Start by marking “Remembrance of Earth's Past: The Three-Body Trilogy (Remembrance of Earth's Past #1-3)” as Want to Read:

Remembrance of Earth's Past: The Three-Body Trilogy

(Remembrance of Earth's Past #1-3)

This discounted ebundle includes: The Three-Body Problem, The Dark Forest, Death’s End

"Wildly imaginative, really interesting." —President Barack Obama

The Three-Body trilogy by New York Times bestseller Cixin Liu keeps you riveted with high-octane action, political intrigue, and unexpected twists in this saga of first contact with the extraterrestrial Trisolaris.

Th

Published March 14th 2017 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Remembrance of Earth's Past, please sign up.
Hunt Ball Lightning by Liu Cixin. It was written right before the three-body trilogy. The story is quite impressive and shocking, though not as grand as th…moreBall Lightning by Liu Cixin. It was written right before the three-body trilogy. The story is quite impressive and shocking, though not as grand as the three-body trilogy.(less)

Start your review of Remembrance of Earth's Past: The Three-Body Trilogy (Remembrance of Earth's Past #1-3)
Erik Johnson
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Remembrance of Earth's Past" is a serious contender for the greatest science fiction trilogy yet written. Astonishingly creative, daringly ambitious, staggering in scope and scale, it dwarfs the most grandiose visions of any space epic ever conceived. And yet, it is as personal and intimate as a lover's journal; tragic, deeply philosophical, poetic and cruelly beautiful. Strikingly original in plot and execution, full of mind-blowing twists, it demonstrates that there is still artistry in the w ...more
Soham
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is there to say? There are no words I could etch into stone that would do the contents of this trilogy justice. This is one of those tales that transcends itself and stays with you through life, dyed in every decision and a silent companion in all stages of the remainder of your journey through space and time.

I just hope that you too borrow a little time to go on this detour and that one day fate brings our paths together again.
Miles
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cixin’s Liu’s Remembrance of Earth’s Past is a perfect and peerless narrative achievement. Not only is it the best piece of science fiction I’ve ever read, but it would also be a strong contender for my favorite story of all time. I think that giving away any major plot points or world-building features would do a disservice to anyone who might read the trilogy (which everyone should), so for this review I’ll stick to commenting only on its broad thematic implications.

I do not think it’s hyperbo
YJ Carla
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Staggering scale, both in time and space, yet a deeply intimate and personal story of three main characters who bore witness to earth’s history. How the different threads of the book (especially the fairy tales in book 3) tie together thrills me at every knot.

Wasn’t impressed by the second book’s translation, but the lyrical quality of Ken Liu’s translation of the first and third book transcends the Chinese original.
Simon Creary
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mind-blowing in scope; human and accessible in tone, pace (rather quick, but manageable), and overall writing. I highly highly recommend this trilogy hailing from a Chinese master of science-fiction.
Myself, discovered this gem after consulting a former-President Barack Obama reading list of 2016.. he also seemed to have liked it.
Enjoy!
S.
Mark
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best SciFi series that I've read. The story kept unfolding throughout the novels and kept me interested the whole way. Yes, there were some dry sections, but this is hard sci-fi and provided useful info. Highly recommended. ...more
Will White
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book series that changes you. You can't be the same after you finish reading it.

The author (and translator) did a great job of weaving extremely complex scientific ideas into the fabric of the plot. The writing was magical, and there were many unforgettable episodes. I'm not a big science fiction guy, but man, this book walloped me.

