Start by marking “A Day Makes (The Vault, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Day Makes (The Vault, #1)

A Day Makes

(The Vault #1)

Mob enforcer Ceaton Mercer has killed a lot of people in a lot of different ways - he stashed the last two bodies in a toolshed belonging to a sweetheart marine researcher in an idyllic island community - but he's really not such a bad guy. Over time he's found a home of sorts, and he even learns he's found a place in the hearts of the people he works with...at least enoug ...more
Published April 19th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

Jenni Lea

Episode XIII: Return of the Crack

Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away... Okay, a couple of weeks ago in houses on opposite coasts of the US, but who's counting? Anyways, Red and I are back for another episode of Crack Time With Calmes (damn, we're chatty!) and let me tell you... the crack was strong in this one. We got our fix and are jonesing for more. Check it out!

Oh the crack is strong in this one! Mary brought her A game, she’s here to conquer and she ain’t taking no prisoners. I loved
Emma Sea
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy Jeebus that was THE BEST MARY CALMES EVAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Oh my freaking god that was SO GOOD!

(view spoiler)

Also a peacoat, cheek caressing, golden skin, an orphan MC, an eyebrow waggle, insta-family, condomless sex (Mary taunts us with pretend pie) . . . gah I am so happy *cries a little*
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Ridiculous, but I sort of loved it!

I'm the first to admit that I'm not typically a Mary Calmes fan. I have to be in the mood for a very particular kind of story, and I guess I was in the mood for that kind of story today because this one just worked for me.

It's Mary Calmes to the max, baby!!

Sure, the plot is... interesting. An "unapologetic mobster with the heart of gold"-kinda plot. I had NO idea where it was going or when we were FINALLY going to meet the love interest. The romance, when we
Renée
A mob enforcer with a heart of gold? Before you snort, there is something inherently romantic that can come from a story with this premise. Few could pull this off. Mary is one of them.

The set up for A Day Makes is that in one, single, day, Ceaton Mercer's life is changed forever. He meets the love of his life. But that's not all.

The entire book doesn't take place in said day. There is a lot of development of Ceaton's character. We first span years of his life. How he came from unwanted child t
Wendy
4.5-stars.png (600×117):

Mary, Mary Mary, how I love thee, let me count the ways.....

how-do-i-love-thee-o.gif (320×192)

So we have another winner !!! I loved this book...it's just as awesome as I expected it to be. It had all the required ingredients...

A hot guy everyone wanted to be friends with   Teek, Mark, Corrigeren, Keuze, Registreer, Ja, Icon:
Some ridiculous over the top scenes Teek, Mark, Corrigeren, Keuze, Registreer, Ja, Icon:
Insta-love/lust Teek, Mark, Corrigeren, Keuze, Registreer, Ja, Icon:

.............all that and so much more....

This books starts of with the story of Ceaton Mercer, ex marine, and how he became a mob enforcer. I loved Ceaton from the very start.

What I loved most about this
BWT (Belen)
Updated for audiobook 06/20/2017 -

Quite simply: Greg Tremblay made this even better, and I didn't even think that was possible.

Fantastic character voices, especially accents (of which there were MANY), all done brilliantly.

100% Recommended.

**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~
Now, it's true that I'm a Calmesaniac. I make no bones that Mary Calmes writes the kind of crack I'm addicted to.

But this story? Holy. Shit. What a fantastic freaking ride you guys! Seriously, that was like the best ro
Barbara➰
I honestly don't know what to make of this book. The mc's don't even meet until 50% or so and then it's very insta everything. Nothing went the way I expected which wasn't necessarily a bad thing but I feel like it was incomplete. It needed more. I really, really wanted more of their relationship. I'm not even sure I want to read the next one. Oh well, can't love them all I guess.
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
I think it's safe to say, with the exception of the Marshal's series - which I LOVE, Mary Calmes just isn't for me.

The last 1/2 of this book was so ridiculously OTT. Not to say the first half wasn't OTT as well, but it just didn't have the cheese factor the second half had.

I actually liked the first half quite a bit. The mafia plot-line, all of the characters. I mean, I did think Grigor was the love interest.....and maybe I would have liked it more had he been.

But once Brinley and Ceaton meet
Susan
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gbr, mm, audio, comfort-reads
Updated for audio edition:

I love Greg Tremblay as a narrator. He has the uncanny ability to know just which voice to give the characters so that they sound exactly like I pictured them. And I looooove his accents. He is just so good at it.

But while I've never been able to catch Greg making a mistake, he did make one here. For a couple of sentences he made Luka have an accent, while he did not have one. That was kind of funny, although a bit confusing I have to say.

Still, Greg Tremblay is a king
Susan
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it

This book is INSANE.

And I loved it!

Because, ya know…Mary Calmes. Pretty much explains it all. Peacoats, eye waggles, 100000 characters…all the over-the-top goodness that sweeps me away in the pages.

