Start by marking “The Midnight Line (Jack Reacher, #22)” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Line (Jack Reacher, #22)

The Midnight Line

(Jack Reacher #22)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  46,711 ratings  ·  3,832 reviews

THE NUMBER ONE BESTSELLER NOW A RICHARD & JUDY BOOKCLUB 2018 PICK
Jack Reacher is having a bad day.
It would be a dumb idea to make it worse.
Reacher sees a West Point class ring in a pawn shop window. It’s tiny. It's a woman cadet’s graduation present to herself. Why would she give it up? Reacher was a West Pointer too, and he knows what she went through to get it.
All

Published November 7th 2017 by Transworld Digital

·  46,711 ratings  ·  3,832 reviews

Ace
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jack Reacher. You could call him Bigfoot. You could call him The Hulk. But you could never call him Tom Cruise.
Tim
Dec 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There once was a character named Reacher
Who whupped on bad dudes like a creature
Now Reacher's a shell of his once former self
With writing so lame, so timid, so tame
Jack's damn near a pacifist preacher.

Child loves to bore us with lists
And gives Reacher chickens for fists
His glory days are done
Reacher's no longer fun
He should just amble off in the mist. (Teri Pre)

I read what you wrote it was good
Compact and concise, understood
Too bad Child cannot see
Jack stumble so miserably
He'd write better if on
Matt
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Lee Child is back with the twenty-second high-impact Jack Reacher novel that pulls on various aspects of current affairs, while addressing some large tears in the military fabric of the United States. While strolling through a Wisconsin town, Reacher comes across a petite West Point ring from the graduating class of 2005. With little on his plate and nothing to lose, Reacher begins asking questions, in hopes of returning the ring to its rightful owner. Reacher discovers that there is a fencing o ...more
Susan Johnson
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best Jack Reacher books ever. It's not even in comparison to the last two so-so books. It is simply one of the best and has everything in it that has made us fall in love with Reacher and follow the 6'5", 250 pound former military policeman who ambles across America with no real destination or goal in mind. He travels lightly with only a toothbrush and buys his clothes at thrift stores rather than launder him. He has that American wanderlust that has led to the settlement of o ...more
Bibi
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The year is 1997, Heathrow terminal 4, and by some luck I bought, Killing Floor, the riveting and action-packed start to the JR series and now, 20 years and 22 books on with the latest being The Midnight Line, I mourn the loss of the real and enigmatic JR.

In all honesty, I think I've outgrown this character or perhaps the central premise of a nomad-like hero who lives free from any and all encumbrance seems implausible in this digital era amid a growing security and terrorism war.

The Midnight L
Paula Kalin
The Midnight Line is all about honor. Jack Reacher comes upon a West Point ring in a pawn shop and wants to return it to it’s owner. The book is set in the wide open Midwest and Lee Child makes you feel as if you are there. The dialogue is smart and very entertaining. Terrific repertoire.

The series usually has one intelligent woman involved in Reacher’s story, but this time there are three: a wounded West Point grad, her sister, and a local detective.

I read all the Reacher books and love them a
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
Before I get any fans upset about my review, a three star from me denotes a good book. So that stated I will say I know this series has millions of fans who would probably read a grocery list written by Mr. Child. My husband is a fan and we thought we’d have a little buddy read. He has read all of the Jack Reacher books so he filled me in on the background of the character as I didn’t think there would be much in this book describing Jack since it’s the 22nd book (that’s just crazy) in the serie ...more
Phrynne
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
I really enjoyed this twenty second outing with Jack Reacher. It started out smart and funny and developed into an excellent story.

Of course Jack's latest girlfriend from the last book disappeared instantly. Not surprising really since he doesn't own a suitcase let alone a house. Not good relationship material. Good story material though which of course is why we all keep reading him:)

Basically a brilliant way of passing a few hours without overtaxing the brain. One star off for a poor ending. A
Andrew Smith
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’d taken a brief sojourn from the Reacher books. For a while they’d felt samey and contrived. The big man was also starting to feel way too predictable with his habits, his and his incessant coffee drinking and the like. And not only that, the stories were now clearly formulaic and, frankly, dull. But then a friend lent me this book and I was glad to have it, pleased to be meeting up with the modern day knight errant again.

This time he’s in Wyoming, a state bigger than the United Kingdom but wi
Paul Falk
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
For the 22nd time, Lee Child's creation of Jack Reacher, came rip-roaring back to life onto the streets, alleyways and bars. Right at home. Although getting a little played out, I'm still captivated by the life of the fifty-something year-old wandering nomad - American Hero. The main draw of this popular character-driven narrative. At the drop of a hat, he went whenever and wherever the wind blew. Sounds like retirement. Although I can't say much for his choice of lifestyle. No suitcase, a tooth ...more
Lisa
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Midnight Line
Jack Reacher #22
Lee Child

An immensely satisfying and emotional journey with America’s giant hero, Jack Reacher and his tooth brush.

