored Chelsea Sedoti's debut novel, The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett. With its outstanding mystery and interesting storyline, I couldn't get enough. Finding her sophomore novel on Netgalley made me even happier, as the storyline looked yet even more interesting than that of her previous novel.

And it turned out to be that I was right! I adored pretty much every tiny thing about As You Wish. From its 3-dimensional characters to the beautiful way of words that Sedoti has,
Amber | simplyambrr 🦋
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Its kind of sad. After you make your wish, your birthday stops mattering. Nothing is ever going to top the year you turned eighteen. So everyone stops celebrating, and it becomes just another day."

Eldon's 18th birthday is coming up and he doesn't know what to wish for. In the town of Madison, Nevada, on every child's 18th birthday they have to make a wish that can change their life forever. Whether it be to become rich , have someone fall in love with you, or basically anything it will come
Figgy
RTC.

Ehhhh.

It's really hard to get invested in a story when the point-of-view narrator is such a self-absorbed, oblivious, self-righteous jerk throughout the whole story.

The premise is intriguing, and the ways that everyone having a wish granted on their eighteenth would change the general, day to day life, was definitely interesting... but there was no emotional connection.

Eldon didn't grow or learn, and it made it really hard to care. At all.
Samantha (WLABB)
I love books with magical realism and was really intrigued by this premise. I was curious to see where Sedoti would go with this idea, and while I was not disappointed, I was not blown away either.

Pro: I was immediately pulled in this story. I thought Eldon had a great voice, which was perfect for this story, and I liked being in his head.

Con: I don't exactly know why, but the middle of the book seemed to drag a little. Maybe the book was too long?

Pro: I was really surprised and pleased with
Allie
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This felt like a very smartly done allegory about the all the pain and suffering that can come from never forgiving; oneself or each other.

What would you wish for, if given the opportunity on your 18th birthday? What happens when that wish is permanent, can never be undone, even if you regret it terribly and it hurts other people?

Wishing is a magic, cultural rite of passage in Madison, Nevada. Everyone gets one wish--with only a few restrictions--in the hour of their birth on their 18th
Greg Andree
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the concept of this story, and I can feel this town existing out in the desert. The idea of getting one wish that will come true, especially when you're so young, is scary. The wish I would've made when I was 18 would not have ended well for me. And seeing teens making these choices that determine their entire lives, choices many will live to regret, is so realistic. Of course it mirrors the fact that in reality teens do make big choices that set their lives on a certain course, and it's ...more
Sarah Louise
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
After reading chapter one, I was instantly in love with this story. In the town of Madison, an unexplained phenomenon in the form of a wish takes place on your eighteen birthday. Money? Love? Success? It will be granted.

Sure, Eldon is a bit of an insufferable jerk as he navigates this mystical town, but he knows it, and I enjoyed his impulsiveness. With a grudge against wishing, he begins the task of learning the ways wishing has benefited, or perhaps corrupted, the lives of the locals. Not
Jenny Bravo
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book.
Eldon is a selfish, conceited, jock and takes every opportunity to show what a horrible person he is. But the growth that he goes through and everything that he learns and changes, just makes this book so rewarding. I couldn't put it down.
I really enjoyed the chapters that were written explaining the wishes of other townspeople. The writing style was thoroughly Eldon. Spoken like a 17 year old, I related to some of his emotions from that age. Well done!
Bookish First Rea...: As You Wish by Chelsea Sodoti 1 2 Oct 22, 2019 09:12AM

• Before I Let Go
  • The Liars of Mariposa Island
  • The Similars (The Similars, #1)
  • The Undoing of Thistle Tate
  • People Like Us (People Like Us, #1)
  • Two Can Keep a Secret
  • A Danger to Herself and Others
  • Four Secrets
  • Grendel's Guide to Love and War
  • Shoot the Moon (Seeking Mansfield, #2)
  • Your One & Only
  • This Is Not A Love Letter
  • The Year They Fell
  • The New Dark
  • Hidden Pieces
  • The Summer of Broken Things
  • Love & Luck (Love & Gelato, #2)
  • Emergency Contact
Chelsea Sedoti fell in love with writing at a young age after discovering that making up stories was more fun than doing her school work (her teachers didnt always appreciate this.) In an effort to avoid getting a real job, Chelsea explored careers as a balloon twister, filmmaker, and paranormal investigator. Eventually she realized that her true passion is writing about flawed teenagers who are ...more