Power through the slow parts of the trilogy; the overall effect is totally worth it, and all the challenging stuff has major payoffs down the road
Andy
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
First book is great, second book is good, third book is amazing!
Alice
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
it took me almost two years to finish this book, but it was worth it. cons: dense technical sections and a dizzying array of characters, making it hard to pick it back up after stepping away for a bit. pros: incredibly imaginative, staggering sci-fi, “like a dark mirror held to humanity,” as one review wrote. i felt my brain expanding in a way that it hasn’t for a while.
Daniel Zsombor
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
The story excels with some of its grander ideas and especially in its take on the Fermi Paradox. I would recommend reading it just because of this single thing, which honestly carries the whole trilogy by itself and makes it a worthwhile read. Unfortunately, the books do not excel in other areas and in some aspects, they are downright bigoted and insulting. Overall the trilogy is an extremely mixed bag. This is a spoiler review.
P.S: Liu Cixin supports the Chinese Government’s genocide of Uyghurs
Benjamin De la fuente
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth the journey. It’s difficult to imagine an epic of greater scale or ambition. Liu’s imagination and thoroughness are impressive. It’s hard to articulate the scope and breadth of this work.

Like a lot of good science fiction, this trilogy ends up highlighting the uniqueness of being human - that our culture, emotions, and motivations are sometimes enabled and hindered by science and technology, but that in the end, the essence of what makes us human persists.
Anker Bilde
18th August 2020
After finishing the third book:
I can't even start to image how Liu got the idea.
How he thought "I think I will build the biggest tale I can imagine"
It starts with the chinese cultural revolution, and reaches from the fall of Constantinople 1453 to the fall of the universe billions of years from now.

27th July 2020
I haven't finished this yet, but I'm halfway through the second book.
The third sci-fi trilogy in my 2020 sci-fi trilogy-trilogy.
The first of them was Broken Earth, which
August Zhen
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t read sci-fi for ages. It used to be my favourite genre, still remember my childhood years sitting in the tiny primary school library. Haunted by the vision of getting into one good middle school, I might permit myself sometimes some freedom by immersing into a totally exotic and alien world. I hunted for the newest “sci-fi world” magazine in thirst. Now I found out Liu is one of the famous writers for that magazine I read then. I probably have come across his short novels along with man ...more
Ye
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mindblowing...
James Chong
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Remembrance of Earth’s Past trilogy is the deepest and most mind-blowing science fiction I have ever had the good fortune to read. This is “hard” science fiction at its finest and most human - I honestly don’t know how this can be topped, from the multitude of ideas and imagination spread across 3 books and the sheer amount of breadth.

Cixin Liu has done for science fiction what Tolkien did for fantasy with the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit put together.

It’s difficult for me to consider
Viola
Nov 30, 2020 added it
Shelves: science-fiction

(1963- ) Multiple award-winning Chinese author who swiftly shot to prominence in the People's Republic after the publication of his debut short story "Jing Ge" ["Whale Song"] (June 1999 Kehuan Shijie). A graduate of the North China Institute of Water Power and Hydroelectric Engineering, he inadvertently presents a rather traditional career path for Chinese science fiction writers, continuing to work as a senior engineer for the China Power Investment Corpo
Daxiang Na
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the original version of this trilogy twice. The first time was when I was ~25 y/o. I was shocked by the concept. The second time is right before the quarantine. This time I was impressed by the detailed description in the story. The complicated personalities of the characters are fantastic. Shi Qiang is my favorite character.
Matt Herman
Aug 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Liu Cixin has made some pretty deplorable comments regarding the treatment of the Uyghurs in China recently. For this reason, I would not want to support him any further as an author and hope that this review can act to discourage others from supporting the author.

Also, knowing this, there is no reason to give Cixin the benefit of the doubt regarding sexism in his writing. I had thought it was more about his awkwardness with writing about general human interactions, but now I think it's safe to
Paul Labbe
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating journey from start to finish

A long pleasant read. I liked the characters and the story. I wish I could hold all the names easily in my mind, but there are too many. I hope many people enjoy this book.
Alex Stinson
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super ambitious and the firsy two books are absolutely compelling reads that draw you in and keep you engaged. I found the third novel falling off in terms of its compelling plot, but by that point you are so commited that you want to finish: and the ending is rewarding nevertheless.
Yuri
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Epic

Epic hard science fiction. Despite some holes, inconsistencies, and illogical parts, it’s very solid and entertaining. I recommend this book.
Alex
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wild.
Adhika Ramanto
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Survival is the primary need of civilization, and that civilization continuously grows and expands, but the total matter in the universe remains constant."