⭐⭐⭐⭐

SUMMARY
Reacher is off to another unknown destination when sees a 2005 West Point class ring in the window of a pawnshop in a small town in Wisconsin. It’s a small ring, made for a woman and has a black stone in the middle. Some initials are engraved inside the ring. Reacher ponders what circumstances could possible make a West Pointer give up a
Bibi
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

The Midnight L
Bharath
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Reacher novels are always great to relax with. He is a character who keeps the book going quickly – however implausible some of the stuff he does is. This book follows the trend, though I personally found the story to be somewhat weak in comparison to many other Jack Reacher novels.

Jack Reacher is wandering around the country – with nothing except a toothbrush, as he always does. He comes across a West Point ring with the initials S.R.S engraved in a pawn shop. A ring obtained after much ef
Jim
I would like to start off by indicating that 3 stars means that I liked the book. I have read all of the books in this series so when I saw there was a new Jack Reacher book being released I wanted to read it. I am not sure how old Reacher is supposed to be but he is still hitchhiking and taking the bus carrying only a toothbrush. I cannot remember the last time I saw a hitchhiker. Where Lee Child really gets ridiculous is in describing Reacher as having hands the size of a supermarket chicken a ...more
Brenda
When the bus made a rest stop, Reacher stretched his legs for a time. The stroll past the pawn shop would change his destination and change his future. Because the small, delicate ring in the window was an engraved West Point class ring from 2005 and Reacher knew no one who worked that hard would give it up. So he would take the ring and follow the trail back to its owner…

Reacher found himself following criminals – from one step to another. But would it lead him to the woman? And was she alright
Brenda
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a long time Reacher Creature, I went into this book blind. My only expectation was that Reacher would get himself into a situation, and he did. This is a good one. Very enjoyable.
Monnie
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By now - the 22nd book in the series - Jack Reacher seems like an old friend. And like most old friends, he's welcome to visit my home any time he wants. Thankfully, though, he's not the real deal and I don't need to feed him; at 6 feet 5 and not far from 300 pounds, this former West Pointer wouldn't make it much beyond breakfast on what we've got in our fridge.

Speaking of West Point, the academy provides the impetus for this story. On his way to nowhere in particular from a short stretch in Haw
Antigone
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twenty-two.

Lee Child has written twenty-two stories about Army veteran Jack Reacher and his restless journey across these United States. Twenty-two towns, twenty-two dangers, twenty-two times at literary bat and he's still got me racing from cover to cover. (Which is always a problem, as you well know, because of meals and sleep and outer-worldly duties that force one to come up with politic ways to say to the general public, "Hey, I'm reading here!" without sounding too much like Ratso Rizzo.)
Ken
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I enjoy the character of Reacher, I’ve found some of the more recent novels to be a bit underwhelming.
Thankfully it seems that the series is back on form!

I much prefer Reacher to be the lone traveller forcing himself into solving mysteries and helping those that are disadvantaged, so I was delighted to see that this entry followed on from the 20th story in the series ‘Make Me’ ( which has been my favourite of the recent novels).

Whilst traveling through Wisconsin, Reacher happens to no
Perri
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cue Carly Simon: Nobody does it better. Makes me feel sad for the rest.

I read and enjoy a lot of thriller books and it seems by comparison that some writers are trying way too hard with less result. Child just makes it seems so darn easy. Additional props for unexpected humorous bits. "Cowboys are the worst.. Not much I can do to them that a horse already hasn't"

Nobody does it half as good as you. Reacher, you're the best
Cody
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*This review has drawn ire from a few fellow readers of the series. While I welcome a healthy conversation where I might be right or wrong, it would be appreciative if the conversation stayed productive without being impolite. This review represents my humble opinion among many other good reviews that found this book to be great. I can appreciate a variety of opinions on the book but I would kindly ask again that the conversation stay polite. Thank you.

Ugh. That would be the one word to describe
James Thane
This is another very good entry in the Jack Reacher series. By now the formula is fairly well set, and as this book opens, Reacher is strolling through a small town in Wisconsin. Looking into the window of a pawnshop, he happens to notice in the display a class ring from West Point. Such a ring is very hard to earn and Reacher wonders why someone might pawn one.