It was unclear even up till about the 40% mark who the love interest was going to be…even the blurb doesn’t reveal. But once it happens, it’s unapologetic instalove to the max! And I LOL’d all while my heart busted at the seams. Realistic? Nah. Satisfying? Absofuckinglutely.

As long as I know that th
Jenni Lea

Audible review.

Greg Tremblay is good for my health.

I started listening to audio books during my workouts as a way to keep focused and it turns out, I can only focus enough to listen to them while I'm working out. Win win for me!

With this book, I found myself extending my workouts so I could keep listening and on numerous occasions I've had to forcibly stop listening so I wouldn't go overboard.

His voice, y'all.

His voice.

He got the tone right every time. Every single time. And his accents! Guh!
Shile
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well I loved reading this.. This is a story about a mob enforcer whom you cant help but fall in love with, even though he kills people..... leave it to Mary Calmes to make you enjoy such a story......

description

OOhhh and its insta-love at its best, falling in love in a day.. yaap i know that's one eye rolling moment but really do i care? Nope!

I loved it

its crack...

Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oh. My. God. What is this brilliance and why am I always so shocked by it?

Again, she did it again.

Seriously though, how is it I am always dumfounded and always in awe?

May that feeling never change…

Every single time I read a Mary Calmes book I get swept up, I can’t put it down, I fall instantly in love and I just want to read it all over again when it ends, and believe me, it always ends way too fast. And yet, I am shocked at the level of emotion I feel, Every. Single. Time.

This book.

Absolute
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
This gets all of the stars. Please, please, please let this be the start of a series. PLEASE.

4/15/2017 Yep. I've already read it again. I cannot wait for this to have audio.
Ele
Sep 30, 2017 added it
Shelves: i-rest-my-case
DNF @70%

Don't shoot! I know that Mary Calmes has a very loyal fanbase. I really appreciate that; I have a few favorite authors whose work is not intended for everyone, but I love it. I can even see why. Calmes writes good humour, interesting characters, and hot sex. And there are always peacoats, so...

English is not my mother tongue, so the quick-changing narrative techniques, the lack of dialogue, the somewhat "scattered" writing, things that someone might find great, always leave me like....

He
Natasha
DNF around 70%.

This sucks. Amazing writing. Exciting. Sexy MC: Ceaton. Just... it was so working for me.

Until Brin.

(Maybe I'll come back to this one day. But today is not that day.)
Line
Hahahaha... I kind of liked this one, a lot, for some reason, even though it was insta-something and violence (not explicit as such, but I'm finding that I'm having trouble with other very violent mafia-type-books) this one however worked.

Ceaton was goddamn cool and Brin was freaking adorable.
I know half of the book wasn't even about them, but Ceaton's story had me sucked in... So for an insta-something with an MC who was on the 'wrong' side of the law, I was very entertained.
Debra
Review originally posted at Sinfully.

Ceaton Mercer is a mob enforcer, but that doesn’t make him a bad guy. We get to know Ceaton as a loyal man who has found a family in the men he works with. The first part of the story follows Ceaton from the end of his service as a Marine and for several years after as he finds himself working and killing for the Serbian mob in Vegas. He is trusted by his boss, Grigor, and the men that work with him, Luka, Pravi and Marko, are like his brothers. He doesn’t ki
JenMcJ
Apr 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok...does Ceaton equal Keaton or Seaton? That really bugged me all the way through.

If you're a fan of Mary Calmes, and I haven't seen many m/m readers that aren't, a lot of suspended disbelief and blind devotion will carry you through....but I think the ending deserved more of her higher standard of writing and character development than we got.

I actually really liked the first 2/3rds of this book. The last 1/3 of the book was incredibly rushed and seemed to get a lot of the motivations bogged
Jay
3.5 stars – A Day Makes is my first time reading a story by Mary Calmes, and I’m torn between my thorough enjoyment of the background story and my almost complete irritation over the romantic portion. Granted, the latter comes largely from it taking place in such a brief time period, so the fact that the writing is good and the point-of-view (POV) character is quite fascinating means I can give this one a recommendation in spite of my issues.

The format of the story is a little unusual for a roma
Sara
5 Hearts

Buddy read and review with my girl Jenni Lea.

description

Holy Crack! This was amazing. This was so damn good. It was packed with adventure, intrigue, murdering mobsters, crazy and hilarious banter, surprises aplenty and the oh so swoony “MINE” style of romance that makes me giddy AF for a Mary Calmes story.

There isn’t much I can say about this book without giving it away so maybe I’ll just give a few highlights of sorts.

Ceaton Mercer is fresh outta the Marines when he is offered a job to work for a
Karen
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We all need love...even gangsters...

I should probably start with what was wrong and what didn't work...but....Hello? 5 stars...so safe to assume nothing was wrong and everything worked in my world.

