Start by marking “Remembrance of Earth's Past: The Three-Body Trilogy (Remembrance of Earth's Past #1-3)” as Want to Read:

Remembrance of Earth's Past: The Three-Body Trilogy

(Remembrance of Earth's Past #1-3)

This discounted ebundle includes: The Three-Body Problem, The Dark Forest, Death’s End

"Wildly imaginative, really interesting." —President Barack Obama

The Three-Body trilogy by New York Times bestseller Cixin Liu keeps you riveted with high-octane action, political intrigue, and unexpected twists in this saga of first contact with the extraterrestrial Trisolaris.

The

Published March 14th 2017 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Remembrance of Earth's Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remembrance of Earth's Past

Start your review of Remembrance of Earth's Past: The Three-Body Trilogy (Remembrance of Earth's Past #1-3)
Erik Johnson
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Remembrance of Earth's Past" is a serious contender for the greatest science fiction trilogy yet written. Astonishingly creative, daringly ambitious, staggering in scope and scale, it dwarfs the most grandiose visions of any space epic ever conceived. And yet, it is as personal and intimate as a lover's journal; tragic, deeply philosophical, poetic and cruelly beautiful. Strikingly original in plot and execution, full of mind-blowing twists, it demonstrates that there is still artistry in the ...more
Soham
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is there to say? There are no words I could etch into stone that would do the contents of this trilogy justice. This is one of those tales that transcends itself and stays with you through life, dyed in every decision and a silent companion in all stages of the remainder of your journey through space and time.

I just hope that you too borrow a little time to go on this detour and that one day fate brings our paths together again.
Yuanjian
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Staggering scale, both in time and space, yet a deeply intimate and personal story of three main characters who bore witness to earth’s history. How the different threads of the book (especially the fairy tales in book 3) tie together thrills me at every knot.

Wasn’t impressed by the second book’s translation, but the lyrical quality of Ken Liu’s translation of the first and third book transcends the Chinese original.
Simon Creary
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mind-blowing in scope; human and accessible in tone, pace (rather quick, but manageable), and overall writing. I highly highly recommend this trilogy hailing from a Chinese master of science-fiction.
Myself, discovered this gem after consulting a former-President Barack Obama reading list of 2016.. he also seemed to have liked it.
Enjoy!
S.
Mark
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best SciFi series that I've read. The story kept unfolding throughout the novels and kept me interested the whole way. Yes, there were some dry sections, but this is hard sci-fi and provided useful info. Highly recommended.
Miles
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cixin’s Liu’s Remembrance of Earth’s Past is a perfect and peerless narrative achievement. Not only is it the best piece of science fiction I’ve ever read, but it would also be a strong contender for my favorite story of all time. I think that giving away any major plot points or world-building features would do a disservice to anyone who might read the trilogy (which everyone should), so for this review I’ll stick to commenting only on its broad thematic implications.

I do not think it’s
Will White
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book series that changes you. You can't be the same after you finish reading it.

The author (and translator) did a great job of weaving extremely complex scientific ideas into the fabric of the plot. The writing was magical, and there were many unforgettable episodes. I'm not a big science fiction guy, but man, this book walloped me.

Power through the slow parts of the trilogy; the overall effect is totally worth it, and all the challenging stuff has major payoffs down the
Alice
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
it took me almost two years to finish this book, but it was worth it. cons: dense technical sections and a dizzying array of characters, making it hard to pick it back up after stepping away for a bit. pros: incredibly imaginative, staggering sci-fi, “like a dark mirror held to humanity,” as one review wrote. i felt my brain expanding in a way that it hasn’t for a while.
Benjamin De la fuente
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth the journey. It’s difficult to imagine an epic of greater scale or ambition. Liu’s imagination and thoroughness are impressive. It’s hard to articulate the scope and breadth of this work.

Like a lot of good science fiction, this trilogy ends up highlighting the uniqueness of being human - that our culture, emotions, and motivations are sometimes enabled and hindered by science and technology, but that in the end, the essence of what makes us human persists.
Paul Labbe
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating journey from start to finish

A long pleasant read. I liked the characters and the story. I wish I could hold all the names easily in my mind, but there are too many. I hope many people enjoy this book.
Alex Stinson
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super ambitious and the firsy two books are absolutely compelling reads that draw you in and keep you engaged. I found the third novel falling off in terms of its compelling plot, but by that point you are so commited that you want to finish: and the ending is rewarding nevertheless.
Andy
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
First book is great, second book is good, third book is amazing!
Yuri
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Epic

Epic hard science fiction. Despite some holes, inconsistencies, and illogical parts, it’s very solid and entertaining. I recommend this book.
Alex
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wild.
JJacy1
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
That’s it?

This is my review for all three books; It’s been a long time since I’ve had such mixed feelings on a book(s).