Fantastically vivid in its scientific speculations, rigorous and cold in its logic, yet Remembrance of Earth's Past is dazzlingly poetic in picturing the universe at large and its relation to the human experience. It gets better and better, grander and grander with each book it will be hard to believe where the story started by the time it en
Andrew
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Robin
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can be said.....just kept for some moment speechless after finishing the last page of the last book. It was a long read, but really.......there is nothing compared to this series in the scientific genre in the world as per my read. It will be very less to even give review to the book collection considering what a unique journey it was. The enriching thing was the details. At the first book the concept seemed very common , but as it gradually went it makes someone to think deeply about our s ...more
Rick Couture
This is the first book I have ever read that made me think;
"If done right, the movie will be better than the book".

P.S: Liu Cixin supports the Chinese Government’s genocide of Uyghurs so if you want to read these books, I would highly recommend getting them for free or buying them second hand as to not support the author financially.

Just some random thoughts - I may write a proper review later.

3 stars...I would have given 4 but I feel a need to offset the multiple 5 star reviews.

Maybe my expect
JJacy1
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
That’s it?

This is my review for all three books; It’s been a long time since I’ve had such mixed feelings on a book(s).

First the good stuff; Descriptions of places and people are for lack of better words, “lavish.” Characters and their feelings are deeply explored and they themselves have a huge sense of complexity and depth. They evolve and change and it’s great that way.

The bad; pacing is terrible. Maybe a spoiler of sorts so don’t read more- for a series of books that span “all” of humanity’s
H. Dalloway
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Chinese foundation trilogy for the new millennium. A Space opera that cuts through space, time and matter. A quantum physicians wet dream. A fascinating and exiting odyssey you never want to end. Where the end is really never just the end, its just the principles for your existence that have changed.

The story is well written and engaging all through the three books. And though it has many similarities with the foundation trilogy the storytelling isn't on the same level. It is very intellectual
Bernarducho
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
These books took me by surprise. It took a Chinese author to write a really different story. Although he is still in the tradition of Asimov and Heinlein, it truly deviates from the norm thanks to the authors' personal and cultural background.
Each book grows logarithmically from where the last one left it. The crisis and the characters grow in unexpected ways, differentiating each book from the others. The first book starts as a "detective story meets gamers"; the second is a psychological dram
Kewen Ding
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
The trilogy has tons of interesting ideas, not all satisfying explored. The author's depiction of women is repulsive, reminds me of the stereotypical socially awkward smart male student who nonetheless has a grand sense of self thanks to his self-aware intelligence and not so much self-aware male ego. This trilogy is at its best when it envisions sci-fi ideas, at its worst when it tries to criticize politics and "good intentions". It has a willful and juvenile sense and depiction of human emotio ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Fifth Season / The Obelisk Gate / The Stone Sky
  • The Redemption of Time
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • 看见
  • 货币战争
  • The Inheritance Trilogy (Inheritance, #1-3.5)
  • Fossil Men: The Quest for the Oldest Skeleton and the Origins of Humankind
  • Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World
  • Dragon's Egg (Cheela, #1)
  • The Seven Storey Mountain
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess
  • Napolitudine: Dialoghi sulla vita, la felicità, e la smania 'e turnà
  • La conjura de los necios
  • Echopraxia (Firefall, #2)
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Necropolis (Gaunt's Ghosts #3)
  • Ghostmaker (Gaunt's Ghosts #2)
Science Fiction fan and writer.

Liu Cixin also appears as Cixin Liu

Remembrance of Earth's Past (3 books)
  • The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1)
  • The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)
  • Death's End (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #3)