His curiosity aroused, Reacher buys the ring and attempts to trace it back to its original owner, a task that will be much easier said t
William
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5-Stars.
W O W. This story has real heart and power. Starting about half-way through we see a whole new level of writing from Child. This is by far my favourite Reacher.

As is often the case when the story starts, Reacher is drifting through small-town America, and notices a West Point graduation ring in a pawn shop window. A simple start, but the complexity increases steadily.

Again we have strong female characters, feminine but powerful and smart. There's a villain in mostly a supporting ro
Roy
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After my last Jack Reacher experience I said that was it. I however received this as a gift over the holiday season and gave it a shot. Its definitely an improvement from his last few attempts however I still feel as if Jack Reacher suffers from the same issues. A drifter who wants to be left alone would just be that, he wouldnt be curious about a ring in a pawn shop. I also love character development but I feel like his character has stalled and really cant do much more with him. Alot better th ...more
Terence M
Audiobook - 11:17 Hours - 3.5 out of 5.0 stars
(I am not a particularly high marker, so 3.0 is a good mark for me.)
Narrator: Jeff Harding - the perfect replacement for Dick Hill.
I am pleased to say that in "The Midnight Line", Reacher #22, Lee Child appears to have returned to the mode of writing (I refuse to use 'formula') that made the character of Jack Reacher such a success. I've read/listened to them all, many of them more than once, some more than twice and this book is as good as any of t
Kathi Defranc
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reacher follows his moral code, seeking the owner of West Point ring...

I thoroughly enjoyed another ride with Jack Reacher, as I have since book one! Lee Child swung back to the Big guy we know and love, buying a ticket and getting on a bus to the next town where he notes a class ring from West Point in a pawn shop. The ring is small, probably a woman's, and having gone there himself he knows what she had to go through to finish. Why would someone give up such a sacred keepsake?!
Reacher decide
Nigel
2 stars - not quite a pass. Fairly humdrum addition to the Reacher series, a series that I read as a guilty pleasure, a break from other, better novels. Normally, however, this series still is good to read, with a reasonable amount of suspense, action and plot. This edition, however, was not far from being boring. Repetitious, dull at times, even the action sequences were repeats of each other, but the biggest disappointment was the limp ending - after spending nearly 400 pages building up to a ...more
Bill Lynas
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After more than 20 books Jack Reacher still drifts into a new town where he is caught up in a world of intrigue, villains & fist fights.
Yes, it's the formula as before.....but I still love it! However, there are times when the novel moves away from the expected & Lee Child creates some genuine moments of sadness and humanity.
The tagline on the cover of the book says "A righteous avenger for our troubled times-we all need Jack Reacher." I, for one, cannot argue with that.
Bam
Just in time for Veteran's Day, another Jack Reacher book has been released, which examines what happens to wounded servicemen and women when they come home.

After Michelle Chang leaves Reacher, he climbs on yet another bus and heads north. At a rest break, he spots a West Point ring in a pawn shop and is moved to find out more about the owner. Reacher runs into resistance right away but learns enough to begin following a trail that leads him to South Dakota, then Wyoming, where he teams up with
Pamela Small
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a few so-so books, Lee Child is back in the game and Reacher is back to form! THE MIDNIGHT LINE is one of the best in the series. It offers a good plot with building suspense and a totally satisfying denouement. It enlightens readers on the plight of people with serious physical injuries in need of pain medication and the insidious nature of pharmaceutical drug trafficking.
Look at this! 3 75 May 31, 2018 05:17AM
Play Book Tag: The Midnight Line by Lee Child - 4 stars 1 21 Nov 23, 2017 07:44AM

• The Bomb Maker
  • The Wanted (Elvis Cole, #17; Joe Pike, #6)
  • Sniper's Honor (Bob Lee Swagger, #9)
  • Exit Strategy (Nick Mason, #2)
  • Twisted Prey (Lucas Davenport, #28)
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Bella
  • Burning Bright (Peter Ash, #2)
  • Order to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #15)
  • The Ambushers (Matt Helm, #6)
  • Forever and a Day
  • Salvation Row (John Milton #6)
  • The Nowhere Man (Orphan X #2)
  • Quarry's Choice (Quarry #12)
  • Vanishing Games (Jack White, #2)
  • The Bone Orchard (Mike Bowditch, #5)
  • The Disappeared (Joe Pickett, #18)
  • Who is Conrad Hirst?
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr ...more

Jack Reacher (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)
  • Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)
  • Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)
  • Running Blind (Jack Reacher, #4)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
  • Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)
  • Persuader (Jack Reacher, #7)
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10)
“I could tell you, but then I’d have to bill you.” 3 likes
“The Zip Code is about the size of Chicago. With five people. But hey, welcome to Wyoming.” 3 likes