First the good stuff; Descriptions of places and people are for lack of better words, “lavish.” Characters and their feelings are deeply explored and they themselves have a huge sense of complexity and depth. They evolve and change and it’s great that way.

The bad; pacing is terrible. Maybe a spoiler of sorts so don’t read more- for a series of books that span “all” of humanity’s
Kewen Ding
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
The trilogy has tons of interesting ideas, not all satisfying explored. The author's depiction of women is repulsive, reminds me of the stereotypical socially awkward smart male student who nonetheless has a grand sense of self thanks to his self-aware intelligence and not so much self-aware male ego. This trilogy is at its best when it envisions sci-fi ideas, at its worst when it tries to criticize politics and "good intentions". It has a willful and juvenile sense and depiction of human ...more
Colin Rowat
I struggled to get through the first volume: the writing was leaden, the characters unbelievable, and the whole book felt like a bit of a Long March. However, there were enough interesting ideas to keep me going.

The writing (or translation) improves and - by the end of the third volume - I was won over. Liu paints with a huge canvas, working out ideas new to me; in contrast to the first volume, the final rises at points to the poetic. (I'm still unsure whether its conclusion is a conscious
Raja
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really, really high-concept, eon-spanning hard SF that basically postulates the opposite of a pan-galactic utopia, where the sublimed races of the Culture universe are nihilists rather than enlightened. This premise, the frequent mass hysteria in the human population, and the extremely stilted dialogue, all seem very Chinese to me, but I might just be engaging in Orientalism there.
Tony Korneagay
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Awe-Inspiring

Quite possibly the best science fiction I've read in years. Crafted like a future history of the universe with well-developed characters.......I can't recommend this enough.
Mjumbe Poe
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweeping future-historical saga. Traces events as far back as the Ottoman siege of Constantinople, to billions of years into the future of civilization in the cosmos.
Gabriel Cloutier
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book, can be slow at time.
Joshua
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Required reading for those who look to the stars and wonder what do.
Gary Sogar
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Way too depressing for me. Also, I found the physics hypotheses tedious.
Mats Broen
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pure genius
Jason Pryde
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brendan
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the trilogy overall. The series reminds me of classic sci-fi from Asimov, Clarke, and others. The focus on hard science and esoteric physics and unusual plots is what made the books interesting to me.

There is not a single hero that lives through each book, instead each book has it's own main character. The main characters overlap in the books, but each book has it's distinct hero. The amount of characters in each book drops off. In the first book, there are several different characters
Bryan Goldstein
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
R
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual: 3.5

The ideas are really, really interesting and carry the series. I found myself extremely irritated by the characters and their choices really often, but ultimately they seemed more like vehicles through which to tell the story of the speculative science.

I found myself unable to put the books down during some parts, and feeling completely bogged down and wondering if I would finish in others. Ultimately, I landed on 4 stars because the "hard sci fi" elements were so interesting and
Santi
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some caveats: This trilogy has many flaws. Firstly, at times it lacks a stronger editorial pov - the author just keeps going on stray paths. At others, it just overwhelms you with its science (strongly underscore science in science fiction here), making it hard for the casual reader. And in some instances, instead of being too slow, it goes too fast. Pacing and consistency are perhaps the biggest deficits throughout the trilogy, particularly felt in book 1 (the weakest of the 3).

And yet,
Nora
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I was really interested to read this book because I had heard so much about it. I have now finished it and am a little ambivalent about the experience. I will not summarize the plot, but a review cannot hope to be entirely spoiler free.

What I enjoyed: The scientific ideas, especially around the possibilities of dimensions were fascinating. The visual descriptions were mind-bending. This ability to portray the unknowable experience of seeing in other dimensions was some of the authors most
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Redemption of Time
  • Waste Tide
  • Singularity Sky (Eschaton, #1)
  • The Unicorn Project
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Hyperion / The Fall of Hyperion / Endymion / Rise of Endymion
  • Foundation and Empire (Foundation #2)
  • On the Steel Breeze (Poseidon's Children, #2)
  • The MaddAddam Trilogy: Oryx and Crake / The Year of the Flood / MaddAddam
  • Ender's Shadow Three-Book Set: Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, and Shadow Puppets (Ender's Shadow #1-3)
  • Journey Under the Midnight Sun
  • The Inheritance Trilogy (Inheritance, #1-3.5)
  • The Dreamblood Duology
  • Loving to Know: Covenant Epistemology
  • Neptune's Brood (Freyaverse #2)
  • Saturn's Children (Freyaverse #1)
  • Iron Sunrise (Eschaton, #2)
  • Jerusalem: The Biography
Science Fiction fan and writer.

Liu Cixin also appears as Cixin Liu

Remembrance of Earth's Past (3 books)
  • The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1)
  • The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)
  • Death's End (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #3)
“You’re one of the calmest people I’ve ever met.”
“The calmness comes from cynicism. There’s not much in the world that can make me care.”
4 likes