From the first page...no scratch that...from the cover because have you looked at it? Seriously if that's Ceaton Mercer and I suspect it is. I'm with Brinley on this one. I'd jump him as soon as he was in the same room with me too...I mean really...damn that's nice...vary, vary nice...ok, back to the
CrabbyPatty

Reading A Day Makes requires a huge suspension of disbelief, but once you take a deep breath, push yourself away from safety and begin that long walk across the unknown, you become totally hooked on this story.

The entire story is told from Ceaton Mercer's POV so we the reader know just as much as Ceaton does about if that bullet is coming or not. We know Ceaton is loyal to a fault, honest with himself and knows the importance of family, whether it's family by blood or bond. He's trying to make
Karen
No surprises here...

It was an audio book written by Mary Calmes and narrated by Greg Tremblay...so no surprises at all I wanted it and it was awesome.

I read this book when it was released back in April of this year and I loved it...5 stars worth, that hasn't changed and has become my habit I'm not going to waste time re-writing what I've already written, so here's the link to my original review...Original Review: A Day Makes

The only change here is the addition of Greg Tremblay's voice as the n
Makhda
This is what I've been waiting for. The moment I was so drunk with Calmes crack. 'You never know' is the last book I've read from Mrs. Calmes. And it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But I know I shouldn't judge everything. So I just go with this. And I'm glad I did.
Leaundra
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it of course. I loved how she made me love Ceaton and his friends. You have to read it to find out who his love interest is. A lot of things happen that I don't want to spoil. Just to let you know when they got together I loved him and they were perfect for each other. I really hope this is a series...
Adam
3.5 stars, rounded up

Mary Calmes delivers yet another OTT winner!

As always, Greg Tremblay deserves all the stars. The man's a genius narrator!

I fell for Ceaton pretty quickly. He's got everything I'd expect from an MC of Mary's making: strong and broody, with a not-so-perfect past. Also, he's adept at making people disappear - permanently.

Ceaton's a great catch, really!

Ceaton's love interest is Brin, a marine researcher who finds Ceaton absolutely fascinating. At first, Ceaton isn't entirely sur
Trio
Best Mary Calmes I've read in a long while. Greg Tremblay was perfection *mwah*!
Angela
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, calibre
Ceaton?
Like Keaton but with a 'C?'
Gotta love romance novel hero names.

ETA:
I've been reliably informed it is pronounced like "Sea-ton." Not that that changes my opinion of romance novel hero names, but good to know!

So... what to say about this?

Overall I enjoyed it, though I'm not as accepting of the insta-love aspect like so many other readers. I tend to reserve judgement about insta-love if the book is paranormal (who am I to roll my eyes at the 'destined mates' trope) but I don't buy it in co
Bo
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounded up to 4.

I did enjoy this, but not as much as her other novels. I needed more of the couple together. I felt it needed another 100 pages or so. However, I still love Mary Calmes. It's her characters that draw me in and leave me wanting more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Murder and Mayhem (Murder and Mayhem, #1)
  • Fishy Riot (Saturday Barbies, #1)
  • Betrothed: A Faery Tale
  • Private Truths
  • The Tinder Chronicles: Complete 3-Volume Series
  • Sinner's Fall (Brooklyn Sinners, #4)
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • Into the Lyons Den (Assassin/Shifter, #16)
  • Queer Magick (Queer Magick, #1)
  • How to Raise an Honest Rabbit (Granby Knitting, #2)
  • Out of the Ashes (Asheville Arcana #1)
  • The Sun Goes Down (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #4)
  • Be Fairy Game (Starfig Investigations, #2)
  • The Merchant of Death (Playing the Fool, #2)
  • Lord Mouse
Mary Calmes believes in romance, happily ever afters, and the faith it takes for her characters to get there. She bleeds coffee, thinks chocolate should be its own food group, and currently lives in Kentucky with a five-pound furry ninja that protects her from baby birds, spiders and the neighbor’s dogs. To stay up to date on her ponderings and pandemonium (as well as the adventures of the ninja) ...more

The Vault (2 books)
  • Late in the Day (The Vault, #2)
“If being in bed with the wrong person could shatter you, could being in bed with the right one change your life?” 3 likes
“They totally believed you,” he said, ignoring me. “I’ve never gotten them to go away like that. I always end up having to—”
“We’re leaving, come on.”
Instant scowl. “No, no, no, I’m about to get laid.”
“Is that right?”
He pointed at me. “You kissed me back.”
I chuckled. “Yeah, I did. I shouldn’t have, but I did.”
“Yes, you certainly should have. You need to wrap your brain around being both protective and possessive.”
“Do I?”
He nodded. “Yes. And I have faith in you. I think you’re a multitasker. I could tell that about you right away.”
“You could, could you?”
“Uh-huh. And I say you can take care of me and have me all at the same time.”
Jesus, he was a handful.”
1 likes